SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

Phxguy Nov 15, 2017 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 7986622)
Downtown Deli finally opening up in early December

https://downtowndevil.com/2017/11/15...downtown-deli/

The Devil's take on it.

fawd Nov 15, 2017 10:37 PM

PHOENIX SUNS ARENA UPDATE

This is going to be an interesting situation to watch for many reasons... #3 has been pretty hush, hush. But it's starting to get out, so whatever.

Sarver and the Suns met with key members of the City of Phoenix yesterday regarding renovating the arena (new arena is out of the question, at this point). From what I understand, it went downhill in a hurry and both sides are no longer talking to eachother. Three reasons:

1) Members of the city council will be running for Greg Stantons mayoral seat (two in particular). In this political climate, it's a death wish to grant a sports team state/tax resources. Members of the council who are running will NOT support the renovation.

2) Renovation costs will exceed 225million. The Team almost always helps foot part of the expense. Supposedly the Suns went to the table willing to fork up 25-50mm. Which is pretty low..

Now here's where it gets interesting.

3) Hearing Robert Sarver is weighing a run for Congress. This jacks with everything because the City can't appear as though it's 'gifting' state funds to a political candidate OR appear as though it's endorsing a political candidate. Timing couldn't be worse for the Suns.

Unrelated to the above, just FYI if you're into politics... Sarver is a big Flake GOP guy. Sarver used to host fundraisers for Flake etc. Long story short, the GOP establishment is scrambling to find a 'name' to run against Kelli Ward and the Trump $$$. Sarver is one of a very small group that is being considered.

exit2lef Nov 15, 2017 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawd (Post 7987333)
3) Hearing Robert Sarver is weighing a run for Congress. This jacks with everything because the City can't appear as though it's 'gifting' state funds to a political candidate OR appear as though it's endorsing a political candidate. Timing couldn't be worse for the Suns.

Unrelated to the above, just FYI if you're into politics... Sarver is a big Flake GOP guy. Sarver used to host fundraisers for Flake etc. Long story short, the GOP establishment is scrambling to find a 'name' to run against Kelli Ward and the Trump $$$. Sarver is one of a very small group that is being considered.

Ideology or party affiliation aside, I can't think of a less popular person to run for Congress. Being the beneficiary of a renovated arena financed largely by the city would only make the problem worse.

biggus diggus Nov 15, 2017 11:11 PM

No one has ever accused Sarver (or any banker) for being a brilliant thinker.

CrestedSaguaro Nov 15, 2017 11:14 PM

So...back to what we were talking about earlier. What are the chances the Suns can look towards the tribe to build a new arena?

Also, if Sarver runs for Congress, does he have to give up the Suns ownership (I'm not sure how that works)? If so, if Sarver goes bye-bye, could we see renewed interests in a joint arena with the Coyotes?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawd (Post 7987333)
PHOENIX SUNS ARENA UPDATE

This is going to be an interesting situation to watch for many reasons... #3 has been pretty hush, hush. But it's starting to get out, so whatever.

Sarver and the Suns met with key members of the City of Phoenix yesterday regarding renovating the arena (new arena is out of the question, at this point). From what I understand, it went downhill in a hurry and both sides are no longer talking to eachother. Three reasons:

1) Members of the city council will be running for Greg Stantons mayoral seat (two in particular). In this political climate, it's a death wish to grant a sports team state/tax resources. Members of the council who are running will NOT support the renovation.

2) Renovation costs will exceed 225million. The Team almost always helps foot part of the expense. Supposedly the Suns went to the table willing to fork up 25-50mm. Which is pretty low..

Now here's where it gets interesting.

nickw252 Nov 15, 2017 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 7987372)
What are the chances the Suns can look towards the tribe to build a new arena?

I work for the Salt River Tribal Government. Nothing has publicly come out over here.

muertecaza Nov 15, 2017 11:32 PM

If one of the requirements for Sarver to run for office is for him to divest himself of his ownership interest in the Suns, I'll vote for him.

