SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: Transit Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101657)

Via Chicago Oct 4, 2012 3:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc5680 (Post 5854328)
Wilson Station Renderings...

More on Cappleman's website as well as Uptown Update

looks like Belmont and Fullerton, basically. not bad!

wrab Oct 4, 2012 5:18 PM

They're restoring the terra cotta on Gerber's old Wilson station, too. It had gotten pretty grotty.

Via Chicago Oct 4, 2012 6:36 PM

I just hope they install more benches. The CTA has these massive multi-million dollar platforms, and 2 places to sit for the entire length. Someone explain this to me.

sammyg Oct 4, 2012 6:52 PM

They're afraid of the homeless, sadly.

Via Chicago Oct 4, 2012 6:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammyg (Post 5855514)
They're afraid of the homeless, sadly.

At a bare minimum, they could do something like they implemented at Rockwell and have single seats. Either way, it seems inexcusable for a supposedly "world class" system to skimp on the details like the CTA seems to often do. At least this plan has a full canopy...for now.

And while Im in rant mode, is there any indication when the LCDs that were installed at great expense on many Brown Line stops, and then abruptly removed for seemingly no reason (despite the fact they were simply glorified clocks), are coming back? I figured they were somehow re-programing them to be Train Tracker compatible, but it seems like the entire rollout of that program has been scattershot.

And one final unrelated thought (which has probably been discussed), but why make Wilson a purple line stop? I though the entire purpose of the Purple was as an express route. Seems like adding more frequent stops defeats the entire purpose.

Standpoor Oct 4, 2012 7:53 PM

That platform looks massive. You could pop a tent on there and not bother anyone. Any idea on how they are going to change the tracks here.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-MaL46yTAAx...5e515cfc_b.jpg

I went and looked at the rest of the renderings and they seemed to answer my question. Looks like track 4 and 1 won't move and giant new deck will be built. Tracks 1 and 2 will be moved to the middle and new giant platforms constructed. I like the entrance being on the South side of Wilson.

Nexis4Jersey Oct 4, 2012 10:54 PM

Now thats a Transit Center...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8319/8...0cd9a933_b.jpg
Wilson Station Reconstruction Rendering - Looking northwest at Wilson and Broadway by cta web, on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8037/8...8a1a7e61_b.jpg
Wilson Station Reconstruction Rendering - Looking north along Broadway by cta web, on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8173/8...2b1f47b0_b.jpg
Wilson Station Reconstruction Rendering - Exterior view of main entrance, looking south by cta web, on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8313/8...ffdddb75_b.jpg
Wilson Station Reconstruction Rendering - Looking west on Wilson Ave from Broadway by cta web, on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8456/8...665324c3_b.jpg
Wilson Station Reconstruction Rendering - Platform view by cta web, on Flickr

the urban politician Oct 4, 2012 10:59 PM

Damn, now for this $203 million investment we should be encouraging more density. Upzone!

ardecila Oct 4, 2012 11:41 PM

Awesome. I like how the structure becomes a concrete slab over the Gerber Building so the there's no steelwork above to distract from the ornament. I am curious how they're going to build that crossing, though. Should be interesting.

Also, I'm curious what the travel time will be on Purple to the Loop. Purple's not really an express service when it stops at every station south of Addison. If the Purple travel time from Wilson is substantially less than Red, CTA may get a lot of cross-platform transfers here, especially if the Purple Line moves to the center tracks south of Addison to bypass Wellington, Diversey, and Armitage and then moves back out to the outer tracks to Sedgwick. Seems like a good way to redistribute capacity, maintaining a quick trip from Evanston on Purple while uncrowding the Red Line at the same time. With another transfer at Loyola, it'll be perfect.

Baronvonellis Oct 5, 2012 2:32 AM

Now the Gerber Building looks pretty short for a major intersection with the station set back from it. It would awesome if they could put like 6-12 floors of apartments on top of it like they did in old town on Wells at the former Cadillac dealership.

untitledreality Oct 5, 2012 2:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 5855888)
Damn, now for this $203 million investment we should be encouraging more density. Upzone!

