SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | Wolf Point - East Tower | 679 FT | 62 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228891)

10023 Oct 16, 2017 8:10 AM

Well that doesn't look good.

How does that still happen? Just lots of rain? Or did the city screw up with the locks and let water in from the lake?

I've actually always wondered whether the Army Corps of Engineers needs to come back and re-dredge the river at some point to keep it flowing the way they've made it flow. Or do they do this regularly as maintenance?

LMich Oct 16, 2017 8:43 AM

Since someone seems bound and determined not to add any context...

Like much the rest of the region this weekend, downtown Chicago got something like 4 inches of rain on Saturday alone.

Record Rainfall Floods Chicago Area

Heck, across the lake they had to drain a million gallons of water out of Waldo Stadium in Kalamazoo:

http://image.mlive.com/home/mlive-me...60ad7e31e0.JPG
Kaytie Boomer

It was simply too much water too quickly, that's all. Flash floods.

ardecila Oct 16, 2017 3:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 7953613)
Well that doesn't look good.

How does that still happen? Just lots of rain? Or did the city screw up with the locks and let water in from the lake?

I've actually always wondered whether the Army Corps of Engineers needs to come back and re-dredge the river at some point to keep it flowing the way they've made it flow. Or do they do this regularly as maintenance?

There's only a thin sheet of steel between this pit and a major river. You can't pump it out because there's nowhere for the water to go - can't put it into the river, and the sewers are overwhelmed.

Also since they don't have a ramp, they can't easily move the equipment out of the pit. Seems like that should have been factored into the staging somehow.

harryc Oct 16, 2017 5:43 PM

Oct 16

Pumping out


Drying out


Ready



jc5680 Oct 16, 2017 7:49 PM

A couple hours of pumping and mostly back to normal.


MayorOfChicago Oct 17, 2017 3:44 PM

I walked by at 5pm and it looked like nothing ever happened regarding the rain. Not sure if the equipment would agree, but at least the water was gone quick.

harryc Oct 17, 2017 3:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 7953854)
There's only a thin sheet of steel between this pit and a major river. You can't pump it out because there's nowhere for the water to go - can't put it into the river, and the sewers are overwhelmed.

Also since they don't have a ramp, they can't easily move the equipment out of the pit. Seems like that should have been factored into the staging somehow.

Looking at another nearby site (808 Van Buren) is is apparent that the river came in, just not that much water in the basement.
Oct 15

SolarWind Oct 24, 2017 2:11 AM

October 16, 2017


SolarWind Oct 26, 2017 3:03 AM

October 25, 2017






BVictor1 Oct 26, 2017 10:07 AM

^That's gonna be a deep hole.

aaron38 Oct 26, 2017 11:25 AM

Well those rigs are moving. They must be fully watertight.

rlw777 Oct 26, 2017 2:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron38 (Post 7965546)
Well those rigs are moving. They must be fully watertight.

Nah if you look at the before and after you can see they are different rigs

harryc Oct 28, 2017 2:46 AM

Oct 17



Drying out





Oct 20

Back at work (with new excavators)


Oct 25



A pressure gauge ?

Chi-Sky21 Oct 28, 2017 3:07 AM

That 5th shot is awesome harry.

Rocket49 Oct 28, 2017 3:19 AM

I love the artistry in your photos, harry!

SolarWind Nov 3, 2017 5:53 PM

October 31, 2017








J_M_Tungsten Nov 3, 2017 8:25 PM

Wow, where does all that clay go?

Chi-Sky21 Nov 3, 2017 8:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten (Post 7975522)
Wow, where does all that clay go?


left of center Nov 3, 2017 9:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolarWind (Post 7975277)

I dub thee New Netherland!

Pretty sweet shot. Really gives you an idea of the insane amount of engineering that is at work to erect these riverfront skyscrapers.

harryc Nov 3, 2017 11:48 PM

Nov 3




Nov 1



Good Clay


Team Effort




Oct 20

Kinda like getting the bottom bunk - but worse.


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.