SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: Transit Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101657)

Attrill Jan 10, 2008 10:04 PM

He won't sign it until he figures out how to spin it into HIS great idea. Time to light the torches and mobilize the peasantry.

aaron38 Jan 10, 2008 10:07 PM

Quote:

UPDATE: SPRINGFIELD -- State lawmakers today passed a bill to fund Chicago-area mass transit with a sales tax increase, but Gov. Rod Blagojevich said he wouldn't go along until lawmakers agreed with his requirement to provide free bus and train rides for the state's senior citizens.
Oh come on! Is that really what we need right now, holding up funding for the entire city to give a perk to the seniors?

Sure that'd be great, who doesn't like free stuff, but we need to fight the real problems first. I'm supporting a raise in my sales taxes to keep the trains running for ALL Chicago, not to give out free rides.

Sign the damn bill boy wonder.

BVictor1 Jan 10, 2008 10:11 PM

Blagojevich holds up transit funding

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/...1/34671192.jpg
CTA President Ron Huberman waits to meet with Governor Blagojevich after Illinois lawmakers passed a bill to fund Chicago-area mass transit. (Tribune photo by José Moré / January 10, 2008)

By Ray Long and Jeffrey Meitrodt | Tribune staff reporters
3:34 PM CST, January 10, 2008

UPDATE: SPRINGFIELD -- State lawmakers today passed a bill to fund Chicago-area mass transit with a sales tax increase, but Gov. Rod Blagojevich said he wouldn't go along until lawmakers agreed with his requirement to provide free bus and train rides for the state's senior citizens.

j korzeniowski Jan 10, 2008 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 3273635)

that's when i reach for my revolver ...

seriously, looks like huberman is about to draw. he also looks like ben stiller. he also looks like he is pissed.

i am numb right now. i just can't fucking believe it.

Mr Downtown Jan 10, 2008 10:16 PM

What???? Where did this come from? Why give free rides to seniors, who are statistically one of the wealthiest age groups? Couldn't be because they are also most likely to vote, could it?

ardecila Jan 10, 2008 10:16 PM

Hold up.... why is this such a big deal?

All the legislature can do is pass feel-good bills like the "moment of silence" crap. This fits right in with that theme, and provides Blago with a way to politically save face while allowing the tax increases that CTA/Metra/Pace need.

I honestly can't see too much opposition in the legislature to providing free rides to seniors (who also vote, btw). It pulls more seniors off the roads, who are often accident-prone, especially when they have sight or hearing impairments. How many seniors take mass transit anyway? The revenue loss wouldn't be huge, right?

ardecila Jan 10, 2008 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j korzeniowski (Post 3273647)
that's when i reach for my revolver ...

seriously, looks like huberman is about to draw. he also looks like ben stiller. he also looks like he is pissed.

i am numb right now. i just can't fucking believe it.

Huberman might be simply tired and pissed at being photographed through a window like Britney Spears. He IS staring directly at the camera.

aaron38 Jan 10, 2008 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 3273650)
I honestly can't see too much opposition in the legislature to providing free rides to seniors (who also vote, btw). It pulls more seniors off the roads, who are often accident-prone, especially when they have sight or hearing impairments. How many seniors take mass transit anyway? The revenue loss wouldn't be huge, right?

The only oppostion is in figuring out who gets stuck with the bill.
If the state wants to give free rides, fine. But pass the funding first, then go decide which other program to cut to get the funding.

Because Illinois isn't running a surplus, so the money has to come from somewhere.

Chicago3rd Jan 10, 2008 10:31 PM

Hah Hah...you all wanted him so bad in office. He and Stroger made me vote Republican for the first time and this is exactly why. The man is not in touch with reality! So I am pissed at him...but more pissed at all the voters who put the crook in office!

This is the FIRST we have heard of such a thing from Bagofshit.

j korzeniowski Jan 10, 2008 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 3273650)
Hold up.... why is this such a big deal?

All the legislature can do is pass feel-good bills like the "moment of silence" crap. This fits right in with that theme, and provides Blago with a way to politically save face while allowing the tax increases that CTA/Metra/Pace need.

well, i am under the impression that this could still fail. the senate and house have to vote on this all over again, don't they? if they do, i am worried as hell that the senate will fall 1 vote shy again.

if there is no chance this fails, fine, let the seniors ride in the engineer's cabin for all i care. i just can't believe he doesn't sign it and alleviate millions of riders' (well, hundreds of thousands) worries and sign the damn thing.

