SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

the urban politician May 4, 2021 5:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9269318)

Yep, bring the snowflakes back to the office :cheers::tup:

suburbanite May 4, 2021 6:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9269318)
The largest American bank recently told it workers that it expects all U.S.-based employees back in offices on a rotational basis by early July, subject to current public health rules limiting office capacity to 50%.

https://www.fidelity.com/news/articl...2CL1HQ-OUSBS_1

Funny, I just put together an investor pitch and used a quote from their COO from a couple months ago.

“Going back to the office with 100% of the people 100% of the time, I think there is zero chance of that,” said Daniel Pinto, co-president and chief operating officer of JP Morgan & Chase Co., in a February interview with CNBC.

https://theticker.org/3585/business/...that.%E2%80%9D

I think we're going to see a lot of back office folks working from home more, or on flexible schedules of 3 days in the office 2 days out kind of thing. No doubt that people looking to accelerate their careers as fast as possible are going to be in the office. Decisions are still going to be made in the boardroom and face time is crucial for building relationships. Still, I've seen multiple institutional tenants who had renewals in the past year give back 10-15% of their office space. We're not going to be flicking a switch and going back to 2019 as soon as everyone is vaccinated.

the urban politician May 4, 2021 6:27 PM

^ I see that happening as well.

Why do I have a funny feeling that we will see a gender divide over this? I see more women, particularly moms with kids, working from home (and hence putting off their career advancement) while we will see more men plowing into the office.

twister244 May 4, 2021 8:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suburbanite (Post 9269416)
Funny, I just put together an investor pitch and used a quote from their COO from a couple months ago.

“Going back to the office with 100% of the people 100% of the time, I think there is zero chance of that,” said Daniel Pinto, co-president and chief operating officer of JP Morgan & Chase Co., in a February interview with CNBC.

https://theticker.org/3585/business/...that.%E2%80%9D

I think we're going to see a lot of back office folks working from home more, or on flexible schedules of 3 days in the office 2 days out kind of thing. No doubt that people looking to accelerate their careers as fast as possible are going to be in the office. Decisions are still going to be made in the boardroom and face time is crucial for building relationships. Still, I've seen multiple institutional tenants who had renewals in the past year give back 10-15% of their office space. We're not going to be flicking a switch and going back to 2019 as soon as everyone is vaccinated.

I agree with some of this, but there definitely large permanent changes that have been made. Maybe for *some* people, they need that face time, but for many many of us, we simply don't need it. Especially for those of us who work with teams across different regions already. This is an ongoing tug-of-war where some larger companies think they are just going to drag everyone back to the office ASAP. What they don't understand is you opened the flood gates, and it's impossible to herd cats back in now. And for those who push hard enough, there will be another company somewhere that will hire them and let them continue to work remotely.

I think anyone who thinks we are magically going back to 2019 office commuting patterns anytime soon is vastly underestimating the permanent lasting changes this pandemic has had.....

Pedestrian May 4, 2021 9:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9269430)
^ I see that happening as well.

Why do I have a funny feeling that we will see a gender divide over this? I see more women, particularly moms with kids, working from home (and hence putting off their career advancement) while we will see more men plowing into the office.

It seems pretty clear to me: The folks looking to climb the corporate ladder are going to be in the office and the fewer competitors they see there, the happier they will be. The seat warmers will spend as much time as they can at home. And yeah, the folks answering your customer service call for minimum wage may be on their own couch but niether they nor the company really see that as a career.

My guess is people will gradually drift back into the office more and more as they figure out who’s getting promoted and who’s getting more responsibility and pats on the back from the boss. They may never be required to spend much time there but will figure out it’s career enhancing. And the era of the Zoom meeting may pass as well. Jamie Dimon also said he’s looking forward to cancelling all his.

Quote:

After more than a year of working virtually during the pandemic, executives in banking and technology are pushing back on the idea that workers should be able to do their jobs entirely from home in the coming months. Though some said they expect more flexible work arrangements to endure going forward, they say there are clear signs of burnout in an era of nonstop video calls.

Eric Yuan, the CEO of Zoom, told a virtual audience of The Wall Street Journal’s CEO Council Summit Tuesday that he had personally experienced Zoom fatigue. On one day last year, he said he had 19 Zoom meetings in a row.

“I’m so tired of that,” Mr. Yuan said, adding that he no longer books back-to-back Zoom calls. “I do have meeting fatigue.”

Like many companies, Zoom is planning an eventual return to its offices, Mr. Yuan said. Zoom’s employees will most likely be asked to come into an office two days a week, and work from home the rest of the time, he said . . . .
https://www.wsj.com/articles/even-th...ue-11620151459

the urban politician May 4, 2021 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twister244 (Post 9269600)
I agree with some of this, but there definitely large permanent changes that have been made. Maybe for *some* people, they need that face time, but for many many of us, we simply don't need it. Especially for those of us who work with teams across different regions already. This is an ongoing tug-of-war where some larger companies think they are just going to drag everyone back to the office ASAP. What they don't understand is you opened the flood gates, and it's impossible to herd cats back in now. And for those who push hard enough, there will be another company somewhere that will hire them and let them continue to work remotely.

I think anyone who thinks we are magically going back to 2019 office commuting patterns anytime soon is vastly underestimating the permanent lasting changes this pandemic has had.....

:haha:

Good luck. I think some of you are really overvaluing your “talent” and are in for a serious reality check. You can dispense with your employer to find a job that fits your needs to plant your butt at home but that doesn’t mean they can’t do the same.

