SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

montréaliste Mar 19, 2020 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrnyc (Post 8866604)
fixed that for you mon amie.

Thank you!

Likewise;

Fixed that for you mon ami.

mrnyc Mar 19, 2020 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montréaliste (Post 8866647)
Thank you!

Likewise;

Fixed that for you mon ami.

oh lo lo bien sur oui that is very important now fiston.

Buckeye Native 001 Mar 19, 2020 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8866572)
uh-oh, my wife just got off the phone with her sister.

she just got back late last week from a work trip to italy.

she and her husband now both have fevers and a cough.......... they're trying to get tested as we speak.

they're both in their early 40s, quite wealthy (ie. rock solid health insurance), active, and healthy, so they should be ok long term, but this is the first case of someone i personally know.

:(

mrnyc Mar 19, 2020 12:29 AM

so this cocktail joint is offering fancy dranks with tots (because you have to serve food) outside the bar to go and its a big hit. money goes to laid off staff they say.

Northern Light Mar 19, 2020 12:51 AM

Quote:

she and her husband now both have fevers and a cough.......... they're trying to get tested as we speak.

they're both in their early 40s, quite wealthy (ie. rock solid health insurance), active, and healthy, so they should be ok long term, but this is the first case of someone i personally know.

I hope and trust your family will be fine; best wishes to them and to you!

mrnyc Mar 19, 2020 12:53 AM

what a shock right? but the wsj has uncovered the incompetent crony trumpies at the cdc were telling the states dont worry we have adequate testing:

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/...481998848?s=20

SIGSEGV Mar 19, 2020 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8866385)
so what are people's thoughts on carry-out from restaurants?

my wife mentioned possibly ordering dinner tonight from the corner bar and grill at the end of our block (they're open for carry-out/delivery only).

on the one hand, i want to help and support them.

on the other hand, i'm scared.

I'd say go for it. Delivery might be slightly better than takeout in terms of contact with people (especially if they just leave it without you guys actually being face to face. Also remember that GrubHub is a Chicago company so you should prefer them to UberEats / DoorDash / Caviar / PostMates if you have a choice :-p.

SIGSEGV Mar 19, 2020 12:58 AM

Quote:

Best of luck to them. I wonder when the first forumer will get it...

photoLith Mar 19, 2020 1:28 AM

Quote:

One of my friends nephews got diagnosed with it today, they got back from a trip to Austria; they live in Eureka, CA. Although technically he could have caught it here as well. He’s only 7 so he’ll be fine. But it’s crazy that this is effecting people we actually know now.

chris08876 Mar 19, 2020 1:53 AM

I've seen some folks wearing masks the wrong way in my travels or at some clients that I've seen.

For the collective SSP nation:

https://www.straitstimes.com/sites/d...s-for-haze.jpg

chris08876 Mar 19, 2020 2:16 AM

Park near my town desolated. Not as busy when folks normally are out. Pic by me.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...4bd4314d_o.jpg
Round Valley (NJ) - 1 by Christopher Estevez, on Flickr

chris08876 Mar 19, 2020 2:28 AM

I took this pic the other day.

Was trying to go for a theme. The weak and fragile shrubs in the foreground, the city in despair in the back, the lone tree branch, no leaves... no growth... no green or moment of birth (leaves). Possibly the grim look of the shrubs is foreboding the gloom that is to manifest in the city of light.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...116104e6_b.jpg
Midtown through the Bushes - 1 by Christopher Estevez, on Flickr

SIGSEGV Mar 19, 2020 3:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8866727)

Was trying to go for a theme. The weak and fragile shrubs in the foreground, the city in despair in the back, the lone tree branch, no leaves... no growth... no green or moment of birth (leaves). Possibly the grim look of the shrubs is foreboding the gloom that is to manifest in the city of light.

I should walk down to Northerly Island one of these days and take a similar picture of Chicago :).

BG918 Mar 19, 2020 3:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8863709)
Thats not really possible. There are not enough men including all civil servants, police, and military to enforce such a thing nationwide.

The best thing to do is keep encouraging local and voluntary quarantines and isolation.

Much more effective and less tyrannical

Also what you are suggesting is largely illegal in the US. Just because its "an emergency" does not give the feds unlimited power.

