SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

gymratmanaz Feb 11, 2010 3:10 PM

New trees, benches, and other additions are being loaded into the courtyard for phase 1 at Chase Tower. The whole courtyard renovation will be completed by year's end. I recall there being 4 phases.

PHX31 Feb 11, 2010 9:17 PM

I think it has been discussed before, but why again (for what development) is there a tower crane on the west side of 16th street a bit north of Thomas?

Don B. Feb 11, 2010 9:20 PM

^ Don't you remember? It was for a new 55-story office tower. I drive past it everyday. :D

--don

HooverDam Feb 12, 2010 9:33 PM

http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/...n-phoenix.html

Quote:

Chef Nobuo Fukuda to open downtown Phoenix restaurant
Nobuo at Teeter House will open at Heritage Square this summer
by Howie Seftel - Feb. 12, 2010 01:59 PM
Republic restaurant critic
It's official: James Beard Award-winner Nobuo Fukuda is headed to downtown Phoenix. His new restaurant, Nobuo at Teeter House, will open this summer in historic Heritage Square, just across the way from another James Beard Award-winner, Chris Bianco and his Pizzeria Bianco. Fukuda has inked a 10-year lease, with an option for five additional years.

At lunch, the restaurant will be a teahouse, serving soups, salads and sandwiches, along with Asian teas. At dinner, it turns into an izakaya, a Japanese tavern serving small plates.

Fukuda also plans to install a four-seat counter where serious foodies can make reservations for the kind of omakase (multicourse tasting menu) dinner he did at Sea Saw. That Old Town Scottsdale restaurant closed almost a year ago, a victim of hard times.

The restaurant will have room for about 35 inside and another 24 on the patio.

It has been quite a week for the increasingly dynamic downtown Phoenix restaurant scene. On Wednesday, La Grande Orange founder and president Bob Lynn announced that he would open LGO Public House at CityScape.

Type

Vicelord John Feb 12, 2010 9:52 PM

effing eff yeah!

I love this shit man. Just when I was starting to get really down about my neighborhood, thinking I spent too much money to live in a place that I put too much stock into, they announce a bunch of big time restaurants. I can literally hit Heritage square with a rock if I throw it while I'm drunk and upside down, it's that close.

If you've ever noticed the moveable letter sign out front of it, and noticed it was all word jumbled to read something obnoxious, that means I did it. I changed "motoring through time" to read "motorboating through tim" two weeks ago. This is my playground, and now my playground is starting to become awesome.

PHX31 Feb 12, 2010 10:11 PM

Steve Nash commercial, with scene from the San Carlos swimming pool area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdNiX...layer_embedded

combusean Feb 13, 2010 11:54 AM

On the heels of the above, Cartel Coffee Lab has the grand opening of their second location on 1st St and Washington on Tuesday February 16 from 5:00 to 9:00 PM.

While downtown has several coffee shops, none are open lateish, local, and in the core itself. Getting all three is a welcome addition.

SLC Projects Feb 13, 2010 10:49 PM

What's up Phoenix. We miss having you guys in the Mountain West. I was just watching the video of the "Qwest Building Implosion". What's going to go in it's place?

phxbyrd Feb 13, 2010 11:05 PM

most likely nothing but others may know more. It's too bad the senior highrise can't go through as I would think that market is affected differently than traditional residential.

Don B. Feb 13, 2010 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLC Projects (Post 4698669)
What's up Phoenix. We miss having you guys in the Mountain West. I was just watching the video of the "Qwest Building Implosion". What's going to go in it's place?

There's a pile of rubble there, still present after six months.

Any ordinary homeowner would be arrested for having weeds in their yards, but somebody can knock down a building and leave a pile of rubble? Looks like Haiti there.

--don

Vicelord John Feb 14, 2010 12:09 AM

I tried to play on that rubble... didn't make it very far before security was after me.

phxbyrd Feb 14, 2010 12:50 AM

they can afford security but not landscaping?:hell:

plinko Feb 14, 2010 1:03 AM

Security is a corporate liability (thus necessary).

Landscaping is not.

Vicelord John Feb 14, 2010 2:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phxbyrd (Post 4698810)
they can afford security but not landscaping?:hell:

nobody is going to sue them for getting cut on grass... but you'd better be sure if I impailed my arm on rebar debris, they would get sued.

NIXPHX77 Feb 14, 2010 4:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 4696840)
Steve Nash commercial, with scene from the San Carlos swimming pool area.

I think it is actually the Wyndham's pool area (and entry valet court in another scene.) Funny, tho. Love Nash.

Vicelord John Feb 14, 2010 6:25 AM

The entire film was madE at wyndham. Those are wyndham halls, rooms, pool, front drive, and their Icon lounge.

Don B. Feb 14, 2010 9:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4698933)
nobody is going to sue them for getting cut on grass... but you'd better be sure if I impailed my arm on rebar debris, they would get sued.

Not if you are an adult trespasser. In Arizona, adult trespassers cannot sue for injuries sustained on another property because they are not a business or guest invitee. They are owed no duty of protection, so unlike many other states, the trespasser is HML in Arizona. HML = hosed as a matter of law.

The only exception to this is if the trespasser can show that the property owner "set a trap" for them. For example, you can't rig up a 12-gauge shotgun to fire when someone opens the front door. Then and only then can an adult trespasser sue for injuries.

I write adult trespassers because children are held to a different standard. If the child was a trespasser, they generally are also HML, with the exception of the "attractive nuisance doctrine." Basically, that means if you have something that is a hazard but would attract the attention of a child and entice them to play on it, then the property owner may have some liability. The classic example of an attractive nuisance is an unfenced trampoline.

Assumption of the risk can also function as a complete bar to recovery. For children, this is tailored based on what a reasonable child of similar age could have appreciated in terms of the hazard and acted accordingly. Generally, the older the child, the more likely assumption of the risk will be used as a defense. For an adult, assumption of the risk in Arizona will likely be fatal to most personal injury claims. It would be difficult to survive a motion for summary judgment if you are the plaintiff and assumption of the risk applies. Even if you somehow make it to a jury, the defense will get a jury instruction that reads as follows:

"Jurors, if you reasonably believe that the plaintiff properly appreciated the risk and voluntarily chose to incur that risk, and then sustained injury as a result of that risk, you must find for the defendant in this case." Given Arizona juries generally don't like plaintiffs (two-thirds of personal injury cases tried in Arizona result in defense verdicts), they are often more than happy to read that and, in essence, say to the plaintiff "You get zero. Have a nice day."

Given your facts, that you would be a trespasser and an adult climbing over crumbled stone and rebar, you would have virtually no chance in Arizona of recovering a dime for your injuries. Even if you could somehow get around the trespasser issue, the fact as an adult you could see the debris and voluntarily chose to go climbing through it like an idiot, the jury would slam you for assumption of the risk. Basically, Arizona has a pretty practical personal injury system. You can't collect money in this state for being a moron, generally speaking.

--don

phxbyrd Feb 14, 2010 3:42 PM

so after you put up a good, high, sturdy fence and post signs to keep out what are your requirements to have live security on site 24/7?

Vicelord John Feb 14, 2010 5:44 PM

Hm. I guess arizona has one thing over other states.

mwadswor Feb 14, 2010 5:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4698933)

Assuming they ignored Don's very thorough legal opinion (thanks Don), you'd still think grass or gravel would be cheaper than continually paying for security... especially since it'll eventually still have to get cleaned up.