SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

Obadno Oct 2, 2018 4:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8333043)
Some info on Taylor Place's 10th Anniversary and ASU's plans to add more student housing Downtown:

http://www.statepress.com/article/20...ar-anniversary

350-450 beds should be a decent height as long as they keep the footprint small.

CrestedSaguaro Oct 2, 2018 5:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8333108)
350-450 beds should be a decent height as long as they keep the footprint small.

Not sure what exact locations they have in mind. But I was actually thinking about this when I walked by Taylor Place a couple of days ago. The space adjacent to the North of the current Taylor Place may be able to fit another thin building. It looks large enough. If they did with that many beds, it could be about 15 floors or so.

Obadno Oct 2, 2018 5:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8333119)
Not sure what exact locations they have in mind. But I was actually thinking about this when I walked by Taylor Place a couple of days ago. The space adjacent to the North of the current Taylor Place may be able to fit another thin building. It looks large enough. If they did with that many beds, it could be about 15 floors or so.

Well think each Taylor place building is home too 640 beds burin dormitory format.

This is apartment style upper class men housing, meaning much more sqft per bed, apartment style amenities aka gym and pool, parking etc.

Could end up being surprisingly large

muertecaza Oct 2, 2018 11:48 PM

Demo permits issued for the structures on the north side of the 300 block of Portland St (here). Don't know if I remember knowing what if any plans there are for that area. Anyone know?

Phxguy Oct 3, 2018 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muertecaza (Post 8333660)
Demo permits issued for the structures on the north side of the 300 block of Portland St (here). Don't know if I remember knowing what if any plans there are for that area. Anyone know?

Does the demolition permit include the home east of this shabby apartment complex or is it just for the apartments?

Obadno Oct 3, 2018 5:31 PM

Quote:

So is that whole half of the block getting demod? The two houses my be worth saving.

muertecaza Oct 3, 2018 5:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 8333704)
Does the demolition permit include the home east of this shabby apartment complex or is it just for the apartments?

The permits are for 320, 326 and 332 E. Portland. So the apartments and the houses.

CrestedSaguaro Oct 3, 2018 5:58 PM

Quote:

Could it be for the Broadstone Portland project that someone mentioned a few pages back? Removing these houses could make a pretty large development space for more apartments.

muertecaza Oct 3, 2018 6:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8334403)
Could it be for the Broadstone Portland project that someone mentioned a few pages back? Removing these houses could make a pretty large development space for more apartments.

Good call, very well could be. No address given on that plan review, but it would make sense. I would be less rankled by them demoing the houses if it was for the Broadstone project--they aren't the most amazing things but Alliance at least has a good track record of building stuff.

CrestedSaguaro Oct 3, 2018 6:10 PM

Just a quick recap, muertecaza is referring to this plan review for ease of not having to search for it: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=888

Edit: Welp, NM. Went back to check on that plan review and it is now voided. Back to the guessing board.

Phxguy Oct 3, 2018 7:08 PM

So I heard through KJZZ that Rose and Crown is leaving Heritage Square and looking for a new location downtown. At least, they’re staying downtown or whatever vaguely determinesd boundaries of downtown people come up with.

Obadno Oct 3, 2018 8:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 8334513)
So I heard through KJZZ that Rose and Crown is leaving Heritage Square and looking for a new location downtown. At least, they’re staying downtown or whatever vaguely determinesd boundaries of downtown people come up with.

I cant see Rose & crown working outside of that old house. But they probably want to get closer to the main bar drags near roosevelt and on the otherside of the convention center.

Phxguy Oct 3, 2018 8:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8334612)
I cant see Rose & crown working outside of that old house. But they probably want to get closer to the main bar drags near roosevelt and on the otherside of the convention center.

I agree, after relishing the 19th century atmosphere of the original location, I can’t conceive of Rose and Crown being in a modern, concrete interior. An English pub is much more than just drinks, it’s the warm wooden atmosphere. Although, I will admit, my patronage is very limited due to its location but I will visit more often if it relocates closer to the cluster of bars around Roosevelt.

exit2lef Oct 3, 2018 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 8334634)
I agree, after relishing the 19th century atmosphere of the original location, I can’t conceive of Rose and Crown being in a modern, concrete interior. An English pub is much more than just drinks, it’s the warm wooden atmosphere. Although, I will admit, my patronage is very limited due to its location but I will visit more often if it relocates closer to the cluster of bars around Roosevelt.

There could be plenty of opportunities for a warm, wooden atmosphere -- perhaps in one of the houses being renovated on Fifth Street by Desert Viking. If R&C leaves Heritage Square, I'll miss it -- mainly because my children love to go there for lunch when we visit the Arizona Science Center. I realize, however, that kids' meals of chicken tenders with no bar tab don't make for a successful pub.

AnthonyPHX Oct 4, 2018 6:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8328030)
Tower crane evaluation submitted for 200 W Monroe:

Where do you get these at? The permits search?

azsunsurfer Oct 4, 2018 2:11 PM

Someone on another thread mentioned that one of the Optima towers was voted down? I thought they reached consensus with the neighboring development?? Or did they simply reject the taller of the two proposals??

nickw252 Oct 4, 2018 3:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnthonyPHX (Post 8335189)
Where do you get these at? The permits search?

These would be with the FAA not the city of Phoenix.

AnthonyPHX Oct 4, 2018 6:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsunsurfer (Post 8335400)
Someone on another thread mentioned that one of the Optima towers was voted down? I thought they reached consensus with the neighboring development?? Or did they simply reject the taller of the two proposals??

The developer came to the meeting with the 120' proposal and it was voted down 5-3.

I believe there was a 196' proposal that had been previously eliminated as well, it was shown for comparison during the presentation. It sounds like most of the developers in the area were supporting the 120' proposal except the neighboring Optima. They brought about 30 people in with red 'Stop Irresponsible Development in Kierland' t-shirts who ostensibly live in the neighborhood to the South.

https://i.imgur.com/N0tOlCB.jpg

Obadno Oct 4, 2018 6:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnthonyPHX (Post 8335752)
The developer came to the meeting with the 120' proposal and it was voted down 5-3.

I believe there was a previous 196' proposal that has been previously eliminated as well, it was shown for comparison during the presentation. It sounds like most of the developers in the area were supporting the 120' proposal except the neighboring Optima. They brought about 30 people in with red 'Stop Irresponsible Development in Kierland' t-shirts who ostensibly live in the neighborhood to the South.
https://i.imgur.com/N0tOlCB.jpg

This is the kierland ooptima?

When are we getting a downtown optima!??!?

CrestedSaguaro Oct 4, 2018 7:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8335801)
This is the kierland ooptima?

When are we getting a downtown optima!??!?

I'm a little lost on this. The current tallest Kierland Optima residence is already right around 120'. So, it was the current residents of Kierland Optima that showed up not wanting another Optima building at the same height or is it another development with the same height adjacent to Optima?

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. They just don't want another building blocking their views I bet. They don't care that the building they currently live in already blocks neighboring views.