SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

10023 Sep 20, 2020 9:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9048028)
I’m sick of people wearing masks incorrectly.

Having it covering your mouth but not your nose is NOT THE CORRECT WAY to do it here, folks. Might as well just not wear it at all

Covering the mouth but not the nose is less effective, but still better than nothing, and much more comfortable when it’s hot. If people want to pull it down when they’re away from others, and up over their nose when they are close to other people, you should be happy they’re at least doing that. It’s not like most people walk around sneezing, and if you do you cover your nose like normal people did pre-Covid. You don’t sneeze into the mask and walk around with snot on your face all day.

I was in Italy for 7 weeks and people were pretty good about masks indoors (of course it’s Italy in the summer, so why would you be indoors except at home?). But even waiters would universally pull their mask down to speak because you can’t understand a damn word through a mask.

iheartthed Sep 20, 2020 9:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9048046)
Covering the mouth but not the nose is less effective, but still better than nothing, and much more comfortable when it’s hot. If people want to pull it down when they’re away from others, and up over their nose when they are close to other people, you should be happy they’re at least doing that. It’s not like most people walk around sneezing, and if you do you cover your nose like normal people did pre-Covid. You don’t sneeze into the mask and walk around with snot on your face all day.

I was in Italy for 7 weeks and people were pretty good about masks indoors (of course it’s Italy in the summer, so why would you be indoors except at home?). But even waiters would universally pull their mask down to speak because you can’t understand a damn word through a mask.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...66/838/cdc.jpg
https://knowyourmeme.com/photos/1866838

Pedestrian Sep 20, 2020 9:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9048040)
The very fucking obvious answer is different rules based on risk. You cannot possibly find the right balance of economic activity and protection against the virus if you insist on treating everyone equally.

Well you English can do what you want, but to NOT treat everyone equally based on things like age and disabilities, which we know is what you mean, is illegal over here as it should be.

mhays Sep 20, 2020 9:42 PM

^^ The idea that risk is only to yourself is one of those missed education points...or worse.

JManc Sep 20, 2020 10:00 PM

Those self righteous about how others are (incorrectly) wearing their masks are as nauseating as those incorrectly (or refusing) wearing their masks. Unless they are medical professionals.

They along with people who drive with them on in the car and/or take selfies with them on and use them as profile pictures on social media.

the urban politician Sep 20, 2020 10:07 PM

In public I stay quiet and polite about it. But in a room with a patient I always instruct them how to wear a mask correctly (and I ask them to pull their mask over their nose).

Pedestrian Sep 20, 2020 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9048073)
In public I stay quiet and polite about it. But in a room with a patient I always instruct them how to wear a mask correctly (and I ask them to pull their mask over their nose).

So how do you feel about "community leaders" instructing us on TV about the importance of masks and "distancing" while their own mask barely covers their nose if at all (you know it would do no good at all if they sneezed)?

the urban politician Sep 20, 2020 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9048077)
So how do you feel about "community leaders" instructing us on TV about the importance of masks and "distancing" while their own mask barely covers their nose if at all (you know it would do no good at all if they sneezed)?

They’re horrible.

You don’t need a medical degree or even a scientific background to have the common sense to realize that a respiratory pathogen is transmitted via our respiratory orifices. So cover them both.

Besides, there is a growing belief that one of the major benefits of the mask is that it reduces the innoculate size of infection, as opposed to simply preventing infection. Hence if I get Covid while wearing a mask, I likely develop immunity while having mild or no symptoms.

mhays Sep 21, 2020 4:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9048067)
Those self righteous about how others are (incorrectly) wearing their masks are as nauseating as those incorrectly (or refusing) wearing their masks. Unless they are medical professionals.

They along with people who drive with them on in the car and/or take selfies with them on and use them as profile pictures on social media.

While I've never said a word to anyone, I applaud those who do.

Some douchebag not wearing a mask properly within six feet is MY and OUR problem.

We all have the information needed.

10023 Sep 21, 2020 6:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9048048)
Well you English can do what you want, but to NOT treat everyone equally based on things like age and disabilities, which we know is what you mean, is illegal over here as it should be.

There are lots of things where people are treated differently based on age, and health or safety is usually the justification. There is no reason why this should be different except a bunch of stubborn old farts like yourself refusing to be pragmatic. And the longer that’s the case, the more my attitude becomes “fuck old people”.

10023 Sep 21, 2020 6:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhays (Post 9048050)
^^ The idea that risk is only to yourself is one of those missed education points...or worse.

You continue to fail to understand the concept.

The goal shouldn’t be stopping the spread of CV-19, but rather limiting its spread to vulnerable people. More young people getting it and producing antibodies and community resistance is a good thing. Those young people would have to choose whether they get to live normally or see their grandparents (but not both) during this situation.

We need to be isolating the old and vulnerable* from everyone else, not making the entire population suffer along with them.

* including those caring for them in person

glowrock Sep 21, 2020 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9048028)
I’m sick of people wearing masks incorrectly.

Having it covering your mouth but not your nose is NOT THE CORRECT WAY to do it here, folks. Might as well just not wear it at all

Yes, absolutely. As a retail worker, I'm so tired of having to tell customers to put the damn mask over their nose!