Right on. With so many nearby sites available (dollar store, city sports, two surface lots on wilson, McDs and the entire triangle parcel between Broadway/Wilson/Kenmore) they should really press for a dramatic upzoning, preferably one akin to 1601 Ashland.

denizen467 Oct 5, 2012 4:12 AM

Waaait, so this $203m includes stuff beyond the station -- reconstruction of the Broadway viaduct? That's a substantially longer work area than just the station; it could be like 1/3 of a mile, if they go from Leland to around Sunnyside. The crossing at Broadway is at a sort of scissor angle compared to a right angle arterial crossing, which presumably makes it doubly expensive for the longer span. I actually get a kick out of the el-support obstacle course driving down Broadway, but this construction project is welcome as a comprehensive rebuild of the area infrastructure.

ardecila Oct 5, 2012 4:52 AM

The Broadway crossing is generally regarded as unsafe and unattractive (sexy grit aside). It would be rebuilt under the Red Modernization program anyway, but I think it needs to be rebuilt now to allow for a new pattern of approach tracks to the Wilson platforms.

There will be a southern entrance that lines up with Sunnyside; potentially they could build a passage to Montrose, so the 78 could stay on Montrose instead of diverting to Wilson. Such a passage could have safety concerns, I suppose, unless it was inside the fare-paid zone with good sight lines.

emathias Oct 5, 2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Standpoor (Post 5855608)
That platform looks massive. You could pop a tent on there and not bother anyone. Any idea on how they are going to change the tracks here.

I've already seen guys pop a tent on the platform there ...

*snicker*

Centropolis Oct 5, 2012 3:44 PM

tickets should be given out for over-attractiveness in chicago.

Rizzo Oct 6, 2012 8:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Via Chicago (Post 5855494)
I just hope they install more benches. The CTA has these massive multi-million dollar platforms, and 2 places to sit for the entire length. Someone explain this to me.

Garbage cans next to go. By eliminating garbage cans people hold into it and shockingly don't throw it on the tracks

Mr Downtown Oct 7, 2012 1:41 AM

$203 million dollars for Wilson station remodeling.

The entire Roosevelt University Tower was only $118 million.

untitledreality Oct 7, 2012 5:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 5858134)
$203 million dollars for Wilson station remodeling.

The entire Roosevelt University Tower was only $118 million.

Demolition (elevated structure and neighboring buildings), Full transfer station, Multiple entrances, New viaduct from North of Broadway to South of the station, New track/ballast, New power supply, New signaling, Restoration and build out of the Gerber building... all while keeping both lines running through the area with minimal delay.

...and its a mass transit project in the United States... funded by a government with a flawed bidding system.

Sounds about right.

denizen467 Oct 7, 2012 7:04 AM

^ Yeah, Mr Downtown, that was why I pointed out that the reporting was sloppy in referring to it as a $203m station re-do. The reporting should cite it as a station rebuild plus what is essentially a 1/3-mile reconstruction of the line; this helps justify the public outlay of such a huge amount of funds. Though at that point we are still permitted to have our eyes pop out at comparing it to the multiuse Roosevelt University tower.

jpIllInoIs Oct 9, 2012 2:54 PM

Argyle Station

I hope someone post some photos of the new station..

Argyle Station press release

The Argyle station was temporarily closed for six weeks to allow crews to perform repairs to the station house, adjacent retail spaces and surrounding infrastructure. Specific enhancements to the station include:

expanded footprint of stationhouse for improved layout/circulation
additional exit-only turnstile and luggage gate entry/exit
refurbishment of the station’s signature Chinese pagoda platform canopy
new concrete platform and platform foundations
new interior finishes (i.e. high-gloss brick walls, flooring, ceiling), lighting and signage
exterior masonry repairs, tuck pointing and sidewalk repairs
new windows, doors, exterior lighting and bike racks
repairs to concrete; painting and sealing/coating
upgraded lighting below viaduct (on street level)
new waterproofing and drainage system
new trackbed, ties and rails at station area

Work requiring the temporary closure of the remaining three stations – Berwyn, Lawrence and Jarvis – is expected to be complete by the end of 2012, with all remaining station and track work to be completed by early-2013.

Also, in an effort to reduce future expenses and avoid additional impacts to rail service, the Chicago Transit Board recently approved an amendment – with a maximum value of $15 million – to extend the scope of work to address additional slow zones, viaduct repairs and other station structure repairs. As a result of this amendment, customers will experience fewer service disruptions and a reduction of 2-3 minutes in travel times following the removal of approximately 7,000 feet of slow zones.