SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

fawd Jun 12, 2020 8:53 PM

Jordan is the GOAT, c'mon nobody is debating that. 😅🤣😂

biggus diggus Jun 12, 2020 8:56 PM

Not us, but I have had so many admins working for me over the years who are on team LeBron. Damned Gen Z'ers.

combusean Jun 12, 2020 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downtownphxguy12 (Post 8950128)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawd View Post
But either way. I'm fine with them tearing this particular one down.
You’re fine with it? Well that’s a fucking relief if YOUR fine wit it. What other historic building need to be razed to keep your skyscraper hardon from going soft?

No comment from the moderator for these comments?

I don't moderate arguments that involve me because of the conflict of interest. Use the report feature.

Phxguy Jun 13, 2020 12:07 AM

Good news, according to FB, the Steinegger Lodge will be designated on the Phoenix Historic Property Register!

Here’s a link to the post itself: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...02244604599197

Item 8 on the HP agenda: https://www.phoenix.gov/cityclerksit...WbEhUBEE5O3LEs

fawd Jun 13, 2020 1:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 8950313)
Good news, according to FB, the Steinegger Lodge will be designated on the Phoenix Historic Property Register!

Not quite. It's to discuss the designation.

But a step in the right direction for those in favor!

PHXFireBirds Jun 13, 2020 2:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 8949857)
Busy agenda for this month's DVC virtual meeting.

DEVELOPMENT BUSINESS
  • Astra project at 2nd Avenue between Van Buren & Fillmore (text amendment requests) ~ Nick Wood, Snell & Wilmer (15 minutes)
  • Hubbard project at Garfield & 6th St. ~ Nick Wood, Snell & Wilmer (15 minutes)
  • 1889 Steinegger Lodging House (potential demolition) ~ Roger Brevoort, Preserve Phoenix (10 minutes)

These are now easier to make since on Zoom. I'll be sure to post any new updates related to the projects above, including Steinneger Lodge

@ASU Diablo,
Is the Hubbard project the same Garfield House apartments project that is expected to be 250-285ft high? Or does that project still belong to True North?
I remember True North sold some land in that area to Hubbard.

Thank you.

ASU Diablo Jun 13, 2020 2:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFireBirds (Post 8950403)
@ASU Diablo,
Is the Hubbard project the same Garfield House apartments project that is expected to be 250-285ft high? Or does that project still belong to True North?
I remember True North sold some land in that area to Hubbard.

Thank you.

I believe it’s the same project! I’ll know more for sure tomorrow. Hopefully they have a rendering to share.

PHXFireBirds Jun 13, 2020 2:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 8950417)
I believe it’s the same project! I’ll know more for sure tomorrow. Hopefully they have a rendering to share.

Thanks. :cheers:

azliam Jun 13, 2020 2:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 8950417)

It is the same.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...35090593&row=3

PHXFlyer11 Jun 13, 2020 11:55 PM

The ASU dorms are sure flying! Looks like it’s atleast 9 floors already. I believe there is no parking in the building so perhaps that’s why it’s able to go vertical so quickly.

ASU Diablo Jun 14, 2020 2:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 8949857)
Busy agenda for this month's DVC virtual meeting.

DEVELOPMENT BUSINESS
  • Astra project at 2nd Avenue between Van Buren & Fillmore (text amendment requests) ~ Nick Wood, Snell & Wilmer (15 minutes)
  • Hubbard project at Garfield & 6th St. ~ Nick Wood, Snell & Wilmer (15 minutes)
  • 1889 Steinegger Lodging House (potential demolition) ~ Roger Brevoort, Preserve Phoenix (10 minutes)

These are now easier to make since on Zoom. I'll be sure to post any new updates related to the projects above, including Steinneger Lodge

