SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

MonkeyRonin Jul 14, 2020 4:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8980810)
Yeah, I can understand various opinions about how deadly the virus is and how we can debate different lockdown philosophies (and their economic impact).

But choosing to not wear a mask when in public is just........saying "fuck you" to everyone. I can't think of a good reason not do. Sad that people are walking around doing this

Are we talking indoors or outdoors here? Because there's enough evidence at this point to suggest that the risk of outdoor community transmission (especially where one can reasonably distance from others) as being very, very low. On the other hand, there's also ample evidence that shows the effectiveness of masks in indoor settings. Still refusing to wear a mask when inside around others is indeed selfish and dumb.

This is how it's working in Toronto now (and some other parts of Ontario, and now Quebec as well). Masks are required on public transit and in all indoor public spaces (shops, workplaces, etc.) but not outdoors. As a result compliance indoors is near 100%, but outside most people pull their masks down or take them off since there's little risk in doing so. Cases were already on the decline, but this should hopefully be the final piece of the puzzle in bringing community spread down to ~0.

Minato Ku Jul 14, 2020 5:03 PM

This is same here in Paris.
People wear mask indoor but not outdoor.

However there are some people who don't know how to wear masks, they don't cover their noses and there are those who remove it when they are on phone. :rolleyes:

Masks will become mandatory in all indoor public spaces in France.
While it was mandatory on public transportation, for other places it was the will of the owner. Doctors complained about this fact.

Obviously not inside restaurants but all employees wear mask.
I have yet to see a shop where vendors don't wear mask.

Steely Dan Jul 14, 2020 5:35 PM

Masks on when inside any public building (store, restaurant, transit, etc.) is damn near 100% in my neighborhood here in Chicago.

Outdoors, it's more of a mixed bag. Some people seem to wear masks whenever they leave home. Most people seem to leave masks off when they are on less crowded side streets, but put them on when they get on more crowded main streets with more pedestrians around (I fall into that camp). And a minority seem to never wear a mask anywhere outside regardless of the crowdedness of the sidewalk.

the urban politician Jul 14, 2020 6:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin (Post 8980819)
Are we talking indoors or outdoors here? Because there's enough evidence at this point to suggest that the risk of outdoor community transmission (especially where one can reasonably distance from others) as being very, very low. On the other hand, there's also ample evidence that shows the effectiveness of masks in indoor settings. Still refusing to wear a mask when inside around others is indeed selfish and dumb.

This is how it's working in Toronto now (and some other parts of Ontario, and now Quebec as well). Masks are required on public transit and in all indoor public spaces (shops, workplaces, etc.) but not outdoors. As a result compliance indoors is near 100%, but outside most people pull their masks down or take them off since there's little risk in doing so. Cases were already on the decline, but this should hopefully be the final piece of the puzzle in bringing community spread down to ~0.

Always indoor
Outdoors only when you will be in close proximity to others (and you're not actively eating or drinking)
Otherwise, obviously if you're going for a walk in a park, a bike ride, or a jog, I don't think masks are necessary (nor do I wear one)

BG918 Jul 14, 2020 6:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8980936)
Always indoor
Outdoors only when you will be in close proximity to others (and you're not actively eating or drinking)
Otherwise, obviously if you're going for a walk in a park, a bike ride, or a jog, I don't think masks are necessary (nor do I wear one)

In Denver you're required to wear them indoors but can take them off when seated even if you're not eating/drinking. Maybe half the people walking around outside have masks on. Very rare to see someone exercising in a mask but I have seen it.

JManc Jul 14, 2020 6:15 PM

I'd say masks are at 99% in indoor public places...there are always those assholes who have 'opened there eyes' and refuse to wear them but vast majority just suck it up. About 50/50 wear them outside. I don't wear mine outside. It's Houston, it's 90+ degrees and I am not in crowded situations.

eschaton Jul 14, 2020 6:15 PM

I've worn my N95 even biking uphill. It's not that hard to wear it while exercising.

edale Jul 14, 2020 6:18 PM

It's kind of puzzling to read accounts of people not wearing masks, not distancing, not staying home, etc. in countries where Covid has largely been knocked down.

All I hear about is how Americans are so selfish and unable to do these simple things that the rest of the world has figured out, and that's why we're seeing an insane number of new daily cases while Europe, Canada, Australia, etc. all are looking great. But in my experience in LA, almost everyone wears masks- certainly inside, but also outside. Our state went into lockdown early, and judging by the nearly empty streets, compliance was strong. No doubt there are fringe idiots (especially in places like Orange County) who protested the forced closures and now masks, but they are definitely a minority. From the sound of it, everywhere has people who aren't compliant. I've seen videos from parties in various cities in Europe, packed parks with no social distancing in Berlin, just read a Twitter thread from a woman in Montreal who said maybe 1/3 of the people in her grocery store were wearing masks...

I don't understand why the US and the rest of the world is so divergent. Maybe my experience in LA isn't reflective of the rest of the US, but we're seeing an uptick in cases here, too.

