SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   LOS ANGELES | Transportation News & Discussion (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171029)

Sodha Nov 1, 2010 7:02 PM

I wish the author of the article would talk to somebody from the city of LA who lives above the subway line to note the noise vibration is an unsubstantiated problem.

By the way, this whole thing about Beverly Hills and the subway ties into the Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear this last weekend in DC. Political pundits (in this case, Beverly Hills) is spreading fear over the unknown and giving key words to the masses to use (i.e. "our only high school", "methane gas explosion", "sinkhole"). Whereas the rest of the good is not being promoted by Metro heavily to combat this fear mongoring. For example, with the case of Osama bin Laden being Muslim, does that mean all muslims are bad? Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was awesome.... I'm not instilling politics here; but this whole "don't dig under our high school" sounds a lot like Teabaggers.

Vote tomorrow!!!!!!!!!

202_Cyclist Nov 6, 2010 3:50 PM

GOP-controlled House might hinder Villaraigosa's transit funding request (LA Times)

As outlined in the GO(B)P's Pledge to America's Corporations, much better to have massive tax cuts for the wealthiest two percent and more wasteful defense spending than investment in transit that will improve mobility, improve air quality, reduce our consumption of oil, encourage hundreds of millions (billions) of dollars of development around stations, and put people back to work building a much-needed rail system connecting people in the nation's largest county.

B]GOP-controlled House might hinder Villaraigosa's transit funding request[/B]

Republicans are vowing to cut government spending, but the L.A. mayor and others argue that his 30/10 plan — seeking federal loans to expedite key transit projects — is a wise use of federal money.

By Richard Simon and Dan Weikel, Los Angeles Times
November 6, 2010

"After Tuesday's election, Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa could have a tougher time securing federal aid for his plan to accelerate a dozen local transit projects, including the much-heralded Westside subway extension. That's because the Republican majority sweeping into the House has pledged to rein in government spending.

Although Villaraigosa has enjoyed the support of many fellow Democrats in Washington for his so-called 30/10 plan, a number of California's congressional Republicans have been wary, at best, of sending Los Angeles more federal funding when the federal budget is covered in red ink.

"With this year's deficit at $1.3 trillion, and next year's projected to be a trillion dollars or more, it's going to be extremely difficult to convince Congress to increase spending for anything," said Jim Specht, deputy chief of staff to Rep. Jerry Lewis (R-Redlands), who could return as chairman of the House Appropriations Committee..."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,5970508.story

Quixote Nov 13, 2010 11:27 PM

Stumbled upon this while browsing Flickr. This map is from Metro, so it appears that the Fairfax option is gone.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4152/...1bb79a75_b.jpg
From Flickr, by jwalker64

DJasmin Nov 14, 2010 1:34 AM

I think they've also considered that one of those green line extensions would be part of the Harbor Subdivision Corridor's local LRT service. It would have been nice to see the West Hollywood subway as heavy rail and also connected to the future Vermont Ave extension...

dktshb Nov 14, 2010 2:16 AM

Okay I like that map. I didn't realize the San Vicente alternative was still going to connect to Hollywood Highland, which is a much better alterantive than having the extension go straight up La Brea. Could get a couple good stops on Santa Monica Blvd. for West Hollywood.

LosAngelesBeauty Nov 14, 2010 8:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dktshb (Post 5054196)
Okay I like that map. I didn't realize the San Vicente alternative was still going to connect to Hollywood Highland, which is a much better alterantive than having the extension go straight up La Brea. Could get a couple good stops on Santa Monica Blvd. for West Hollywood.

Yes, there would be a stop apparently at Rage (San Vicente/SM) so expect that to be most colorful stop in the entire system if you know what I mean.

dktshb Nov 14, 2010 5:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LosAngelesBeauty (Post 5054429)
Yes, there would be a stop apparently at Rage (San Vicente/SM) so expect that to be most colorful stop in the entire system if you know what I mean.

;)

Definitely, and for me personally it would be nice to hop on the West Hollywood extension and go deeper west into the city. Now I’d say our walking perimeter is no farther west than Crescent Heights, although we have walked all the way to the Parade and festival on more than one occasion from Hollywood. It would really open up what I consider my neighborhood (places I can get to on foot and with the use of the Red Line Subway).

Sodha Nov 14, 2010 10:45 PM

The routing hasn't been decided. Fairfax is still an option: http://www.metro.net/board/Items/201...8MRPDItem6.pdf

However, I will personally add that since West Hollywood is not getting a Red Line extension, I think the Board will most likely go with La Cienega boulevard when the DEIR is completed to appease West Hollywood. Good thing is we'll get connections to the Beverly Center and Cedars Sinai as well; though lose out on the Grove and Farmers Market. Melrose will still be connected with either La Cienega or Fairfax options.

dktshb Nov 15, 2010 2:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sodha (Post 5054933)
The routing hasn't been decided. Fairfax is still an option: http://www.metro.net/board/Items/201...8MRPDItem6.pdf

However, I will personally add that since West Hollywood is not getting a Red Line extension, I think the Board will most likely go with La Cienega boulevard when the DEIR is completed to appease West Hollywood. Good thing is we'll get connections to the Beverly Center and Cedars Sinai as well; though lose out on the Grove and Farmers Market. Melrose will still be connected with either La Cienega or Fairfax options.

If it cuts down santa monica after going north on la cienega I am sure there would be a stop on Fairfax/Santa Monica and that would be close enough for me to go to the Grove and Farmers market.

