SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Skyscraper & Highrise Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   CHICAGO | 400 N Lake Shore Drive | 851 FT & 765 FT | 73 & ? FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219306)

Investing In Chicago May 10, 2018 8:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomrQT (Post 8183775)
Hard to believe you're not in a foul mood, you seem to be just looking to pick a fight.

It's an attack. You're trying to dictate that it's not appropriate that I'm disappointed a 2,000 ft building isn't going on this site by using some tangent logic that another developer now controls the site. The Spire was on it's way, a lot of foundation work was done. And "real" or not, based on the renderings, I'm disappointed that these larger projects didn't happen, regardless of who the developer is. I find it silly you're even trying to argue against me being disappointed that we have been shown multiple giant proposals for this site and now a 2,000 footer is all but out of the running now.

Enjoy the long weekend.

But what are you disappointed about? Related has literally released no information about their plans for the Spire site, how can you be disappointed when we haven't seen anything?

Steely Dan May 10, 2018 8:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomrQT (Post 8183775)
It's an attack. You're trying to dictate that it's not appropriate that I'm disappointed a 2,000 ft building isn't going on this site .

huh?

i literally just said

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan
it's fine if you're disappointed that there won't be a mega-tall going on the 400 N LSD site

honestly dude, there's no attacking here, just clarifying.

Chi-Sky21 May 10, 2018 9:01 PM

a lot of personal "attacks" going on around here lately..you guys are taking all this to seriously....i come here to get away from all the vitriol and hate in the world today! I say...Lighten up francis!

left of center May 10, 2018 9:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomrQT (Post 8183728)
I don't know why you're always in such a foul mood. You attack me for having the opinion that it sucks we get shown these massive tall projects and then they disappear. Ok Steely, I'll make sure to call you out the next time you complain about a project that didn't come to fruition or meet your expectations.

I think you may have misinterpreted Steely's response to you. In the many years I've been reading these boards, I can safely say that he is probably one of the most most fair, level headed posters on here.

It's all good dude. We're all here for the same reason :)

Notyrview May 10, 2018 9:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago (Post 8183799)
But what are you disappointed about? Related has literally released no information about their plans for the Spire site, how can you be disappointed when we haven't seen anything?

Uhh have you seen Related's portfolio?

Notyrview May 10, 2018 9:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 8183827)
I think you may have misinterpreted Steely's response to you. In the many years I've been reading these boards, he is probably one of the most most fair, level headed posters on here.

It's all good dude. We're all here for the same reason :)

Yeah he's fair. For the longest time, I thought it was him deleting any post i made that was critical of OBP. But that's not that case.

donnie May 10, 2018 9:07 PM

Stick to the topic people and personal problems should be told to your shrink or local bartender!

CAN'T WAIT.._..

Kumdogmillionaire May 10, 2018 9:59 PM

60 minutes or less before the news might start breaking from my favorite peeps who are able to attend the 78, which reminds me. Here's my humble predictions:

- Two towers, one shorter than the other, which is all but confirmed by everything we know... so that's hardly a bold claim

- The main tower will kind of look like a choad, and use much of the foundation from the Spire.

-The second tower will be MUCH smaller. Thin and under 700 feet. The main will be under 900 feed.

-They will have terracotta involved at the base and run up to the top, where both will have weird pyramid tops like they belong in Philly or Charlotte

-At least 4 people throw tomatos at Related during the presentation

-An old woman faints, and a dog dies in the crowd only moments after the bad designs are released

-They start to VE the design during the presentation, small children and women begin to cry now.

-The financial markets crash

-And worst of all, I, and at least 3 other people get into a slapfight here.

Hold me ladies and gents

Investing In Chicago May 10, 2018 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notyrview (Post 8183829)
Uhh have you seen Related's portfolio?

Yes, I like many of their projects. The question still stands, as of today, what is there to be disappointed about as it relates to the Spire Site?

Steely Dan May 10, 2018 10:01 PM

^^ 400 N LSD presentation is next tuesday, not tonight.

Kumdogmillionaire May 10, 2018 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8183903)
^^ 400 N LSD presentation is next tuesday, not tonight.

Yeah, I made a quick edit since I forgot to mention I was thinking of the 78's date, since well... both are Related. Either way I stand by the prediction haha

AlpacaObsessor May 10, 2018 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire (Post 8183899)
60 minutes or less before the news might start breaking from my favorite peeps who are able to attend. Here's my humble predictions:

- Two towers, one shorter than the other, which is all but confirmed by everything we know... so that's hardly a bold claim

- The main tower will kind of look like a choad, and use much of the foundation from the Spire.

-The second tower will be MUCH smaller. Thin and under 700 feet. The main will be under 900 feed.