Buckeye Native 001 Jul 14, 2020 6:33 PM

I'm not surprised about Orange County, having gone to college there. It's full of Karens all along the coast and south of John Wayne Airport.

I guess part of the problem is this "I've got mine, fuck you" mentality that subtlety defines the American persona of rugged individualism. A lot of us aren't like that but we've got enough people in positions of power who are, and that, rightly or wrongly, reflects back on the majority of our republic.

Crawford Jul 14, 2020 6:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 (Post 8980973)
I'm not surprised about Orange County, having gone to college there. It's full of Karens all along the coast and south of John Wayne Airport.

I have an elderly aunt there, and she feels like a prisoner in her own home, because she's near the beach and a ton of retail (right off the PCH), and no one is apparently masking.

OC is now a Dem-dominated majority-minority county, but Huntington Beach/Costa Mesa southwards along the coast still leans right and is surprisingly Trumpie (excepting Laguna Beach). Places like Newport Beach and Dana Point are really, really white, Protestant, conservative and broish. Practically no Asians or Latinos.

Buckeye Native 001 Jul 14, 2020 7:07 PM

I lived in the City of Orange from 2002-2007. They don't have as much pull as they used to, but there's still a predominantly white (Asian in Irvine), conservative base in the ritzier parts of the county. Santa Ana/Anaheim/Garden Grove/Westminster/Buena Park/Fountain Valley? Not so much.

Omaharocks Jul 14, 2020 9:47 PM

I've been in Santa Fe the past few weeks on work-related duty, and drove from Atlanta.

My experiences with masks - nowhere in the south I travelled through really stood out. Probably 75% mask usage indoors (a bit higher in urban Atlanta). Few people wear masks outdoors.

Texas stood out for how few people I saw wearing masks. While staying with family west of Austin (where there was a huge rise in cases), we went grocery shopping and less than half the shoppers there had masks. In most other indoor areas, at least in Fredrichsburg (shops, cafes), it was probably less than 10%.

And here in New Mexico? It's 100% mask usage anywhere indoors, and nearly 100% outdoors. People are even exercising/biking in masks. Still, cases are rising.

Yuri Jul 14, 2020 10:33 PM

Again about masks, it continues to be 100% here in São Paulo. I myself don’t use them at work, but I sit four meters away from my other two colleagues. All the rest are working from home. But on my way to work, mask is on as everybody else in the city.

Today stats: Brazil reached 74,100 deaths, São Paulo state 18,300. It’s crazy to think back in February it was only an exotic thing from the distant China. Six months later, it has killed tens of thousands people right here.

muppet Jul 15, 2020 7:40 AM

In the UK masks are mandatory in all shops and transport

10023 Jul 15, 2020 10:26 AM

What I’ve seen so far in Milan is that the vast majority of people have masks (unlike in London), but tend to be wearing them as what Gov. Cuomo would call a chin-strap. A minority are actually wearing them properly, and many people aren’t actually wearing them (women tend to have it around their neck, men tied around the wrist like a sort of bracelet).

In restaurants you wear it to get from the door to your table (as in London), but then take it off and put it away so that looking around the room the only people with masks are servers.

You can’t wear a mask while running, eating, drinking, smoking or talking on the phone so in parks or on the street, most people do not have properly work masks.

10023 Jul 15, 2020 10:32 AM

Mask-wearing in the US seems to have turned into a form of virtue-signalling whereby someone shows that they are not like Trump. I wonder if it’s the same in Brazil.

In countries without idiot leaders who refuse to wear masks, this extreme counter reaction isn’t relevant.

the urban politician Jul 15, 2020 1:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8981682)
Mask-wearing in the US seems to have turned into a form of virtue-signalling whereby someone shows that they are not like Trump.

Disagree with this. Yes, some of the Trumpist 4 Life people reject masks, but most people here who wear them do it and it has zero to do with politics

Steely Dan Jul 15, 2020 2:01 PM

Quote:

Mask-wearing in the US seems to have turned into a form of virtue-signalling whereby someone shows that they are not like Trump.

I wear a mask when I'm around other people for two main reasons:

1. They are required by law inside any indoor public space in Chicago.

2. Infectious disease experts (who know infinitely more about this stuff than I do) have reached a consensus that universal mask wearing can help our society get past this pandemic quicker while also saving lives until a proper vaccine can be developed. As a non-self-centered person, I don't mind partaking in an incredibly small and minor inconvenience that will help our society and save lives, according to the experts.

It really doesn't have anything to do with virtue signalling, just following the advice of the experts.

iheartthed Jul 15, 2020 3:35 PM

Quote:

Mask-wearing in the US seems to have turned into a form of virtue-signalling whereby someone shows that they are not like Trump. I wonder if it’s the same in Brazil.

In countries without idiot leaders who refuse to wear masks, this extreme counter reaction isn’t relevant.

Funny, I think it's just the opposite. I think it's the people who won't wear a mask that are virtue signaling. Also, the president of Brazil was ordered by a court to wear a mask in public.

Buckeye Native 001 Jul 15, 2020 3:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8981792)
As a non-self-centered person

Well, there's your problem.