SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | BMO Tower | 727 FT | 50 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=224752)

Steely Dan Jan 22, 2020 9:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akbussey (Post 8808254)
Like a modern day AON

aon doesn't come anywhere close to taking up its entire block either.

there's lots of open plaza space on all sides of its base: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pa...5!4d-80.034783

measuring off of gmaps (so not the pinnacle of accuracy) aon's footprint is roughly 190' x 190', BMO's footprint is around 280' x 140'.

akbussey Jan 23, 2020 5:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8808267)
aon doesn't come anywhere close to taking up its entire block either.

there's lots of open plaza space on all sides of its base: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pa...5!4d-80.034783

measuring off of gmaps (so not the pinnacle of accuracy) aon's footprint is roughly 190' x 190', BMO's footprint is around 280' x 140'.

Going on a vacation to Parry Sound?

I am amazed at how huge AON seems just due to its lack of any setbacks considering how much of the block it left free for park space.

Wonder if BMO will have this same effect?

PleasantlyMidway Jan 28, 2020 5:42 PM

I hear that they may be adding floors to this tower like they did with 110 to accommodate more tenants...

Chisouthside Jan 28, 2020 5:48 PM

Nice,
Also walked by the construction site yesterday around 5pm and there's already alot of increased activity from people leaving work at the OPO. When this opens its gonna be super activated even more in that area. Hopefully theres some development on Harrison as it looks dumpy east of Canal.

lakeshoredrive Jan 28, 2020 7:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PleasantlyMidway (Post 8813745)
I hear that they may be adding floors to this tower like they did with 110 to accommodate more tenants...

would be nice if this one got to 800 ft ;)

Zapatan Jan 28, 2020 7:37 PM

Quote:

Nice, where did you hear this?

The Lurker Jan 28, 2020 11:34 PM

Quote:

Hopefully they don't remove a setback like at 110. Might as well just add another whole tier to the design. The demand clearly exists for another supertall office tower in Chicago. After this building plus Salesforce tower come onto the market we will have witnessed the absorption of something like 10 MSF of new office space in this area of downtown in just 6 or 7 years. And that doesn't include Fulton Market

HomrQT Jan 29, 2020 5:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Lurker (Post 8814162)
Hopefully they don't remove a setback like at 110. Might as well just add another whole tier to the design. The demand clearly exists for another supertall office tower in Chicago. After this building plus Salesforce tower come onto the market we will have witnessed the absorption of something like 10 MSF of new office space in this area of downtown in just 6 or 7 years. And that doesn't include Fulton Market

I remember in the mid to late 2000's there was ALOT of talk across the country about office spaces becoming obsolete and almost everyone working from home. But with the quality of some of these buildings and companies establishing more of a work/life balance, people seem to be hungrier than ever to work in a downtown office.

Steely Dan Jan 29, 2020 5:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive (Post 8813867)
would be nice if this one got to 800 ft ;)

it could happen. it all depends on how many floors they intend to add, obviously.

guesstimating a floor-to floor here, the lobby looks about 40' tall.

so 727 - 40 = 687

687 / 49 = 14' floor-to-floor

so 6 more floors would take this one to ~810' tall.

when 110 N wacker got its little height bump, i believe they added 4 floors, and even that would still bump this one up to ~780' tall.

aaron38 Jan 30, 2020 1:16 AM

They should add six floors. It has the location, the closest competing office tower is blocks away without much risk of new competition. And this is brand new modern space. The Old Post Office has tons of space, but this has windows and views. Looks like good ROI to me to grow this one more.

Zapatan Jan 30, 2020 2:33 AM

Quote:

The demand clearly exists for another supertall office tower in Chicago. After this building plus Salesforce tower come onto the market we will have witnessed the absorption of something like 10 MSF of new office space in this area of downtown in just 6 or 7 years. And that doesn't include Fulton Market

Yea, I wish it actually manifested itself in a supertall or two instead of several 7-800 foot boxes. Still good news about the potential height increase though.

rivernorthlurker Jan 30, 2020 4:25 AM

Quote:

It's been a lot, not quite 10 million. This article give a really nice rundown of office space added in regions through the US and in major business districts in the last 10 years. Chicago is lucky in that much of it's office development has been in it's core business districts. Chicago's central growth in spite of it's slight population decline has been really impressive. Instead of a bunch of small developments, it's being driven by large projects.

https://www.commercialcafe.com/blog/...e-in-10-years/

Quote:

Chicago is also one of only a few markets to see substantial growth in its CBD. It added 10 properties and 7.8 million square feet of office space to the Loop and River North, including the 1.2 million-square-foot 150 North Riverside Plaza.

