SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   CHICAGO | Post Office Redevelopment (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192697)

Kenmore Nov 22, 2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 8755829)
Hate to pile on skysoar, but the mere idea of painting limestone is suspension-worthy.

tough but fair

Jim in Chicago Nov 22, 2019 3:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 8755829)
Hate to pile on skysoar, but the mere idea of painting limestone is suspension-worthy.

The old PO is a great example of a classic US government limestone building that deserves to be restored and respected for what it was, and is.

On that note, does anyone know if there is still a thorough exterior cleaning in the works, it does still look a little grody.

Steely Dan Nov 22, 2019 3:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skysoar (Post 8755464)
Lol..no need to become hysterical.

no one is getting hysterical, you simply expressed a really strange and outlandish opinion, and people are strongly pushing back against it.

you had to have expected that.

you proposed re-cladding a spectacular limestone art deco edifice that is officially designated as a city of chicago historic landmark as well as being listed on the national register of historic places.

no one is going to agree with an opinion like that.

you might as well have proposed turning grant park into a giant oil refinery.

UPChicago Nov 22, 2019 4:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 8755829)
Hate to pile on skysoar, but the mere idea of painting limestone is suspension-worthy.

I'm reporting his post as hate speech :lynchmob:

rlw777 Nov 22, 2019 5:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolchak (Post 8755302)

Pepsi moving in puts the building at about 85% leased. That's no small feat for a 2.5 million sq ft building.

rgarri4 Nov 22, 2019 6:13 PM

Lets not forget what we could of got.

https://images2.imgbox.com/a2/19/3eN8ba22_o.jpg

https://images2.imgbox.com/0d/81/V7w1UUrG_o.jpg

https://images2.imgbox.com/1a/05/kXRoQbBL_o.jpg

Baronvonellis Nov 22, 2019 7:29 PM

Maybe someday, the Post Office will sell the new post office building next door and then someone will turn that into offices too. Then there would be the Old old Post Office and the Old Post Office. Those towers next to the Post Office could still be built!

UPChicago Nov 27, 2019 3:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baronvonellis (Post 8756427)
Maybe someday, the Post Office will sell the new post office building next door and then someone will turn that into offices too. Then there would be the Old old Post Office and the Old Post Office. Those towers next to the Post Office could still be built!

You mean like someone could raze it and build office towers there?

jjk113 Nov 27, 2019 4:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8756122)
no one is getting hysterical, you simply expressed a really strange and outlandish opinion, and people are strongly pushing back against it.

you had to have expected that.

you proposed re-cladding a spectacular limestone art deco edifice that is officially designated as a city of chicago historic landmark as well as being listed on the national register of historic places.

no one is going to agree with an opinion like that.

you might as well have proposed turning grant park into a giant oil refinery.

........how about a coal mine ? :D:D:D

RedCorsair87 Nov 27, 2019 4:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baronvonellis (Post 8756427)
Maybe someday, the Post Office will sell the new post office building next door and then someone will turn that into offices too. Then there would be the Old old Post Office and the Old Post Office. Those towers next to the Post Office could still be built!

Nice height, but we could do better design wise.

I imagine those train tracks will eventually get capped and built upon. In two or three decades.

Skyguy_7 Dec 16, 2019 7:01 PM

I'm hearing rumblings of one of the food suppliers to Home Chef taking a large amount of space in this building for "manufacturing" ie cooking of Home Chef meals. Big if true!

Jim in Chicago Dec 16, 2019 8:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 8777411)
I'm hearing rumblings of one of the food suppliers to Home Chef taking a large amount of space in this building for "manufacturing" ie cooking of Home Chef meals. Big if true!

Interesting. But, just for the record, there will be no "cooking". The kits come to you with the raw ingredients. There is certainly assembly and packaging involved, but no cooking as such.

Skyguy_7 Dec 17, 2019 6:05 AM

^Home Chef is pre-cooked. Other options like Hello Fresh and Blue Apron are cooked entirely at home. Another tell tale is the largest grease duct I’ve ever heard of, 12’x12’, was recently installed for “future” use.

SteelMonkey Dec 17, 2019 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 8778070)
^Home Chef is pre-cooked. Other options like Hello Fresh and Blue Apron are cooked entirely at home. Another tell tale is the largest grease duct I’ve ever heard of, 12’x12’, was recently installed for “future” use.

Home Chefs meal kit delivery is raw ingredients. Only their new "Heat and Eat" retail option is pre-cooked.

jjk113 Dec 17, 2019 5:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelMonkey (Post 8778144)
Home Chefs meal kit delivery is raw ingredients. Only their new "Heat and Eat" retail option is pre-cooked.

I'm getting hungry ! :D:D:D:D

Baronvonellis Dec 17, 2019 5:20 PM

Does anyone know when the food hall at the post office is going to open? I work near there and would like to eat there at lunch time.

gebs Dec 17, 2019 5:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baronvonellis (Post 8778389)
Does anyone know when the food hall at the post office is going to open? I work near there and would like to eat there at lunch time.

That makes two of us. There's also construction happening on the west side of Union Station, where another food hall will go.

Union Station to build new food hall in long-vacant space

jonesrmj Dec 27, 2019 6:10 PM

Has Phase 1 of this project started? I've herd a lot about this project and I don't know if it's cancelled, envisioned, or has started yet.

LouisVanDerWright Dec 27, 2019 6:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonesrmj (Post 8785491)
Has Phase 1 of this project started? I've herd a lot about this project and I don't know if it's cancelled, envisioned, or has started yet.

Lol where have you been? They pretty much leased the entire building and are already delivering space. Pretty incredible pace for a project of this size...

jonesrmj Dec 27, 2019 7:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 8785498)
Lol where have you been? They pretty much leased the entire building and are already delivering space. Pretty incredible pace for a project of this size...

I know, I'm sorry for asking a dumb question. I just wasn't sure what had been going on because I've seen so many sources saying different things. Are they still doing the plans with the massive skyscrapers or not?


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.