SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

combusean Oct 21, 2015 2:12 AM

- Portland on the Park is under construction (14 stories)
- Luhrs City Center has a tower crane for the cobranded hotel tower (23?)
- Edison at Midtown (8ish stories) I think.

That's it in Phoenix.

azsunsurfer Oct 21, 2015 2:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 7205378)
Recent openings between Camelback and McDowell include Clever Koi (Central & Glenrosa), Ocotillo (3rd St. & Flower), Oven + Vine (Central & Vernon), Corduroy (Central & Virginia), and Fame Cafe (Central & Highland). That may not be enough for a boom, but it's definitely enough to pull us out of wasteland territory.

True, but the premises of the article was the attractiveness of those openings with regards to real estate decisions. While it may be a nice amenity for managers or those who entertain clients, and maybe holiday parties..the honest truth is the average office employee has on average half an hour for lunch. Not enough time to visit most of those locations for a quick lunch within the major cluster of high rises. As someone who travels a bit for work, I noticed some of the country's premier office districts have awesome restaurants within some of these major buildings or on their doorstep. Just an observation..

azsunsurfer Oct 21, 2015 2:59 AM

That councilman is a scumbag and may have marred any portion for the "Filmore" neighborhood to become something really cool. This may be tied up in legal challenges from the competitors and might scar that land politically and impede the City from moving on it for a time being if this proposal is yanked. This is Phoenix, not a cesspool of corruption like Chicago not LA...but I could be wrong..

exit2lef Oct 21, 2015 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsunsurfer (Post 7205685)
As someone who travels a bit for work, I noticed some of the country's premier office districts have awesome restaurants within some of these major buildings or on their doorstep. Just an observation..

But can you get in and out of them in 30 minutes? For any restaurant that might be described as an "interesting concept," that seems a stretch regardless of location. Maybe we're talking about two different things, though.

PHXFlyer11 Oct 21, 2015 1:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 7205898)
But can you get in and out of them in 30 minutes? For any restaurant that might be described as an "interesting concept," that seems a stretch regardless of location. Maybe we're talking about two different things, though.

I think we are missing the overall point of the article. It's not about where Fez is located now or how quickly you can get in and out of a restaurant.

Point is, many unique restaurants continue to pop-up. Most of them have been mentioned already. That raises the attractiveness of the area. Yes, many of these places are not really lunch options, but that's not really the point.

The influx of these restaurants and remodeling of many of the buildings have resulted in a more attractive office market. A lot has to do with the light rail as a driving force and is now create demand for residential.

Personally I live midtown and am very excited to see the development. I hope that Park Central is next.

PHX31 Oct 21, 2015 3:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsunsurfer (Post 7205685)
True, but the premises of the article was the attractiveness of those openings with regards to real estate decisions. While it may be a nice amenity for managers or those who entertain clients, and maybe holiday parties..the honest truth is the average office employee has on average half an hour for lunch. Not enough time to visit most of those locations for a quick lunch within the major cluster of high rises. As someone who travels a bit for work, I noticed some of the country's premier office districts have awesome restaurants within some of these major buildings or on their doorstep. Just an observation..

There are quite a few other food options for the midtown office worker crowd. I see tons of them walking around the Thomas/Central intersection almost every day. Just in that immediate area there are Panera Bread, Lenny's burgers, Pino's, Sacks, Z Pizza, even places like Subway and Blimpie. I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at. There are great unique restaurants you can't find anywhere else and faster casual type restaurants that would cater to the 30-min lunch crowd. Midtown isn't Wilshire, but it's not a dead zone by any means.

dtnphx Oct 21, 2015 4:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7205442)
The lot at McDowell and central is all graded, there's a water truck and steak all over.

Steak all over? I'm leaving now....:runaway:

exit2lef Oct 21, 2015 4:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 7205913)
I think we are missing the overall point of the article. It's not about where Fez is located now or how quickly you can get in and out of a restaurant.

Point is, many unique restaurants continue to pop-up. Most of them have been mentioned already. That raises the attractiveness of the area. Yes, many of these places are not really lunch options, but that's not really the point.