MayorOfChicago Jan 10, 2008 10:33 PM

Huberman's kinda cute...

but anyway.

W. T. F.!?!?!?

You have GOT to be kidding me that our worthless gov. is throwing this random crap in at the last second. Why in gods name couldn't he have mentioned this 2 months ago. Is he just doing this on purpose now? Or is he really just an 11 year old boy who likes to get a rise out of people?

Who wants to grab some torches and drive down to Springfield with me.

nomarandlee Jan 10, 2008 10:33 PM

Anyone think Blago really doesn't want the transit thing sorted out? I mean is know he has strange ideas and has poor people skills but I can't think of a more irresponsible maneuver then changing the goal post at the 11th hour and making a new demand out of nowhere right when things become sorted. I don't have a problem with the demand itself but it should have been made weeks/months ago and is boderline criminal to raise at the 11th hour.

spyguy Jan 10, 2008 10:51 PM

Let's just hope the Feds get him before it's too late.

honte Jan 10, 2008 10:56 PM

^ Just what I was thinking. Can't we start the requisite gubernatorial indictment ceremony a few years early this time?

Chicago3rd Jan 10, 2008 11:06 PM

Everyone light a candle for Fitzgerald!

the urban politician Jan 11, 2008 2:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 3273649)
What???? Where did this come from? Why give free rides to seniors, who are statistically one of the wealthiest age groups?

^ What about seniors who ride the CTA? I don't tend to think of wealth when I see an 80 year old lady on a bus.

I'm optimistic. Even though Blago is being a twit right now, this law will serve me well about 34 (damn that number keeps getting smaller) years from now

ardecila Jan 11, 2008 3:13 AM

Roughly 75% of Chicagoans oppose free rides for seniors, according to a Tribune poll.

Chicago3rd Jan 11, 2008 3:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 3274201)
^ What about seniors who ride the CTA? I don't tend to think of wealth when I see an 80 year old lady on a bus.

I'm optimistic. Even though Blago is being a twit right now, this law will serve me well about 34 (damn that number keeps getting smaller) years from now

Guess you haven't live in Lakeview, Lincoln Park or Gold Coast...lol.

Why would you want to subsidize wealthy people? I stated the poor seniors...that is enough. And they needn't ride during rush hour free either.

Chicago3rd Jan 11, 2008 3:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 3274223)
Roughly 75% of Chicagoans oppose free rides for seniors, according to a Tribune poll.

I wish the Tribune would have asked a better question. Like was this the right time to interject this idea into the issue.....lol. Makes those of us who voted no on this poll look nasty.

Abner Jan 11, 2008 3:46 AM

Is there any transit system in America where seniors ride free? How would the CTA even implement such a harebrained policy?

the urban politician Jan 11, 2008 3:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 3274223)

^ No roughly 75% people who read the Tribune oppose free rides for seniors ;)

the urban politician Jan 11, 2008 3:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abner (Post 3274271)
Is there any transit system in America where seniors ride free? How would the CTA even implement such a harebrained policy?

^ I guess I've foundly found a use for that fake white beard in my closet

k1052 Jan 11, 2008 4:16 AM

I'm not sure if our political situation in this state would be called a comedy or a tragedy if it was made into a play.

Our governor is a sulking child and the legislature amounts to a pimp convention.

VivaLFuego Jan 11, 2008 4:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 3273649)
Couldn't be because they are also most likely to vote, could it?

Couldn't be. And we all know seniors can't afford the $1 fare they currently pay, and that if they didn't have the money those cruel bus drivers would surely throw them off the bus...

VivaLFuego Jan 11, 2008 4:27 AM

Quote:

There is a "free ride" button on the fareboxes....and of course seniors would have to show some ID verifying that they are, in fact, older than dirt.

the urban politician Jan 11, 2008 4:59 AM

^ They should just brand all seniors' forearms. Then they can simply run their arms over barcodes to enter train platforms and buses

honte Jan 11, 2008 5:37 AM

Chicago should pass a rule to simply exterminate anyone who dares live here beyond age 65.

There, I improved the transit bill. Are we done yet?

LaSalle.St.Station Jan 11, 2008 6:25 AM

Damn that's a bit of fare box revenue the CTA has to write off from now on... good luck making the fare box recovery ratio now.

Attrill Jan 11, 2008 6:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaSalle.St.Station (Post 3274589)
... good luck making the fare box recovery ratio now.

That's a great point I hadn't thought of (not that I supported it anyways). Blago is truly an idiot.