Quick updates I was able to capture from joining the meeting earlier this AM.
  • Astra - This one looks like it's a full go, everything moving along. Found out the main reason for adding a 2nd Northbound lane on 2nd Ave is due to the Fire Departments's request versus the anticipated influx of traffic. A Text Amendment is being submitted as well to slightly alter the path of the Taylor Street Pedestrian Paseo to better align w/ the footprint of Astra. Wasn't able to follow the discussion around this but developer supposed to release better renderings to capture the change.
  • Hubbard - They shared the same renderings as before. Developer is anticipating breaking ground 1Q 2021 and opening by Summer 2023. The one thing that did catch my attention was the parking ratio at 65%. (309 total units / only 201 parking spots). The developer did mention they believe the City's Parking Ordinance is out of date so look's like exit2left may be onto something here and is right. Based on their research and surveys of the surrounding areas and recent completed projects, 65% parking ratio is currently the sweet spot in the market and they expect for it to decrease. Not final yet but they plan on unbundling parking from the rent as well for those without dedicated parking spots.:tup:
  • Steinegger Lodging - Discussion got a little heated but it's not looking good for preservationists. There is "nothing they can do" for the building and apparently sits on a sink hole, further making it less and less likely in can be successfully rehabbed. Still a shame CSM let it sit like for almost 6 years since it took over the property in 2014. Also, the attorney Nick Wood (very douchey and condescending asshole at times) did mention supposedly CSM already has renderings in place for the space and they plan to build something. Which is strange since not too long ago they were actively trying to sell it LOL They asked if CSM was willing to hold off demolition until the proposed project moved further along and permits were approved. It was a resounding NO again, so probably just a ploy by the lawyer and his client to get away with it sitting vacant for a while or as a parking lot. We'll see what happens after Monday's HP meeting.

PHX31 Jun 14, 2020 3:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 8951058)
  • Astra - This one looks like it's a full go, everything moving along. Found out the main reason for adding a 2nd Northbound lane on 2nd Ave is due to the Fire Departments's request versus the anticipated influx of traffic. A Text Amendment is being submitted as well to slightly alter the path of the Taylor Street Pedestrian Paseo to better align w/ the footprint of Astra. Wasn't able to follow the discussion around this but developer supposed to release better renderings to capture the change.
  • Hubbard - They shared the same renderings as before. Developer is anticipating breaking ground 1Q 2021 and opening by Summer 2023. The one thing that did catch my attention was the parking ratio at 65%. (309 total units / only 201 parking spots). The developer did mention they believe the City's Parking Ordinance is out of date so look's like exit2left may be onto something here and is right. Based on their research and surveys of the surrounding areas and recent completed projects, 65% parking ratio is currently the sweet spot in the market and they expect for it to decrease. Not final yet but they plan on unbundling parking from the rent as well for those without dedicated parking spots.:tup:
  • Steinegger Lodging - Discussion got a little heated but it's not looking good for preservationists. There is "nothing they can do" for the building and apparently sits on a sink hole, further making it less and less likely in can be successfully rehabbed. Still a shame CSM let it sit like for almost 6 years since it took over the property in 2014. Also, the attorney Nick Wood (very douchey and condescending asshole at times) did mention supposedly CSM already has renderings in place for the space and they plan to build something. Which is strange since not too long ago they were actively trying to sell it LOL They asked if CSM was willing to hold off demolition until the proposed project moved further along and permits were approved. It was a resounding NO again, so probably just a ploy by the lawyer and his client to get away with it sitting vacant for a while or as a parking lot. We'll see what happens after Monday's HP meeting.

Cool, thanks for the info.

I drove into central phoenix from i-17 SB to I-10 EB via the tunnel. That's the best view of downtown. I can't wait until Astra is in the foreground taking over the skyline.

The number of cranes is awesome. Speaking of, i stopped and took a couple pics from the top of the parking garage at 7th St/I-10. That's not my fave view of downtown, but the cranes are a sight to behold, considering much of my adult life living in central phoenix had only included a crane here, and a crane there. Not the crazy influx we're seeing now.

Who can host and post my pics? DM me and ill email then to you. My pics have 8 of the 13 downtown cranes.

exit2lef Jun 14, 2020 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 8951058)

I mentioned the Hubbard project in the parking thread. Do you recall if the developer has already obtained any necessary variances for the reduced parking, or if that is something planned for later?

On Steinegger, that was a lively and heated debate. The preservationist argument was for more community involvement and exploration of alternatives. CSM and Nick Wood were basically saying there's no point when the building is damaged beyond redemption.

fawd Jun 14, 2020 2:28 PM

Sweet. Thanks for the update on the meeting.

