SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

CrestedSaguaro Sep 18, 2018 4:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muertecaza (Post 8318446)

I can live with this. Good development for the revitalized Park Central Mall. Looking forward to seeing this built. :cheers:

biggus diggus Sep 18, 2018 4:48 PM

re the closure: In other news, water is wet.

re eastlake park being left out of the boom: it's not the trendy neighborhood. Just wait. One person owns most of the buildings/land between Jefferson and the tracks. He's very smart and has done some pretty high profile developments in the warehouse district. Once he lights the match near 12th and Jefferson you can hold on to your hats. This is part of why Van Buren in that area is going to change drastically. It's not soon, but it's coming.

Obadno Sep 18, 2018 5:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muertecaza (Post 8318446)

Nice! I just bought a condo nearby and I’m banking on this area improving

Obadno Sep 18, 2018 5:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8318462)
re the closure: In other news, water is wet.

re eastlake park being left out of the boom: it's not the trendy neighborhood. Just wait. One person owns most of the buildings/land between Jefferson and the tracks. He's very smart and has done some pretty high profile developments in the warehouse district. Once he lights the match near 12th and Jefferson you can hold on to your hats. This is part of why Van Buren in that area is going to change drastically. It's not soon, but it's coming.

Agree, I also think Garfield and grand ave are poised to pop too.

ASU Diablo Sep 18, 2018 5:16 PM

nvm

biggus diggus Sep 18, 2018 5:17 PM

I noticed the Creighton coming soon sign at Park Central this morning on the way in, thought I'd google around for information but you guys already were on it.

gymratmanaz Sep 18, 2018 5:21 PM

More medical in AZ is so needed and will be a huge asset for all!!!!

Obadno Sep 18, 2018 5:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymratmanaz (Post 8318516)
More medical in AZ is so needed and will be a huge asset for all!!!!

Wats the frim that is doing this and skysong? they are miracle workers.

Aslo some Info on the Country Club Condo porject

http://azbex.com/stipulations-for-phx-country-club/

http://azbex.com/wp-content/uploads/...22-620x264.png

Quote:

Phoenix Country Club and Sunbelt Holdings have submitted a rezoning request to the City of Phoenix to build luxury residential condominiums on the NEC of 7th Street and Thomas Road.

The new development will have approximately 125 units at about 42 du/ac. There will be 234 unreserved parking spaces for residents.

The 2.94-acre site is currently zoned for and being used as a parking lot for the Phoenix Country Club. The developer requests the site be rezoned as Multifamily Residence District, High Rise and High-Density District in order to allow for multifamily high-rise condos reaching 164 feet and 15 stories. Phoenix Country Club made the request for the parking lot designation back in the ‘60s. They are now requesting to use the land differently.

The property is bordered on the north by a surface parking lot and single-family residential space. To the south of the property is office space and a former gas station. To the east is another surface parking lot, the Phoenix Country Club itself and more single-family residential living, and to the west is more office and commercial space.

A city staff report issued on September 4 states that a high-rise at the proposed location doesn’t comply with several principles of the General Plan Land Use Map. Some of the staff concerns include the fact that the site is not in a village core, a village center or in a corridor — like the Central Avenue Corridor — designated for greater height and intensity. The site doesn’t increase potential transit ridership. The report also maintains that the proposed density is incompatible with surrounding land uses.

The staff report includes a list of 18 stipulations that should be followed if the rezoning request is approved. One of the main stipulations is that the maximum building height should be adjusted downward to 60 feet.

The report also noted that the city received at least 20 letters of opposition from members of the community. The community concerns included many of the same items noted in the staff report.

The rezoning request was heard this month and is expected to be up for approval in October at the Phoenix Planning Commission meeting.
I dont think anyone could complain about a 6 story condo building. Still i see no reason why this shouldnt be built iits literally less than a Mile from the new medschool above

CrestedSaguaro Sep 18, 2018 5:46 PM

^^^They may as well put a fork in it. It's not going to happen. Especially with the current state of the city council. No way they are going to approve this at 164'.

Edit: The problem with bringing it down to 60' is they would then need to develop nearly the entire lot to equal the same amount of units. I think they want to use the remaining space for future developments.

muertecaza Sep 18, 2018 6:03 PM

Re: Creighton, the BizJournal article draws some attention to the fact that there's a budding healthcare hub at Thomas/Central, which to my mind can only be a good thing. I'm thinking Texas Medical Center-lite.

Also happy that there will in fact be some new development at Park Central--I believe the owner had been saying to this point that they had no plans for new development.

Obadno Sep 18, 2018 6:09 PM

More reporting on Creighton:

https://azbigmedia.com/creighton-med...-park-central/

Quote:

Phoenix’s healthcare landscape is about to change dramatically — as is one of Phoenix’s most iconic properties, Park Central — as Creighton University dramatically expands programs in the state to meet the growing demand for doctors and other healthcare professionals in Arizona.

