SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

SIGSEGV Apr 4, 2021 6:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 9238000)
I understand that argument, however, I don't trust our politicians or the media. I saw an article yesterday saying indoor dining may be banned again in parts of Illinois because of increased hospitalizations! Somehow Illinois could handle 12,000 cases a day a few months ago but now hospitalizations are becoming a huge issue with 2,000 cases a day? I am not buying it.

It's the trend. 2,000 cases / day is fine, but exponential growth requires applying restrictions before they seem necessary, otherwise it will be too late.

craigs Apr 4, 2021 7:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9238006)
Those countries in East Asia all had some level of pre-existing immunity due to exposure to similar viruses in the past. I am absolutely convinced of that.

Crackpot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9238008)
So what, I have to be locked up for a year and prevented from doing anything that I enjoy

Thoughts 'n' prayers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhays (Post 9238109)
Visiting this thread occasionally...10023 just keeps going with the alternate reality delusions. It's too bad this know-everything savior isn't in charge!

Nobody knows more about everything, especially things that are not proven true, than Lord Pretend.

jtown,man Apr 4, 2021 8:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 9238169)
It's the trend. 2,000 cases / day is fine, but exponential growth requires applying restrictions before they seem necessary, otherwise it will be too late.

I understand that but our growth in cases is barely growing, absolutely nothing like what is going on in Michigan for instance.

SIGSEGV Apr 4, 2021 8:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 9238263)
I understand that but our growth in cases is barely growing, absolutely nothing like what is going on in Michigan for instance.

Sure, but there are no new restrictions going on now, just a warning that if the rate continues to grow, new restrictions may be forthcoming.

10023 Apr 5, 2021 1:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigs (Post 9238246)
Crackpot.

Thoughts 'n' prayers.

Nobody knows more about everything, especially things that are not proven true, than Lord Pretend.

I can absolutely assure you that I do not give a shit about your sympathy or lack thereof, or your hypochondria, or your well-being.

LA21st Apr 5, 2021 1:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 9237982)
There is zero domestic evidence to back that up. The current worst states in the country for cases are all states that are heavily masked. Texas and Arkansas, as of last week, had one of the lowest counts per 100k, both states that recently ended their mask mandates.

Texas is not one of the lowest per 100k.

Arkansas is currently the 9th worst per 100k. Texas is 27, so middle of the road. Texas is 12th worst in testing, so who it would probably be higher if more people tested on average.

California is doing better, 33rd in number of covid cases per 100k, with almost 30 million (!!!) more tests than Texas or Florida. With this data, California'a positive rates are far better than these states who didn't really give a shit.

JManc Apr 5, 2021 2:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9237961)
Holy crap, I’m middle aged? I thought I’m still a year away from that.

You bought a bright red Porsche...that is so a mid life crisis!

10023 Apr 5, 2021 2:59 AM

^ Yep... 40 is middle age anyway but the 911 definitely confirms it :haha:

jtown,man Apr 5, 2021 1:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 9238275)
Sure, but there are no new restrictions going on now, just a warning that if the rate continues to grow, new restrictions may be forthcoming.

But states with zero restrictions or near zero (Texas and Arkansas, for example) are doing much better. Restrictions is the feel-good political way to deal with it but it doesn't appear to be an actual effective strategy.

Why is Texas and Arkansas doing better while not even mandating masks? Hell, my sisters school doesn't even mandate masks while kids in Chicago still aren't going to high school classes.

jtown,man Apr 5, 2021 1:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LA21st (Post 9238425)
Texas is not one of the lowest per 100k.

Arkansas is currently the 9th worst per 100k. Texas is 27, so middle of the road. Texas is 12th worst in testing, so who it would probably be higher if more people tested on average.

California is doing better, 33rd in number of covid cases per 100k, with almost 30 million (!!!) more tests than Texas or Florida. With this data, California'a positive rates are far better than these states who didn't really give a shit.

I am talking about in the last month.

LA21st Apr 5, 2021 2:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 9238635)
I am talking about in the last month.

Still not doing better than California in last month.
California is down to 2k cases a day, for awhile.

jtown,man Apr 5, 2021 2:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LA21st (Post 9238689)
Still not doing better than California in last month.
California is down to 2k cases a day, for awhile.

On March 25th CA had 2576 cases.
On April 4th Ca had 2688 cases.

On March 25th TX had 3367 cases.
On April 4th TX had 2935 cases.

SAME dates
NJ 4077
NJ 4363

NY 7656
NY 7997

MI 4142
MI 5797

AR 210
AR 160

I stand corrected, California is doing better than Texas, although heading in the wrong direction (slightly).

But my main point is that states that have little to no restrictions are doing better or about the same as states that are still acting like its April 2020. My point is confirmed by the above numbers. CA, NJ, NY, and MI are getting worse and this is mainly what the media is talking about when they say cases are rising in the US. No, its going up in a few select states, that also happen to have strong restrictions this far into the pandemic.

How do you explain the low and continuing lowering of the numbers in places like AR or TX? We are constantly told that restrictions are the ONLY way, well, it looks like restrictions don't make much a difference, do they?

JManc Apr 5, 2021 4:55 PM

I think there is some validity as to why states with more lax lockdowns and restrictions have faired as well as those with more stringent ones. I think there will be studies for years about what measures were effective and others aren't or were counterproductive. Here in Texas, we are wide open with no mask mandate though pretty much everyone still requires them and our positivity rate is hovering around 5%. I think with New York, they were locked down pretty hard and now with the confidence with the vaccines, warmer weather and gradual reopening, it was a perfect storm.

