SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170279)

odinthor Feb 2, 2022 4:10 PM

:previous:

https://i.postimg.cc/QtX2JJ1X/Smiths...-1965-2-17.jpg
LA Times, 2/17/1965.

___

PS: If I may, I'd also like to bring to the attention of the thread's Los Angeles history buffs the very recent appearance of a new book, which happens to be by [squints at byline] one Brent C. Dickerson, the title of which book is The Bandini Papers, and it provides some documents from the 1820s to the early 1850s which were preserved by Juan Bandini. One paragraph describes the L.A. of the time, another gives a description of the Plaza church and its interior.

https://i.postimg.cc/50hnV59L/Bandini-Cov-Lo-Small.jpg

HossC Feb 2, 2022 7:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliNative (Post 9522027)

For the night Decker ran (and tripped) I bought my ticket from a scalper for about $40. They were on the north side also, but halfway down.

When Zola Budd tripped up Decker, I felt bad when Budd was booed. I think Decker was a bad sport about it. I don't think Budd, who ran barefoot, meant to do that. A Romanian runner with long blonde hair won the 3000 meters. Can't remember her name, but I remember her long blonde mane.

I remember watching that race on TV, and clearly recall the Decker/Budd incident, but had no recollection of who won the medals. The blonde Romanian winner was Maricica Puică, with silver going to Wendy Sly of Great Britain and bronze to Lynn Williams of Canada. Here's a video about Maricica and the race that also shows a little of the opening ceremony.

Video Link

Martin Pal Feb 2, 2022 10:09 PM

CaliNative and Godzilla, can you imagine what price those $50 Olympics Opening Ceremony tickets will be for the next go around? I mean, some good seats for Broadway show tickets for musicals can run $200-$300!

I don't have a great many 1984 Olympic souvenirs, but I have the flashlight (and the bag it came in) for the Closing Ceremonies. I used buses a lot in 1984 and all the bus tokens that year were Olympic Event themed and I have a collection of those. I have a few pins, I even have an Opening Ceremonies pin, but I never saw a closing ceremonies pin!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godzilla (Post 9521861)
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/xb...e7m_fRC3I=s113

Since I attended those I looked on eBay and found one like this for what I think is the reasonable price of $9.99, and so I just bought it!

The way one had to buy tickets back then in 1983-84, for the Olympic Events, seems so ancient now. There was a booklet of sorts with all the events and ticket prices etc. and you had to list all the things you wanted tickets for on the order form. You were NOT guaranteed anything you ordered. You also had to pay for everything you ordered, including a per ticket handling fee. When your order was received, they sent you a small decorated box with a souvenir pin in it. Sometime later, I think it was months, you received the tickets you ordered.

Here's a NYT article from 6/14/83 about the rollout of ticket sales:
https://www.nytimes.com/1983/06/14/s...-olympics.html

I ordered 2 tickets each for 12 different events. I only received tickets for ONE of those 12 events. Not only that, they refunded your ticket prices you paid for in advance, but the per ticket fee was NOT refundable.

There obviously was no online ticket brokers back then. There were some official Olympic Ticket venues where you could go to see what might be available. (I recall that one of them was in the Beverly Center.) There was also some ballrooms in various hotels that sponsored ticket buying and swapping events. When I was trying to find tickets for the Closing Ceremonies I went to one of those. I don't recall if there were any of those tickets or they were just way more than I could attempt to pay.

I actually found an ad in the L.A. Times for some. Somebody in Venice had two closing ceremony tickets and they wanted $400 for them. (His name is on the ticket I still have. That was one of the "security" measures at the time. Your name was printed on all the tickets you ordered.) For several days I had tried to find someone else who would go with me and I could not find anyone who would. (!) When the above mentioned tickets were in grasp, I decided to buy the two and hope I could sell the other one.

