SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Those were the days, my friends (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229163)

thewave46 Jan 31, 2022 5:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O-tacular (Post 9519795)
Hey, remember the days of this forum before 3 members held us all hostage to their never ending rants and gaslighting defending racism?

Remember when members didn’t ruin fun apolitical threads by complaining about posters in political threads?

The Toronto video is a cool throwback. Here is another Toronto throwback:

Video Link

manny_santos Jan 31, 2022 5:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wigs (Post 9519433)
How is this from 1990, because Scotia Plaza was built in 1988 and is not in the skyline footage shots?

unless it's just an agglomeration of stock footage from the 1980s lol

Most likely a bunch of stock footage from the 80s, as SkyDome is clearly completed in some shots and that opened in June 1989.

Acajack Jan 31, 2022 5:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thewave46 (Post 9520144)
Remember when members didn’t ruin fun apolitical threads by complaining about posters in political threads?

The Toronto video is a cool throwback. Here is another Toronto throwback:

Video Link

thewave46 Jan 31, 2022 6:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9520149)

Um?

Not a baseball fan I take it?

It is still a cool moment.

esquire Jan 31, 2022 6:14 PM

It is crazy to think that event is more recent than the last Stanley Cup win by a Canadian NHL team!

Acajack Jan 31, 2022 6:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thewave46 (Post 9520164)
Um?

Not a baseball fan I take it?

It is still a cool moment.

World peace will be better off because I deleted that post.

Wigs Jan 31, 2022 8:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manny_santos (Post 9520147)
Most likely a bunch of stock footage from the 80s, as SkyDome is clearly completed in some shots and that opened in June 1989.

I forgot how old SkyDome is!
I still remember my Uncle through connections got a sneak preview before it opened to the public and he was telling my Dad, brother, and myself all about it for like 20 minutes bragging about the amazing engineering of the retractable dome and how awesome it was.

The public went from "This dome is costing too much money!" to
"Wow, this is a Canadian showpiece" :D

I'm glad to hear it's being refurbished.

Gresto Jan 31, 2022 9:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O-tacular
Hey, remember the days of this forum before 3 members held us all hostage to their never ending rants and gaslighting defending racism?

True, but in complete fairness, Molson, you, Wigs, I, and others have used some threads to ridicule and lambaste assorted antediluvian slackjaws with abandon. I enjoy it, but I suppose one must tolerate one if one tolerates the other.:cheers:
Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9520180)
It is crazy to think that event is more recent than the last Stanley Cup win by a Canadian NHL team!

Hmm, I don't follow the NHL, but I was under the mistaken impression that Montreal won one or two Cups in the last 25 years.

O-tacular Jan 31, 2022 9:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gresto (Post 9520432)
True, but in complete fairness, Molson, you, Wigs, I, and others have used some threads to ridicule and lambaste assorted antediluvian slackjaws with abandon. I enjoy it, but I suppose one must tolerate one if one tolerates the other.:cheers:

Did our jokes about bowlofanuses take over several threads for dozens of pages? No. They were kept to an appropriate off topic thread.

Razor Jan 31, 2022 9:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gresto (Post 9520432)
Hmm, I don't follow the NHL, but I was under the mistaken impression that Montreal won one or two Cups in the last 25 years.

Montreal 93 was the last time..That was the year that a Toronto-Montreal final was very close..The entire playoffs that year were good actually..Lots of game 7's.

esquire Jan 31, 2022 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor (Post 9520508)
Montreal 93 was the last time..That was the year that a Toronto-Montreal final was very close..The entire playoffs that year were good actually..Lots of game 7's.

Yeah, that was in the spring of '93. The Jays won in the fall.

Stanley Cup and World Series wins in Canada in the same year... seems like a fever dream by modern standards ;)

harls Feb 14, 2022 5:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O-tacular (Post 9516719)
We had a giant Satellite dish in the early 90's. It would physically rotate to connect to the satellites and I ended up discovering that you could halt it in between and pick up pirated channels. Needless to say there were some adult content channels such as Playboy. That was pre-internet days.

I had one of those mammoth dishes too. A friend at high school did as well. He taught me the art of clicking the the buttons just off the satellite feed to receive the non-scrambled signal.

He is now a professional poker player.

harls Feb 14, 2022 5:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 9513856)
This too. I think it was paired with Three's Company:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBI6L9eOeRM

Not sure which one was on first.

They paired a lot of Beverly Hillbillies and Three's Company back to back (late 80's-early 90's).

This is why a lot of people my age from rural Manitoba know about 'grits' and the 'cee-ment pond'.

MolsonExport Feb 14, 2022 5:49 PM

the best pairings of the old days were "All in the Family" and "The Jeffersons". Great times on the tube.

ssiguy Feb 14, 2022 7:25 PM

I loved Eight Is Enough. I had such a crush on Tommy.

ssiguy Feb 28, 2022 5:31 AM

I miss going to the movies and asking for popcorn with butter and not getting "golden topping" and when they said the movie started at 7 it actually did.

Hawrylyshyn Feb 28, 2022 1:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssiguy (Post 9551322)
I miss going to the movies and asking for popcorn with butter and not getting "golden topping" and when they said the movie started at 7 it actually did.

What's "golden topping"??? :haha::shrug:

north 42 Feb 28, 2022 3:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn (Post 9551450)
What's "golden topping"??? :haha::shrug:

It’s usually melted margarine.

Razor Mar 1, 2022 11:57 AM

Don Cherry's game 7 too many men on the ice..I was in the 7th grade and had 5 bucks riding on that game with a classmate named Shawn..Big money at that time, but he paid up!.Why do I still remember that?

Also, what am I? "Madge, your hands are so soft!"

SKYSTHELIMIT Mar 3, 2022 4:55 AM

Palmolive :)