LAofAnaheim Nov 15, 2010 6:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dktshb (Post 5055140)
If it cuts down santa monica after going north on la cienega I am sure there would be a stop on Fairfax/Santa Monica and that would be close enough for me to go to the Grove and Farmers market.

I'm pretty sure you can count on stops at Wilshire, Beverly Center/Melrose, Santa Monica/La Cienega, Santa Monica/Fairfax, and Santa Monica/La Brea. Those would be great destinations.

JDRCRASH Nov 15, 2010 9:15 AM

Instead of extending the Crenshaw corridor on Fairfax, why not just extend the Grove streetcar to the nearest future Metro station (Fairfax/Santa Monica or Beverly Center)?

M II A II R II K Nov 15, 2010 4:11 PM

Is Los Angeles Ready for 30/10?

http://la.streetsblog.org/2010/11/12...eady-for-3010/

Quote:

As a city, is Los Angeles ready to create communities that best integrate with the new transit system promised by Measure R and the 30/10 proposal?

According to a group of community activists calling themselves “LA Neighbors United” (LANU), the answer is “no.” The coalition of neighborhood activists are incensed by changes to the city’s planning code that they claim will make it easier for projects to gain approval even if they do not meet the requirements of the local, city-approved, neighborhood plan. As a result, LANU has written to the Federal Transit Administration urging them to halt funding of L.A.’s transit expansion projects until the city has the planning codes in place to support all of the planned transit expansion projects.

The changes to the code were passed on consent at Wednesday’s meeting of the City Council. You can read the ordinance and committee reports here

In short, their point is that if we rush transit expansion before the proper planning codes and zones are in place; we’ll end up with sprawl development patterns around transit stations which would undermine transit ridership and the promise of a new Los Angeles. And if the city is actually undermining those plans, then it shouldn’t be rewarded with an accelerated transit expansion plan. Or, put less succinctly, from their letter to the FTA:

The proposed law makes no effort to target growth, including population and housing development, around transit corridors generally or Measure R funded transportation projects specifically. Rather, the new system would perpetuate the City’s historically Wild West approach to anything-goes-anywhere planning, regardless of proximity to transit, and in clear violation of the California Environmental Quality Act.

Such an approach, which effectively decouples land use planning from transportation planning in the City of Los Angeles, is reckless, conflicting and incoherent. It jeopardizes the ability of Measure R projects to perform as anticipated. It also undermines Southern California’s ability to meet the greenhouse gas emissions targets to be set under a new state law.

Sodha Nov 15, 2010 7:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDRCRASH (Post 5055406)
Instead of extending the Crenshaw corridor on Fairfax, why not just extend the Grove streetcar to the nearest future Metro station (Fairfax/Santa Monica or Beverly Center)?

That's a very cool idea. The trolley can extend down 3rd street from the Grove to a stop at Cedars Sinai/Melrose.

DJM19 Nov 15, 2010 8:21 PM

Im very skeptical of this orgamization that wants to halt 30/10. On the one hand they worry new development wont conform to their neighborhood plan, and yet on the other they think there isn't enough density proposed transit stations? And their solution is to stop funding transit lines?

It sounds like an anti-transit, anti-growth organization.

JDRCRASH Nov 15, 2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sodha (Post 5055780)
That's a very cool idea. The trolley can extend down 3rd street from the Grove to a stop at Cedars Sinai/Melrose.

Or it could use the alley just north 3rd street to get to Cedars Sinai so it wouldn't affect automobile traffic as much as it would if it went on 3rd street.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJM19 (Post 5055904)
It sounds like an anti-transit, anti-growth organization.

That's because it is.

LosAngelesBeauty Nov 16, 2010 3:41 AM

Streetcar construction is a faction of the cost to build compared to either heavy rail or light rail and will become imperative if we want to connect neighborhoods in West Central LA.

I have a feeling that people will become naturally more receptive to streetcars when DTLA becomes ever more salient in the area and people finally start to understand what walking means when it comes to a lifestyle and not a recreational activity.

Sodha Nov 16, 2010 5:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDRCRASH (Post 5056094)
Or it could use the alley just north 3rd street to get to Cedars Sinai so it wouldn't affect automobile traffic as much as it would if it went on 3rd street.

I would prefer we stop pandering to the single passenger automobile....I'd rather see the median of 3rd street taken over by a streetcar. People can hop on - hop off as they shop. Behind an alley would be ugly. I can't think of any streetcars that avoid street-life and go behind alleys. If so, you may as well build a light rail train. The streetcar would give more life to 3rd street.

Quixote Nov 16, 2010 5:38 AM

Because Metro Rail is more of an interurban service (more spread out lines with greater stop spacing), it is therefore less accessible to the populace it serves than traditional rail systems. Streetcars are the solution to "filling in the gaps" because they attract riders that would otherwise avoid taking the bus at all costs. Also, streetcars are arguably the most effective way to revitalize/transform neighborhoods and create "ambiance". They clearly provide the biggest bang for your buck.

Quixote Nov 18, 2010 2:03 AM

Yay, the name of the Expo Line will be just that! The color Aqua will be used to denote it on the map, but the line will be called "Expo". I am very, very happy. :yes:

Don't Call It the Aqua Line: It's the Aqua-Colored Expo Line
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2010/1...d_the_name.php

Busy Bee Nov 18, 2010 2:17 AM

Speaking of the Aqua line, do any of you remember that spoof sign put up by Transit advocates/activists in the early 2000's announcing the coming of the Aqua subway line complete with map? It was featured in the alt-culture magazine Adbusters. Anyone remember that?