I took a couple buses to Venice and met this guy in his small apartment with $400 cash in tow. :uhh: It did not turn noirish :cheers:, so that was good. The guy had quite a lot of pairs of tickets he was selling for many events. I asked him how he got them all as I'd only gotten one out of twelve events I tried ordering. He replied that he just had ordered them the same way I did. :???: He purposely ordered them with the idea of making money off them. He even had tickets and sold them for the Opening Ceremonies. (!) Anyway, I put the tickets in my wallet and left to catch the first bus on Venice Blvd. back home.

I had to make a transfer at Fairfax Ave. Before I had gotten on the Venice bus, and why I don't know :shrug:, but I decided to put my wallet in my front pants pocket for some reason, as I always put it in my back pocket. A fortuitous decision as it turned out. At Fairfax, when I was about to go out the rear exit, as the door opened someone sitting in the seat opposite the exit, reached into my back pocket (to find nothing) and then put their foot on my behind and shoved me out the back door. :irked: As I was stumbling back upright and turned around realizing what was happening the doors had shut and the bus was on its way eastward. So...my tickets/wallet were not stolen and I was alright. :tup: So...I was content with the knowledge I was on my way to the Closing Ceremonies.

As for the other ticket, I asked my boss at the Video West store I worked at as the buyer, if I could put a sign on the counter that I had a Closing Ceremony ticket available for sale for $200. A day or so later I sold it. The person asked if I could lower the price, but I said it's what I paid for it and wasn't asking any more than that, so they agreed. (The face value of it was $100.) And that person was also very good company that evening.

ethereal_reality Feb 2, 2022 11:01 PM

I watched the closing night fireworks from my bathroom window in West Hollywood.

That's all I got.

Godzilla Feb 3, 2022 2:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 9523067)
As for the other ticket, I asked my boss at the Video West store I worked at as the buyer, if I could put a sign on the counter that I had a Closing Ceremony ticket available for sale for $200. A day or so later I sold it. The person asked if I could lower the price, but I said it's what I paid for it and wasn't asking any more than that, so they agreed. (The face value of it was $100.) And that person was also very good company that evening.

FWIW, there is an ebay closing ceremonies ticket auction where the ticket bears a $200 face value. (Section 7, Row 34, Set 15 https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Los-An...s/233639672648 ) I have a vague recollection of visiting the Beverly Center and possibly a Mid Wilshire Hotel for some ticket acquisitions. Note that the ticket bears language that it is not transferable. Obviously this is wishful thinking. Given the current climate of ever heightening security, attending future sporting events will likely be far more regimented and stress prone - than 1984.

We also rode the bus to some venues. Since traffic was light (by design), bus travel with friends turned out to be a relatively pleasant experience.

https://secure-images.rarenewspapers...6/image009.jpghttps://secure-images.rarenewspapers...6/image009.jpg

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/znpT...81caf6f6_o.jpg

https://imgv2-2-f.scribdassets.com/i...1589045469?v=1https://imgv2-2-f.scribdassets.com/i...1589045469?v=1
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chor...45255378_o.jpg

Quote:

The Olympics fixed LA’s traffic problem—can the 2028 games do it permanently?

“Everyone recalls how marvelous it was when for two weeks the freeways and streets worked, and they want to go back to lessons learned then to solve our increasingly serious congestion,” Los Angeles County Transportation Commission manager Ginger Gherardi told the Los Angeles Times.

The plan to permanently alter the way the region transports goods was blocked by trucking associations, which argued that forcing deliveries to off-peak hours permanently would eat into their profits.
But the Port of LA—which moved more cargo last year than any port in the Western Hemisphere in history—has since implemented a program along these same lines, says David Pettit, senior attorney for the National Resources Defense Council. As part of the port’s bigger sustainability efforts, the Pierpass program incentivizes freight companies to move cargo at off-peak hours. https://la.curbed.com/2018/6/7/17419...s-1984-traffic
See also >> https://la.curbed.com/maps/1984-summ...eles-games-map

CaliNative Feb 3, 2022 7:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 9522815)
I remember watching that race on TV, and clearly recall the Decker/Budd incident, but had no recollection of who won the medals. The blonde Romanian winner was Maricica Puică, with silver going to Wendy Sly of Great Britain and bronze to Lynn Williams of Canada. Here's a video about Maricica and the race that also shows a little of the opening ceremony.

