SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

exit2lef Apr 10, 2017 10:14 PM

Restaurant Relocation

This is good news. I always wondered why the people behind the Breadfruit opened their sandwich shop in the hinterlands of Scottsdale and Shea, but as the article says, "We knew that eventually we would have to come back downtown."

http://www.azcentral.com/story/enter...nix/100287332/

Jjs5056 Apr 11, 2017 4:34 AM

Without the residential tower, Block 23 is essentially a grocery store with 3 levels of office space above. The site plan was already underwhelming; without a single tower, it will turn into a total waste. And, without the residential units there or at Barrister, the location becomes completely disconnected from the major apartment projects.

The Westward Ho had its contract expanded last year; it will be HUD housing for our lifetimes. Rather than in downtown Tempe, imagine ASU constructed its senior housing towers on the PBC, allowing for the City to take ownership and RFP the Ho? I hate that the Westward Ho and Security Building are so underutilized.

Too bad "The Blocks" project didn't take ownership of the abandoned homes scattered along 4th 5th and 6th streets- the home adjacent to Bliss, the Duplex to its southeast, the corners of Garfield and 5th St, and Roosevelt/6th Street. Seeing those activated would have done much more for RR than casting away businesses like GrowHouse. Seeing the much more ambitious arts-related openings on Grand and in Garfield makes it fairly obvious that RR is no longer much of an arts district... it will be a dense, urban neighborhood, but I wish the creative small shops and galleries could have stayed.

There is a hearing for "Portland 4" for the lot on 3rd St/Portland across Continental Apts.

muertecaza Apr 11, 2017 6:23 PM

FAA Obstruction Evaluation for 3rd St./Pierce Phase 1 tower lists height as 350 ft. :yes:

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...desc&pageNum=1

ASU Diablo Apr 11, 2017 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 7769058)
Without the residential tower, Block 23 is essentially a grocery store with 3 levels of office space above. The site plan was already underwhelming; without a single tower, it will turn into a total waste. And, without the residential units there or at Barrister, the location becomes completely disconnected from the major apartment projects.

Holy crap can you at least wait until some confirmation before shtting on the whole project? Who has even said that Barrister is dead? Source? Typical Jjs doom & gloom... :koko:

biggus diggus Apr 11, 2017 10:52 PM

Some of you get pretty worked up over speculating if something will be built or not

ASU Diablo Apr 11, 2017 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7769988)
Some of you get pretty worked up over speculating if something will be built or not

lol calm down, no need to get your panties in a bunch. I'm simply stating that it is too early to bemoan/shit on project while we don't have ALL of the pertinent information. If Block 23 residential project is scrapped, then hey I agree with Jjs' opinion that it will be a total waste. Until then, no need for a "sky is falling" rant.

dtnphx Apr 11, 2017 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7737395)
This may turn out to be nothing but rumor in the neighborhood is West Elm is opening a store at 817 N Central. The downstairs space is currently occupied by Atmosphere which is a commercial interior furniture and design store.

It is true the address has an active building permit for second floor interior construction, this could be consistent with Atmosphere moving to the second floor allowing West Elm to move in downstairs. West Elm does have some online employment ads posted for a General Manager and Assistant Managers for a new "upcoming" store in Phoenix.

If true, this is it fellas. If West Elm, which is Williams Sonoma's furniture store, opens in Downtown Phoenix, prepare to see a massive influx of new chain retail locations. Yuppie moms in Land Rover Evoques with their "kiddos" and "puppers" in the back seat are on their way.

West Elm is opening a store at Uptown Plaza.
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/arts/...-plaza-9227943

Phxguy Apr 12, 2017 4:18 PM

Chico Malo, the taqueria which was originally planned to open in December at Cityscape, is opening this Friday. Good stuff!

http://www.azcentral.com/story/enter...nix/100311456/

fawd Apr 12, 2017 4:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 7770768)
Chico Malo, the taqueria which was originally planned to open in December at Cityscape, is opening this Friday. Good stuff!

http://www.azcentral.com/story/enter...nix/100311456/

Soft opening has been going on for a couple days. Food there is good!!!

Jjs5056 Apr 13, 2017 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 7770022)
lol calm down, no need to get your panties in a bunch. I'm simply stating that it is too early to bemoan/shit on project while we don't have ALL of the pertinent information. If Block 23 residential project is scrapped, then hey I agree with Jjs' opinion that it will be a total waste. Until then, no need for a "sky is falling" rant.

