SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

poconoboy61 Jan 23, 2020 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan (Post 8808324)
Sounds like a rant to me. Yeah, brown water would not be good but I’m sure they fixed it along with electrical issues. Water pressure sucks in highrises or even midrises. Getting your own shower head fixes it :-). But the homeless problem in this City is a big issue. Proper locks for the lobby is a necessity to keep the wrong people out. Can’t do too much about someone throwing a rock through the window though even with security besides hopefully catching them. I rode by The Link the other day and they had a broken window too. City square had a broken window a while back, they fixed it and there’s another broken window again. Nothing makes me more upset that vandalism, destroying stuff with no purpose just proves your drag on society. I definitely feel there are some homeless and poorer people out there that are upset at the growth, beautification and just good things (at least to us) that are happening downtown. I over heard a conversation outside The Whinning Pig last week, talking about the haves and have nots referring to Block 23s Ryan Apartment’s going up. Like someone said earlier, it all comes down to supply and demand but what happens to the have nots????? I agree with biggie diggus to a degree, we may need some more lower income housing soon. Maybe some towers like New York City type projects.

The last thing any city needs is high rise, low income housing projects. That model has been shown to be a failure in every American city. NYC’s Housing Authority had a backlog of 170k maintenance orders in mid 2018. Projects are breeding grounds from crime and all sorts of other social ills.

biggus diggus Jan 23, 2020 12:03 AM

Skid Row in LA is Disneyland compared to San Francisco. Talk a walk anywhere near the mint or city hall in San Francisco or even worse 6th between Market and Folsom. Wow. It's sad and terrifying.

I've been in both places quite a bit. San Francisco has human excrement all over the sidewalks, dirty needles everywhere and people having no issue defecating or urinating in the middle of a busy sidewalk. LA is almost as bad, Seattle isn't far behind and parts of Denver are pretty rough.

Regardless, to say Phoenix has a big issue with homeless just shows you haven't seen what a real issue looks like.

biggus diggus Jan 23, 2020 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poconoboy61 (Post 8808456)
The last thing any city needs is high rise, low income housing projects. That model has been shown to be a failure in every American city. NYC’s Housing Authority had a backlog of 170k maintenance orders in mid 2018. Projects are breeding grounds from crime and all sorts of other social ills.

I don't think TJ was suggesting Phoenix build high rise project housing when he said "low income". At least I hope not.

I just thought he meant more affordable housing for lower income workers. The whole world isn't full of people who make $5,500 a month and can afford an $1,800 one bedroom apartment. The reality is even at $1,000 it's getting hard for the average hourly wage earner to afford on their own.

A lack of affordable housing contributes to homelessness and increases crime as well.

TJPHXskyscraperfan Jan 23, 2020 12:53 AM

I was just saying at the rate we’re growing, and needing affordable housing, it may require some towers.

TJPHXskyscraperfan Jan 23, 2020 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8808459)
Skid Row in LA is Disneyland compared to San Francisco. Talk a walk anywhere near the mint or city hall in San Francisco or even worse 6th between Market and Folsom. Wow. It's sad and terrifying.

I've been in both places quite a bit. San Francisco has human excrement all over the sidewalks, dirty needles everywhere and people having no issue defecating or urinating in the middle of a busy sidewalk. LA is almost as bad, Seattle isn't far behind and parts of Denver are pretty rough.

Regardless, to say Phoenix has a big issue with homeless just shows you haven't seen what a real issue looks like.

I guess I just wasn’t in those area, although did a lot of walking. I don’t know how anything could be worse than Skid Row. I was told about needles everywhere and feces and be careful where you walk but didn’t see any. One thing I did see when we were walking back to our hotel pretty late, 1 in the morningish.. I looked to my right in the door way of a building and literally saw a guy shooting up. That kind of startled us but just continued walking.

exit2lef Jan 23, 2020 1:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan (Post 8808417)
I was there back in May last year and I thought the problem would be worse. I was in a lot of tourist areas but I didn’t see a lot of homeless. The thing is, there are so many people walking around, so regular people out number them so it didn’t seem that bad to me.

That was my experience as well during a visit last summer. Based on media coverage, I expected to encounter street homeless and their detritus everywhere I went. Instead, I saw fewer than I typically do in Phoenix. That's not to say the problem doesn't exist, but I suspect there's some exaggeration going on for a variety of reasons.

michael85225 Jan 23, 2020 2:17 AM

So did Central Station get a height increase? The new rendering looks to be about 35 floors but it was originally supposed to be 30 right?

ASU Diablo Jan 23, 2020 2:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael85225 (Post 8808604)
So did Central Station get a height increase? The new rendering looks to be about 35 floors but it was originally supposed to be 30 right?

Looks like we need a homelessness thread now! lol

But back to development news, it certainly appears so from renderings but have no idea. Maybe RonnieFoos can put in another records request to confirm? :)

Asked mods to move Central Station related posts so they wouldn’t get lost in the recent homeless convo

TJPHXskyscraperfan Jan 23, 2020 4:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 8808591)
That was my experience as well during a visit last summer. Based on media coverage, I expected to encounter street homeless and their detritus everywhere I went. Instead, I saw fewer than I typically do in Phoenix. That's not to say the problem doesn't exist, but I suspect there's some exaggeration going on for a variety of reasons.

