SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

biggus diggus Mar 4, 2020 5:58 PM

of course you can find them, I just gave an example of those types of people. They are very few and far between.

fawd Mar 5, 2020 12:26 AM

Well, looking at the article... they say their units will be going for around $3 per square foot. So that means the penthouses will be upwards of 3,500 square feet.

Penthouses at 44 Monroe barely crack 2,000 square feet.

So if the PH's here are actually that massive, the price isn't TOO far off.

Also - there are homes in the Camelback area that rent for upwards of $40k per month. Obviously a mansion in that primo location is totally different than an apartment, but $10k really isn't that eye-popping.

fawd Mar 5, 2020 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8850509)
Derby is supposed to get a public webcam up soon

Still can't believe Derby is actually happening! :cheers:

xymox Mar 5, 2020 2:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8850725)
That's a tough sell. Will need to see income of around $30K/mo to qualify for that rent. I don't know many $350K/yr earners who wouldn't just buy a condo or house. Those who wouldn't are presumably contract workers who anticipate moving to a new location and don't want to "feel tied down" or retirees who don't want the perceived responsibility. I'm sure there could be a corporate renter as well, but this isn't for most people in my opinion.

Athletes who are new to two and looking for a place to stay. Though that location lacks any of the niceties of say the waterfront in Scottsdale or Kierland itself so...strange.:shrug:

fawd Mar 5, 2020 3:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xymox (Post 8850978)
Athletes who are new to two and looking for a place to stay. Though that location lacks any of the niceties of say the waterfront in Scottsdale or Kierland itself so...strange.:shrug:

You dont have to play for the Suns to afford a 10k appartment. :shrug:

DesertRay Mar 5, 2020 12:00 PM

I think they'll rent it

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8850742)
I'm sure out of a 5+ million Metro, they will find a few takers ;)

It is a pretty much *perfect* location for a few people. On light rail, a straight shot down Camelback. Perfect views of the city and the mountains. Next to Groceries and some really great restaurants. If they get the amenities right, it is a great empty nest place, or a place for a high income person who doesn't want to fuss with details (lawyer, CEO type). Entertaining folks in your apartment with perfect views or on the roof would be easy.

PHX31 Mar 5, 2020 2:15 PM

A few things I noticed downtown yesterday:

-There is a brand new drive up BofA ATM right on 1st Ave next to the YMCA building. This must have been a deal with ASU - they tore down that little mid-century building/ATM on the corner of 1st Ave/Fillmore to construct the new ASU building, BofA got a new ATM down the street. Hopefully this new ATM will eventually be removed and is just temporary.

-The Firestone service center on 3rd Ave/Van Buren has closed. Eventually I'd imagine the building will be demo'd for something, but it has some art deco details and would be a cool building to get repurposed. Hopefully it remains.

-The Eco Phoenix project on the SWC of 3rd Ave/Roosevelt is totally dormant. The lot was razed, signs were put up, but now there is no activity and there are 2 foot tall weeds all over the lot. What's the deal with that project? Anyone?

Obadno Mar 5, 2020 2:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 8851308)

-The Firestone service center on 3rd Ave/Van Buren has closed. Eventually I'd imagine the building will be demo'd for something, but it has some art deco details and would be a cool building to get repurposed. Hopefully it remains.

-The Eco Phoenix project on the SWC of 3rd Ave/Roosevelt is totally dormant. The lot was razed, signs were put up, but now there is no activity and there are 2 foot tall weeds all over the lot. What's the deal with that project? Anyone?

Hopefully all of those motels and repair shops on van buren are not long for this world and will be torn down soon.

Eco I have no idea I think Link was proposed, built and occupied and now phase 2 is already under construction since ECO was first announced.

I dont have a lot of faith on this one but who knows somehow a bunch of projects I never expected to start are moving.

ASU Diablo Mar 5, 2020 3:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8851359)
Hopefully all of those motels and repair shops on van buren are not long for this world and will be torn down soon.

Eco I have no idea I think Link was proposed, built and occupied and now phase 2 is already under construction since ECO was first announced.

I dont have a lot of faith on this one but who knows somehow a bunch of projects I never expected to start are moving.

There was supposed to be a groundbreaking ceremony last month but due to weather, it was pushed back. Latest I've heard, it's breaking ground later this month. This one is happening.

ASU Diablo Mar 5, 2020 3:25 PM

Quote:

I had always hoped for a The Yard type concept in either the Firestone or the Sun Devil Auto shop next to Crescent Balroom. That would be cool.

Obadno Mar 5, 2020 3:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 8851389)
I had always hoped for a The Yard type concept in either the Firestone or the Sun Devil Auto shop next to Crescent Balroom. That would be cool.

I always thought Crescent might just expand into it.

CrestedSaguaro Mar 5, 2020 4:06 PM

Quote:

-There is a brand new drive up BofA ATM right on 1st Ave next to the YMCA building. This must have been a deal with ASU - they tore down that little mid-century building/ATM on the corner of 1st Ave/Fillmore to construct the new ASU building, BofA got a new ATM down the street. Hopefully this new ATM will eventually be removed and is just temporary.

The ATM drive-through is supposed to just be temporary. I had thought the original plan was to place it a spot back in it's spot integrated into the ASU tower. But after looking at the renderings and site plans, I see nowhere for the ATM to be located. So I do not know what the end result will be once the tower is completed.

ECO was supposed to break ground last month, but was delayed due to weather supposedly. It is re-scheduled to break ground mid-March. There are a couple of signs on the fence with the new date for ground-breaking.

PHXFlyer11 Mar 5, 2020 4:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 8851389)

Agree! Always felt the same. What a great patio that would be with the overhang. Maybe a brewery with plenty of outdoor space (Fate did this in Tempe), or a SIP downtown?

ASU Diablo Mar 5, 2020 4:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8851394)
I always thought Crescent might just expand into it.

True. But then you are increasing the capacity of the venue at Crescent Ballroom as well and probably then starts competing w/ its sister venue, The Van Buren.

As last described by Levy, Valley Bar (smaller shows), Crescent (medium-sized) and then the larger music acts to go Van Buren. I like the intimacy of Crescent right now.

Obadno Mar 5, 2020 4:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 8851441)
Agree! Always felt the same. What a great patio that would be with the overhang. Maybe a brewery with plenty of outdoor space (Fate did this in Tempe), or a SIP downtown?

A downtown SIP would be great there.

ASU Diablo Mar 5, 2020 4:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8851452)
A downtown SIP would be great there.

With a downtown UnderTow too! :cheers:

biggus diggus Mar 5, 2020 4:47 PM

No reason to believe ECO isn't happening. Their permits are all ready go as soon as they are paid, and while the permits not being paid might mean something, it probably doesn't.

muertecaza Mar 5, 2020 5:20 PM

Quote:

Pretty sure the Firestone building is on the National Register of Historic Places, so I don't think it's going anywhere.

exit2lef Mar 5, 2020 5:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muertecaza (Post 8851565)
Pretty sure the Firestone building is on the National Register of Historic Places, so I don't think it's going anywhere.

I hope it stays around and becomes a brewery or music venue. West Van Buren is really starting to blossom, and this could be another contributor to its vitality.

CrestedSaguaro Mar 5, 2020 5:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muertecaza (Post 8851565)

Correct. The register shows the building have been built in 1925 and was added to the registry in 1985. I would see a large fight from the local historians if they attempt to raze it.

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/75608545

Edit: Added the link if anyone wants to check it out.