SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

Phxguy Jan 20, 2021 7:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymratmanaz (Post 9165543)
I don't know, with vaccines starting, maybe it will work by the time it is converted. There certainly is a need for gyms downtown, especially one that might be more locally-focused and not a chain. It is right in the middle of lots of apartments, so there would be a close population.

I think a locally owned gym could succeed in the space though it shouldn’t solely be a gym. Sort of like how the Duce activates its building by being a boxing/cross fit gym among a myriad of other uses.

The owners will have to go the extra mile to not create a deadspace on Central by throwing treadmills along the windows. Adding some sort of retail component that sells supplements and gear could be added on this frontage. The patio could use a health-oriented Café and host events such as yoga during the day and swing dance at night.

As much as I would prefer another food court, the owners will have to think outside the box to keep this corner active most hours of the day.

gymratmanaz Jan 20, 2021 7:26 PM

True.

CrestedSaguaro Jan 20, 2021 7:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 9165553)
I get it. But to your point, most of these new "luxury" apartments being built up and down Roosevelt have their own gym complex. Obviously not the same as a full-blown gym but it's something. And some of these newer apartment's fitness complexes are pretty damn nice with high-rise views.

Bingo. Why would someone want to pay for a gym membership when they have one included in their rental? That already gives the gym tough competition in the area and with COVID restrictions in effect for gym's, it's going to be a rough start for them. Yes, we have vaccinations happening, but they are very slow and will be will into the year before we start to see any real difference in the epidemic.

So what happened to the Goodwill concept? I know I was against it when it was announced, but do we know why it fell through?

CrestedSaguaro Jan 20, 2021 9:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 9165517)
The former DeSoto market building is becoming a gym:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...ym/4212527001/

I walked by during my lunch and didn't see any work being done at all. There's even a few homeless people camped out on the patio. Article says "construction is "well on it's way"? :shrug:

combusean Jan 20, 2021 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9165680)
Bingo. Why would someone want to pay for a gym membership when they have one included in their rental? That already gives the gym tough competition in the area and with COVID restrictions in effect for gym's, it's going to be a rough start for them. Yes, we have vaccinations happening, but they are very slow and will be will into the year before we start to see any real difference in the epidemic.

So what happened to the Goodwill concept? I know I was against it when it was announced, but do we know why it fell through?

You're not going to find trainers and group instructors, enough good machines, a decent range of dumbbells, rarely if ever barbells, and never advanced stuff like squat racks in an apartment gym. If all you do is cardio, the apartment gym is fine, but that's generally a bad idea anyways. They're passable if you're busy and can't get time for a full workout, but the idea that they can compete with inexpensive membership at an actual gym is absurd.

biggus diggus Jan 20, 2021 10:32 PM

I agree with combosean on this one. Apartment gyms are there to rent apartments and we all know the apartment gym is for the very casual user.

I think there are three categories: outdoor exercisers who want to hike, trail run, bicycle and won't go to a gym. home gym users who just want to get a little cardio or pick up a heavy thing, they'll be satiated by the apartment gym. lastly, there's gym rats who eat all the muscle powder so they can compete with one another to pick up the heaviest of metal. I don't see these people using the apartment gym much.

so, all that ramble to say that I think 2/3 of potential gym users won't be satisfied with an apartment workout room.

fawd Jan 20, 2021 10:53 PM

Nah, Im with Crested. These apartment gyms in the new developments are MUCH nicer than the ones from even 5-10 years ago.

We have a place at the Pacific City Residences in Huntington Beach, which opened 2-3 years ago. The gym is phenomenal. Dozen treadmills + stairmasters, full weight room, boxing bags, a room dedicated to spin classes etc.

They even have personal trainers & yoga instructors come through every week. Or you can bring your own...

combusean Jan 20, 2021 11:40 PM

I looked at Kenect (which only linked to an equipment catalog of some sort), iLuminate, Linear, Proxy, Link, and Broadstone Roosevelt (whatever it's called now) online and none of them had a freeweight barbell setup. With the exception of Proxy's cramped area, I agree that they are bigger and better than the previous generation of complexes but they're all underclassed for any younger adult male in good shape, which is probably half of who they're trying to rent to anyways.

I'm assuming this is intentional because idiots can easily hurt themselves without a spotter or damage floors if they forget to use clips.