The influx of these restaurants and remodeling of many of the buildings have resulted in a more attractive office market. A lot has to do with the light rail as a driving force and is now create demand for residential.

Personally I live midtown and am very excited to see the development. I hope that Park Central is next.

I agree entirely with your thoughts; I just think the article was somewhat muddled in its presentation and logic. You've actually made the point more clearly than the Business Journal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 7206102)
There are quite a few other food options for the midtown office worker crowd. I see tons of them walking around the Thomas/Central intersection almost every day. Just in that immediate area there are Panera Bread, Lenny's burgers, Pino's, Sacks, Z Pizza, even places like Subway and Blimpie. I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at. There are great unique restaurants you can't find anywhere else and faster casual type restaurants that would cater to the 30-min lunch crowd. Midtown isn't Wilshire, but it's not a dead zone by any means.

Exactly. The person who has only 30 minutes for lunch is unlikely to head to a distinctive, innovative restaurant, even it's located in the same building as his or her office. Most office buildings in Midtown have some sort of food on site or a short walk away, even it's only fast food or delis. The destination restaurants mentioned in the article and earlier in this thread are more suitable for special occasions, business meetings, catching up with friends, happy hour, and entertaining clients. Those activities generally take more than 30 minutes.

phoenixwillrise Oct 21, 2015 9:33 PM

You missed one

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 7205648)

That's it in Phoenix.

Tower crane at the Univ of Arizona Phx downtown campus 10 stories Bio Science Building

CrestedSaguaro Oct 21, 2015 9:40 PM

Quote:

That's it in Phoenix.

I believe the FAA obstruction evaluation showed a requested height of something like 250'ish for the Luhrs Marriott. I forget the exact height, but I just seen about 2 weeks ago. I'll have to double check. They are currently on the 2nd floor of concrete pour, so the Marriott is moving along nicely.

Also, don't forget the UA Bio building at 10 floors (maybe 11 stories with the roof portion that hides the HVAC equipment). So far, the first 5 floors have a very large floor spacing, so it may end up as tall as Portland.

nickw252 Oct 21, 2015 9:46 PM

Quote:

That's it in Phoenix.

Last I saw in the building permits the Luhrs was 19 floors. I think the original plan called for 23 floors.

As far as Edison goes, the real estate listings only have units up to floor 7.

dtnphx Oct 22, 2015 9:57 PM

Developer: Councilman Nowakowski alerted employer to downtown Phoenix land sale
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...sale/74010694/

combusean Oct 23, 2015 9:52 PM

Thanks all for correcting/adding to my list.

I am not as sharp in my old age as I once was where I'd know the height of everything to the foot.

exit2lef Oct 27, 2015 4:23 PM

Details of what's planned for the Lexington Hotel. I don't think we have a separate thread for this: http://downtownphoenixjournal.com/20...ntown-phoenix/

exit2lef Oct 29, 2015 12:18 PM

An update on Roosevelt Row development. It looks like Paz Cantina will be resurrected in the new building planned for the NEC of 3rd St. & Roosevelt. If so, I'd consider that good news. Too bad the Bodega 420 building won't be saved, though.
http://downtowndevil.com/2015/10/29/...e-residential/

biggus diggus Oct 29, 2015 3:53 PM

If you go to Wicker Park/Bucktown in Chicago you can see an area that once was a struggling district full of artists and has become gentrified. The way they utilized all of the old building stock there led to a ton of storefronts and interesting apartments.

My feeling is that Roosevelt will eventually turn into something like Milwaukee Aveune in that neighborhood. Lots of second hand clothing stores, restaurants, hair salons, and other things which cater to the younger population in the area who has, albeit limited, some disposable income. When that neighborhood began to be revitalized and all the apartments on Milwaukee filled up, things quickly began to spread to the blocks further away.

Imagine in 5-10 years McKinley, Garfield, Portland, and Moreland all being full of apartments and Roosevelt being the commercial center with people walking up and down the street. That's what I'm envisioning and I really think it's a possibility this time around if the multi-family bubble doesn't burst too soon.