-They will have terracotta involved at the base and run up to the top, where both will have weird pyramid tops like they belong in Philly or Charlotte

-At least 4 people throw tomatos at Related during the presentation

-An old woman faints, and a dog dies in the crowd only moments after the bad designs are released

-They start to VE the design during the presentation, small children and women begin to cry now.

-The financial markets crash

-And worst of all, I, and at least 3 other people get into a slapfight here.

Hold me ladies and gents

Guess I'll go ahead and post my contrarian prediction:

-Related Midwest proposes two 4000' towers clad in pure 24k gold
-The building shakes as the crowd erupts into a chorus of applause
-Towers go up in record time
-It is now 2021, Oprah Winfrey is president of the United States and Chicago holds a AAA bond rating.

Edit: added some words

left of center May 10, 2018 10:09 PM

You forgot the primary building materials for both towers will be sacks of potatoes. Two towers built almost entirely of potato, as a testament to Chicago's Polish population.

Only the best from Related!

AlpacaObsessor May 10, 2018 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 8183915)
You forgot the primary building materials for both towers will be sacks of potatoes. Two towers built almost entirely of potato, as a testament to Chicago's Polish population.

Only the best from Related!

I reckon this would be a big selling point for their condos too. Hungry? Just punch a hole in the wall, dig out a potato, boil it, and you got a meal. You never have to go grocery shopping ever again! Brilliant plan if you ask me.

left of center May 10, 2018 10:22 PM

^ And the great thing is that the potato superstructure, isolated from and not exposed to oxygen, will slowly begin to ferment anaerobically! Need a drink? Punch the wall, and hold your glass as some high quality *distilled in Chicago* vodka pours out!

Kngkyle May 10, 2018 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlpacaObsessor (Post 8183928)
I reckon this would be a big selling point for their condos too. Hungry? Just punch a hole in the wall, dig out a potato, boil it, and you got a meal. You never have to go grocery shopping ever again! Brilliant plan if you ask me.

Not only that, but after awhile, the potatoes will start to replenish themselves to provide even more potatoes.

AlpacaObsessor May 10, 2018 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kngkyle (Post 8183949)
Not only that, but after awhile, the potatoes will start to replenish themselves to provide even more potatoes.

So a self growing potato tower then! 4000' feet when the tower opens, with a possibility of it eventually organically growing to reach the lower stratsophere in our lifetime. Truly ambitious

Khantilever May 10, 2018 11:10 PM

Check out Related's new promo video for the 78. I may be wrong, but I think it uses some of what may end up being in the eventual promo for the Spire site.

The first 30 seconds have a very different feel--sound, atmosphere, pace, voiceover--than the rest of the video, which is basically the same film they released months ago for the 78. The opening shot flies in over the Lake and positions the Chicago Harbor Light right where the towers will be. The rest showcases prominent buildings along the River. The last few seconds before transitioning to the old 78 video again features the Spire site with the narrator quoting Burnham (with more modern language) "our sons, daughters and grandchildren are going to do things that would stagger us".

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...510-story.html

harryc May 10, 2018 11:11 PM

Fingers Crossed

BVictor1 May 11, 2018 1:03 AM

Article in tomorrows Tribune...

BVictor1 May 11, 2018 1:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 21C CHI>LA (Post 8184109)
the tribune is full of articles everyday.
no need to tease us. we "geeks" (used with affection and respect) need some answers!

Not a tease, a heads up.

Maybe some of those geek questions will be answered by said article...

JK47 May 11, 2018 4:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 8184117)
Not a tease, a heads up.

Haven't seen anything as of yet. Perhaps this evening.

BobbyChicago May 11, 2018 5:28 PM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...510-story.html

Under a proposal developer Related Midwest is expected to unveil at a community meeting Tuesday, a 1,000-foot-tall tower and a slightly smaller, but similar 850-foot tower would be erected on the dormant 2.2-acre site at 400 N. Lake Shore Drive, according to city sources familiar with the plans but not authorized to discuss them publicly. The towers would house condos, apartments and a hotel, the sources said.

JK47 May 11, 2018 5:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 8184117)
Not a tease, a heads up.

Nevermind. It's up and it is every bit as disappointing as we feared it would be. The tallest tower is just 1000 feet. Rather this gets rejected.

BVictor1 May 11, 2018 5:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyChicago (Post 8184863)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...510-story.html

Under a proposal developer Related Midwest is expected to unveil at a community meeting Tuesday, a 1,000-foot-tall tower and a slightly smaller, but similar 850-foot tower would be erected on the dormant 2.2-acre site at 400 N. Lake Shore Drive, according to city sources familiar with the plans but not authorized to discuss them publicly. The towers would house condos, apartments and a hotel, the sources said.

