SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

pbenjamin Mar 13, 2018 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsunsurfer (Post 8118144)
Construction has started on the apartments at Osborn and 7th ave. Also I saw some of the exciting tenants coming to the rehabbed shopping center next door....including Sprouts, Starbucks, Orangetheory, a nail salon, Jersey Mike's Subs and Jamba Juice- still space for two more tenants.

This has been available for a while now:

http://www.phoenixcommercialadvisors...thosbofull.pdf

combusean Mar 13, 2018 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8118657)
I know im not much of a conservationist on our ugly 75 year old industrial buildings but I don't think losing https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4460...2!8i6656?hl=en would be too horrible for downtown.

Ehh... I don't get the hate for that building. There's enough asphalt there to build something somewhere else, and it's unlikely the County would abandon it anyways.

Phxguy Mar 15, 2018 4:12 PM

https://www.phxrisingfc.com/news_art...rer_id=2717359

Simple and looking sleek, glad it's maximizing on shade without going full arena style. Will be an impressive landmark seen from the 202!

fawd Mar 15, 2018 6:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 8120932)
https://www.phxrisingfc.com/news_art...rer_id=2717359

Simple and looking sleek, glad it's maximizing on shade without going full arena style. Will be an impressive landmark seen from the 202!

Hope I'm wrong - but odds of Rising wining a MLS bid don't look terribly positive...

Regarding the renderings... I love the red accent lighting. Always wondered why more teams don't utilize that. It's a sharp look!

stutteringpunk Mar 15, 2018 6:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawd (Post 8121133)
Hope I'm wrong - but odds of Rising wining a MLS bid don't look terribly positive...

Regarding the renderings... I love the red accent lighting. Always wondered why more teams don't utilize that. It's a sharp look!

I don't know where you're drawing your conclusion from. I'm not saying anything is guaranteed, but Phoenix is pretty much the biggest market without a team and recently added a billionaire "whale" to the ownership group. It's a city that already fits the league demographic and could fill in a huge hole in the league's map.

Obadno Mar 15, 2018 6:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawd (Post 8121133)

Doesn't really matter if they are MLS or not they are being privately funded so who cares if they are armature.

fawd Mar 15, 2018 6:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8121179)
armature.

amateur

Classical in Phoenix Mar 15, 2018 6:56 PM

Any idea when the announcement of the teams to be added will be?

ASUSunDevil Mar 15, 2018 7:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stutteringpunk (Post 8121158)
I don't know where you're drawing your conclusion from. I'm not saying anything is guaranteed, but Phoenix is pretty much the biggest market without a team and recently added a billionaire "whale" to the ownership group. It's a city that already fits the league demographic and could fill in a huge hole in the league's map.

Yep, my $ says we get a franchise. Perfect site + privately funded + huge Hispanic community + that stadium looks absolutely incredible.

fawd Mar 15, 2018 7:28 PM

There are five spots for MLS Expansion after LAFC.

Nashville and Miami took the first two.

Cincinnati, Detroit, and Miami are the finalists for number 26th team.

Which leaves two spots, 27 and 28.

Now we have to assume, since they are already finalists for 26.. that two of the above would also be finalists for 27 and 28. IN ADDITION to those two: Sacramento, St Louis, Tampa Bay, San Antonio, Raleigh, Charlette, Indianapolis, San Diego.... and Phoenix are all fighting for the last two spots.

biggus diggus Mar 15, 2018 7:33 PM

The odds are not in Phoenix's favor just from a mathematical standpoint.

stutteringpunk Mar 15, 2018 7:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawd (Post 8121265)
There are five spots for MLS Expansion after LAFC.

Nashville and Miami took the first two.

Cincinnati, Detroit, and Miami are the finalists for number 26th team.

Which leaves two spots, 27 and 28.

Now we have to assume, since they are already finalists for 26.. that two of the above would also be finalists for 27 and 28. IN ADDITION to those two: Sacramento, St Louis, Tampa Bay, San Antonio, Raleigh, Charlette, Indianapolis, San Diego.... and Phoenix are all fighting for the last two spots.

I don't know how closely you've followed the expansion process, but a lot of those bids have had problems surface within the past year. Also, Miami was essentially confirmed as the quasi-24th team when David Beckham played for LA years ago. It was always going to get one of the 24-28 spots regardless and it has no bearing on the expansion race.

To name a few:
-Sacramento has basically come out and said MLS wants them to find a billionaire and is already super close to San Jose. They've been getting strung along by the league for years
-St. Louis ran into trouble with ownership, financing and public opinion given The Rams recent departure. It would take a lot to resurrect that bid.
-San Antonio is likely out given that MLS REALLY wants to move Columbus to Austin, and SA has come out and said as much.
-San Diego could put up a fight, but the city likely won't vote on the proposal until later this year.
-Charlotte couldn't come up with a public-private partnership in time last year, and while they can make a comeback, again bigger markets/ownership groups like Phoenix and Detroit seem to be what the league is looking for.