PHXFlyer11 Oct 29, 2015 3:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 7215538)
An update on Roosevelt Row development. It looks like Paz Cantina will be resurrected in the new building planned for the NEC of 3rd St. & Roosevelt. If so, I'd consider that good news. Too bad the Bodega 420 building won't be saved, though.
http://downtowndevil.com/2015/10/29/...e-residential/

I have mixed feelings on this. Ideally they developed around the buildings, but it's probably not attractive from a financial standpoint. It is a positive to know that the ground-floor retail will not be empty lunch much of the other space around there.

Also, the influx of new residents to that immediate area when Proxy, Illuminate, the other one I'm forgetting the name of, and now this project will be staggering and should help the retail in that area. I'd venture to call it the most dense residential corner/block in the valley when complete.

Obadno Oct 29, 2015 4:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 7215777)
I have mixed feelings on this. Ideally they developed around the buildings, but it's probably not attractive from a financial standpoint. It is a positive to know that the ground-floor retail will not be empty lunch much of the other space around there.

Also, the influx of new residents to that immediate area when Proxy, Illuminate, the other one I'm forgetting the name of, and now this project will be staggering and should help the retail in that area. I'd venture to call it the most dense residential corner/block in the valley when complete.

Densest corner probably goes to West 6th /Hannover corner... or Apache/rural

CrestedSaguaro Oct 30, 2015 9:19 PM

Report: Nowakowski had no conflict in downtown Phoenix land deal

Hopefully, this can move on now...

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...deal/74701846/

Quote:

Phoenix City Councilman Michael Nowakowski did not violate conflict-of-interest laws while discussing plans to develop a piece of city-owned land downtown, and the bid process was "uncompromised," according to a report from a private law firm.

The city hired the firm, Sanders & Parks, to investigate the deal after a developer accused the councilman of not disclosing a conflict.

However, the firm wrote in its report released Thursday that, for the sake of transparency, Nowakowski should have told a team of competing developers that his employer was also looking into bidding on the land.

Phoenix City Manager Ed Zuercher commissioned the report and put the sale on hold in early October after The Arizona Republic published a story about the competing developer's claim. Robert Lyles, a partner at Deco Communities, said his team met with Nowakowski about the project in April but the councilman didn't disclose that the non-profit Cesar Chavez Foundation, where he is a top executive, would also be bidding.

"It is our conclusion based on the information available to us at this time that, although Councilman Nowakowski ... could have been more forthcoming in his discussion with Deco to avoid the appearance of impropriety, the RFP process was uncompromised and there were no violations of conflict of interest laws," attorneys for Sanders & Parks wrote in the report.

Nowakowski responded in a statement Thursday afternoon, saying the report shows the claim against him was false. The councilman said he didn’t know the Chavez Foundation would be bidding on the land at the time he met with Deco. He is one of the foundation's executive vice presidents and oversees its network of Spanish-language radio stations.

"It confirms what I have said from the beginning: I was falsely accused of having violated a conflict of interest, and there is no evidence to support the accusations," Nowakowski said in the statement. "The independent counsel did not reach its conclusions lightly; they took weeks to review documents and interview witnesses, and slowly got to the bottom of the allegations."

The Chavez Foundation and its partner, Trammell Crow Co., were named the city's recommended bidder to buy and redevelop the coveted piece of land in August. An executive for Trammell Crow has said they didn't know they were going to bid on the land until about June 10, although they began discussing a potential partnership in March.

Former Maricopa County Attorney Rick Romley, who has called on the county attorney or state attorney to investigate the matter, said the report from Sanders & Parks doesn't fully address his concerns about the deal. He maintains Nowakowski could have violated the state's conflict of interest law.

"I’m sure that the law firm conducted this investigation to the very best of their ability," Romley said after reading the report on Thursday. “However, to a trained investigator, the investigation is sorely lacking in several fundamental ways... It almost appears like this was a rush to judgment that they wanted to get this report before they had all the answers."

Romley pointed to the report, which states that attorneys for Sanders & Parks asked the Chavez Foundation and Trammell Crow to provide their complete project files for the bid, "but they would not produce them due to concerns regarding disclosure of confidential and proprietary information unrelated to the scope of our review."