Quote:

A spokeswoman for Related Midwest declined to comment on the project Friday. Renderings of the towers have not yet been made public. A city source who has reviewed the plans, however, said the towers are sheathed mostly in glass, feature multiple setbacks and taper notably toward the top.

BVictor1 May 11, 2018 5:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JK47 (Post 8184891)
Nevermind. It's up and it is every bit as disappointing as we feared it would be. The tallest tower is just 1000 feet. Rather this gets rejected.

Rejected? You've not seen it!

Kumdogmillionaire May 11, 2018 6:06 PM

Que asco

Skyguy_7 May 11, 2018 6:07 PM

"...just 1,000 feet"

C'mon, now you're just sounding spoiled! A massive, 2,000' tall tower was a pie in the sky and never practical for this site, for reasons mentioned on the previous page. I'd rather see the skyline from the lake taper upwards towards TT, Vista and Trump Tower. 1,000' is a good beginning.

nomarandlee May 11, 2018 6:22 PM

Yea, 1000ft would be great if it's a nice design. The only development that I have found as inexcusably short given its location was River Point topping out at 700ft. That site deserved an exclamation point as much if not more than LSD/river. RP should have ideally at least been +900ft. Now it just looks like a nice but much less interesting brother to 150 Riverside.

Hudson11 May 11, 2018 6:30 PM

definitely not "way taller" then. sadface. Hopefully Childs cooked up something iconic.

JK47 May 11, 2018 6:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomarandlee (Post 8184954)
Yea, 1000ft would be great if it's a nice design.

One Bennett Park is by the same developer. Similar trajectory of starting with a noted architect and talk of using interesting materials. Also note how there's already a lot of potential competition in this space with TT, OCS and others on a similar trajectory. So the same cost consciousness that called for a height cut will likely call for other compromises in the design.

JK47 May 11, 2018 6:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 8184926)
C'mon, now you're just sounding spoiled!

Given the location and the extensive foundation work that's already been done it's a waste. Instead what we get is a rehash of what Related did when they took over the Waterview. Very similar situation as this one...wasted potential.

Sky88 May 11, 2018 7:04 PM

Exclusive: Two soaring towers planned for long-languishing Chicago Spire site along Lake Shore Drive

Under a proposal developer Related Midwest is expected to unveil at a community meeting Tuesday, a 1,000-foot-tall tower and a slightly smaller but similar 850-foot tower would be erected on the dormant 2.2-acre site at 400 N. Lake Shore Drive, according to city sources familiar with the plans but not authorized to discuss them publicly. The towers would house condos, apartments and a hotel, the sources said.
[...]
The skyscrapers’ design has been led by prominent architect David Childs, a source familiar with the project confirmed.
[...]
The plans call for the 1,000-foot tower to be built on the southern edge of the site along the Chicago River, where an existing riverwalk would be extended through the site to connect with the future DuSable Park, the city sources said. The south tower is expected to include condos and a 175-room hotel.
The 850-foot tower, which is expected to include apartments, would be built on the site’s northern edge along the Ogden Slip, where another existing walkway along the water would be extended to connect to the future park. A podium with lobbies and building amenities would connect the two towers, the city sources said.
Altogether, the structures would total 1.3 million square feet, with up to 850 residential units in addition to the 175 hotel rooms, the sources confirmed.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...10-story.html"

vandelay May 11, 2018 7:05 PM

SOM and David Childs?

So another spire will be ruined.

rgolch May 11, 2018 7:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JK47 (Post 8185007)
Given the location and the extensive foundation work that's already been done it's a waste. Instead what we get is a rehash of what Related did when they took over the Waterview. Very similar situation as this one...wasted potential.

It’s a good location, to be sure. But there are other great locations for development in the city.

Honestly, I’ll reserve judgement on these projects till I see the renderings on Tuesday. But I mean.... honestly.... 1000 ft and 850 ft... that’s two really tall buildings for just about any US city, save New York.

People on this site are just bitter and resentful because they want some reconciliation for the loss of the Spire building. Related may have not put it’s best foot forward for it’s Chicago projects thus far; but they do have a good track record for getting stuff built. Let’s just wait till Tuesday before we start trashing Related.

k1052 May 11, 2018 7:12 PM

Laying down a marker for above average design executed with average or sub-average materials and detailing to save on cost.

rgolch May 11, 2018 7:17 PM

Hey mods... can we at least change the title of the thread to list 2 buildings at 1000 and 850 ft?

Zerton May 11, 2018 7:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vandelay (Post 8185033)
SOM and David Childs?

You can't really blame the architect for what happened with the 1WTC spire. The condition we refer to euphemistically as "value engineering" is the bane of all our existences.

r18tdi May 11, 2018 7:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vandelay (Post 8185033)
SOM and David Childs?

