SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: Transit Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101657)

ardecila Apr 24, 2023 4:52 AM

It’s a bigger project than you think, they are digging up everything in the park between Michigan and the rail trench, going two levels down, and rebuilding from scratch. The existing ramped tunnels don’t meet ADA slope requirements and they leak like a sieve, so hopefully the total rebuild will solve both problems.

They are also building a 4th mainline track and a 3rd platform east of the existing two, which should provide more capacity into Millennium Station for South Shore’s new line to Dyer.

glowrock Apr 24, 2023 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 9926592)
It’s a bigger project than you think, they are digging up everything in the park between Michigan and the rail trench, going two levels down, and rebuilding from scratch. The existing ramped tunnels don’t meet ADA slope requirements and they leak like a sieve, so hopefully the total rebuild will solve both problems.

They are also building a 4th mainline track and a 3rd platform east of the existing two, which should provide more capacity into Millennium Station for South Shore’s new line to Dyer.

Exactly. So much of this revamp won't really be noticed by most people using the station, yet everything listed is of the utmost importance to address. I'm glad Metra is doing what really needs to be done instead of some haphazard patchwork that only address a few critical issues but leaves everything else neglected.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Randomguy34 Apr 25, 2023 10:47 PM

43rd St station renovation

https://files.constantcontact.com/55...d033b1a7da.png

Quote:

The Chicago Transit Authority is proposing upgrades to the existing 43rd St. Green Line station. Improvements include: A new entryway into station house with a full glass entry for better light and security, new smaller footprint exit stair on southwest corner, improved cover and handrails on southeast stair, improved platform guard rails and barriers to prevent unwanted entry to adjacent properties, upgraded platform canopy and fascia, new interior stairs, ceilings, and other finishes, upgraded security cameras and systems, modernized elevators with new floors and other finishes, and installation of new artwork.

Currently, the renovations are in the design procurement and environmental coordination stages. Design development will continue through Q2 2024, with construction beginning in Q4 2024. According to the preliminary schedule, CTA estimates substantial project completion by Q2 2025.
https://myemail.constantcontact.com/...id=OI_Byg58CO0

sentinel Apr 26, 2023 9:36 PM

Does anyone know what the status of the State & Lake superstation currently is?

lakeshoredrive Apr 27, 2023 6:21 PM

I just saw that Johnson appointed Buckner to the sub-committee for public transit. That is really good news in my opinion. Hopefully this will help with CTA becoming reliable again.

chicagoguy1 Apr 27, 2023 9:30 PM

Not only reliable, but more importantly safe. riding the redline in this city is like the wild wild west, I think riding a train in Afghanistan would be safer and cleaner

Chicago Shawn Apr 27, 2023 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sentinel (Post 9929316)
Does anyone know what the status of the State & Lake superstation currently is?

Utility relocations are ongoing, quite a bit of that work has since been completed.

Chicago Shawn Apr 27, 2023 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive (Post 9930086)
I just saw that Johnson appointed Buckner to the sub-committee for public transit. That is really good news in my opinion. Hopefully this will help with CTA becoming reliable again.

Great move, also helps that Buckner can introduce legislation in the state house to help with the inevitable fiscal crises CTA will be facing in the near future. If he is directly engaged with CTA, that will hopefully make this process proactive rather than a 11th hour solution to head off a doomsday scenario of service cuts.

SIGSEGV Apr 28, 2023 4:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn (Post 9930459)
Utility relocations are ongoing, quite a bit of that work has since been completed.

My condo association sent this update about it:

Quote:

State/Lake Station Project Utility Work Update – 4/26/23

CDOT, the Alderman’s office, and the Chicago Loop Alliance are committed to keeping stakeholders as informed as possible as advance relocations by utility companies continues. Work status updates are below. If your business or building’s utility service(s) are affected by the ongoing work, the utility company will contact you directly. All dates and durations listed below are weather dependent.

CenTrio (chilled water) construction work at street/sidewalk level is complete. Some final insulation installation and cabling may be finishing up in the next few days.

ComEd (electricity) completed construction work at street/sidewalk level on Wabash Ave north of Lake St and will start installing cables next week. Work on Wabash Ave south of Lake St is still underway. Work on the southeast corner of Lake St and State St will occur the next two weekends, April 28-30 and May 5-7. Additional work on Lake St will start in the next few weeks. ComEd work will last through August.

Western Utility (telecoms) is actively working on State St. Work between Randolph and Benton Pl/Couch Pl is expected to finish 5-19-23 and work between Benton Pl/Couch Pl is expected to finish 6-9-23. Work on Lake St will start immediately following.

Lane Closure Impacts

During construction of utility relocates, at least 1 lane will remain open on Lake St and Wabash Ave and 1 lane each direction on State St.

Work Hours

ComEd and Western Utility will generally be working daytime hours. Daytime hours are 9-4 M-F and 8-8 Sat. Some ComEd work may occur between 6:00-10:00 PM, to better accommodate CTA’s daytime bus service. Utility companies are aware of and required to abide by the Chicago noise ordinance, which limits noisy work in overnight hours.

The utility work has somehow resulted in power outages to our elevators :shrug:

Randomguy34 Apr 28, 2023 5:25 AM

Surprised Janesville, WI is even considering a Metra stop as an option. The only way that would work is if Metra is chosen to operate the Rockford-Chicago route.

Rock County will form ad hoc committee to examine rail service expansion
Quote:

Rock County will form an ad hoc committee to explore passenger rail development in the county.

County Supervisor Jim Farrell of Janesville, who drafted a resolution that was approved by the county board two weeks ago, said the ad hoc committee will work with the cities of Janesville and Beloit to examine the potential of rail expansion.

