SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: Transit Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101657)

Chicago3rd Sep 13, 2014 1:09 AM

The walk to the Midway from the Orange Line use to be twice as long...and for a few years it wasn't inside.

BVictor1 Sep 13, 2014 4:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin_Chicago (Post 6725790)
Is anyone aware of any future residential developments near the 51st and Garfield green line stations? I recently visited the Hyde Park campus of U of Chicago and I was surprised that the area around these transit stops have many open lots, despite the proximity to Washington park and the retail/dining scene on 53rd street.

Around 51st I'm not aware of any imminent plans right now, but there are some 3 and 6 flats going up in the northern part of the 4600 block of south Calumet near the 47th Street stop.

ardecila Sep 13, 2014 3:46 PM

As mentioned before, the Obama Library may go next to the Garfield stop. Everyone seems to think this will spur a ton of new development, I'm not so sure.

UPChicago Sep 14, 2014 2:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 6728297)
As mentioned before, the Obama Library may go next to the Garfield stop. Everyone seems to think this will spur a ton of new development, I'm not so sure.

I think its the perfect spot tbh! Garfield Blvd. has major potential and U of C has been interested in investing in this area for a while. Also logistically its next to the Green Line and a short jot from the Red Line.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin_Chicago (Post 6725790)
Is anyone aware of any future residential developments near the 51st and Garfield green line stations? I recently visited the Hyde Park campus of U of Chicago and I was surprised that the area around these transit stops have many open lots, despite the proximity to Washington park and the retail/dining scene on 53rd street.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickeNES (Post 6725889)
The plots around Garfield Green I believe are all owned by UofC and at the moment are being held as a possible location for the Obama library.

When I lived in the area in 2011-2012, I noticed that all of the buildings between 54th PL and 54th St north and south and MLK and Calumet east and west, were demolished. Most of buildings were occupied and some even newly renovated. These post inspired me to investigate and it seems like 11/7/2012 all of the parcels were bought by Lake Park Association Inc, I wonder what they have planned.

This was once proposed for that site.
http://wibiti.com/images/hpmain/550/276550.jpg

UPChicago Sep 14, 2014 3:43 AM

double post

J_M_Tungsten Sep 14, 2014 9:14 PM

Can't wait for the Lake Shore Drive redevelopment, but I know realistically it will be at least 10+ years away from starting. It will be nice to see more greenery east of the drive.
http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/t...406f4976ef.jpg

BVictor1 Sep 15, 2014 2:25 AM

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#sectio.../p2p-81368284/

International study critiques Chicago transit

Quote:

By Richard Wronski, Tribune reporter
8:21 pm, September 14, 2014

A new study by an international economic organization paints an uncomplimentary portrait of the Chicago area's transportation system, saying it suffers from too many transit agencies and fragmented local governments.

"The current state of transit ridership in Chicago is relatively depressing," concludes the report from the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, a Paris-based research agency whose backers include the world's richest nations, among them the U.S.

The report found a lack of coordination among the four transit agencies and their four separate boards as well as insufficient accountability. Those issues intensify the economic impact of congestion on Chicago, estimated at over $6 billion in 2011 by the Texas Transportation Institute, the report said.

CTA Gray Line Sep 15, 2014 8:05 AM

Transit deserts strand thousands far from jobs

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...htmlstory.html

By Tribune Graphics,
@ChiTribGraphics

"Approximately 438,500 people in Cook County live in a transit desert, an area with a high demand for transit but that is more than a half-mile from a train stop and a quarter-mile from high-quality bus service. A study of Cook County transit deserts proposes a host of projects to address the shortfalls......"

Mr Downtown Sep 15, 2014 2:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XIII in General Developments thread (Post 6729962)
If we had a single, unified group making sure people could get around, we may actually see improved service and transit expansion. Instead we can't eve get BRT on Ashland.

So tell me how this unified group would be structured; how it would decide on regional priorities. Remember that the suburbs pay 72% of the cost of transit in this region, but take only 20% of the trips. If representation is based on taxation or on population, do you think the 6 suburban members (of 9) would be voting to fund even more service in city neighborhoods?

the urban politician Sep 15, 2014 2:51 PM

^ The agency should be 1/3 suburban, 2/3 city despite the funding differential.

Why? Because the suburbs owe their prosperity to Chicago's existence. And without transit, Chicago would have become Cleveland or Detroit long ago.

The only reason I don't live outside the Midwest right now is due to Chicago's awesomeness. And I'll bet my right thumb there are a lot of other people who probably feel the same way.

LouisVanDerWright Sep 15, 2014 3:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 6730072)

Why? Because the suburbs owe their prosperity to Chicago's existence. And without transit, Chicago would have become Cleveland or Detroit long ago.