Ba dum tiss

BB 1871 May 11, 2018 7:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky88 (Post 8185030)
Exclusive: Two soaring towers planned for long-languishing Chicago Spire site along Lake Shore Drive
[...]
The plans call for the 1,000-foot tower to be built on the southern edge of the site along the Chicago River, where an existing riverwalk would be extended through the site to connect with the future DuSable Park, the city sources said. The south tower is expected to include condos and a 175-room hotel.
The 850-foot tower, which is expected to include apartments, would be built on the site’s northern edge along the Ogden Slip,
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...10-story.html"

Maybe the Tribune has it flipped but, why would the shorter tower be on the northern portion of the site where the spire foundation is? Theres no reason to situate the buildings that way, right? I feel like im taking crazy pills!

Kumdogmillionaire May 11, 2018 7:53 PM

Related creeping their way up my shitlist. Used to love them for what they could become in this city, but they are really becoming turd burglers

harryc May 11, 2018 7:55 PM

JK47 May 11, 2018 7:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgolch (Post 8185038)
It’s a good location, to be sure. But there are other great locations for development in the city.

Yeah and Related has wasted a few of those sites as well.

Quote:

Honestly, I’ll reserve judgement on these projects till I see the renderings on Tuesday...Related may have not put it’s best foot forward for it’s Chicago projects thus far

So you're reserving judgment but you're aware that they have a penchant for showing us something decent to okay and then diluting it to crap down the road? They don't have a track record for quality...at all. It's not about whether something gets built (we have a lot of that underway already) but whether something good gets built. Related, when they purchased this property, promised that it was going to be a statement piece. Weeks ago it was way taller than 875 feet and going to include terracotta. Now it's glass facade and the height is in the same ballpark as their current project in the area. So really this just seems like more of the same from Related.

Investing In Chicago May 11, 2018 8:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JK47 (Post 8185115)
Yeah and Related has wasted a few of those sites as well.

So you're reserving judgment but you're aware that they have a penchant for showing us something decent to okay and then diluting it to crap down the road? They don't have a track record for quality...at all. So odds are Related will continue to do what they've been doing for years now.

Um, what?! Check out what they have done in NYC.

rlw777 May 11, 2018 8:03 PM

So they are building the 850' tower on the north side of the site. So on the foundation built for a 2000' tower? Seems like a waste

Khantilever May 11, 2018 8:21 PM

Nice. Hopefully David Childs is going to give us the best piece in his series Variations on a Glass Box. Deeply contextual, too, with the subtle nod to the masterpiece at 500 N LSD.

trvlr70 May 11, 2018 8:26 PM

I'm so tired about hearing about this particular plot of land....which was never really ideal for a supertall. At this point, I'd like it developed and done. I think 1000' & 850' would be remarkable for the area. Let's just hope it doesn't get VE'd to sh!t.

left of center May 11, 2018 8:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 8184926)
"...just 1,000 feet"

C'mon, now you're just sounding spoiled! A massive, 2,000' tall tower was a pie in the sky and never practical for this site, for reasons mentioned on the previous page. I'd rather see the skyline from the lake taper upwards towards TT, Vista and Trump Tower. 1,000' is a good beginning.

Absolutely this.

I've always thought that having a 2,000 ft spire at the former Calatrava site would have really thrown the skyline out of whack when viewed from the lake or Navy Pier. Not that I'm against a 2,000 footer in this city, but for it to work with the massing of the skyline it would be best if it was closer to its center, somewhere in the Loop or along North Michigan. Not to mention that this site really doesn't have the best amenities for a megatall; far from transit, narrow single lane street access, not really walkable to many restaurants/grocers/convenience stores, etc.

That said, I would have preferred to see a slightly taller proposal, with each of the buildings roughly 200' taller, something around the lines of 1200' and 1000', but I'll reserve further judgement until I see the renderings.

Sky88 May 11, 2018 9:13 PM

In my opinion, Related Midwest doesn't have the money to carry out two projects like The 78 and 400 N LSD. The 78 site will cost 5 billion and other billions will cost these two towers on the Spire site. I fear that Related will has to give up one of the two projects at the end.

JK47 May 11, 2018 9:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlw777 (Post 8185120)
So they are building the 850' tower on the north side of the site. So on the foundation built for a 2000' tower? Seems like a waste

I wonder if the decision to go with two towers is what made the rest a forgone conclusion. Since the rock socketed caissons are at the north end it would stand to reason that you'd orient the tallest building there. However, placing your hotel and condo tower off Ogden slip and putting the apartment tower on the river might not be optimal in terms of value. So you flip it around and put the hotel & condo tower on the river and the apartment tower on the slip but that means your tallest tower is now limited to whatever loading those outer hardpan caissons can support (assuming they don't have to drill more).

TLDR I think the orientation of the foundation might not be optimal for a two tower hotel/condo and apartment project.