PHXFlyer11 Jan 21, 2021 12:12 AM

It’s funny reading these comments because you can tell who lifts and who “works out.” Nobody is arguing of the apartment gyms are nice or not, the point is if you are a lifter it’s not sufficient. We have a pretty good gym in our building but I go to EOS to lift. But a local lifting place thats more focused on lifting and less with the cardio equipment and has some local character and community to it would be awesome!

fawd Jan 21, 2021 2:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 9165943)
and none of them had a freeweight barbell setup.

Interesting. If I recall correctly, 44 had a full freeweight setup, and that gym was eh

DesertRay Jan 21, 2021 5:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawd (Post 9166117)
Interesting. If I recall correctly, 44 had a full freeweight setup, and that gym was eh

The part that had me *most* excited about the story was the outdoor gym space. I would love to see Phoenix (esp. downtown) embrace lifting in a more serious way. We'll see if this pans out.

gymratmanaz Jan 21, 2021 1:26 PM

Let's bulk up people!!!

DesertRay Jan 21, 2021 2:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymratmanaz (Post 9166297)
Let's bulk up people!!!

LOL

"Got Swoll?"

Back in the late 80s/early 90s the place to see bodybuilders was at sand volleyball tournaments. I remember going to one of these tournaments with women wearing bikinis and men wearing "shirts" (basically two strings holding a low-draped piece of cloth). First match was Sinjin Smith and Karch Karali (NCAA champs and Olympic gold medalists) against a local Phoenix team. Phoenix team gets first point and yells 'WELCOME TO PHOENIX!!!' at the world champs. Phoenix team never gets another point.

Not sure that the bodybuilders noticed that there was a ball and net.

TJPHXskyscraperfan Jan 22, 2021 1:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 9165517)
The former DeSoto market building is becoming a gym:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...ym/4212527001/

They should incorporate a little bar as well......

exit2lef Jan 22, 2021 2:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan (Post 9167181)
They should incorporate a little bar as well......

Maybe the patio on the north side facing Roosevelt should be an outdoor lifting area. It might look something like a cross between Venice in LA and a prison yard (said by someone who doesn’t lift anything heavier than his bicycle or 40-lbs boxes of cat litter).

TJPHXskyscraperfan Jan 22, 2021 2:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 9165943)
I looked at Kenect (which only linked to an equipment catalog of some sort), iLuminate, Linear, Proxy, Link, and Broadstone Roosevelt (whatever it's called now) online and none of them had a freeweight barbell setup. With the exception of Proxy's cramped area, I agree that they are bigger and better than the previous generation of complexes but they're all underclassed for any younger adult male in good shape, which is probably half of who they're trying to rent to anyways.

I'm assuming this is intentional because idiots can easily hurt themselves without a spotter or damage floors if they forget to use clips.

All these new apartments have free weights. I live at Park on Central and we do and pretty much any newer apartment does. I see personal trainers in our gym all the time as well.

PHXFlyer11 Jan 23, 2021 4:29 PM

Next Cranes

Just reminded about McKinley Green in the other thread. It seems in my mind there are 4 likely groundbreakings in the first half of this year.

Probable (1H 21):

- Skye
- Central Station
- Astra
- McKinley Green

Any I am missing? I think Jefferson, Link 3 and Blue are longer shots and further down the road at last...

IndyAZ Jan 23, 2021 5:43 PM

[QUOTE=PHXFlyer11;9168616]Any I am missing? I think Jefferson, Link 3 and Blue are longer shots and further down the road at last...[/QUOTE

Link 3 has not even started design yet from what I know, so I don't think that one is coming anytime soon, hopefully Blue gets past all hurdles and maybe a second half of '21 start.

X PHX Basecamp is also a possibility for 1st half of 2021. They are supposed to be restarting that one as well soon from what I have heard and it is same as McKinley, everything is approved just needs to go to Construction Docs/Permits.

Diamonddave Jan 23, 2021 6:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 9168616)
Just reminded about McKinley Green in the other thread. It seems in my mind there are 4 likely groundbreakings in the first half of this year.

Probable (1H 21):

- Skye
- Central Station
- Astra
- McKinley Green

Any I am missing? I think Jefferson, Link 3 and Blue are longer shots and further down the road at last...

How about Palm Court?

PHXFlyer11 Jan 23, 2021 8:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diamonddave (Post 9168710)
How about Palm Court?

It seems this one has stalled as well. If probably put it in the long shot category for 1H 21 now.