The only reason I don't live outside the Midwest right now is due to Chicago's awesomeness. And I'll bet my right thumb there are a lot of other people who probably feel the same way.

Obviously that's how it "should be", but it's clearly not how it will be. The suburbs will never agree to treat Chicago fairly as long as they hold an economic advantage in terms of their general health and the wealth of their citizens. This is why Chicago carries an unfair burden when it comes to the poor as well, most suburbs simply don't allow them into their communities. This is also why I am completely OK with an open and hostile war by the city against the suburbs until every square inch of Chicago is gentrified. Everyone likes to lament that there is no "regional gain" when Chicago poaches jobs from the suburbs, but I disagree. The suburbs are an inefficient pack of leeches on the real economic core of the region that is downtown Chicago and every job we can condense there makes the regions economy more efficient in a number of ways.

Eventually the fiscal distress and economic hardship that plagues a large swath of Chicago will migrate to the suburbs as their job clusters empty out and head downtown. At that point the suburbs might actually start being more reasonable when it comes to regional collaboration and, personally, I think will start asking to be annexed again. But this can't happen if the city continually "plays nice" with the hostiles in the collar counties.

sukwoo Sep 15, 2014 4:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 6730152)
Eventually the fiscal distress and economic hardship that plagues a large swath of Chicago will migrate to the suburbs as their job clusters empty out and head downtown. At that point the suburbs might actually start being more reasonable when it comes to regional collaboration and, personally, I think will start asking to be annexed again. But this can't happen if the city continually "plays nice" with the hostiles in the collar counties.

This is already happening in the south suburbs, but I seriously doubt it will ever happen to the North Shore. There's got to be a better way to divvy things up than waiting for economic doom to hit the suburbs.

chrisvfr800i Sep 15, 2014 4:26 PM

Quote:

The suburbs are an inefficient pack of leeches
Quote:

Eventually the fiscal distress and economic hardship that plagues a large swath of Chicago will migrate to the suburbs
You think people that live in the suburbs are blood-suckers on society and deserve economic hardships be visited upon them? That goes a bit beyond the makeup of a transit funding board. You are downright hateful if those are your true thoughts.

Sick.

XIII Sep 15, 2014 4:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 6730024)
So tell me how this unified group would be structured; how it would decide on regional priorities. Remember that the suburbs pay 72% of the cost of transit in this region, but take only 20% of the trips. If representation is based on taxation or on population, do you think the 6 suburban members (of 9) would be voting to fund even more service in city neighborhoods?

If we were in a complete fantasy world, it would be run by a central CEO/planner who is appointed by an elected oversight board of 7 people. The jurisdiction would cover the current IL area of the Chicago metropolitan area as defined by the census.

The CEO would have no term limit, but the board members would be limited to a single 6 year term. The group would be required to retain independent auditors who would conduct yearly financial audits.

CEO would set out overall transit strategy and board approves this and all capital expenditures. CEO would essentially operate like the CEO of a publicly traded company.

Pipe dream, I know

Ryanrule Sep 15, 2014 5:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 6730024)

the suburbs would not exist without the city.
the executives who live out their by their golf courses can fucking deal with it.
also, the burbs are dying. people and companies are moving to the city.

Ryanrule Sep 15, 2014 5:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisvfr800i (Post 6730226)
You think people that live in the suburbs are blood-suckers on society and deserve economic hardships be visited upon them? That goes a bit beyond the makeup of a transit funding board. You are downright hateful if those are your true thoughts.

Sick.

these are FACTS, not opinions.

deal with it.

Chi-Sky21 Sep 15, 2014 5:34 PM

Some burbs are dying but others are so large now they can be considered small cities unto themselves. 200k population for a suburb is not tiny.

chrisvfr800i Sep 15, 2014 7:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryanrule (Post 6730320)
these are FACTS, not opinions.

deal with it.

Then you're hateful and sick, too. Thank god we still have a representative form of government to temper your gestapo-like mindset.

If there MUST be a unified transit board, why not fill it based in part on where the money comes from? If your predictions of a suburban apocalypse come true, the money will all be in the city anyway.

Chi-Sky21 Sep 15, 2014 7:05 PM

I think the question should not be where the majority of the money comes from but where the majority of the rides are taken/needed. But good luck getting anyone else to think that way.

brian_b Sep 15, 2014 7:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 6730072)

If it's a single organization that serves the entire metro area, why should there be a distinction between city and suburbs?

Hundreds of thousands of suburbanites use transit every single day to get to their jobs in the Loop. Don't you trust them?