BVictor1 Jan 11, 2008 7:18 AM

If they are going to go this route, then I do believe that there should be a small fee. I believe the the tax rates that will go into effect will only cover operational cost. It woun't help purchase new equipment. If seniors are to ride the CTA, and the gov' want to make the burden less, seniors should pay a 1-time yearly fee of say $50 - $100 bucks, then this money could go to maintainence.

Chicago Shawn Jan 11, 2008 8:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaSalle.St.Station (Post 3274589)
Damn that's a bit of fare box revenue the CTA has to write off from now on... good luck making the fare box recovery ratio now.

Right, so how do we know the sales tax increase will even cover the projeced deficit now? The numbers need to be re-crunched. If he wants to propose such a thing then reaserch it first and provide the funds otherwise this shit starts all over agian the next time the opperating budget is calulated. BagAssoBitch, you Fucking Assclown.

the urban politician Jan 11, 2008 2:47 PM

^ Perhaps it has already been studied?

MayorOfChicago Jan 11, 2008 3:03 PM

Don't these people already get reduced fares!?!?!?

I don't think a LOT of seniors are pissing their pants over having to pay $35 a month for a transit pass, or .85 each ride........

I swear Blago is doing this on purpose, there's no other reason why he'd be doing this RIGHT NOW.

MayorOfChicago Jan 11, 2008 3:08 PM

I love this quote from the front page of the Sun Times today!

They listed out who we should blame, and this was one of them:

Quote:

Many Downstate legislators: After Chicago legislators agreed to force Chicago-based ComEd's parent company Exelon to subsidize lower rates for Downstate Ameren's customers, many Downstate legislators showed their gratitude by refusing to support a mass transit proposal that is funded solely by the Chicago region yet funnels millions to Downstate mass transit districts. Some are professional Chicago haters, others wanted to force Speaker Madigan to agree to a statewide capital plan. Many simply can't understand the importance of public transit because they've never used public transit and don't know anyone who has.

Attrill Jan 11, 2008 3:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 3275008)
^ Perhaps it has already been studied?

Would you like to place a bet on that? What Blago has basically done is to scribble "old people no pay" in crayon at the bottom of the bill and called it an amendment.

I'm sure there are ways it could be done (i.e. money is set aside to a fund that reimburses CTA/PACE/Metra for each ride), but they haven't even done a serious study to see how much it will cost. This is not the sort of thing you spring as a surprise less than 2 weeks before a critical deadline.

aaron38 Jan 11, 2008 3:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k1052 (Post 3274340)
I'm not sure if our political situation in this state would be called a comedy or a tragedy if it was made into a play.

Definitely a greek tragedy.
Have you seen Avenue Q? We're the Schadenfreude for the rest of the country.
(German for 'Happiness at the misfortune of others')

pip Jan 11, 2008 3:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago (Post 3275065)
I love this quote from the front page of the Sun Times today!

Many Downstate legislators: After Chicago legislators agreed to force Chicago-based ComEd's parent company Exelon to subsidize lower rates for Downstate Ameren's customers, many Downstate legislators showed their gratitude by refusing to support a mass transit proposal that is funded solely by the Chicago region yet funnels millions to Downstate mass transit districts. Some are professional Chicago haters, others wanted to force Speaker Madigan to agree to a statewide capital plan. Many simply can't understand the importance of public transit because they've never used public transit and don't know anyone who has.

They listed out who we should blame, and this was one of them:

Unbelievable. What a bunch of loser freeloaders. And the irony is they are the conservative part of the state. You know the mantra of self sufficiency.

Haworthia Jan 11, 2008 3:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron38 (Post 3275129)
Definitely a greek tragedy.
Have you seen Avenue Q? We're the Schadenfreude for the rest of the country.
(German for 'Happiness at the misfortune of others')

I think the word we're looking for is travesty.

Personally, I'm opposed to the free ride plan. If the CTA is having funding issues, why propose a way to make the system less sustainable? I just think it's a way for Blag to score political points.

Have I mentioned that I hate our Governor?

So is Avenue Q that musical with the Rated R muppets?

j korzeniowski Jan 11, 2008 3:49 PM

Quote:

i have read it would be first-in-the-nation. i assume that seniors would apply for, and receive, special chicago smart cards.

i still cannot believe that he brought that up now. why not mention it effing two days ago?! twat.