Video Link

There she is. I wonder what she is doing now? Good video that brings back memories. The fall occured on the opposite side of the stadium from where I was sitting, so I only had a distant view of it. I agree with the commentator, Puica may have ended up winning the race anyway, fall or no fall. I regret the way a lot of the spectators booed Budd after the collision. I think she cried, and basically reduced her pace. Decker was very nasty and unsportsmanlike, all but blaming Budd, although later she eased up and said she regretted that.

The only other memorable sporting events of this caliber I attended were 2 biggies: Koufax's perfect game against the Cubs in 1965, and Gibson's famous home run night in 1988 against the A's in the World Series. That was truly thrilling. The guy could barely walk. I actually said to the person next to me "can you imagine if he homers?" and Bam! He did! Really, no lie. Roy Hobbs come to life. Thanks Hoss for the Puica video.

CaliNative Feb 3, 2022 7:21 AM

Quote:

CaliNative and Godzilla, can you imagine what price those $50 Olympics Opening Ceremony tickets will be for the next go around? I mean, some good seats for Broadway show tickets for musicals can run $200-$300!

I don't have a great many 1984 Olympic souvenirs, but I have the flashlight (and the bag it came in) for the Closing Ceremonies. I used buses a lot in 1984 and all the bus tokens that year were Olympic Event themed and I have a collection of those. I have a few pins, I even have an Opening Ceremonies pin, but I never saw a closing ceremonies pin!

Since I attended those I looked on eBay and found one like this for what I think is the reasonable price of $9.99, and so I just bought it!

The way one had to buy tickets back then in 1983-84, for the Olympic Events, seems so ancient now. There was a booklet of sorts with all the events and ticket prices etc. and you had to list all the things you wanted tickets for on the order form. You were NOT guaranteed anything you ordered. You also had to pay for everything you ordered, including a per ticket handling fee. When your order was received, they sent you a small decorated box with a souvenir pin in it. Sometime later, I think it was months, you received the tickets you ordered.

I ordered 2 tickets each for 12 different events. I only received tickets for ONE of those 12 events. Not only that, they refunded your ticket prices you paid for in advance, but the per ticket fee was NOT refundable.

There obviously was no online ticket brokers back then. There were some official Olympic Ticket venues where you could go to see what might be available. (I recall that one of them was in the Beverly Center.) There was also some ballrooms in various hotels that sponsored ticket buying and swapping events. When I was trying to find tickets for the Closing Ceremonies I went to one of those. I don't recall if there were any of those tickets or they were just way more than I could attempt to pay.

I actually found an ad in the L.A. Times for some. Somebody in Venice had two closing ceremony tickets and they wanted $400 for them. (His name is on the ticket I still have. That was one of the "security" measures at the time. Your name was printed on all the tickets you ordered.) For several days I had tried to find someone else who would go with me and I could not find anyone who would. (!) When the above mentioned tickets were in grasp, I decided to buy the two and hope I could sell the other one.

I took a couple buses to Venice and met this guy in his small apartment with $400 cash in tow. :uhh: It did not turn noirish :cheers:, so that was good. The guy had quite a lot of pairs of tickets he was selling for many events. I asked him how he got them all as I'd only gotten one out of twelve events I tried ordering. He replied that he just had ordered them the same way I did. :???: He purposely ordered them with the idea of making money off them. He even had tickets and sold them for the Opening Ceremonies. (!) Anyway, I put the tickets in my wallet and left to catch the first bus on Venice Blvd. back home.

