SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

Steely Dan Mar 20, 2020 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montréaliste (Post 8868825)
You just had to sneak in Donald Fagen in there somewhere didn't you, Steely Dan?

well, to absolutely no one's surprise i'm sure, i'm listening to Pandora's Steely Dan station, as i have been all week.

it beats the snot out of the contemporary rock station we listen to all day everyday at the office (WXRT for chicago people).

SteveD Mar 20, 2020 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subterranean (Post 8868824)
*slowly raises hand*

I've been working from home for 15 years so instead of heading to my neighborhood pub for happy hour it's happy hour here at the Manor.

montréaliste Mar 20, 2020 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8868829)
well, to absolutely no one's surprise i'm sure, i'm listening to Pandora's Steely Dan station, as i have been all week.

it beats the snot out of the contemporary rock station we listen to all day everyday at the office (WXRT for chicago people).

I suck up a lot of Steely Dan too. No worries. Vitamins for these times. Just enough irony to keep me level.

Now, I just need to stock up on guns, ammo and toilet paper. The music is just gonna smooth out the rest...

Pedestrian Mar 20, 2020 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8868798)
With gyms closed, I plan to go for a run in the park every day. I’m not getting out of shape as a result of this.

God forbid!!

Pedestrian Mar 20, 2020 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montréaliste (Post 8868839)
I suck up a lot of Steely Dan too. No worries. Vitamins for these times. Just enough irony to keep me level.

Now, I just need to stock up on guns, ammo and toilet paper. The music is just gonna smooth out the rest...

Grab "Contagion" from Netflicks. Very realistic and it has a happy ending.

bnk Mar 21, 2020 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8868702)
Domino's is hiring 10,000 people to deliver pizzas. Other delivery services are booming too. These ARE good times for a few but you might direct them there if any more come around.

Meanwhile, as above, I assume the only ones still on the street in SF are there by choice, and it WILL be the choice of some, maybe quite a few. They have refused to get involved with the "services" targetted at them for years.

I hate Walmart and would never shop there but

https://www.businessinsider.com/walm...workers-2020-3

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/20/busin...rus/index.html

Walmart, Dollar Tree and 7-Eleven want to hire nearly 200,000 workers as the coronavirus pandemic continues

By Rob McLean, CNN Business

Updated 10:08 AM ET, Fri March 20, 2020

and

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/16/tech/...rus/index.html

Amazon hiring 100,000 new distribution workers to keep up with online shopping surge caused by coronavirus

Yeah the jobs suck but...

I know friends in Wisconsin that have been trying for weeks to apply for unemployment insurance. The phone lines are full, they just cant get though.
The offices are closed. You can do it on line or over the phone, but online has crashed and the phone has like 500 callers ahead of you in line.

One person that started trying calling at 630 am got a real person at 4pm, they stay open taking calls until 730 PM. So they got though to this real person and the woman said that they are no longer taking calls at 4 pm and said call the next day. That was 3 days ago. So still its almost impossible to file for first time unemployment where my friends are at.

Pedestrian Mar 21, 2020 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWAK (Post 8868803)
The lockdown is similar to the power outages and since I live in a rural area it's not that much of a difference. The essential places had generators already and more stores purchased them by round 2.

Maybe round 3, which you know is coming (PG&E has already issued the threat) will be simultaneous with coronavirus and you won't even notice.

sopas ej Mar 21, 2020 12:08 AM

Just got home from buying the 2 bottles of mead from Total Wine & Spirits. On my drive home from there, people in Pasadena were out walking about, jogging, walking dogs, walking with small children... it looked like it was a holiday or something. I think too because we've had a rainy week (with more rain on the way after this weekend), it cleared up somewhat today, so people were out enjoying the non-rainy weather.

Then I got home, and my partner was still busy at work (his first day working from home was today). But now he's logged off, and we're debating about making dinner at home, or just buying takeout. Shit, es viernes, I'm thinking of ordering takeout. :D

JManc Mar 21, 2020 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8868859)
Grab "Contagion" from Netflicks. Very realistic and it has a happy ending.

Or 28 Days Later. It doesn't.

Obadno Mar 21, 2020 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8868791)
but with everything other than grocery stores and pharmacies closed, where exactly are you gonna go?

if you just wanna aimlessly walk around the deserted city, that's still allowed under a "stay at home" order anyway, no rule-breaking required.

To other peoples homes that I know

hauntedheadnc Mar 21, 2020 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8868815)
the Chicago song "only the beginning" just came on the radio.

it's never sounded so ominous. :(

i thought it was a love song, but now i'm spooked.

EDIT:

followed up with donald fagen's "snowbound (let's sleep in today)".

it's like pandora is intentionally fucking with my mind.

This bad boy popped up on YouTube today while I was catching up on my dictation:

Video Link

It's from Final Fantasy 6 and plays in the second half of the game, after the world as you knew it has been destroyed. If I feel brave I might go get some photos of ghost town downtown Asheville, do a photo thread and use this as the background music. But this morning when it came on I paused, thought about downtown, and just cried for a while.

bnk Mar 21, 2020 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 (Post 8868819)
I had Vera Lang's "We'll Meet Again" stuck in my head as I was making the rounds in the office yesterday saying goodbye to coworkers

And believe it or not she is still alive after all of these years.

And it is Vera Lynn not Lang BTW.

Video Link

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-51981339

Coronavirus: Dame Vera Lynn uses 103rd birthday to buoy Britain

6 hours ago

Dame Vera Lynn was known as the Forces' Sweetheart during her World War Two heyday

Dame Vera Lynn has used her 103rd birthday to call on the British public to find "moments of joy" during these "hard times".