Creighton University – a Jesuit, Catholic University located in Omaha, Nebraska – has reached an agreement on the construction of a new, nearly $100 million health sciences campus at Park Central in midtown Phoenix, a significant expansion of the University’s current presence in the state.

Phase one of the project includes a new building totaling 200,000 square feet and eventually will house nearly 800 Creighton health sciences students in Arizona. The expansion will include a four-year medical school, nursing school, occupational and physical therapy schools, pharmacy school, physician assistant school, and an emergency medical services program. A second building adjacent to the first may be added in the future.

The new building will be located along Central Avenue on the Park Central property, on land that is currently a parking lot. Construction on the new building will begin in spring 2019, the first on the Park Central site in decades, and is expected to be completed in spring 2021.

In the interim, Creighton University’s College of Nursing, which launched its first Phoenix-based Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing program in January, will move into a temporary home at Park Central effective January 2019. The School of Medicine, which first came to Phoenix in 2009, will continue operating its third- and fourth-year programs out of space adjacent to Dignity Health St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center until construction is completed in Spring 2021.

The new Phoenix campus for Creighton will meet the University’s current needs while providing ample room for expansion in the future, and the central Phoenix location makes it convenient for students doing their residencies and other studies at nearby hospitals.

“Creighton University is preparing for an exciting new era in Phoenix, one that combines our tradition for educational excellence in the health sciences with our distinctive Jesuit, Catholic mission,” said the Rev. Daniel S. Hendrickson, SJ, PhD, president of Creighton University. “Creighton University has strong connections to the Arizona medical community, and we look forward to expanding our impact by educating many more exceptionally qualified health care professionals to serve the community moving forward.”

Creighton University’s presence in Phoenix is expanding to help meet the growing demand for healthcare professionals in the coming years. In June 2018, the Creighton University School of Medicine assumed sponsorship of physician graduate medical education training programs at Dignity Health St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center and Maricopa Integrated Health System (MIHS), in conjunction with District Medical Group (DMG), encompassing 11 programs with 325 residents and fellows.

Additionally, the four partners have formed the Creighton University-Arizona Health Education Alliance, which was officially launched on Sept. 1, 2017. It is designed to improve and expand current health education programs offered by each of the entities. The Alliance will also develop new academic and clinical education programs in medicine, nursing, pharmacy and allied health. The Alliance’s activities will also be based out of the new Park Central facility.

Governor Doug Ducey, who officially recognized Creighton University’s contributions to the State of Arizona with a proclamation, hailed the Creighton expansion as a significant addition to the state’s health care infrastructure.

“For more than a decade, Creighton University has been a key partner in helping Arizona train highly skilled health care professionals,” said Gov. Ducey.“Their significant new expansion and investment will help to meet our state’s growing need for healthcare professionals in the coming years, and it’s yet one more way that Arizona is solidifying its reputation as a premier destination for excellence in health care.”

The new Creighton University facility is also a significant boost for the revitalization of Park Central. Sharon Harper, president & CEO of Plaza Companies — which is redeveloping Park Central in partnership with Holualoa Companies — said Creighton is an ideal fit for the project.

“The new Park Central will have a focus not only on the creation of world-class office, retail and public spaces, but also on a commitment to health and innovation,” Harper said. “Creighton University’s commitment to innovating in healthcare education makes it a great partner, and we couldn’t be more pleased to have them join the Park Central family.”

Phoenix Mayor Thelda Williams welcomed Creighton’s expansion in Phoenix as a dramatic step to strengthen the region’s growing bioscience industry.

“Creighton’s investment in our community will create new jobs and bring new life to a critical property in the heart of midtown Phoenix—but what’s more, it moves us closer to transforming our economy into one rooted in competitive, forward-thinking industries,” said Williams. “I want Phoenix to be a destination for world-class medical education, research, healthcare and solutions, and our growing partnership with Creighton University is going to help us get there.”

“Creighton University has long had a presence in Greater Phoenix, but their decision to continue expanding here is an indication of the growth and demand we’re seeing in the industry regionally,” said Chris Camacho, president & CEO of Greater Phoenix Economic Council. “As one of the most innovative medical schools, graduates of their health sciences programs will continue to feed the rapidly growing healthcare sector.”

For more than a decade, Creighton University has been an academic mainstay in Phoenix, sending medical students to St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center for rotations. That relationship expanded significantly in 2009 when the University and St. Joseph’s established a Creighton campus for third- and fourth-year medical students at the Phoenix hospital. The St. Joseph’s campus is home to approximately 100 Creighton medical students.

ASU Diablo Sep 18, 2018 6:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8317579)
From my understanding, Creative House and RO2 are two different proposals.

The Creative House proposed location would be at the NW corner of Roosevelt and 2nd. RO2 would be at the SW corner of 2nd and Portland. Creative House would be around 300' as shown on the Davis Experience website. RO2 will be at a similar height to the Stewart (around 240'-245'ish) with 19 floors.