Obadno Jun 15, 2020 3:50 PM

New Apartment complex 12th and Washington

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...ltifamily.html

Quote:

Boise, Idaho-based Hawkins Cos. is in the midst of rezoning a downtown Phoenix parcel that will pay tribute to Lincoln Ragsdale, a prominent Phoenix civil rights leader and previous owner of the site.

Plans call for building a five-story multifamily property with ground floor retail at the northwest corner of Washington and 12th streets that will be named The Ragsdale.

Hawkins is in escrow to purchase the 2.9-acre parcel as the company works its way through the rezoning process, said Jason Morris, a partner for Withey Morris PLC and zoning attorney for the project. He said he expects escrow to close contingent upon entitlements.

"Lincoln Ragsdale owned this land at one time," Morris said. "His son, Lincoln Ragsdale Jr., also is a prominent African American leader."

Ragsdale Jr. joined a virtual open house for the community and has expressed his support of the project, Morris said. Ragsdale no longer owns the land. It has gone through several owners since he last owned it and currently houses some office buildings and parking.

The $63 million project is right next to a light rail station.

Mark Hawkins, development partner for Hawkins Cos., said he didn't learn about the Ragsdale history of the property until going under contract in January.

"Not knowing much of Lincoln's story, we did some research and were captivated by the integral part he played in the desegregation and civil rights movement in Phoenix," Hawkins said. "It is important to Hawkins Cos. that we honor Lincoln Ragsdale for the profound difference he made in the Valley. Now more than ever, Hawkins Cos. wants to pay tribute to Lincoln Ragdale's lifelong dedication to equality and reform."

Hawkins said he hopes to begin construction in May 2021 and be open by the fourth quarter of 2022. He expects rental rates to range from $1,250 to $2,000.

"We loved that aspect of being at the corner light rail stop and feel like this area is up and coming for new development," he said.

Morris, who has met with neighbors on the project, said it will head to the Center City Village Planning Committee in July.

Hawkins Cos. is a family owned business started by Mark Hawkins' father, Gary Hawkins, who currently serves as owner and CEO.

After growing up in Boise, Mark Hawkins moved to Arizona to attend Arizona State University. After graduation, he moved back to Boise to help in the family business and moved back to Phoenix in 2001 to open a Tempe regional office.

The company has developed nearly 13 million square feet of projects in 27 states, including retail, hospitality, charter schools, multifamily, office and self storage.

In addition to The Ragsdale, the company is developing a 267-unit multifamily property in south Scottsdale called Southdale, Mark Hawkins said.

"This will be our fifth and sixth multifamily projects for the company," he said.
https://i.ibb.co/7vBKtp0/Ragsdale1.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/3rHHYBp/Ragsdale2.jpg

ASU Diablo Jun 15, 2020 4:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 8951258)
I mentioned the Hubbard project in the parking thread. Do you recall if the developer has already obtained any necessary variances for the reduced parking, or if that is something planned for later?

On Steinegger, that was a lively and heated debate. The preservationist argument was for more community involvement and exploration of alternatives. CSM and Nick Wood were basically saying there's no point when the building is damaged beyond redemption.

From what I understood, it's something that is planned for later.

CrestedSaguaro Jun 15, 2020 4:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 8952139)
From what I understood, it's something that is planned for later.

Do you know or did they mention if the planned Hubbard/Garfield height was to be at current lot height limit of 250' or are they going for the additional height?

ASU Diablo Jun 15, 2020 4:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 8952159)
Do you know or did they mention if the planned Hubbard/Garfield height was to be at current lot height limit of 250' or are they going for the additional height?

They are going for the additional 15' of height for a total of 265 feet :tup:

CrestedSaguaro Jun 15, 2020 5:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 8952160)
They are going for the additional height :tup:

Awesome! I wonder if Astra and Garfield getting additional heights will get future developments to start challenging downtown's current height zoning limits? I still believe most of downtown's limits are about 100' too short as compared to other cities with closer proximity to flight paths and similar height limits.

gymratmanaz Jun 15, 2020 6:29 PM

Which is Hubbard Garfield? So many projects.....hard to keep straight. What was the height originally that they are going for more?