VivaLFuego Jan 11, 2008 4:51 PM

It's actually a pretty complicated proposal, but you wouldn't get that by listening to Blagojevich. By having seniors ride free, and costing CTA about $20 million a year (those seem to be the estimates floating around), that actually messes with the statutory recovery ratio of system-generated revenue, which means implementing such a thing would require either a fare increase or service reduction to maintain the recovery ratio, unless the RTA Act were amended to specifically allow free senior rides to be credited as system-generated revenue, or something of that sort. Of course, such legislative minutia is of no interest whatsoever to Rod, given that he keeps pulling all of this last minute shit out of his blagojevich.

VivaLFuego Jan 11, 2008 4:52 PM

Lost in all the hoopla, and seemingly receiving no coverage anywhere, there is a 2008 CMAQ grant to support weekend Yellow Line service. I'm not sure when this service would start, but it's pretty cool news, I think. It certainly will go a long way towards supporting Skokie's efforts in making their downtown (anchored by a new Oakton station) into a retail/recreational/employment destination.

Quote:

A $303,000 grant will help the Chicago Transit Authority operate weekend service on the Yellow Line rail branch. The CTA will implement weekend service on the Yellow Line and operate from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays with a frequency of approximately every 12 to 20 minutes. The service would link Skokie, the Howard Red Line station and several CTA and Pace bus routes the serve regional employers with the rest of the CTA rail network.
Also of interest in CMAQ:
- $17 million towards renovation of Clark/Division subway station (CDOT project). This is (potentially) really great news, because the money previously set aside for Clark/Division was reapportioned to support the Grand/State rehab. For $17 million, I doubt the renovation will be spectacular (considering Grand is costing $60mil), but anything is better than its current state, which is arguably the worst and most disgusting in the system. Judging by the progamming of the funds, construction would occur sometime between 2009-2011. The previous number I had seen for this rehab was $33 million, so I wonder if the revised amount is basically just elevator installation, a fresh coat of paint, some spiffed up light fixtures, and new signage. Of course, this isn't the first time this station has appeared in the capital program, so until there's a contract award for reconstruction, I won't hold my breath.
- $7 million for the replacement of the 35th Street Pedestrian Bridge over LSD with a new bridge that is ADA-compliant and will accomodate bicycles; a CDOT project. I'm of mixed opinion on this, because the old bridge is kind of cool, if a bit dilapidated. I have no idea what the design of the new bridge will be.
- Several signal interconnect projects on major Chicago arterials (Cicero, Roosevelt, 79th), about $5-8 million each.
- About $1 million for "improvements" to the #47, #50, #52, #59, #73, and #152 bus routes. I don't know what these improvements are, but I would guess a combination of improved frequency and above all, expanded hours of operation (the #73 and #152 for example end mysteriously early in the evening).

Chicago Shawn Jan 11, 2008 5:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VivaLFuego (Post 3275290)
It's actually a pretty complicated proposal, but you wouldn't get that by listening to Blagojevich. By having seniors ride free, and costing CTA about $20 million a year (those seem to be the estimates floating around), that actually messes with the statutory recovery ratio of system-generated revenue, which means implementing such a thing would require either a fare increase or service reduction to maintain the recovery ratio, unless the RTA Act were amended to specifically allow free senior rides to be credited as system-generated revenue, or something of that sort. Of course, such legislative minutia is of no interest whatsoever to Rod, given that he keeps pulling all of this last minute shit out of his blagojevich.

It would be real nice if we could just bill medicare $0.85 for each ride and send the charges to Washington. Seems fair considering the feds axed the paratransit subsidy. Which actually brings up another question to mind, does the free rides idea include paratransit too? I know PACE took over that respsonsibilty, but the extra money needs to come from somwhere.

Chicago Shawn Jan 11, 2008 5:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VivaLFuego (Post 3275294)
Lost in all the hoopla, and seemingly receiving no coverage anywhere, there is a 2008 CMAQ grant to support weekend Yellow Line service. I'm not sure when this service would start, but it's pretty cool news, I think. It certainly will go a long way towards supporting Skokie's efforts in making their downtown (anchored by a new Oakton station) into a retail/recreational/employment destination.