Outside of getting the land 100%, Phoenix has pretty much all of its ducks in a row relative to the other bids. I'm in no way suggesting it's our spot for the taking, but it is certainly not mathematically out of the question. The are numerous reasons why a lot of those bids have fallen apart.

Classical in Phoenix Mar 15, 2018 11:25 PM

Plus, we have really cool, new Carvana jerseys.

biggus diggus Mar 16, 2018 3:04 AM

Classical, what is your role with the organization? Can you tell us anything?

Classical in Phoenix Mar 16, 2018 3:21 AM

No role. Just saw they unveiled new Carvana jerseys last week. With the state of Arizona sports, good news would be nice.

Phxguy Mar 16, 2018 1:21 PM

Went to an APS meeting last night for the new substation they're building downtown (3rd and last of the workshops where the public gets to suggest where to put one between 7th St-Central/ Moreland-Fillmore). Was a come and go as you please kind of event, seemed most people I talked to were locals in the area or owners of properties on lots proposed for the substation and wanted it either out of sight or integrated into a parking garage. The substation would require at least an acre, so basically another Garfield/2nd eye sore. But, fear not, there were 3 options which were best for the community and would have minimal aesthetic impact: Moreland/5th st just below the freeway, one integrated in the parking garage behind the 411 N Central ASU building, or one integrated into the incoming parking garage for the biomedical campus at NEC 4th st and Pierce. There were options for half lots like SW corner of McKinley and 2nd or NW 1st and Fillmore or giant monoliths on lots like Pierce and 7th and/or McKinley and 7th.

Which brings me to the next bit, what wasn't an option because of incoming developments. I was impressed by the amount of land poised for activity like both NW/NE corners of 3rd St and Portland. Really brought into perspective, if you calculate all land currently being developed and soon to be developed (including Biomedical campus and U of A) with properties already containing historic buildings, there isn't much left between 7th to Central and Moreland to Fillmore. Land is so precious now it shouldn't even be an option to waste what remains on single-use dead zones.

Sorry for the enormous block of text.

CrestedSaguaro Mar 16, 2018 3:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 8122061)
Went to an APS meeting last night for the new substation they're building downtown (3rd and last of the workshops where the public gets to suggest where to put one between 7th St-Central/ Moreland-Fillmore). Was a come and go as you please kind of event, seemed most people I talked to were locals in the area or owners of properties on lots proposed for the substation and wanted it either out of sight or integrated into a parking garage. The substation would require at least an acre, so basically another Garfield/2nd eye sore. But, fear not, there were 3 options which were best for the community and would have minimal aesthetic impact: Moreland/5th st just below the freeway, one integrated in the parking garage behind the 411 N Central ASU building, or one integrated into the incoming parking garage for the biomedical campus at NEC 4th st and Pierce. There were options for half lots like SW corner of McKinley and 2nd or NW 1st and Fillmore or giant monoliths on lots like Pierce and 7th and/or McKinley and 7th.

Which brings me to the next bit, what wasn't an option because of incoming developments. I was impressed by the amount of land poised for activity like both NW/NE corners of 3rd St and Portland. Really brought into perspective, if you calculate all land currently being developed and soon to be developed (including Biomedical campus and U of A) with properties already containing historic buildings, there isn't much left between 7th to Central and Moreland to Fillmore. Land is so precious now it shouldn't even be an option to waste what remains on single-use dead zones.

Sorry for the enormous block of text.

There is also an APS substation planned for Midtown bounded by E Indianola, N 2nd and E Clarendon. It's a fairly large lot and currently has re-zoning signs posted for increasing the block setback. Did the meeting have anything on this?

Phxguy Mar 16, 2018 4:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8122290)
There is also an APS substation planned for Midtown bounded by E Indianola, N 2nd and E Clarendon. It's a fairly large lot and currently has re-zoning signs posted for increasing the block setback. Did the meeting have anything on this?

Only in brief writing was the Midtown substation mentioned, just dates and a general location. They had a list of substations to be completed in the near future with 2 coming just south of downtown near/in the Warehouse district and another Midtown location north of Virginia and east of Central.

pbenjamin Mar 16, 2018 5:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 8122358)
Only in brief writing was the Midtown substation mentioned, just dates and a general location. They had a list of substations to be completed in the near future with 2 coming just south of downtown near/in the Warehouse district and another Midtown location north of Virginia and east of Central.

APS had purchased a parcel between Virginia and Cambridge on the west side of 1st Ave for a substation. Willo residents convinced them to go elsewhere. APS ia negotiating to sell the land to a developer planning residential.

Phxguy Mar 16, 2018 5:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbenjamin (Post 8122419)
APS had purchased a parcel between Virginia and Cambridge on the west side of 1st Ave for a substation. Willo residents convinced them to go elsewhere. APS ia negotiating to sell the land to a developer planning residential.

Wish I would've taken a photo of the list, hard to remember locations beyond a few. Glad that APS seems to be going a friendlier route by the community's concern instead of just eminent domain and plopping one wherever suits them.