SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

Pedestrian May 21, 2021 5:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9286812)
Show of hands:

Who’s up for heading to Pedestrian’s house and breathing on him?

(J/k)

You wouldn't get in. My building has 24/7 security. And if you got in, you would never find my apartment.

Pedestrian May 21, 2021 5:48 PM

Quote:

. . . the (San Francisco) Chronicle analyzed how counties’ vaccination rates correlated with several other demographic metrics, including education levels, poverty rates, rates of uninsured residents, and the share of Black, Hispanic and Asian residents. Basically, we wanted to know which one metric best predicts a county’s vaccination rates besides the vaccination rate itself. The analysis excluded counties with fewer than 250,000 people, plus six states with incomplete data: Georgia, West Virginia, Virginia, Texas, Colorado and Vermont.

We found that, by far, a county’s vaccination rate was most strongly correlated with the percentage of its adult residents with college degrees. Knowing the share of people with a college degree explains about half of the difference between counties in vaccination rates. For every 1% increase in a county’s rate of college-educated adults, there is an almost 0.5% greater share of people fully vaccinated . . . .

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...619238/enhance

https://www.sfchronicle.com/local/ar...n-16192839.php

Pedestrian May 21, 2021 5:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dktshb (Post 9287833)
I cannot believe all this anger about having to wear a mask, anger about people not wearing a mask and anger about people wearing a mask.

I find it very disappointing that so many people are so whiny about such a simple, harmless thing. I compare asking people to wear a mask only in public indoor spaces (and only until the vast majority of people are vaccinated and the virus has been adequately suppressed so that we are not seeing new cases every day) to the privations people endured without complaint in other situations like the world wars and major economic disruptions like the Great Depression and I can only think our current population is just a bunch of self-obsessed whimps.

SIGSEGV May 21, 2021 7:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9287921)
I find it very disappointing that so many people are so whiny about such a simple, harmless thing. I compare asking people to wear a mask only in public indoor spaces (and only until the vast majority of people are vaccinated and the virus has been adequately suppressed so that we are not seeing new cases every day) to the privations people endured without complaint in other situations like the world wars and major economic disruptions like the Great Depression and I can only think our current population is just a bunch of self-obsessed whimps.

It's ridiculous, wearing a mask is almost no effort. Easier than keeping your shoes tied...

twister244 May 21, 2021 7:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9287921)
and only until the vast majority of people are vaccinated and the virus has been adequately suppressed so that we are not seeing new cases every day

You are NEVER going to get to that point, come back down to planet Earth for a minute. This virus is endemic, and won't go away. That's pretty established now. There are a subset of people that just won't get the vaccine, sorry. You can't mandate it either because it will fall in the courts.

Get your vaccine, and move on. At some point, you have to stop forcing people to wear masks inside everywhere too. If you are still afraid of this thing, then stay home......

I don't know what else to say here.

twister244 May 21, 2021 7:39 PM

Also, have you ever stopped to think that the selfish opinion here is to continue to expect everyone else to continue to distance and mask up inside just because you are afraid of this thing when you go to an indoors place?....

I understand the vaccine isn't 100% effective, but it's pretty damn close to preventing any severe illness to the point where you will die. I'm sorry, but you need to learn to move on from this thing guys.

Like I said, last night, you can see things are opening up now. Masks are coming down here in Chicago, and it's only a matter of days before we are pretty much back to normal. You can't stop that tide from coming.

the urban politician May 21, 2021 7:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9287903)
You wouldn't get in. My building has 24/7 security. And if you got in, you would never find my apartment.

I'm already in your apartment....

JManc May 21, 2021 7:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 9287992)
It's ridiculous, wearing a mask is almost no effort. Easier than keeping your shoes tied...

No one is saying you can't or shouldn't wear a mask but more and more places are making them optional (per CDC) so those who are vaccinated should be able to opt without being judged.

TWAK May 21, 2021 8:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 9287992)

What's with the huge gap between the different posters from Chicago? This phenomena has happened before where there is a clear urban/suburban divide in opinions. Actually, I think the harshest posts against Ped have all been from there... mostly. I'm currently wearing my mask again (I wasn't) since I scraped my nose ripping out shelving, and I hope they don't think I'm "virtue signalling".

10023 May 21, 2021 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 9287851)
Yeah, I don't buy it. I was just in Prospect Park this morning and saw maybe two or three masks out of hundreds of people there exercising.

This was a while back, but at no point in the past year was it necessary to wear a mask in a park. And yet some people felt otherwise.

Centropolis May 21, 2021 10:59 PM

Tmi

Centropolis May 21, 2021 11:06 PM

i’ll put a mask on if a business wants me to. but i was looking to fly to montreal and they have a curfew? are you *fucking* kidding me?

iheartthed May 22, 2021 1:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Centropolis (Post 9288209)
i’ll put a mask on if a business wants me to. but i was looking to fly to montreal and they have a curfew? are you *fucking* kidding me?

Is Canada open to tourists? The gov'ts just announced that the land border is closed for another month.

They were also way behind the U.S. in vaccinations, but looks like they just caught up.

chris08876 May 22, 2021 1:30 AM

NYC is back baby!

Jesus is the son of God!

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/busin...b7f085be4.jpeg

Kngkyle May 22, 2021 2:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 9288300)
Is Canada open to tourists? The gov'ts just announced that the land border is closed for another month.

They were also way behind the U.S. in vaccinations, but looks like they just caught up.

Ontario is really opening up now.

