SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

Pedestrian Mar 9, 2020 5:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emathias (Post 8855604)
I would be very surprised if any health-related alcohol-only (or, rather, alcohol and water-only) sold for disinfectant purposes was lower than 60%, since 60-90% is considered the most effective concentration range for disinfectant purposes. Exceptions would usually have other disinfecting agents in the ingredients.

So be surprised unless you are calling me a liar. 50% isopropyl alcohol was the only pure alcohol they had and I bought it and it's sitting in my bathroom.

It is pure 50% isopropyl alcohol (no additives) and since coronaviruses are more susceptible than other viruses because of its protein envelope, I think it probably will work though not ideally. I have read studies show even standard hand soap will destroy the protein envelope and kill this virus.

A few days later I scored some 70% isopropyl alcohol "wipes" and I bought them too. Shelves of all these products around here are pretty bare.

jtown,man Mar 9, 2020 7:40 PM

The economic response to this is WAAAAY worse than the actual virus(I know this doesn't matter or probably isn't right to someone who knows someone who died from it though).

These idiots are forcing me to eat more Chinese and buy more stocks. Eh.

hauntedheadnc Mar 9, 2020 7:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 8855926)
The economic response to this is WAAAAY worse than the actual virus(I know this doesn't matter or probably isn't right to someone who knows someone who died from it though).

These idiots are forcing me to eat more Chinese and buy more stocks. Eh.

Oh, icky poo! Stay away! Surely by now you've got the wasting disease!! :surrender:

jtown,man Mar 9, 2020 7:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc (Post 8855933)
Oh, icky poo! Stay away! Surely by now you've got the wasting disease!! :surrender:

My stomach hurts. But I love me some Chinese food and I like Chinatown, so I will continue to eat lol

hauntedheadnc Mar 9, 2020 7:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 8855939)
My stomach hurts. But I love me some Chinese food and I like Chinatown, so I will continue to eat lol

With the news of how bad things are in Italy slowly worming it's way into the American consciousness, I wonder how long it will be before people start avoiding Italian restaurants. I guarantee you there's someone somewhere in this nation stupid enough to pitch a screaming fit in a grocery store about them still stocking Chef Boyardee*, and how dare they endanger the health of the public like that!

(*Note: This would be due to the product laying claim to some vague connection to Italian cuisine, and not because the product looks like, smells like, and has the consistency of the contents of a newborn's diaper.)

JManc Mar 9, 2020 8:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc (Post 8855953)
With the news of how bad things are in Italy slowly worming it's way into the American consciousness, I wonder how long it will be before people start avoiding Italian restaurants. I guarantee you there's someone somewhere in this nation stupid enough to pitch a screaming fit in a grocery store about them still stocking Chef Boyardee*, and how dare they endanger the health of the public like that!

(*Note: This would be due to the product laying claim to some vague connection to Italian cuisine, and not because the product looks like, smells like, and has the consistency of the contents of a newborn's diaper.)

I'm Italian and can't fathom denying myself Italian food.

Pedestrian Mar 9, 2020 8:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8855971)

If you eat at a northern Italian restaurant in New York where the cooks might actually be from Milan or Turin, you might think about it. Otherwise not.

I do think about eating Mexican food where I am because the cook might actually live in Mexico (I am predicting eventually Mexico is going to have a HUGE problem even though it's getting no press yet). And in San Francisco, the cook at your Chinese place could have flown in from Wuhan just after New Years. It's a consideration and I think not one to be made light of.

It's not the same as the Panda Express in Peoria or the Domino Pizza in Kansas City.

iheartthed Mar 9, 2020 8:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATXboom (Post 8853579)
SXSW has been cancelled which is crazy. Likely due to international nature of event and liability issues.

Since I attended SXSW last year I'm on a couple of mailing lists, and apparently some of the houses are still planning to host events. I guess it won't be a total loss. I wouldn't risk going this year, though. It seems like an easy way to end up under a 14-day quarantine.

hauntedheadnc Mar 9, 2020 8:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8855971)

Only because you are callous and have no regard for your health or that of others. Ask any of the leading social media experts: Coronavirus is just as easily transmitted by garlic as it is by five-spice powder. That's why people are avoiding Chinatowns and Chinese restaurants owned by Cambodians who have no trace of an accent or, as you'll sometimes find around here, do have an accent, but one that sounds like Bubba T. Cornpone hungover.

JManc Mar 9, 2020 8:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8855979)
If you eat at a northern Italian restaurant in New York where the cooks might actually be from Milan or Turin, you might think about it. Otherwise not.