The London-born singer marked the special occasion with a new video for her wartime classic We'll Meet Again.

It features archive footage of her performing the anthem alongside new visuals, and words tackling current themes such as the Covid-19 outbreak.

In the video, she urges the nation to "keep smiling and keep singing”.

Dame Vera says in a voiceover: “We are facing a very challenging time at the moment, and I know many people are worried about the future.

“I’m greatly encouraged that despite these struggles, we have seen people joining together.

“Music is so good for the soul, and during these hard times we must all help each other to find moments of joy."

One of Vera Lynn's most famous songs, We'll Meet Again, was released in 1939

Dame Vera, who lives in Ditchling, East Sussex, is best known for performing for the troops during World War Two in countries including Egypt, India and Burma.

In another video message on Wednesday, Dame Vera called for people to pull together during a trying period.

“All around the world, people are facing extremely difficult times. It is likely that we will all have to make hard decisions in the coming months," she said.

“I am reminded of World War Two, when our country faced the darkest of times and yet, despite our struggles, pulled together for the common good and we faced the common threat together as a country, and as a community of countries that joined as one right across the world.”

Video Link

Buckeye Native 001 Mar 21, 2020 12:54 AM

My bad. Had no idea she was still alive. Always associated that song with Dr. Strangelove.

jtown,man Mar 21, 2020 1:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8868802)
and under the "stay at home" edict that illinois' governor just ordered, that will still be allowed, provided that you don't get too close to others.

i myself am planning to take a long bike ride up the north shore channel trail tomorrow morning.

Bike riding is allowed? I mean I am sure it is but...

I saw his comments today and didn't notice him mentioning it...and I haven't read anything about it to be honest.

Went for a ride today, it was amazing. So little traffic!

subterranean Mar 21, 2020 1:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 8868875)
Just got home from buying the 2 bottles of mead from Total Wine & Spirits. On my drive home from there, people in Pasadena were out walking about, jogging, walking dogs, walking with small children... it looked like it was a holiday or something. I think too because we've had a rainy week (with more rain on the way after this weekend), it cleared up somewhat today, so people were out enjoying the non-rainy weather.

Then I got home, and my partner was still busy at work (his first day working from home was today). But now he's logged off, and we're debating about making dinner at home, or just buying takeout. Shit, es viernes, I'm thinking of ordering takeout. :D

I've been thinking this plague has been the best thing that's happened to humanity in ages. We needed this. All of us except, you know, the people who actually die.

SIGSEGV Mar 21, 2020 1:33 AM

Quote:

To: Members of the University Community
From: Ivan Samstein, Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
Subject: Continued Pay for Food Service Workers
Date: March 20, 2020

The University is keenly aware of COVID-19’s disruptive impact on the lives of the campus community, including contracted food service employees, many of whom are residents of the South Side.

These individuals, while not employed by the University, are critical to its success. During this challenging time, we are making a commitment that through our contracts with the relevant vendors, the food service workers at the University, both full- and part-time, will continue to receive their regular pay for the duration of Spring Quarter.

We are working with our food service contactors to establish new roles and responsibilities for their employees to meet pressing needs in our community. We will share details on these efforts in the coming days.

Many of our other contractors’ employees, such as security and janitorial, are essential to our continuing operations and will continue to perform their job duties and receive their regular pay through their direct employers throughout the Spring Quarter.

We truly appreciate the hard work and dedication of all our employees and vendors during this challenging time, and we make this commitment today to recognize the efforts of the hardworking food service staff.
Somehow I'm extremely surprised the University is doing this (UChicago is not known for being good to its community...).

destroycreate Mar 21, 2020 1:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8868775)
I will break the lock-down and I will lie to police if they ask me where I am going and I dont care what anyone has to think about that.

Cause it's 'MURICA right? And it's all about your FREE-DUHM. You're a POS, man.

SIGSEGV Mar 21, 2020 1:39 AM

Time to fix up my bikes I guess! I normally am too lazy to maintain my bikes and use Divvy's, but that's probably not a good idea right now.

chris08876 Mar 21, 2020 2:16 AM

Businesses banning banknotes, asking customers to use credit, debit cards

Quote:

Show us the money -- unless its cash!

That's the sentiment a growing number of businesses around the world have adopted as fear grows over the spread of COVID-19.

Despite assurances from public health officials, some retailers are banning banknotes.

In Chicago, Open Books, a non-profit bookstore, sent an email to customers asking they not use cash. A chain of diners in Washington state has stopped accepting cash and door-to-door delivery services like Grubhub and Door Dash have put "no contact" policies in place and have either removed cash payment options or are actively discouraging them.

Julie Fischer, a professor at the Center for Global Health Science and Society at Georgetown University, says while there may be traces of the virus lingering on paper bills, it is unlikely virus particles will return to the air, or aerosolize, once on a surface.

Despite the reassurance, some people just aren't ready to risk it.

In South Korea, which has been more successful in stemming the outbreak, the country's central bank took all banknotes out of circulation for two weeks or, in some cases, burned paper money.

The National Bank of Poland said Thursday that “Polish banknotes are subjected to a quarantine” and are therefore safe to use in cash transactions.
====================
FOX

chris08876 Mar 21, 2020 2:23 AM

Pic by me.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...f7590af4_o.jpg
White Oak Park (NJ) - 03-20-2020 by Christopher Estevez, on Flickr

Another gloomy, empty day at a park that is normally filled with folks. Have to get out of the house for exercise at least.

Biking is a good way. Keeps that social distancing. That's a collectors bike btw. Got it at a garage sale a few years back, paid $400 for restoration, and brand new. Schwinn Breeze.

So one could jog, but biking is better IMO.