Tomorrow they are removing the ban on golfing, tennis, and other outdoor recreational activities with less than 5 people.

In mid-June they are planning to allow 15% retail capacity and outdoor seating for up to 4 people per table at restaurants.

Then in July they will allow 6 people per table for outdoor dining, 25% retail capacity, and up to 5 people for indoor gatherings.

Indoor dining might be allowed to some extent by fall.

I'm not joking.

Pedestrian May 22, 2021 3:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twister244 (Post 9288031)
You are NEVER going to get to that point, come back down to planet Earth for a minute. This virus is endemic, and won't go away. That's pretty established now. There are a subset of people that just won't get the vaccine, sorry. You can't mandate it either because it will fall in the courts.

Get your vaccine, and move on. At some point, you have to stop forcing people to wear masks inside everywhere too. If you are still afraid of this thing, then stay home......

I don't know what else to say here.

I totally disagree. Maybe you are too young to remember when just about every kid had measles, chicken pox and mumps, viral diseases that are at least as contagious as COVID. Do you know anybody who's had any of them? Outbreaks of measles and mumps, anyway, make the news and significant outbreaks make the national news. That's because effective vaccines were developed for all. And the fact that there are always some people who don't get vaccinated is what "herd immunity" is about: Eliminating viral transmission to the extent that even the unvaccinated are protected (about 7% of kids don't get the polio vaccine and 10% don't get the measles vaccine and yet a kid getting either is rare).

Portland, Oregon has taken a sensible approach at this stage of the pandemic: Businesses can let people take off their masks inside if the business checks to be sure they are vaccinated. Otherwise, the indoor mask mandate remains. Portland is still having lots of cases.

In San Francisco, on the other hand:

Quote:

One of the Bay Area's biggest hospitals has hit a huge milestone: Zero COVID patients
Kellie Hwang
May 20, 2021
Updated: May 20, 2021 6:34 p.m.

For the first time since March 2020, San Francisco General Hospital has reported zero COVID-19 patients.

The development Thursday marked a major pandemic progress point for San Francisco and one of its biggest and best known hospitals. Officials said COVID-19 vaccinations were largely to thank.

“This is a huge milestone in the pandemic to show the power of the effectiveness of the vaccines,” said Monica Gandhi, an infectious disease expert at UCSF and medical director of the HIV Clinic at the hospital. “This milestone continues to assure us the epidemic in San Francisco is no longer a public health threat.”

She pointed to the 76% of San Francisco residents 16 and older who have received at least one dose of a coronavirus vaccine, and the city’s low virus case rate and positive test rate . . . .
https://www.sfchronicle.com/local/ar...s-16192133.php

This may be more impressive even than it seems because SF General is the hospital for the city's poor and uninsured including its well-known homeless population. If it has virtually eliminated symptomatic COVID among that population, it is on the way to completely suppressing the disease as I described and you are calling impossible. When we in the Bay Area get the kids vaccinated and have another month or two to work on the hardest-to-reach adults, I think we can empty all the hospitals and then through contact tracing we can make the disease rare as it is in places like New Zealand, Taiwan, even China (did you forget about those places?). Then it'll be up to the rest of the country to learn by example or not.

JManc May 22, 2021 3:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9288371)
I totally disagree. Maybe you are too young to remember when just about every kid had measles, chicken pox and mumps, viral diseases that are at least as contagious as COVID.

Up until very recently; the past decade or so, vaccine compliance was very high. Not nearly as well with covid vaccines where a significant portion of the population are flat out refusing...even if they don't oppose childhood vaccines.

Pedestrian May 22, 2021 3:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9288374)
Up until very recently; the past decade or so, vaccine compliance was very high. Not nearly as well with covid vaccines where a significant portion of the population are flat out refusing...even if they don't oppose childhood vaccines.

I added the current stats: 10% non-compliance for measles which, believe it or not, is MORE contagious than COVID and the vaccine for which is about equally effective. But we only see important measles outbreaks in local communities where non-compliance is substantially higher. This is the best-known example of herd immunity. And I think as the political dimension fades we can get COVID vaccines to the 90+/-% range, especially if, as I've read the next generation of vaccines are pills or nasal sprays.

SIGSEGV May 22, 2021 3:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9288382)
I added the current stats: 10% non-compliance for measles which, believe it or not, is MORE contagious than COVID and the vaccine for which is about equally effective. But we only see important measles outbreaks in local communities where non-compliance is substantially higher. This is the best-known example of herd immunity. And I think as the political dimension fades we can get COVID vaccines to the 90+/-% range, especially if, as I've read the next generation of vaccines are pills or nasal sprays.

It might happen again...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E...asles_outbreak

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_S...asles_outbreak

Pedestrian May 22, 2021 3:40 AM

^^More:

Quote:

An unweighted sample of 11,710 children (weighted to 4.1 million) was selected. Approximately 70% of children completed all doses of six recommended vaccines by 24 months of age. Completion rates varied by antigen, ranging from 68% completing two or three doses of rotavirus vaccine to 92% completing three doses of inactivated poliovirus vaccine. Vaccine completion rates also varied at different measurement periods, with the lowest rates observed at 18 months. Approximately 26% of children received all doses of six recommended vaccines on time. Among the 74% of children who received at least one late dose, 39% had >7 months of undervaccination. Patterns of completion and compliance also varied by geographic region.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26597149/

And yet, we no longer see diseases like measles, polio, mumps, even rubella and chicken pox (and certainly smallpox).