CrestedSaguaro Nov 15, 2017 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muertecaza (Post 7987398)
If one of the requirements for Sarver to run for office is for him to divest himself of his ownership interest in the Suns, I'll vote for him.

Sarver for Congress! :haha:

ASU Diablo Nov 16, 2017 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 7980984)
Probably the first time we've heard some concrete news on what the plan is for TSR Arena. Sarver is demanding over $250M for a complete renovation. Renovation would only require a city council vote where a new arena would require tax approval. He knows he probably won't get taxpayer approval so seeking the renovation route. I would be okay with the renovation or new approval if it was re purposed to accommodate the 'Yotes but Sarver is an asshole and won't do that.

http://www.12news.com/news/politics/...ders/490421506

Fawd - we talked about this a couple of days ago but Sarver making a run at Congress is certainly news. I hope he does and is forced to sell the Suns.

Prestige Worldwide Nov 16, 2017 1:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 7987428)
Fawd - we talked about this a couple of days ago but Sarver making a run at Congress is certainly news. I hope he does and is forced to sell the Suns.

I thought Herb Kohl was in the Senate and owned the Bucks simultaneously, right?

muertecaza Nov 16, 2017 2:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prestige Worldwide (Post 7987518)
I thought Herb Kohl was in the Senate and owned the Bucks simultaneously, right?

Shoot, you're right. Still, a man can dream.

fawd Nov 16, 2017 2:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 7987428)

Ah, crap! Sorry guys, totally missed that conversation. You guys are quick!

Returning to my 'homeless' rant from a few days ago.... Just walked by Dust Cutter (which was packed, great to see). Homeless guy on the sidewalk harassing guests that were sitting on the other side of the open window/firepit inside the restaurant.

Can't go a day without seeing something some sort of issue. :???::???::???:

biggus diggus Nov 16, 2017 4:19 AM

Your perspective is interesting. I've spent most of my life in Phoenix, a lot of time in Chicago, and a fair amount of time in NYC. I don't observe a 'problem' in downtown Phoenix and even though I do see more homeless now than I did five years ago, it's not what I would consider a "problem".

fawd Nov 16, 2017 4:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7987652)
Your perspective is interesting. I've spent most of my life in Phoenix, a lot of time in Chicago, and a fair amount of time in NYC. I don't observe a 'problem' in downtown Phoenix and even though I do see more homeless now than I did five years ago, it's not what I would consider a "problem".

Its a problem. And the problem seems to have become highly concentrated around central between Roosevelt and Washington... so basically the most ‘downtown’ part of ‘downtown’. Can even zone it down further and go between Jefferson and Van Buren.

And I spend 5 weeks a year in NYC... its different here. Much more noticeable and prominent in Phoenix as there is FAR less foot traffic than Manhattan.

biggus diggus Nov 16, 2017 4:40 AM

Well, I guess I'm downtown at the wrong times then. My office is near 4th and McKinley and I often walk to Café, Desoto, Even Stevens, and Crescent Ballroom for lunch. I don't encounter too many homeless people at all. I was with my girlfriend over the weekend at Whining Pig and we walked up Washington and Central to Fez for a late cocktail before riding the light rail back uptown, I was not bothered by a single homeless person. Only a few drunk college aged kids talked to us.

TJPHXskyscraperfan Nov 16, 2017 6:36 AM

This would be devistating to the city of Phoenix if these dumb council members don't vote for the renovations. Downtown Phoenix has so much momentum right now with all the development going on. This would be a huge set back. Literally every NBA arena is downtown. The Detroit Pistons just went back to downtown Detroit with the Little Ceasars arena and even the Sacramento Kings managed to build a new arena downtown and now Sacramento's downtown is even booming. The Warriors are even going back to San Fransisco after they couldn't manage to keep the 9ers. Football is ok way out because of the land it takes up and the fact that it is just once a week. I honestly don't know what kind of renovations can really take place besides maybe new seats and a huge video screen. Maybe wider hallways around the arena for the concession stands. You can't add another row of suites because it would take up too many regular seats and the arena is too small to do that. I'm for a new area that would replace the old convention center building but of course we aren't getting a vote for that. But anyway, the amount of business the games drive to the bars and restaurants is very important to downtown and of course makes the city sales tax. If this isn't voted for I believe all the downtown momentum will start to slow down. The Suns are our original franchise, yes we aren't doing well right now but hoepfully it's just a few bad years. Booker is a star and hopefully we bring in a free agent this off season. We have the 4th best winning percentage in the NBA through are history. The Kings are in a longer playoff slump that we are and they got their area built. I think their owner paid more and cares about his team more but either way, get it done Phoenix!!!!!!!!!!