Aaron (Glowrock)

the urban politician Sep 21, 2020 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9048354)
You continue to fail to understand the concept.

The goal shouldn’t be stopping the spread of CV-19, but rather limiting its spread to vulnerable people. More young people getting it and producing antibodies and community resistance is a good thing. Those young people would have to choose whether they get to live normally or see their grandparents (but not both) during this situation.

We need to be isolating the old and vulnerable* from everyone else, not making the entire population suffer along with them.

* including those caring for them in person

Right now it's quite evident that COVID is far, far deadlier in the elderly and vulnerable populations. Whereas it's really not worse than other extant respiratory pathogens (Flu, etc) for younger and healthier populations.

Whether that means that we should change policies is hard to say, mostly because there is a lingering distrust of the young. Will they really protect the elderly?

the urban politician Sep 21, 2020 4:00 PM

Life sucks right now

That best sums it up

JManc Sep 21, 2020 4:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhays (Post 9048316)
While I've never said a word to anyone, I applaud those who do.

Some douchebag not wearing a mask properly within six feet is MY and OUR problem.

We all have the information needed.

Unless you're built like the Rock, confronting some idiot without a mask is asking for trouble. It's just not worth it and people have been hurt (including store workers) demanding customers wear their masks correctly. Not sure about other states but here, workers no longer confront those without them on for their own well-being. We've stooped that fucking low.

I am more referring to those virtue signalling with the selfies and feeling like everyone needs to wear one the moment they walk out their front door and if they don't they are knuckle-dragging Trumpers. I wear one inside any business and avoid going out as much as I can but I will not wear one outside.

edale Sep 21, 2020 5:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9048677)
Unless you're built like the Rock, confronting some idiot without a mask is asking for trouble. It's just not worth it and people have been hurt (including store workers) demanding customers wear their masks correctly. Not sure about other states but here, workers no longer confront those without them on for their own well-being. We've stooped that fucking low.

I am more referring to those virtue signalling with the selfies and feeling like everyone needs to wear one the moment they walk out their front door and if they don't they are knuckle-dragging Trumpers. I wear one inside any business and avoid going out as much as I can but I will not wear one outside.

Well you don't live in an urban neighborhood, if I remember correctly. If I lived in the suburbs, I don't know if I'd wear a mask while walking the dog. But I live in a crowded urban neighborhood, and walking around the block means walking past lots of people, often without much space available to distance. Thankfully, almost everyone in my part of LA wears masks outside. It's not much of a sacrifice, and it's a sign of basic respect for your neighbors. I find it somewhat weird to see you defiantly announce your refusal to wear one outside.

Then again, my FB pic is me in a mask. But it was from a visit to China and I made it my profile pic as more of a joke when masks became popular during Covid.

homebucket Sep 21, 2020 6:00 PM

I would wear a mask when outdoors walking on a fairly crowded street or park. But you definitely don't need to wear one if you're standing outside your front door and no one is around. Or if you're a secluded park or beach. You really only need it if you're going to be within six feet of other people repeatedly.

JManc Sep 21, 2020 6:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edale (Post 9048798)
Well you don't live in an urban neighborhood, if I remember correctly. If I lived in the suburbs, I don't know if I'd wear a mask while walking the dog. But I live in a crowded urban neighborhood, and walking around the block means walking past lots of people, often without much space available to distance. Thankfully, almost everyone in my part of LA wears masks outside. It's not much of a sacrifice, and it's a sign of basic respect for your neighbors. I find it somewhat weird to see you defiantly announce your refusal to wear one outside.

Then again, my FB pic is me in a mask. But it was from a visit to China and I made it my profile pic as more of a joke when masks became popular during Covid.

Because there's no need to in most cases. Yes, if you're in a crowded urban area with less than 6' between you, it makes sense to wear one but walking through the parking lot or out for a walk, no. Again, people are wearing them alone in the car. Not necessary.

mhays Sep 21, 2020 6:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9048677)

My definition of "distanced" has changed. I live in an urban neighborhood so I'm constantly passing people. Even when they're eight feet away there's still some transmission risk, and that's really frequent in an urban area. On a bike lane/trail people are constantly passing in the other direction. So I wear a mask when I bike, and wear one when in my neighborhood.

Your approach causes less risk and spread than some people's. But it's signficantly more risk than needed.

iheartthed Sep 21, 2020 7:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhays (Post 9048853)
My definition of "distanced" has changed. I live in an urban neighborhood so I'm constantly passing people. Even when they're eight feet away there's still some transmission risk, and that's really frequent in an urban area. On a bike lane/trail people are constantly passing in the other direction. So I wear a mask when I bike, and wear one when in my neighborhood.

Your approach causes less risk and spread than some people's. But it's signficantly more risk than needed.

Even if it is airborne (yes, I know - it IS airborne), the natural dispersal of the virus particles by air flow while outdoors makes the risk of outdoor transmission extremely low. Nobody knows for sure how low, but the evidence suggests that the risk is negligible. New York went the entire summer with no uptick in transmission, and the only explanation is that the state didn't allow normal indoor activities to resume for the entire summer.

Slightly related: Now that New York City has allowed more indoor facilities to reopen (gyms), and also more people have returned to offices, we're starting to see the virus numbers trend up again.