SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | BMO Tower | 727 FT | 50 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=224752)

Skyguy_7 Sep 11, 2018 12:40 AM

GOETTSCH Please Read!

It would be GREAT if they could carry the X-bracing at the plaza throughout the tower. Like Hearst, Hancock, 3WTC. Even if it was just through only the center X, from top to bottom. Would take this design from a 5 to a 9/10

The Lurker Sep 11, 2018 12:45 AM

Good news for those who prefered the 3-tier design of 110 N. Wacker, we might be getting it after all. God damn. 2019 Could be another big year for construction starts.

Notyrview Sep 11, 2018 12:53 AM

—-

left of center Sep 11, 2018 12:54 AM

Why are they keeping the park as part of the design? Seems like a waste of space. Its next to a busy bus station, it doesn't seem likely that people will find much peace listening to all the bus engines, squeaky brakes and inhaling all the diesel fumes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 8309850)
It would be GREAT if they could carry the X-bracing at the plaza throughout the tower. Like Hearst, Hancock, 3WTC. Even if it was just through only the center X, from top to bottom. Would take this design from a 5 to a 9/10

Yes! Something like that would definitely jazz up the design. :yes:

chicubs111 Sep 11, 2018 1:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicubs111 (Post 8301183)
New renderings for Union Station office tower acquired

Word is hizzoner worked quietly behind the scenes with Ald. Brendan Reilly (42nd) and Riverside Investment & Development to preserve Union Station and build a new office tower and plaza across the street from the historic train station.

Sneed has also learned an anchor tenant has been already lined up for the building, which will bring several thousand jobs to the city, according to mayoral spokesman Adam Collins.

The new rendering plans will debut at a public community meeting soon before heading to the City Council for approval.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/ne...ower-acquired/

https://suntimesmedia.files.wordpres...0218.jpg?w=763

https://suntimesmedia.files.wordpres...pg?w=463&h=300

So Sneed was spot on with the rumor and graphic few weeks ago... problem is he stated that the the tenant would bring several thousand jobs to the city?...which made us assume it was new jobs to the city and not a relocation from other downtown offices...:hell:

the urban politician Sep 11, 2018 1:11 AM

^ We don’t know if this will be new jobs yet, do we?

chicubs111 Sep 11, 2018 1:16 AM

From Tribune... still not 100% of if there new or relocated from other buildings but recent article seems to assume that it could be moves possibly ...

"BMO Harris currently leases more than 800,000 square feet combined in three downtown buildings — at 115 S. LaSalle St., 111 W. Monroe St. and 200 W. Adams St. Some or all of those workers could be consolidated into the new Union Station space."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...910-story.html

Kumdogmillionaire Sep 11, 2018 1:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Lurker (Post 8309856)
Good news for those who prefered the 3-tier design of 110 N. Wacker, we might be getting it after all. God damn. 2019 Could be another big year for construction starts.

Haha, I want guess I can't complain about it when I look at it that way. I loved the three tier design. I'm wondering if the park will eventually turn into another tower down the line. The first plan for this site had that block with two large office towers and a revamped bus depot

marothisu Sep 11, 2018 1:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicubs111 (Post 8309892)
From Tribune... still not 100% of if there new or relocated from other buildings but recent article seems to assume that it could be moves possibly ...

"BMO Harris currently leases more than 800,000 square feet combined in three downtown buildings — at 115 S. LaSalle St., 111 W. Monroe St. and 200 W. Adams St. Some or all of those workers could be consolidated into the new Union Station space."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...910-story.html

500,000 sq ft is a lot of space - probably anywhere between 3500 and 4000 employees if not more. I can't tell what's what. The Sun Times article says they would bring thousands of new jobs to the city. Does BMO have corporate locations in the suburbs they are looking at consolidating?

I think perhaps some of these articles are confusing BMO Harris with BMO. BMO (Bank of Montreal) has divisions like BMO Capital Markets, BMO Wealth Management, BMO Asset Management, etc. These are all in Chicago as well - and not necessarily "BMO Harris". They are part of Bank of Montreal, the parent of BMO Harris.

BMO is a $16.5B USD company - they could go on a big hiring spree I guess, but I would be really surprised if they wouldn't move some of their other people to this building. They could hire a few thousand people but I somehow doubt 90% of their space in this building would be new hires. But hey, even at 50% that would be a few thousand people.

Kind of confusing though to determine how many people they are looking to hire, if any.

RedCorsair87 Sep 11, 2018 1:52 AM

There still remains some work to do on the design said a source close to this project.

X-Bracing carried up the tower would be awesome. While we are wish-listing, I would like to see this bump to 800Ft.

tjp Sep 11, 2018 2:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marothisu (Post 8309921)
500,000 sq ft is a lot of space - probably anywhere between 3500 and 4000 employees if not more. I can't tell what's what. The Sun Times article says they would bring thousands of new jobs to the city. Does BMO have corporate locations in the suburbs they are looking at consolidating?

They do have a large operations center in Naperville... Banks are so cheap, though, and I'd be surprised if they were planning to move those employees to more expensive space downtown.

r18tdi Sep 11, 2018 4:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 8309870)
Why are they keeping the park as part of the design?

Reilly. Tacking suboptimal quasi-public open space onto projects is his thing.

Mikemak27 Sep 11, 2018 4:16 PM

BMO Harris has an operations center out in naperville. They could consolidate those jobs into this new tower as well. So technically, it is an addition of jobs to the city itself, just not the metropolitan area.

Notyrview Sep 11, 2018 4:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r18tdi (Post 8310491)
Reilly. Tacking suboptimal quasi-public open space onto projects is his thing.

Well, I guess that's one good thing about him.

Mr Downtown Sep 11, 2018 7:20 PM

Where is this forum's rage against "that panderhack" Reilly for not approving the residential addition on top of the Great Hall? Where are the demands for an end to aldermanic prerogative?

Or—when comparing this to the discussions over the Esquire Theater and Giordano's sites—does it turn out that tall shiny objects are more important to some of you guys than principles of planning and urban design?

Notyrview Sep 11, 2018 7:43 PM

Lol everyone on here despises him. It's just sort of pointless unless you actually put it to good use and try to unseat him.

Clarkkent2420 Sep 11, 2018 9:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 8310814)
Where is this forum's rage against "that panderhack" Reilly for not approving the residential addition on top of the Great Hall? Where are the demands for an end to aldermanic prerogative?

Or—when comparing this to the discussions over the Esquire Theater and Giordano's sites—does it turn out that tall shiny objects are more important to some of you guys than principles of planning and urban design?

Notyrview Sep 11, 2018 9:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarkkent2420 (Post 8311014)
The answer to your question is that it is very easy for people to throw opinions out on the internet, especially without having any of the information at hand regarding why and how project planning decisions get made. As a result it's easy for some tall, convoluted sculpture to be better appreciated than great buildings with good site designs.

Anyone can say what they want, but Reilly has overseen the implementation of about 6 acres of public park space in the last 8 years, in connection to private development. People LOVE these parks - especially tenants. The Riverpoint and 150 N Riverside parks have been slammed all summer.

#pay2play

Suiram Sep 11, 2018 9:44 PM

Having a park to go to while waiting for something at Union station would be a plus. And if all the buses keep shifting to electrical the noise and smell would be toned down.

marothisu Sep 12, 2018 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjp (Post 8310368)
They do have a large operations center in Naperville... Banks are so cheap, though, and I'd be surprised if they were planning to move those employees to more expensive space downtown.

Depends on the bank. There have been some banks lately to actually spend more on office space. I know from first hand experience on this.