And the global Zoom-based workforce is........HUGE

twister244 May 4, 2021 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9269710)

Good luck. I think some of you are really overvaluing your “talent” and are in for a serious reality check. You can dispense with your employer to find a job that fits your needs to plant your butt at home but that doesn’t mean they can’t do the same.

You don't even know what I do for a living, or what my specific talents are.

With that said, companies allowing remote work doesn't just cut on office expenses, but it also opens the potential talent pool to people who they might not otherwise be able to tap into. My company is SAAS-based, but has a huge R&D component to in with the sciences, which is where talent there can be niche and harder to find.

Our company is definitely more on the "liberal" side of this issue. We are <200 employees and Boston-based, but have a large office in Tel Avi, and a smaller on in Boulder. Since the beginning of the pandemic, we have hired people all over the US, and all over the World (Tokyo, Ukraine, India, Tel Aviv). One of our scientists is working remotely on a beach in Costa Rica with his family. We have people now from CA to FL and in-between, with no indication that anyone is going to be forced into a central office anytime soon.

That's my experience, but I suspect many other companies are showing some similar patterns over the past year.

craigs May 4, 2021 11:00 PM

Quote:

And I think you are so personally invested in real estate that suffers when workers are not forced to physically commute into CBD offices that your advocacy for forcing others to in-person work is just you pushing what will be most profitable for yourself.

Ditto for many of the CEOs who either oversaw the construction or long-term leasing of pricey CBD real estate.

Meanwhile, the kind of worker who will insist on refraining from daily, grinding commutes will be precisely those with the talent to make such a demand.

jtown,man May 4, 2021 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 9269330)

AMEN!

This last weekend has been the most normal I've experienced here since this all started.

twister244 May 5, 2021 1:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 9269330)

Also meant to comment on this - This is great to hear!

I think Lorrie is doing it right here. Put a date out for people to look forward to, give them that push to go get the vaccine. This makes me so f'ing excited I chose to come to Chicago for the Summer now. Ugh.... I can't wait.

the urban politician May 5, 2021 1:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twister244 (Post 9269914)
Also meant to comment on this - This is great to hear!

I think Lorrie is doing it right here. Put a date out for people to look forward to, give them that push to go get the vaccine. This makes me so f'ing excited I chose to come to Chicago for the Summer now. Ugh.... I can't wait.

Agreed. We need an end to this. Putting forth a date has a positive psychological impact

Steely Dan May 5, 2021 1:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twister244 (Post 9269914)
I think Lorrie is doing it right here.

Because you're about to become a temporary local, just an FYI...

Her first name is spelled "Lori".

;)

Pedestrian May 5, 2021 2:50 AM

Quote:

My guess is it's going to be a drift. We will start off with people being required to show up in the office maybe 2 days a week, largely for meetings and group planning sessions. But you will start to see certain people there more and more and others will get the "feeling" it pays to be where things are being decided and the boss is available and will start checking in more often. No one may ever tell them they have to. And yeah, people with really special talents may be allowed to be totally "cloud" employees. But the recent engineering and computer science grads who pre-COVID flocked to tech centers for their first overpaid jobs? I think they better actually meet the boss in person and let him/her see a lot of them or they may become just cannon fodder for the less important tasks.

pip May 5, 2021 3:21 AM

It has been nice not wearing a mask outside. Today though I was going from store to store and I got lazy taking off my mask only to put it back on a few seconds later. But I did take it off for virtue signaling, to have people look at me and think how cool I am and also to send an anti Biden message. Haha!

SIGSEGV May 5, 2021 3:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 9269923)
Because you're about to become a temporary local, just an FYI...

Her first name is spelled "Lori".

;)

she does keep trucking though, so maybe she should be Lorry?

Pedestrian May 5, 2021 5:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 9270022)
she does keep trucking though, so maybe she should be Lorry?

The question that occurs to me is whether the Chicago black and other “communities of color” pay any attention to her and will decide to get vaccinated.

pip May 5, 2021 5:42 AM

a monster of a situation, no matter how small a part, you helped create. A quick change of heart is not redemption.

10023 May 5, 2021 7:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWAK (Post 9269190)
So are you saying that you fear the impact of the lockdowns? If that's the case, then what is so bad about somebody fearing the virus? It's acting on the same thing, and both sides are doing it. Consider that every statement you have said about covid, can be molded into a comment about the impact of the lockdowns...
"the number of lockdowns doesn't matter"
"everybody has been impacted by the lockdowns so it's not a big deal"
"in any given year there are millions of lockdowns"

This post makes no sense.

10023 May 5, 2021 7:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edale (Post 9268709)
Ok so not being able to sit shoulder to shoulder at a bar = lockdown? Damn dude you are something else :koko:

No, it’s about being able to meet and talk to strangers in public, rather than sitting in your own socially distanced bubble with the person(s) you came with and already knew. That’s the purpose of a bar, pub, etc.

This is an Internet forum I suppose. Maybe you’re all just introverts who don’t actually enjoy social interaction or meeting new people and so none of this is that bad for you?

JManc May 5, 2021 7:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9270090)
No, it’s about being able to meet and talk to strangers in public, rather than sitting in your own socially distanced bubble with the person(s) you came with and already knew. That’s the purpose of a bar, pub, etc.

This is an Internet forum I suppose. Maybe you’re all just introverts who don’t actually enjoy social interaction or meeting new people and so none of this is that has for you?

It's not just that but the longer this drags on, the more it's making otherwise socially adept people introverts.