I had to make a transfer at Fairfax Ave. Before I had gotten on the Venice bus, and why I don't know :shrug:, but I decided to put my wallet in my front pants pocket for some reason, as I always put it in my back pocket. A fortuitous decision as it turned out. At Fairfax, when I was about to go out the rear exit, as the door opened someone sitting in the seat opposite the exit, reached into my back pocket (to find nothing) and then put their foot on my behind and shoved me out the back door. :irked: As I was stumbling back upright and turned around realizing what was happening the doors had shut and the bus was on its way eastward. So...my tickets/wallet were not stolen and I was alright. :tup: So...I was content with the knowledge I was on my way to the Closing Ceremonies.

I have some cups, beer mugs etc. with the running star logo. Plus a beach towel. Next time I bet the cheapest open ceremony ticket will be about $250, maybe more, but the scalpers and resellers will want 5 times that at least. Best strategy is to go to the stadium about 30 minutes before and hope they have unsold tickets...and that they are not fake. They get more desperate to sell as event approaches, and often you can get a ticket well below face value right before event time. But the opening and closing ceremony is so in demand no tickets may be for sale, at least not below face value. Those that are available have two or three people bidding for them. The other events though, even the premier track and field finals, etc. often have tickets marked down right before event time. The lesser in demand events, e.g. archery etc. are easy to get tickets for, cheap.

JimCraig Feb 3, 2022 3:19 PM

Quote:

GREAT story - thanks for sharing.

HossC Feb 3, 2022 7:20 PM

Quote:

According to most of the inflation calculator websites I checked, $50 in 1984 is worth just under $140 in 2022.

With all the visitor restrictions at the delayed Tokyo Olympics last year, I thought the ticket prices would be unrepresentative, so I decided to go back 10 years to check out prices for the opening ceremony at the London Olympics. I found an article which says that the tickets were priced with face values of £20.12 to £2,012 (you see what they did there?). An article at Forbes.com says that the average resale price for opening ceremony tickets was $2,550 and the highest price they found was $4,000.

Martin Pal Feb 3, 2022 7:41 PM

Yikes ! HossC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9523130)
I watched the closing night fireworks from my bathroom window in West Hollywood.
That's all I got.

Well...you could've bought my extra ticket; you lived across the street! :yes:

Martin Pal Feb 3, 2022 7:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimCraig (Post 9523634)
GREAT story - thanks for sharing.

Thanks, JimCraig! In the days after the Closing Ceremony--watching the tape of it I'd recorded from TV, I began to think over the years what I'd remember would start to be everything from the TV recording, so I decided to write down, like one might do in a diary or journal, my recollections from the Olympics here, but specifically attending the Closing Ceremonies. I read it again about ten years later and was glad I had done that. I had noted the atmosphere, little things I'd overheard people say, what I saw people eating, some things I saw people wearing and little incidents like when a cat appeared out of nowhere running down the aisle and jumping down onto the field. I also remember noting that in the row in front of me were two empty seats that were never used and I wondered if there might have been a vacant one at the Opening Ceremonies I could have been in, Heh! I also recalled some Australian atheletes who were on the field grounds, meandering around and occasionally mooning the spectators! :cheers:

Martin Pal Feb 3, 2022 8:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Godzilla (Post 9523308)
FWIW, there is an ebay closing ceremonies ticket auction where the ticket bears a $200 face value. (Section 7, Row 34, Set 15 https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Los-An...s/233639672648 )

At some point I had read that most (like 3/4) of the tickets available for both the opening and closing ceremonies were priced at $200, then 1/2 of the remaining were $100 and the other half $50.

ethereal_reality Feb 3, 2022 10:30 PM

Here are a couple of slides, both dated 1947, that were just listed on eBay

The first is a mystery view. ..(I'm pretty sure it was backwards on eBay so I flipped it)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/7OdMn8.jpg
eBay

And here's the second slide.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/zuGZiR.jpg
eBay

This shouldn't be a mystery location but yours truly doesn't recognize the hotel. :(

The two slides are being sold together.... Link

ethereal_reality Feb 3, 2022 10:41 PM

But wait! There's more.

The same seller has this slide listed as well.

"Los Angeles 1947 Color Slide: MOBILGAS Gas Station Attendant & Pumps"

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/923/oIqN3A.jpg

Link

This slide is being sold separately.

