SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: Transit Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101657)

Busy Bee Jul 19, 2008 5:28 PM

This question has nothing to do with seatless cars, Blago or the RTA. After comparing some 'L' car pictures and other cities rapid transit cars I've noticed that CTA cars have that cow-catching scoop thing completely covering the wheels from the front. What is this called and why do we have it yet other systems, i.e. New York do not?

VivaLFuego Jul 19, 2008 6:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicago3rd (Post 3682504)
Thanks!!!

If you'd bothered reading my posts you also would have noted that I said there are systems that have convertible/foldable seats to convert cars to standing room only.

the urban politician Jul 19, 2008 6:10 PM

^ Viva, that would be a great idea for Chicago.

On another note, though, I'm assuming the CTA would remove these seats in such a way that they could easily be put back in, no?

k1052 Jul 19, 2008 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busy Bee (Post 3682813)
This question has nothing to do with seatless cars, Blago or the RTA. After comparing some 'L' car pictures and other cities rapid transit cars I've noticed that CTA cars have that cow-catching scoop thing completely covering the wheels from the front. What is this called and why do we have it yet other systems, i.e. New York do not?

It is a snow blade. Snow piles up fast where the trains run over solid ground/embankments rather than much of it falling through the elevated structure.

Chicago3rd Jul 20, 2008 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VivaLFuego (Post 3682899)
If you'd bothered reading my posts you also would have noted that I said there are systems that have convertible/foldable seats to convert cars to standing room only.

I had read your post, but for some reason no one including CTA knew which ones. I think I asked that. An I know that CTA will finally put overhead bars/straps in. Never understood their apprehension to having them. For tall people the ones on the back of the seats only helps to throw us off kilter when the lurches happen.

Moving on to funding again...lol

aaron38 Jul 20, 2008 4:51 AM

Okay, so this isn't really a Chicago transportation development, but it's a cool photo.

This is Obama's 757 being painted at Midway Airport
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3277/...4abd3dec73.jpg
Photo credit: Rob Olewinski

jjk1103 Jul 20, 2008 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron38 (Post 3683743)
Okay, so this isn't really a Chicago transportation development, but it's a cool photo.

This is Obama's 757 being painted at Midway Airport
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3277/...4abd3dec73.jpg
Photo credit: Rob Olewinski

........a 757 can land at Midway ???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jjk1103 Jul 20, 2008 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emathias (Post 3681710)
I thought that last one was incineration at first ....

ok......let's just add "incineration" !!!!!!!! :D

honte Jul 20, 2008 2:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjk1103 (Post 3684000)

Change we can believe in...

VivaLFuego Jul 20, 2008 4:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjk1103 (Post 3684000)

Yeah... ATA flew them for a number of years. I do believe it's the largest plane allowed, though.

Dr. Taco Jul 21, 2008 4:09 PM

I love the CTA. they do what they can at all times to let people know they care and they are trying. I might get pissed off at delays and stuff every now and then, but the fact they are trying their hardest makes me feel very good about the CTA

emathias Jul 21, 2008 9:11 PM

Today's Crains:
Transportation system needs modern-day Daniel Burnham

Just the lead-in below, nothing too exciting in the whole thing, mostly just a call for inspired leadership.

Quote:

n 1909, Daniel Burnham, architect, planner and designer of the 1893 World's Fair, published the Plan of Chicago, which envisioned how the city could grow and improve the quality of life for its residents.

Much of it was considered a success: The parks plan resulted in Grant Park, and the boulevard plan resulted in Michigan Avenue.

Chapter 5 of the plan was devoted to transportation. Now, almost 100 years later, what was Burnham's impact on the region's transportation system? Some plans never materialized, and those that did responded to market forces, not the plan.

schwerve Jul 22, 2008 12:34 AM

bustracker looks much much better, good job google.

alex1 Jul 22, 2008 3:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 3682701)
How much capacity is really added with standing only cars? I mean, I'm guessing we're only talking about a few more people per each car, right? It just doesn't seem like seats take up that much space, plus considering that people are actually sitting in those seats, thus it's not exactly a dead space

according to the linked article:

Up to about 90 riders can sit or stand in each car on most standard CTA trains. By yanking out seats and eliminating the aisle, an additional 25 to 50 passengers could be crammed into each car, officials estimated.

the urban politician Jul 22, 2008 3:05 AM

^ So we're talking about a capacity increase of roughly 50 to 100 people per train. That's not too shabby, esp considering that it's not costing the agency a penny

Dr. Taco Jul 22, 2008 7:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emathias (Post 3686391)
Today's Crains:
Transportation system needs modern-day Daniel Burnham

Just the lead-in below, nothing too exciting in the whole thing, mostly just a call for inspired leadership.

is there a way i can read this whole article legally without paying for it?

Busy Bee Jul 23, 2008 2:18 AM

Yeah, the Library———or a chain book store:)

Mr Downtown Jul 23, 2008 3:14 AM

Don't bother. It's a confused and utterly logic-free op-ed piece (not an article) saying Burnham wrote about transportation needs in the Plan of Chicago, and the railroads ignored him and did what they wanted to, and Chicago has transportation needs today, so who's the next Burnham?

And the guy knows nothing about Burnham to begin with. The parks plan didn't result in Grant Park, and the boulevards plan didn't produce Michigan Avenue.

k1052 Jul 23, 2008 1:46 PM

Quote:

Construction on last leg of Blue Line to O'Hare ending early, CTA says
Service to resume Thursday
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...0,440746.story

Done four days early, not to shabby.

the urban politician Jul 23, 2008 2:10 PM

Last updated: July 23, 2008 10:00am
CTA Expecting $100M in Commercial Development
By Gina Kenny News Tip? | Email | Print | Reprints

CHICAGO-The Chicago Transit Authority has hired Jones Lang LaSalle, based here, to increase revenue for the transit authority by adding concessions and retail to some station locations, as well as possibly redeveloping other stations and CTA-owned property. The term of the $4.2 million contract is five years.