You're right. Just looked like every project hit a snag which sucked. And, I am just not a big fan of the megaproject... Barrister and Derby seem way more exciting for downtown but that is just my opinion.

fawd Apr 13, 2017 3:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 7771738)
You're right. Just looked like every project hit a snag which sucked. And, I am just not a big fan of the megaproject... Barrister and Derby seem way more exciting for downtown but that is just my opinion.

The only project that hit a snag is the Derby. And for the record, it's not dead yet either.

Barrister is still, and has always been, 8-12 months away from starting construction.

It's ALL good for downtown!

ASU Diablo Apr 13, 2017 3:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawd (Post 7771900)
The only project that hit a snag is the Derby. And for the record, it's not dead yet either.

Barrister is still, and has always been, 8-12 months away from starting construction.

It's ALL good for downtown!

:cheers:

fawd Apr 13, 2017 6:21 PM

There is a new bar going into the old Downtown Deli. Got a quick peek of the construction, looks cool on the inside. Very narrow/long space - bar all along left side. Exposed brick etc. very intimate feeling.

Central/Monroe area is on fire...

exit2lef Apr 13, 2017 6:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawd (Post 7772216)
There is a new bar going into the old Downtown Deli. Got a quick peek of the construction, looks cool on the inside. Very narrow/long space - bar all along left side. Exposed brick etc. very intimate feeling.

Any word on its name and if it will serve food as well?

I agree about Central / Monroe. I ate at CPC last night and the whole corner seemed bustling.

Phxguy Apr 13, 2017 6:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawd (Post 7772216)

Yes!! I've seen the divider in front of the old Deli space and was wondering if that meant new retail. Thanks for the confirmation! Come 2 am, that corner is still bustling between Valley Bar, Seamus McCaffrey's, Cornish Pasty, and Melinda's Alley. Any idea what the name of the place will be?

PHXFlyer11 Apr 13, 2017 7:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 7772234)
Yes!! I've seen the divider in front of the old Deli space and was wondering if that meant new retail. Thanks for the confirmation! Come 2 am, that corner is still bustling between Valley Bar, Seamus McCaffrey's, Cornish Pasty, and Melinda's Alley. Any idea what the name of the place will be?

I wish there were a little land there for someone to build a high-rise residential tower with ground floor retail. Then we'd really be in business!

Phxguy Apr 13, 2017 7:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 7772339)
I wish there were a little land there for someone to build a high-rise residential tower with ground floor retail. Then we'd really be in business!

I've drawn up a few possibilities (on slow days) of a mid-rise being built over the existing corner building on Central/Monroe using it for the foundation and retaining the businesses in it. But I severely doubt the possibility of that. I'm sure we'd sooner see wrecking balls. I mean, we're all familiar with the Luhrs Central Building and its inability to support any part of the Marriott, granted, that was a high-rise. .

exit2lef Apr 14, 2017 12:59 PM

Update on the project at 3rd St. & Pierce, as well as details on GPLET changes:

http://downtowndevil.com/2017/04/14/...y-secure-gplet

fawd Apr 14, 2017 4:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 7773122)

Everyone needs to read this. Good explanations of the GPLET situation. Few key takeaways:

1) A grandfathering provision will allow CA Ventures to secure former GPLET standards if approved. At the formal council meeting next week, Mackay said city staff will recommend the development receive a 20-year GPLET agreement.

2) Development projects that apply for GPLET at the beginning of this year onward, however, will face tighter standards to receive the tax incentive as well as changes to some of its terms. (meaning every project approved prior to Jan 1, is not affected by new GPLET reform bill).

CrestedSaguaro Apr 14, 2017 4:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawd (Post 7773312)
Everyone needs to read this. Good explanations of the GPLET situation. Few key takeaways:

1) A grandfathering provision will allow CA Ventures to secure former GPLET standards if approved. At the formal council meeting next week, Mackay said city staff will recommend the development receive a 20-year GPLET agreement.

2) Development projects that apply for GPLET at the beginning of this year onward, however, will face tighter standards to receive the tax incentive as well as changes to some of its terms. (meaning every project approved prior to Jan 1, is not affected by new GPLET reform bill).

So, what's the gist with Derby then? They applied for and was granted a GPLET last summer. As far as the Barry Goldwater lawsuit, I believe that is against the City of Phoenix and not directly against the Derby developers, so why has Derby stalled?