Handsome Stranger Feb 4, 2022 6:52 PM

:previous: I though I'd try a little color correction on this one.

https://i.postimg.cc/V62k4NvC/1947-MOBILGAS.jpg

CaliNative Feb 5, 2022 1:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9523130)

That's all I got.

I went to the opening ceremony, but not the closing. I tried to get a ticket--went down to the Coliseum area shortly before the event hoping to find a ticket from a scalper near face value. The cheapest one for sale was offered at 3 times face, and he wouldn't budge. So I stood around for a while and absorbed the atmosphere outside the stadium & bought some souveneers. Finally went to a bar not far away near USC and watched on TV. Went outside for the fireworks, which you could see from outside the bar. A possible mugger approached me, or possibly just a panhandler. Not wanting to push my luck, I gave the man a ten dollar bill which he accepted. I told him "look, pay this forward and give if you can to someone else". Most people have some shred of good in them, and he said he would. I told him about the fireworks and he watched them. After the fireworks I made a hasty retreat. I think you were safer watching from your bathroom. I lucked out, possibly evading a noirish night.

How about that poor 49ers fan that got beaten into a coma outside SOFI? Similar to that Giants fan who got his skull crushed outside Dodger Stadium by two thugs about 10 years ago. He lived, but is severely brain damaged. Not sure how the victim at SOFI is doing. So much violence lurking everywhere.

CaliNative Feb 5, 2022 2:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossC (Post 9522815)

Video Link

Maybe there is an Olympic curse on the name "Decker". I heard that a lady hockey player (and co-captain) on the U.S. team in Beijing with the surname "Decker" got tangled up with another player and injured her leg, and coudn't continue. I think she is out of the games.

John Maddox Roberts Feb 5, 2022 5:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliNative (Post 9525781)
Maybe there is an Olympic curse on the name "Decker". I heard that a lady hockey player (and co-captain) on the U.S. team in Beijing with the surname "Decker" got tangled up with another player and injured her leg, and coudn't continue. I think she is out of the games.

Maybe because the noirish Bladerunner (Harrison Ford) in the 1982 film set in a future L.A. is named Deckard.

Martin Pal Feb 5, 2022 7:36 PM

Nice work on color correcting that photo Handsome Stranger!

Martin Pal Feb 5, 2022 7:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliNative (Post 9525773)
How about that poor 49ers fan that got beaten into a coma outside SOFI?

I'm only interrupting NLA and posting a response because no one knows the details yet and wanted to put that out there. And it's only being reported as LA Fan Beats Up a SF Fan. Details are not known yet.

I happened to see a live press conference Q&A that the Mayor of Inglewood, James Butts, gave on this incident Thursday night. There is a "hazy" video, not released yet, of the incident he describes that he says shows several people "possibly" 49ers fans are standing around and of them, Oakland resident Daniel Luna, was involved in a brief pushing match with another person, who was possibly wearing a Rams jersey.

That person pushed Luna back and punched him once in the mouth, according to the video. Luna fell to the ground and was found some time later by SoFi security personnel. "It looked like a small altercation that went very bad," said Butts, who said the video isn't being released as the investigation remains ongoing. "Five seconds. Push. Turn around, push, punch. It wasn't even five seconds." Butts shared the developments during a press conference Thursday evening.

So now everyone seems to be escalating this into another LA fan beats SF fan. Apaprenty, though, Luna started it according to what the mayor said and the possible LA fan was in "a group of possible" SF fans.

I'm of the opinion until anyone knows what was really going on not to speculate. Of the info gleaned from what I wrote, my 1st question is if Luna was in a "group" of SF fans, why is that "he was found some time later by SoFi security personnel." Reporters questioning the mayor kept asking why it was kept secret as though there was evil intent in doing that. However, the mayor said SoFi stadium security personnel found the man and initially had no reason to suspect there was anything police needed to be concerned about as they've previously found drunk people who've fallen and injured themselves.