Still think this is all just an overreaction? The U.S. should’ve been completed locked down 2 weeks ago and we could be recovering in April. This piecemeal approach will not only prolong this pandemic until the summer (at the earliest) but also cost thousands of American lives. If you think things are crazy now just wait a couple weeks when the hospitals are overrun and people’s family members are dying, then the real panic will happen and things will get really scary fast.

pip Mar 19, 2020 4:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 8866763)
I should walk down to Northerly Island one of these days and take a similar picture of Chicago :).

I got my bike fixed for really what turned out to be just minor repairs last Thursday in anticipation of not taking the CTA for a while to commute to work. I think shortly I'll be biking for fun. That's one of my destinations Northerly Island - never been

Capsicum Mar 19, 2020 4:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8866727)

Invoking some lines from a poem from the start of the '20s, a century ago.

"April is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.
"

pip Mar 19, 2020 4:08 AM

I think what surprises me most is that only a week ago today, Wednesday, this virus was in the back of my mind only and was popping in as a concern more frequently but quickly disappeared. I freely took the train to work, the redone Old Post Office btw for whoever is from Chicago, joked with coworkers, went out to lunch, and all seemed normal and crowded, now look at a week later. Still hard to comprehend how fast life has changed. Last week at this time all was great.

Pedestrian Mar 19, 2020 4:09 AM

For San Franciscans this is a certain sign of the Apocalypse:

Quote:

‘SFMTA will not ticket for street sweeping,’ says mayor
Yair Haklai

Update: Mayor London Breed decided to halt ticketing during the shelter-in-place order, making the announcement this afternoon.

She said, “[SFMTA] will not ticket for street sweeping through the end of the month. Tickets issued today will be waived. However, it is crucial that we still clean our streets to prevent trash buildup and local flooding,” so do please still move your cars even if there’s no penalty.

Earlier in the day, Supervisor Matt Haney complained via Twitter that people in his district were still being ticketed despite the circumstances . . . .

Formerly: While the shelter-in-place order, which will remain in effect until April 7, will upend life in San Francisco in the immediate future, one thing remains true: You must move your car during regular street sweeping or risk getting ticketed.

https://sf.curbed.com/2020/3/17/2118...20says%20mayor

chris08876 Mar 19, 2020 5:48 AM

^^^^

I wonder if the ticket SS of NYC will do the same, because in NYC, you will get a $125 ticket, blocking the hydrant comes to mind EVEN if your 3 ft away... anywhere and at any time. Like if you think parking your car in Queens, in a neighborhood with single family homes is not an issue and that the ticket SS will not be out... oh... they are out. They come out of the wood work.

One time I parked in an area where your not allowed to park from I believe 8am to 1 pm, it was close to 1 pm, just to use the bathroom at a local McDonalds, and they came in a flash. They literally have an army of ticket givers in this city. A lot of the fines are $65, and some of them are ridiculous. You will actually get a ticket in this city for parking just so you can wash your car or make repairs. Not making this up. There's an encyclopedia of codes on the Department of Finance website. If you want a fun read, check some of the codes out.

Its a revenue game with the NYC Department of Finance, and their damn orange enveloped tickets.

But for some, its the cost of doing business. UPS/Fed Ex incur 1000's of tickets. But with a decent traffic attorney, a lot of them can be dismissed. More of a hassle for 1 ticket, but get a traffic attorney if you have more than 5.

When I use to be in a company vehicle at my last job, I just tossed them. Fuck it. They'll send a letter in like 2 months time, but fun fact, they don't go after all of them. After a while, there's a good chance it'll remain and you won't have to pay it. Just get a attorney and most will be dismissed if you show that your parking was work related.

Now any violations on the GWB or anything with Port Authority, they will make a stink about it, along with their absurd administrative fee's.

hauntedheadnc Mar 19, 2020 1:31 PM

Down in South Carolina, in Greenville Prisma Health has converted one of their facilities into a coronavirus treatment hospital, while in Columbia the city has instituted a curfew between 11PM and 6AM.

Up here, a rehab center in the suburbs has been chosen to be converted into a coronavirus treatment hospital if it gets to that point. 92 cases in North Carolina as of yesterday.