SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

CrestedSaguaro Oct 12, 2017 6:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somethingfast (Post 7949696)
ha, i remember seeing that pic in the AZ Republic back in like '95 i wanna say. i hated that the 2nd "tower" was shorter than the BofA "tower" and i hate the idea now that prime land like that would settle for anything less than 400'. but we are in phoenix...

Yea, it's a shame they are only proposing a 250' tower. Gosh...someone has to be close to throwing out a 400'+ tower proposal soon! :sly:

nickw252 Oct 12, 2017 8:50 PM

To get an idea of how the 250 ft. tower would compare to the BOA tower I was looking at the Diagrams page and noticed that the CityScape buildings don't have diagrams. Does anyone know how to make the diagrams?

https://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?

Obadno Oct 12, 2017 9:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickw252 (Post 7950510)
To get an idea of how the 250 ft. tower would compare to the BOA tower I was looking at the Diagrams page and noticed that the CityScape buildings don't have diagrams. Does anyone know how to make the diagrams?

250 Feet is 76.2 Meters, its the exact height as the Summit across from Chase Field, about 1 floor shorter than the APS building.

CrestedSaguaro Oct 12, 2017 9:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickw252 (Post 7950510)

One of these days, I might come out of retirement and start making diagrams again (haven't made one since about 2005) and Phoenix needs a lot of updated diagrams.

I used PaintShop Pro...but you can use Photoshop. For the best quality, make a 3 to 1 diagram (3 pixels=1 square meter). When your done, resize it by 1/3 to get a 1 to 1 diagram (1 pixel=1 square meter). Or you can make a diagram quicker by creating a 1 to 1 ratio, but I think they look a little less realistic.

There's a tutorial here: http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/help/create/

fawd Oct 12, 2017 11:02 PM

Not that my opinion matters...

But I would rather have two 200ft towers than one 400ft.

fawd Oct 12, 2017 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 7950565)
One of these days, I might come out of retirement and start making diagrams again[/URL]

Do it! :cheers:

somethingfast Oct 13, 2017 2:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawd (Post 7950656)
Not that my opinion matters...

But I would rather have two 200ft towers than one 400ft.

ummm...just......whhyyyyyy?????? :shrug:

but, hey!, you're in the right city!!!! :cheers:

how would you feel about four 100-footers??? even better!??? :tup:

biggus diggus Oct 13, 2017 3:01 AM

I'm with ya, fawd.

fawd Oct 13, 2017 4:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somethingfast (Post 7950836)

Nah! That is too far. But i would take four 150 foot over a single 400.

Height is fine and dandy, but I MUCH prefer density.

TakeFive Oct 13, 2017 5:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil (Post 7948336)

Had an awesome meal at The Orchard last year and recently enjoyed the "Cheers" atmosphere at Windsor...

...and I just want to know who's going to break ground first on the next tower?

Obadno Oct 13, 2017 3:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TakeFive (Post 7950912)
Had an awesome meal at The Orchard last year and recently enjoyed the "Cheers" atmosphere at Windsor...

...and I just want to know who's going to break ground first on the next tower?

Technically 3 already have.:tup:

Obadno Oct 13, 2017 3:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somethingfast (Post 7950836)
ummm...just......whhyyyyyy?????? :shrug:

but, hey!, you're in the right city!!!! :cheers:

Are you kidding? I would rather have a downtown of well designed and occupied 5-10 story buildings than a tower any day of the week.

Ya know, like certain continents:

https://en.parisinfo.com/var/otcp/si...0x380-C-DR.jpg

Tall buildings does not make a city downtown great.

Buckeye Native 001 Oct 13, 2017 3:56 PM

Seriously, infill and density is key, not a bunch of skyscrapers that could potentially have horrible street presence (a la Valley National Bank/Chase Tower)

CrestedSaguaro Oct 13, 2017 5:04 PM

Now I think y'all are just being silly. Yes, density is important...and we are getting that with a gazillion 5 story block-sized developments and then some. There is not enough space on the Colliers pad to build 2, 3 or 4 150 footers in place of single 400 footer, So, in this instance, I would rather take the 400' tower over a 250' one.

Also, I would like to point out that no one is proposing towers with humongous setbacks like Chase. Most of the current proposed towers have nearly 0 setbacks and are very urban in form. The only exception I can think of was Central Station and thank God that design is dead.

Obadno Oct 13, 2017 5:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 7951362)
Now I think y'all are just being silly. Yes, density is important...and we are getting that with a gazillion 5 story block-sized developments and then some. There is not enough space on the Colliers pad to build 2, 3 or 4 150 footers in place of single 400 footer, So, in this instance, I would rather take the 400' tower over a 250' one.

Also, I would like to point out that no one is proposing towers with humongous setbacks like Chase. Most of the current proposed towers have nearly 0 setbacks and are very urban in form. The only exception I can think of was Central Station and thank God that design is dead.

Technically central station didn't have a setback, just a hideous monster box podium

CrestedSaguaro Oct 13, 2017 6:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 7951367)
Technically central station didn't have a setback, just a hideous monster box podium

Weird how Central Station just fell off the map. It was never even confirmed the project was dead. The last we heard was that they were trying to get a grocery story added to the project, which obviously went to Block 23...and then silence.

So, I guess my next question is, does anyone think they will propose another development down the road for Central Station? :shrug:

ASUSunDevil Oct 13, 2017 6:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 7951535)
Weird how Central Station just fell off the map. It was never even confirmed the project was dead. The last we heard was that they were trying to get a grocery story added to the project, which obviously went to Block 23...and then silence.

So, I guess my next question is, does anyone think they will propose another development down the road for Central Station? :shrug:

This was part of the issue and then the head developer (Smith) passed away:

"City officials have previously talked about finding new uses for the materials from the Obama stimulus project. The city, FTA and Smithfield will have to find a way for the development to be built with the station continuing to operate along the Metro light rail line and as downtown’s main bus stop." - PBJ

Bummer because they do great work (Domus in Arcadia).

In other news, 25 stories on Collier sounds fantastic! Hopefully it's modern.

Also, hoping new exterior paint is included in the Sheraton renovations :slob:

TakeFive Oct 13, 2017 7:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 7951362)

Exactly... and as momentum continues to build (and were you suggesting?) you want to see 6-8 story apartments over a podium and soon 8/10/12 stories especially in higher value areas.

As for higher risers developers will do what they do but you'd expect the desire to arise for more new and distinctive towers too.

Obadno Oct 13, 2017 8:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TakeFive (Post 7951635)
Exactly... and as momentum continues to build (and were you suggesting?) you want to see 6-8 story apartments over a podium and soon 8/10/12 stories especially in higher value areas.

As for higher risers developers will do what they do but you'd expect the desire to arise for more new and distinctive towers too.

Im really hoping that the block 23 office portion fills quickly, I would like to see more office development downtown.

Obviously its always cheaper to not be downtown, so you need to find companies that are wiling to pay (like people moving downtown) for the city environment.

nickw252 Oct 13, 2017 8:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 7951674)
Im really hoping that the block 23 office portion fills quickly, I would like to see more office development downtown.

Obviously its always cheaper to not be downtown, so you need to find companies that are wiling to pay (like people moving downtown) for the city environment.

If it fills up quickly showing that the downtown Class A Office market is strong it will make it more likely to get a signature tower/new tallest.