Creative House did actually start off as RO2 a couple years ago, but it morphed into it's current rendering on the Davis Experience website. Not sure why they changed up the names, locations, etc. I'm also not sure how real Creative House's proposal is. I do think the RAA and locals would have a conniption fit with a 300' tower directly on Roosevelt IMO. But Creative House is a good looking design. I hope RO2 is similar.

Ah thanks for clearing that up!

I wonder if this new Creighton University announcement across the street will lead to some confidence to continue and move forward w/ the 2nd phase of Edison Midtown

CrestedSaguaro Sep 18, 2018 6:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 8318603)
Ah thanks for clearing that up!

I wonder if this new Creighton University announcement across the street will lead to some confidence to continue and move forward w/ the 2nd phase of Edison Midtown

I sure hope so. Right now, the 2nd half is a white elephant for the block. Way too much garage space for not even half of the proposed units.

CrestedSaguaro Sep 18, 2018 8:36 PM

A little good news for you pizza buffs. ZPizza off Thomas/Central is back open for business! Apparently, the closure was due to new ownership. Went there for lunch today and pizza is as good as ever. :yes:

pbenjamin Sep 18, 2018 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8318775)
A little good news for you pizza buffs. ZPizza off Thomas/Central is back open for business! Apparently, the closure was due to new ownership. Went there for lunch today and pizza is as good as ever. :yes:

That's been in the works for some time. I've been getting updates from the people in Poke Catcher next door. I think the closure was more about the previous owner getting out of the business than any sort of problems with the place. They had owned the zpizza that was in the Orpheum Lofts building as well as The Pink Spot but shut each of them down over the last few years.

Glad to see them back in business.

TJPHXskyscraperfan Sep 19, 2018 4:05 AM

Yeah, about Capital Market, I live in Capital Place and it's sad to see the market go so quick. He said only about 10 residents went there on a regular basis and I was one of them. The owner was a little negative and almost tried to make u feel sorry for him for not shopping there. If the other Capital building was right across the street I think he may of done better. Also opening in April in time for the summer was bad timing and he had delays opening as well. I think the original concept was better for that spot, a coffee shop and a few on and ends for when u run out of ketchup and stuff. He had a lot of stuff there but at the end of the day you couldn't do all ur shopping there so residents wouldn't go there like they should have. You don't know what u got til it's gone. Anyway, that is one of my deciding factors to move out of here when my lease ends soon and I'm going to be one of the first residents in Alta Central! Will have a good view and hearing about the Medical school should only spur even more develope! On the other topic, I don't get the whole Country Club height issue when Crystal Point is even further away from Central.....

Spitfiredude Sep 19, 2018 4:28 AM

There was talk about widening the 10 east of downtown a couple years back. Apparently it is starting in 2021. Which is coinciding with the I17 Anthem-Sunset Pt widening.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ng/1351184002/

poconoboy61 Sep 19, 2018 4:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitfiredude (Post 8319305)
There was talk about widening the 10 east of downtown a couple years back. Apparently it is starting in 2021. Which is coinciding with the I17 Anthem-Sunset Pt widening.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ng/1351184002/

The westbound 10 stretch from 32nd St. to the 17 Split is already 7 lanes wide. I wonder how many lanes they are trying to add. At some point, you have to realize that enough is enough and accept the congestion as is.

Spitfiredude Sep 19, 2018 5:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poconoboy61 (Post 8319308)
The westbound 10 stretch from 32nd St. to the 17 Split is already 7 lanes wide. I wonder how many lanes they are trying to add. At some point, you have to realize that enough is enough and accept the congestion as is.

Yeah I don’t get it either. the 202 South Mtn is probably going to knock out 1/4 of that congedtion. Seems like the only thing that would be beneficial is maybe express lanes that connect the 60 to downtown.

Jjs5056 Sep 19, 2018 9:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muertecaza (Post 8318587)
Re: Creighton, the BizJournal article draws some attention to the fact that there's a budding healthcare hub at Thomas/Central, which to my mind can only be a good thing. I'm thinking Texas Medical Center-lite.

Also happy that there will in fact be some new development at Park Central--I believe the owner had been saying to this point that they had no plans for new development.

Concentrating uses results in a denser, but still suburban design. It's great when synergies exist that attract other businesses, but it needs to be organic and evolve with the city. Any 'campus' means 99% of residents will never step foot inside. Hopefully, this includes retail on Central into the mall, and attracts office/hotel for other sites.

Higher education expansion is a great thing for Phoenix. I wish this were being built a little closer to the core, but between this news and Banner, I wish the city would admit the PBC is dead and RFP the land. Bulldozing 1/8 of downtown and never committing to bringing schools, businesses, etc. was a stupid idea. It's essentially a satellite campus for the state schools- leave it at that and let the booming market nearby build.