The law firm also requested that Trammell Crow and the Chavez Foundation provide any e-mails related to Nowakowski or Deco Communities, "but they still declined to
provide their communications," the report states. Because Sanders & Parks is a private law firm and not a law-enforcement agency, they did not have subpoena power and only reviewed documents that were provided voluntarily.

Jason Rose, a spokesman for Trammell Crow, said they would not provide e-mails because they contain proprietary "business information." Rose called the report "29 pages of exoneration" and noted that Trammell Crow executives were willing to sign affidavits stating they received no information about any other bids.

The report also states that Sanders & Parks has requested additional documents that had not been made available at the time the review was written, including months of Nowakowski's calendar, Chavez Foundation board minutes and Deco's project-related correspondence.

Sanders & Parks interviewed 21 witnesses, including Nowakowski, other city officials and representatives from each development team. The firm also reviewed public records related to the bid process.

The firm's report states that investigators found no evidence that Nowakowski knew at the time of his April meeting with Deco that the Chavez Foundation was "going to actually pursue the (sale) or that it intended to submit a proposal." It also found no evidence that Deco provided specific details of its ultimate proposal to the councilman or that Nowakowski had a conflict of interest under state law at the time.

It was unclear Thursday night if City Council members will now vote on the sale. City Manager Zuercher could not be reached for comment, but a spokeswoman said the deal is "still on hold." An attorney for the city said Zuercher could single-handily decide to rebid the project or forward it to the council, though an attorney representing Trammell Crow and the Chavez Foundation disputed that during a meeting with two council members earlier in the day.

The report also noted that a primary factor in the decision to name Trammell Crow and the foundation as the preferred bidder was a difference in the terms for paying for the land.

Lyles, of Deco Communities, did not respond to a request for comment on Thursday. He previously said his team of developers showed Nowakowski a conceptual site plan, saying, "Anytime someone sees your plan before they create theirs, or they’re in the process of it, has to be helpful."

Nowakowski has disputed the nature of his conversation with Deco, saying they spoke more generally about the need for a grocery store and housing downtown, though he acknowledged city property on Fillmore Street was discussed at least briefly.

The report from Sanders & Parks, which notes Lyles and another partner from Deco were interviewed, states Lyles "does not claim (Trammell Crow and the Chavez Foundation) co-opted designs or ideas from (Deco), or that (they) received inside information from the councilman about Deco's plans."

"Rather, Deco believes that either the evaluation panel was unqualified or that there was some 'influence' on the panel to award the (bid) to (Trammell Crow and the Chavez Foundation)," the report states. "Regarding the latter scenario, Deco admits that it has no direct evidence that the panel was improperly influenced to favor" the recommended bid.

Sanders & Parks also notes in its report, as Nowakowski and Trammell Crow have emphasized, that Deco did not protest the bid recommendation. Lyles previously declined to comment on the decision not to file a formal protest.

"Mr. Lyles stated Deco did not file a protest because Deco believed it would be decided by the same people who, in his opinion, got it wrong in the first place," the report states. "But that belief is incorrect; the evaluation panel that made the bid recommendation would have had nothing to do with a protest."

Jim Mahoney, a senior managing director with Trammell Crow in Arizona, released a statement responding to the report. He has said no one at Trammell Crow, which took the lead role in crafting the bid, had any conversations with Nowakowski or received information from his meeting with Deco.

"The findings from Sanders (&) Parks in their independent review validates the outcome," Mahoney wrote. "The city manager's office should carefully consider the damage done on multiple fronts should they decide to rebid this opportunity."

Alfredo Izmajtovich, an executive vice president of the Cesar Chavez Foundation, released a statement thanking the city “for requesting this independent review to protect the integrity of our organization and its employees from false accusations at the hands of disgruntled competitors and from politically motivated attackers.”

biggus diggus Oct 30, 2015 9:27 PM

The elevator towers are up for the apartment building at 7/fillmore at four stories and I just noticed there is a small apartment complex being built at 10th ave and Polk, looks like a pretty modern style wood frame building, these things are starting to pop up all over the place.