biggus diggus Nov 16, 2017 9:48 AM

Agreed, too many people are too short sighted to see how bright the Suns future is. They were mismanaged for a few years while the owner meddled but he stepped back and now they are on the tailing end of a successful rebuild. 7 first round draft picks in the next four years, a ton of salary cap flexibility, and control of almost every player on the team for 5+ years means they are poised to make the big move to pay the team info serious contention in 2-3 years.

CrestedSaguaro Nov 16, 2017 4:05 PM

No one wants to see the Suns leave Downtown, least of all the City of Phoenix. But the Suns were only willing to pay 25 million of a renovation with a cost estimated at 450 million. Where does anyone think this money is going to come from? I do not think the tax payers are going to go for this and the city knows it. They are looking after the taxpayers for once instead of the team's greediness. Sarver needs to cough up some more of his own money, period. I am a sports fanatic that goes to at least 1 sports event per week whether it be the Suns, Coyotes or Diamondbacks and I am sick of taxpayers footing the bill for these teams. I see nothing wrong with the arena that would require 450 million for renovations. I mean that's nearly the cost of what a completely new arena would cost (Sacramento's new arena was $585 million to build).

*Edit: And as I was writing this post, more from AZ Central about the Coyotes, Suns and tribe options. https://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...ose/867354001/

TJPHXskyscraperfan Nov 16, 2017 5:02 PM

That's a exactly why I said to build a new arena but renovating is the only option, get it done! Yes, it's tax payers money but I rather pay for this than half the crap we pay for in taxes! This is an economic driver! This isn't the only reason people want to move downtown but it is curtainly part of it! I went to two Suns games this past week, hopped on the light rail, had a beer at the game with no worries while a couple people I went with got in their car back to Glendale and them saying, it's so cool that you can just take the train to the game, I wish I lived downtown. It would be devistating for downtown if they go to the Res. Sarver can't make the same mistake the Coyotes made years back. Obviously it didn't work for them. The Res may be a better location than Glendale but still not Downtown

CrestedSaguaro Nov 16, 2017 5:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan (Post 7988058)
That's a exactly why I said to build a new arena but renovating is the only option, get it done! Yes, it's tax payers money but I rather pay for this than half the crap we pay for in taxes! This is an economic driver! This isn't the only reason people want to move downtown but it is curtainly part of it! I went to two Suns games this past week, hopped on the light rail, had a beer at the game with no worries while a couple people I went with got in their car back to Glendale and them saying, it's so cool that you can just take the train to the game, I wish I lived downtown. It would be devistating for downtown if they go to the Res. Sarver can't make the same mistake the Coyotes made years back. Obviously it didn't work for them. The Res may be a better location than Glendale but still not Downtown

Yes, I agree that the teams leaving Downtown would be a devastating blow as I posted a few pages back on this topic. But a $450 million taxpayer funded renovation is absurd. Sarver needs to pony up a much larger chunk of this, not a measly $25 mill. Seriously...these team owners act like they are broke.

Also, for some reason these team owners believe if they don't have the most up-to-date and newest arena, the fans are not going to come to the games all of a sudden. Wrigley Field is how old? And yet it's a full-house every game. A winning product fills arena's, not renovations. It's time these teams understand this. I am OK with money towards upkeep, paint, new seats, scoreboards and screens. But $450 million in renovations? This could be done at half that cost.

If Sarver wants to include the Coyotes in on this in order to get them back Downtown, then I would be more susceptive and I think many more taxpayers would support this instead of a single team. But Sarver is greedy and doesn't want to work with the Coyotes.