The county sent a letter to the Federal Railroad Administration in September with hopes of securing a rail stop in the county either in Janesville or Beloit to connect to Madison and Milwaukee via Amtrak.

Farrell and County Administrator Josh Smith have met with representatives from the High Speed Rail Alliance, a group lobbying for passenger rail expansion. The resolution said passenger rail expansion through Rock County is “more likely” to be through Metra routes from Chicago and its northwest suburbs.

SIGSEGV Apr 28, 2023 7:27 AM

^ I woulda thought this would be a continuation of the up-nw past Harvard?

ardecila Apr 28, 2023 4:24 PM

I don't think anybody has a firm plan for this, they're just looking at a map and drawing lines. Metra doesn't have the budget to run service into Kendall County, let alone other counties or states that are outside the Chicago MSA.

So far nobody has figured out politically how to do this. Kendall County and Boone/Winnebago don't want to pay the sales tax required to join RTA, but it's not fair to the existing RTA counties if those other areas get train service free of charge.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randomguy34 (Post 9928297)
43rd St station renovation

This is nice to complement the big TOD buildings going up, but... that tribal pattern is not great. I appreciate the desire to have some African heritage, but there are so many better ways to do it! Even within the station, it would look better on the elevator towers.

Chicago Shawn Apr 28, 2023 6:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 9930993)
I don't think anybody has a firm plan for this, they're just looking at a map and drawing lines. Metra doesn't have the budget to run service into Kendall County, let alone other counties or states that are outside the Chicago MSA.

So far nobody has figured out politically how to do this. Kendall County and Boone/Winnebago don't want to pay the sales tax required to join RTA, but it's not fair to the existing RTA counties if those other areas get train service free of charge.

That’s the beauty of Rock County though, if they want in and pay for it, there is hardly any running through the free rider territory. With hybrid work in some form here to stay, this is a really unique opportunity to reimagine what service Metra actually provides. If not so crush loaded at peak times, this service can spread out through the day and longer runs can be implemented. Commuters will always be the backbone, but I’m really glad to see Metra being discussed as a true regional railroad system. It would also be good to not have to rely on Amtrak’s procurement of equipment which can be held up in budget disputes in Washington. If there is an appetite to grow, manage and fund a regional passenger rail network locally, then we should capitalize on it as much as possible.

ardecila Apr 29, 2023 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn (Post 9931114)
That’s the beauty of Rock County though, if they want in and pay for it, there is hardly any running through the free rider territory. With hybrid work in some form here to stay, this is a really unique opportunity to reimagine what service Metra actually provides. If not so crush loaded at peak times, this service can spread out through the day and longer runs can be implemented. Commuters will always be the backbone, but I’m really glad to see Metra being discussed as a true regional railroad system. It would also be good to not have to rely on Amtrak’s procurement of equipment which can be held up in budget disputes in Washington. If there is an appetite to grow, manage and fund a regional passenger rail network locally, then we should capitalize on it as much as possible.

The RTA Act is a creation of Illinois, Rock County can't join. Ideally they could set up a countywide taxing district to raise funds and do purchase-of-service with Metra (like the City of Kenosha does), but the Wisconsin legislature has put up various legal roadblocks to prevent rail expansion.

Even if they could somehow come up with the funds to operate service, the capital costs would kill them - the cost of upgrading tracks, building stations and storage yards, and buying extra trains to support the new service. Not to mention any upgrades that might be required in the Chicago area to deal with the increased rail congestion.

sentinel Apr 29, 2023 2:26 PM

This seems like pretty massive news:

New Transcontinental Rail Route Announced Through Chicago

https://chicagoyimby.com/2023/04/new...h-chicago.html

twister244 Apr 29, 2023 2:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sentinel (Post 9931707)
This seems like pretty massive news:

New Transcontinental Rail Route Announced Through Chicago

https://chicagoyimby.com/2023/04/new...h-chicago.html

Beat me to it.

Although I was going to put this in the economic thread as it really doesn't have direct implications for city/metro transit, no?

sentinel Apr 29, 2023 4:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twister244 (Post 9931718)
Beat me to it.

Although I was going to put this in the economic thread as it really doesn't have direct implications for city/metro transit, no?

Yeah that makes sense, post it there too, spread the word! :)

ardecila Apr 29, 2023 4:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twister244 (Post 9931718)
Beat me to it.

It does potentially, since the "Falcon Premium" trains will be traveling on the NCS and Heritage Corridor lines. Those have poor service to begin with, possibly even worse after this.

The trains would likely use the EJ&E to avoid congestion in the Chicago terminal, so that could mean a lot more freight trains through certain suburbs and a lot more idling of freight trains in forest preserves or residential areas.

That said, I'm not sure this is "big news" the way it's made out to be. This is likely just something to keep the shareholders from panicking about CPKC, I'm not sure it will have a huge impact on ops.

Randomguy34 May 4, 2023 5:20 PM

Crain's is reporting that the Kennedy construction and increased train frequencies has resulted in ridership increase for many Metra lines. For weekday numbers, UP-N is now 71% of pre-pandemic, UP-NW is 65%, MD-N is 60%, and NCS is 53%. Amazing what happens when car use is discouraged and rail frequency is increased

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/tran...y-construction

IrishIllini May 5, 2023 4:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randomguy34 (Post 9936096)
Crain's is reporting that the Kennedy construction and increased train frequencies has resulted in ridership increase for many Metra lines. For weekday numbers, UP-N is now 71% of pre-pandemic, UP-NW is 65%, MD-N is 60%, and NCS is 53%. Amazing what happens when car use is discouraged and rail frequency is increased

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/tran...y-construction

Great news, lets just take the whole thing down instead :D...or at least take out a lane each way.