Agreed, also rode the train from San Fran to Oakland, I was expecting to see at least some shady characters but it was like night and day compared to riding our light rail. People going to places with a reason, everyone on their phones,lol, doing work, watching videos, whatever.

fawd Jan 23, 2020 5:50 AM

🤔🤔🤔

LA has a SEVERE vagrant problem. The city spent over $600 million last year on the homeless. Over 700MM is budgeted for 2020, and it is only getting worse.

I live in Southern California most of the year and can tell you first hand its is out of control. And... you'd be insane to even try to compare DTPHX to SF or LA. I had a place at 44 Monroe for 5 years and it's not even remotely close.

fawd Jan 23, 2020 5:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8808459)
Skid Row in LA is Disneyland compared to San Francisco. San Francisco or even worse 6th between Market and Folsom.

I've been in both places quite a bit.

If you like visiting Skid Row, I suggest you check out the Santa Ana river trail! You'd love it!!! 😂🤣

PHXFlyer11 Jan 23, 2020 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael85225 (Post 8808604)

I’m probably most excited for this project (other than Astra). That area already feels dense with Kenect going up, Freeport and Chase right there. This would completely make that area feel like a big city.

Side note: I keep hoping that crap stub building that houses MAG on 1st Ave and Van Buren will get demolished for a new tower.

biggus diggus Jan 23, 2020 2:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawd (Post 8808795)
If you like visiting Skid Row, I suggest you check out the Santa Ana river trail! You'd love it!!! 😂🤣

I guess I worded that poorly. I'm in LA and SF a lot, not skid row and tenderloin. :haha:

Obadno Jan 23, 2020 3:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8808467)
I don't think TJ was suggesting Phoenix build high rise project housing when he said "low income". At least I hope not.

I just thought he meant more affordable housing for lower income workers. The whole world isn't full of people who make $5,500 a month and can afford an $1,800 one bedroom apartment. The reality is even at $1,000 it's getting hard for the average hourly wage earner to afford on their own.

A lack of affordable housing contributes to homelessness and increases crime as well.

Yeah this, all the apartments downtown are far too expensive for the anyone making below median income (for the city) I think it wouldn't be bad to see more market rate apartments of smaller size, fewer amenities and maybe more economy finishes/materials to meet the demands of people who cant afford the "luxury" apartment prices.

Obadno Jan 23, 2020 3:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 8808850)
I’m probably most excited for this project (other than Astra). That area already feels dense with Kenect going up, Freeport and Chase right there. This would completely make that area feel like a big city.

Side note: I keep hoping that crap stub building that houses MAG on 1st Ave and Van Buren will get demolished for a new tower.

Im fine with that little tower, Id rather a skinny tall shard go up in the neighboring parking lot :tup:

Obadno Jan 23, 2020 3:30 PM

Also sorry to post-bomb but there is heavy equipment moving dirt for Portrait phase 2, saw yesterday around 3pm.

Is this going to be apartments or an office? there is still a sign up for the original office building conversion but building itself has long since been torn down.

ASU Diablo Jan 23, 2020 3:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8809017)
Also sorry to post-bomb but there is heavy equipment moving dirt for Portrait phase 2, saw yesterday around 3pm.

Is this going to be apartments or an office? there is still a sign up for the original office building conversion but building itself has long since been torn down.

Pretty sure they went with apartments after all since they weren't able to find anyone to occupy the office space

Chestnut1 Jan 23, 2020 3:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8809017)

Apartments

PHXFlyer11 Jan 23, 2020 3:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8809013)
Yeah this, all the apartments downtown are far too expensive for the anyone making below median income (for the city) I think it wouldn't be bad to see more market rate apartments of smaller size, fewer amenities and maybe more economy finishes/materials to meet the demands of people who cant afford the "luxury" apartment prices.

I think everyone agrees there would be demand, but I don't see anyone who would want to invest to earn a lower return. At the end of the day, developers have the right to invest their money where they can earn the highest return.

Sure I guess you could offer tax incentives, but likely that wouldn't be enough. I mean, maybe a 50-story tower of micro apartments? Have the volume compensate for the reduce rents? At the end of the day, I think the solution is still more and more towers so that supply exceeds demand and rents fall. As towers age rents should also decrease.

Obadno Jan 23, 2020 3:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 8809035)
I think everyone agrees there would be demand, but I don't see anyone who would want to invest to earn a lower return. At the end of the day, developers have the right to invest their money where they can earn the highest return.

Sure I guess you could offer tax incentives, but likely that wouldn't be enough. I mean, maybe a 50-story tower of micro apartments? Have the volume compensate for the reduce rents? At the end of the day, I think the solution is still more and more towers so that supply exceeds demand and rents fall. As towers age rents should also decrease.

I agree that the best option is just to keep building, My point is I think if a developer took the chance they would find tons of demand at a lower price point.