I do think about eating Mexican food where I am because the cook might actually live in Mexico (I am predicting eventually Mexico is going to have a HUGE problem even though it's getting no press yet). And in San Francisco, the cook at your Chinese place could have flown in from Wuhan just after New Years. It's a consideration and I think not one to be made light of.

It's not the same as the Panda Express in Peoria or the Domino Pizza in Kansas City.

Being southern Italian, I typically don't go out of my way for northern Italian which is comparatively rare here anyway. Although, the food is still probably sourced locally and unless the chef/ cooks were in Italy within the past month or so, probably not too worried.

As for Mexico, I'd be more worried about what's floating around San Francisco. There's 70 or so cases already in that area.

jtown,man Mar 9, 2020 9:12 PM

Quote:

hahaha great

I will do my duty in that situation also.

dimondpark Mar 9, 2020 9:34 PM

From earlier today: A traveler from Australia on board the Grand Princess records the moment they passed underneath the GGB and into the Bay.
Video Link

Kenneth Mar 9, 2020 9:41 PM

A big change in Detroit was that the mYor of Detroit pleaded with the water commissioner to restore water to tens of thousands of residents shutoff a few yrs ago because of the threat of the Coronavirus.
They concluded that its unfair to stress to residents to wash their hands and practice good sanitation without water going into the homes.

Emprise du Lion Mar 9, 2020 10:22 PM

St. Louis appears to be business as usual, although there's one known case here in suburban Ladue. A 20 year old college student returning from Italy is the area's first case, although she flew into O'Hare and stayed in Chicago at a friend's for a bit before taking the Amtrak back down to St. Louis.

What's really making the area pissed is that the girl's family, who were ordered to self-quarantine, defied the fucking quarantine multiple times. The mother went about her business and ran errands in public, the high school age daughter was sent to school, and the father and daughter attended a reception/dance at the Ritz Carlton.

Sam Page, the St. Louis County Executive, had to give a press conference threatening to get a court order to quarantine the whole family if they keep leaving the house. Although he has reported that the girl with the actual virus has at least been following direction, so there's that.

Edit: Bayer just closed their campus in Creve Coeur "until further notice" because one of their employees has potentially tested positive. So maybe not quite as business as usual as I previously said.

Pedestrian Mar 10, 2020 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8856015)
Being southern Italian, I typically don't go out of my way for northern Italian which is comparatively rare here anyway. Although, the food is still probably sourced locally and unless the chef/ cooks were in Italy within the past month or so, probably not too worried.

As for Mexico, I'd be more worried about what's floating around San Francisco. There's 70 or so cases already in that area.

People need to understand: This is going to be everywhere and it might be worst in some places that don't yet have it because they aren't as vigilant. That's why I'm fingering Mexico (and the fact that the Public Health system there is as inept as they are at so much else).

KevinFromTexas Mar 10, 2020 1:32 AM

UT Austin is moving to have all their classes be online only starting after spring break.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/he...5-2b7156be8c16

Pedestrian Mar 10, 2020 2:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas (Post 8856321)
UT Austin is moving to have all their classes be online only starting after spring break.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/he...5-2b7156be8c16

Because they want to be sure students have a chance to go on Spring Break and either take it with them and spread it all over of catch it wherever they go and bring it back to campus.

Handro Mar 10, 2020 2:58 AM

Quote:

My sister and her family live in the Italian “red zone” (a city called Brescia in Lombardy) and they say the coverage they’ve seen from US outlets paints a way different picture than what they’re experiencing. People are being extra vigilant and schools are shut down, but it isn’t pandemonium in the streets or anything like that. My brother in law is still going to work every day, they are just making sure to wipe everything down as often as possible.

KevinFromTexas Mar 10, 2020 3:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8856342)
Because they want to be sure students have a chance to go on Spring Break and either take it with them and spread it all over of catch it wherever they go and bring it back to campus.

They're gonna go anyway, that's the reason for the class ban after spring break. Since when does youth listen to authority?

KevinFromTexas Mar 10, 2020 3:25 AM

SXSW is laying off a third of it's employees. Man, and they just built a fancy new office tower last year.

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/sxsw...-of-2020-event
Quote:

"Due to the City of Austin's unprecedented and unexpected cancellation of the SXSW 2020 events in March, SXSW has been rigorously reviewing our operations, and we are in the unimaginable position of reducing our workforce. Today we said goodbye to approximately one-third of our full-time staff."