The Lurker Jan 30, 2020 5:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker (Post 8815569)
It's been a lot, not quite 10 million. This article give a really nice rundown of office space added in regions through the US and in major business districts in the last 10 years. Chicago is lucky in that much of it's office development has been in it's core business districts. Chicago's central growth in spite of it's slight population decline has been really impressive. Instead of a bunch of small developments, it's being driven by large projects.

I clarified that AFTER DELIVERY of BMO and Salesforce tower we will be very near or over 10 million SF. Starting with Riverpoint which delivered in 2017 and within 1 block of the South branch we're looking at (approximately);

Riverpoint, 1 MSF
151 N. Franklin, 800,000 SF
150 N. Riverside, 1.2 MSF
Old Post Office, 2.8 MSF
110 N wacker, 1.5 MSF
BMO tower, 1.5 MSF (perhaps more if floors are added)
Salesforce, 1.2 MSF

That's 10 million square feet right there. And if Salesforce Delivers in 2023 as projected it will have taken just six short years. It's hard to believe.

rivernorthlurker Jan 30, 2020 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Lurker (Post 8815607)
I clarified that AFTER DELIVERY of BMO and Salesforce tower we will be very near or over 10 million SF. Starting with Riverpoint which delivered in 2017 and within 1 block of the South branch we're looking at (approximately);

Riverpoint, 1 MSF
151 N. Franklin, 800,000 SF
150 N. Riverside, 1.2 MSF
Old Post Office, 2.8 MSF
110 N wacker, 1.5 MSF
BMO tower, 1.5 MSF (perhaps more if floors are added)
Salesforce, 1.2 MSF

That's 10 million square feet right there. And if Salesforce Delivers in 2023 as projected it will have taken just six short years. It's hard to believe.

Apologies for my sloppy read. Ironically my initial skepticism validates your point that it really IS hard to believe.

KWillChicago Feb 1, 2020 12:31 AM

Via webcam they got drill rigs and concrete trucks moving 6:15pm tonight. How late are these guys working?

SteelMonkey Feb 1, 2020 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWillChicago (Post 8817670)
Via webcam they got drill rigs and concrete trucks moving 6:15pm tonight. How late are these guys working?

They were drilling to 8 and finally wrapped up around 9:30pm.

SolarWind Feb 2, 2020 11:36 PM

January 29, 2020

SamInTheLoop Feb 4, 2020 9:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8814826)
it could happen. it all depends on how many floors they intend to add, obviously.

guesstimating a floor-to floor here, the lobby looks about 40' tall.

so 727 - 40 = 687

687 / 49 = 14' floor-to-floor

so 6 more floors would take this one to ~810' tall.

when 110 N wacker got its little height bump, i believe they added 4 floors, and even that would still bump this one up to ~780' tall.

I'm not sure if many folks realize just how common adding floors once construction has begun on office towers has been this cycle. If I recall correctly, each of RiverPoint, 150 N Riverside, and 110 N Wacker have had this happen. I'd have to go back and scour the web for confirmation that in all cases it was technically after groundbreaking and not just prior....but I believe I'm right here. It's become almost the standard operating model for office developers to have the final size be somewhat flexible (likely within a relatively small range of 4-6 floors I'd imagine) where if they can hit a certain leasing economic threshold, or there's an opportunity to accommodate an additional tenant that is ready to sign just prior to - or in early stages of construction - they can tack on some leasable space to the project. I'm sure they have multiple versions that have been readied to very advanced stages so they can be quickly switched to once the call is made.

bhawk66 Feb 5, 2020 5:00 AM

There are some major projects this winter in the foundation phase. This should be a fun summer for building construction fans as things start going up, up, up this spring. It's amazing what's happening in Chi-town.

SolarWind Feb 13, 2020 1:55 AM

February 12, 2020

New Hudson Facades (NHF) - Renderings courtesy of Goettsch Partners
https://newhudsonfacades.com/projects/310-south-canal-street/