SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

pbenjamin Nov 5, 2015 5:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 7224508)
If I'm reading this right, there may be some consideration of tearing down the theater and replacing it with housing. Having some apartments there might help create steady traffic to support the businesses inside the center, many of which experience feast-or-famine conditions depending on what events or conventions are occurring nearby.

I hope not. We go to the theatres regularly, the only reason we ever go to Arizona Center.

CrestedSaguaro Nov 5, 2015 6:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 7224508)
If I'm reading this right, there may be some consideration of tearing down the theater and replacing it with housing. Having some apartments there might help create steady traffic to support the businesses inside the center, many of which experience feast-or-famine conditions depending on what events or conventions are occurring nearby.

I sure hope not. The nearest theater is Esplanade and with the influx of new residents that are getting ready to be in Downtown after the completion of several projects, I think this will inject new life into the theater. There are plenty of open corners and a paved parking lot at AZ Center that they could easily add apartments and fix a lot of the street facing entrances. The theater should stay.

azsunsurfer Nov 5, 2015 6:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soleri (Post 7224494)
Phoenix doesn't need to become a great city like Chicago or LA.

FTFY.

Yes...we don't need their murder rates :)

crwhiteinaz Nov 5, 2015 6:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbenjamin (Post 7224521)
I hope not. We go to the theatres regularly, the only reason we ever go to Arizona Center.

Its the only reason I go there too. However, I have no idea how that theater has remained in business with the lack of traffic it gets. About 50% of the time when I'm there with my kids, we are the ONLY people in the theater. So, while its nice to have the place to ourselves, that space could probably serve a much better purpose.

azsunsurfer Nov 5, 2015 6:09 PM

I do remember a hotel being proposed for the north eastern corner where there is a surface lot a few years back. I thought it was a Marriott. Maybe AMC is mulling closing its operations down? Didn't they stop showing films in some of their screens?

azsunsurfer Nov 5, 2015 6:14 PM

Maybe JJ could draw us a pretty picture of what could be!

combusean Nov 5, 2015 6:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsunsurfer (Post 7224544)

LA has a lower murder rate than Phoenix looking at most recent 2013 data.

Anyways, I'm *super excited* to see the sale of Arizona Center. I'm almost annoyed it was owned by the seller for so long--durrr, let's put some signs on the outside and lose $4 million.

Parallel seems like it has the money to pull something off.

soleri Nov 5, 2015 7:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsunsurfer (Post 7224544)

Chicago is a great city. You apparently have never been there although if you were, you might realize there were two Chicagos: the one with one of the world's most spectacular downtowns, and the old one with bad slums and a big underclass. I'd gladly put up with the latter to have the former. Otherwise, you're just living in red-state hell.

azsunsurfer Nov 5, 2015 8:10 PM

I've been there several times. You can keep it. I watched a mugging in "safe" hipsterdom of Wicker Park and an assault in "Boys Town." I wish people lived in reality some times. Phoenix's crime problems are the result of our border prolapse..the one with CA...

exit2lef Nov 5, 2015 8:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsunsurfer (Post 7224552)
I do remember a hotel being proposed for the north eastern corner where there is a surface lot a few years back. I thought it was a Marriott. Maybe AMC is mulling closing its operations down? Didn't they stop showing films in some of their screens?

I don't know about the utilization of the screens, but from the outside, the theater looks neglected. The exterior ticket windows are often unattended with a sign directing customers to go inside to buy tickets. It's definitely not being maintained at the same level as the Esplanade or Centerpoint.

azsunsurfer Nov 5, 2015 8:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 7224748)
I don't know about the utilization of the screens, but from the outside, the theater looks neglected. The exterior ticket windows are often unattended with a sign directing customers to go inside to buy tickets. It's definitely not being maintained at the same level as the Esplanade or Centerpoint.