Also of interest in CMAQ:
- $17 million towards renovation of Clark/Division subway station (CDOT project). This is (potentially) really great news, because the money previously set aside for Clark/Division was reapportioned to support the Grand/State rehab. For $17 million, I doubt the renovation will be spectacular (considering Grand is costing $60mil), but anything is better than its current state, which is arguably the worst and most disgusting in the system. Judging by the progamming of the funds, construction would occur sometime between 2009-2011. The previous number I had seen for this rehab was $33 million, so I wonder if the revised amount is basically just elevator installation, a fresh coat of paint, some spiffed up light fixtures, and new signage. Of course, this isn't the first time this station has appeared in the capital program, so until there's a contract award for reconstruction, I won't hold my breath.
- $7 million for the replacement of the 35th Street Pedestrian Bridge over LSD with a new bridge that is ADA-compliant and will accomodate bicycles; a CDOT project. I'm of mixed opinion on this, because the old bridge is kind of cool, if a bit dilapidated. I have no idea what the design of the new bridge will be.
- Several signal interconnect projects on major Chicago arterials (Cicero, Roosevelt, 79th), about $5-8 million each.
- About $1 million for "improvements" to the #47, #50, #52, #59, #73, and #152 bus routes. I don't know what these improvements are, but I would guess a combination of improved frequency and above all, expanded hours of operation (the #73 and #152 for example end mysteriously early in the evening).

Very cool news all around. The new bridge at 35th Street was designed by Teng and Associates, and is a pretty slick design.

Mr Downtown Jan 11, 2008 6:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn (Post 3275392)
does the free rides idea include paratransit too?

No, according to this morning's Tribune.

Chicago3rd Jan 11, 2008 6:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VivaLFuego (Post 3275290)

Which means those of us who are paying more taxes for the CTA/RTA will have to pay more at the fare box to bring that ratio up. I tell you he came up with this plan yesterday morning when he was taking his morning crap.

VivaLFuego Jan 11, 2008 6:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn (Post 3275429)
Very cool news all around. The new bridge at 35th Street was designed by Teng and Associates, and is a pretty slick design.

These came up online, is this what you remember seeing?
http://www.architecture.org/drivesit...ein/35-1lg.jpg
http://www.architecture.org/drivesit...ein/35-2lg.jpg
If so I won't mourn the loss of the old bridge, but I'm skeptical this could be built for the $7 million appropriated by CMAQ, so presumably there would be other funds coming from somewhere.

VivaLFuego Jan 11, 2008 6:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicago3rd (Post 3275507)
Which means those of us who are paying more taxes for the CTA/RTA will have to pay more at the fare box to bring that ratio up. I tell you he came up with this plan yesterday morning when he was taking his morning crap.

Actually he claims he came up with it November:
http://thecapitolfaxblog.com/2008/01...e-of-the-month

Quote:

“I was reading a book not long ago about Ronald Reagan’s summit with Mikhail Gorbachev and how it began a whole process of nuclear arms reductions and it was a historic second term for president Reagan in reducing the nuclear arsenal between the Soviet Union and the United States ... So I thought about that and then I thought about real life circumstances, people who take public transportation, thought about my own background growing up with a mother who was a ticket agent for the CTA, thought about the story I just said about my dad when he was a senior citizen and envisioned the possibility that we could find ourselves where this was the only option I had as we approached the precipice of a scenario where there would be drastic service cuts and fare increases, and I thought why not then see what you can do, as I said, turn a lemon into lemonade and make it better, and the idea for seniors came up and that’s where it began and it’s been an idea that I’ve had since before Thanksgiving and one that we are really happy now to have a chance to be able to execute and implement.”
I'm reminded of a few months ago, when he compared himself to Roosevelt. Now he's Reagan, for insisting seniors get free transit rides.

Pandemonious Jan 11, 2008 7:18 PM

Springfield is fucking useless to those of us in Chicago.. perhaps its about time we look back to the ideas thrown around in 1925 and just go ahead and finally secede from the rest of this crappy state and start our own state of Chicago.. we even already have our own cool flag. Chicago is by far the econonomic engine of this state anyway, and we can just start buying our crops from other states too.

Something like 64 percent of Illinois businesses and 70 percent of Illinois employment are located in the Chicago area.

I have heard downstaters whine about having to redirect funds to Chicago, when those funds and more probably came from here anyway. They can go ahead and have the rest of the state, and Blahdickovich can run that into the ground for all I care.

Nowhereman1280 Jan 11, 2008 7:34 PM

I don't think he was comparing himself to Regan, I think he was comparing himself to Gorbachev, fucking communist...

:yuck: :hell: :koko:

That's right, Blago is a commie...

I'll vote for secession in a heartbeat! The worthless bums in Springfield have never done us any good and they just take Chicago's wealth and waste it on building more highways for their SUV's!

VivaLFuego Jan 11, 2008 9:01 PM

It's (unfortunately) against the U.S. Constitution for a new state to secede from another, right? Meaning, a Chicago secession would require a constitutional amendment, not just a referendum.