Does anyone else think Downtown Phoenix is near the demand point for an iPIC or an AMC like the one at the esplanade? Basically a higher end dine-in theater? I think one would do well Downtown. Since Harkins is unveiling a new concept in Downtown Chandler to replace Alamo Drafthouse, I can definitely see one doing well in Central Phoenix.

soleri Nov 5, 2015 8:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsunsurfer (Post 7224746)
I've been there several times. You can keep it. I watched a mugging in "safe" hipsterdom of Wicker Park and an assault in "Boys Town." I wish people lived in reality some times. Phoenix's crime problems are the result of our border prolapse..the one with CA...

We all "see" things. I saw a gun pull out a handgun from a moving car and discharging it in the direction of my head. In Phoenix.

All great American cities are deep blue. All mediocre cities are either light blue like Phoenix or red like Lubbock and Wichita. You want safety, stay in your all-white suburb.

azsunsurfer Nov 5, 2015 8:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soleri (Post 7224752)
We all "see" things. I saw a gun pull out a handgun from a moving car and discharging it in the direction of my head. In Phoenix.

You want safety, stay in your all-white suburb.

I'm glad I'm not the racist :)

PHX31 Nov 5, 2015 8:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsunsurfer (Post 7224759)
I'm glad I'm not the racist :)

I just want to live where guns don't pull out their own handguns.

azsunsurfer Nov 5, 2015 8:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 7224770)
I just want to live where guns don't pull out their own handguns.

You won't have to worry about that in Chicago, there's a gun ban there LOL

combusean Nov 5, 2015 9:45 PM

I already don't like where this LA vs Chicago vs Phoenix discussion is going.

It's also wildly offtopic, and city-vs-city discussions are generally frowned upon by the admins because nothing good comes out of them.

azsunsurfer Nov 5, 2015 9:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 7224897)
I already don't like where this LA vs Chicago vs Phoenix discussion is going.

It's also wildly offtopic, and city-vs-city discussions are generally frowned upon by the admins because nothing good comes out of them.

AGREED!

Anyway I have worked on several projects with Parallel Capital...they have been on a buying spree here in Phoenix and CA. They are a small private firm but with a lot of equity partners. They bought City Square in Midtown and told me they have plans for revitalizing that big plaza between the towers as well as adding more retail that embraces the plaza (i.e. restaurants).

phoenixwillrise Nov 5, 2015 11:04 PM

Theatres downtown

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsunsurfer (Post 7224916)
AGREED!

Anyway I have worked on several projects with Parallel Capital...they have been on a buying spree here in Phoenix and CA. They are a small private firm but with a lot of equity partners. They bought City Square in Midtown and told me they have plans for revitalizing that big plaza between the towers as well as adding more retail that embraces the plaza (i.e. restaurants).

Although it would be a step backward it would beat having nothing if they just rehabbed it really nice and reduced it to a 6 plex and call it a day for now that would probably work. You have people moving in and the momentum is picking up plus during the school year you have students.

mdpx Nov 5, 2015 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise (Post 7225023)
Although it would be a step backward it would beat having nothing if they just rehabbed it really nice and reduced it to a 6 plex and call it a day for now that would probably work. You have people moving in and the momentum is picking up plus during the school year you have students.

I seem to remember, when there was a lot of discussion about reviving AZ Center by orientating it out (which never happened), but there was talk of cutting the theatre space in half (it's still to big in my opinion) and utilizing the space for something else. I'm sure AMC would have pulled out long ago if they weren't somehow making money. I think a theater, even one much smaller, is a great amenity to that area with all those new apartments being built. Just think of the hundreds of apartments are being built within walking distance- it's a no-brainer!

TheSawg Nov 5, 2015 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsunsurfer (Post 7224751)
Does anyone else think Downtown Phoenix is near the demand point for an iPIC or an AMC like the one at the esplanade? Basically a higher end dine-in theater? I think one would do well Downtown. Since Harkins is unveiling a new concept in Downtown Chandler to replace Alamo Drafthouse, I can definitely see one doing well in Central Phoenix.

I agree 100%. Even though the closest theater is the Arizona Center theater, I still always go to the Esplanade. I's worth the price for a full service bar, better food and better seating. The biggest problem I have with the Esplanade is it isn't on the light rail.