Pedestrian Apr 5, 2021 4:55 PM

Quote:

‘Vaccine passports’ are coming to California, but some residents could be left behind
By FIONA KELLIHER | fkelliher@bayareanewsgroup.com and LEONARDO CASTAÑEDA | lcastaneda@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
PUBLISHED: April 3, 2021 at 5:12 p.m. | UPDATED: April 5, 2021 at 7:19 a.m.

California crossed a major threshold last week: For the first time, state officials moved to adopt a policy that that would give residents who are vaccinated access to different events and activities than those who aren’t.

New requirements for a “vaccine passport” — showing proof of vaccination to attend gatherings like weddings, conferences, concerts or theater shows — set California apart from states looking to ban such requirements and raise questions surrounding vaccine access and privilege in a region that has repeatedly failed to protect its most vulnerable populations.

Starting April 15, venues hosting concerts, theater or other events may welcome larger crowds if they require attendees to show proof either of a negative COVID-19 test or full vaccination, state health officials said Friday. Those who are vaccinated will also be allowed to sit in special sections without social distancing.

Although experts laud the decision as a reasonable way to lower the risk of transmission while the economy reopens, many worry that vaccine passports come at the expense of Californians who have already suffered most throughout the pandemic — and before the state can assure a steady stream of supplies to vaccinate them . . . .

But Bay Area experts are less concerned with political debate and more with how the rules could leave behind those for whom getting vaccinated remains rife with structural, technological or financial barriers . . . .

Requiring vaccinations at large gatherings ameliorates the chance that those events could cause a “super-spreader” surge of COVID-19 infections, said Dr. Kirsten Bibbins-Domingo, an epidemiologist with UC San Francisco. But she’s wrestling with the fact that the new rules arrived before Latinx and Black communities have been widely vaccinated.

Another red flag for community health advocates is the idea of a digital passport on one’s phone or device, as State Health Officer Dr. Tomás J. Aragón hinted could become the norm in a call with reporters Friday. Throughout the pandemic, reliance on online platforms has made it more difficult for many to sign up for first coronavirus tests and now vaccines.

“Showing proof of vaccination is very likely to be a tool we need to use to safely reopen parts of our economy,” Bibbins-Domingo said. “It’s not an inherently inequitable idea. What is inequitable is doing it at a time when we have eligible people who cannot get vaccines right now, and we have deep inequities in those who have been deeply affected by the disease.”

Santa Clara County Executive Jeff Smith, meanwhile, believes that vaccine passports are a “false reassurance” given the widespread detection of different COVID-19 variants across the state — but that the county is hamstrung when it comes to enacting tighter restrictions without regional support. Ideally, he added, the state would wait until hard-hit communities reached a certain vaccination threshold before moving ahead with the scheme.

Aragón promised that officials are closely watching how well vaccines protect against variants and that supplies are expected to open up significantly in late April. And despite a manufacturing disruption, California is expecting 572,700 doses of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine this week, 215,400 the following week, and another 215,400 the week after that.

“We anticipate that the majority of people will be able to do this, and the barriers will be removed,” he told reporters Friday. CDPH declined to respond further Saturday . . . .

The extent to which the passports could permeate Californians’ day-to-day life — whether through restaurant reservations, priority for certain shoppers or recreational sports — remains an open discussion among experts. Aragón said that documentation will not be required for essential services.

While showing proof of inoculation makes sense for bigger, riskier gatherings, it’s unlikely that they will be needed for most everyday activities — in part because there is no real mechanism for enforcement, Bibbins-Domingo surmised . . . .
https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/04/...content=manual

Pedestrian Apr 5, 2021 4:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9238006)
I don’t believe that this is true.

New Zealand has cut itself off from the world, and they can’t reopen until their population is fully vaccinated because they currently have zero population immunity.

Those countries in East Asia all had some level of pre-existing immunity due to exposure to similar viruses in the past. I am absolutely convinced of that. My sister lives in Tokyo and there’s no way they could have come out of this so well, with no proper lockdown, if that were not the case.

For once we agree on all the points you are making in this post. And I've lived in New Zealand. It's a beautiful place but they are like the Switzerland of the Anglophone world. They are encouraged by their location and small population to think they can isolate themselves from many of the world's tribulations, not just COVID.

jtown,man Apr 5, 2021 6:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9238847)
I think there is some validity as to why states with more lax lockdowns and restrictions have faired as well as those with more stringent ones. I think there will be studies for years about what measures were effective and others aren't or were counterproductive. Here in Texas, we are wide open with no mask mandate though pretty much everyone still requires them and our positivity rate is hovering around 5%. I think with New York, they were locked down pretty hard and now with the confidence with the vaccines, warmer weather and gradual reopening, it was a perfect storm.

Absolutely. And I am not saying places that have fewer restrictions and no mask mandate equals better results. Nope, I am simply stating that more restrictions are not the Ace in the Hole many act like they are. I expect politicians to accept that notion blindly because they are pandering idiots, but we could think this through a little better.

the urban politician Apr 5, 2021 6:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 9238940)
Absolutely. And I am not saying places that have fewer restrictions and no mask mandate equals better results. Nope, I am simply stating that more restrictions are not the Ace in the Hole many act like they are. I expect politicians to accept that notion blindly because they are pandering idiots, but we could think this through a little better.

Yup.

Politicians are all about votes, not necessarily doing the right thing. They want the world to be convinced that it is THEIR actions that saved everybody, not the actions of the public who took precautions and wore masks.

The politicians pander so that they can win elections (and keep their jobs). It's the same, tired crap everywhere, and it's the price we pay as a society for allowing people to make a career in politics.

LA21st Apr 5, 2021 8:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 9238698)
On March 25th CA had 2576 cases.
On April 4th Ca had 2688 cases.

On March 25th TX had 3367 cases.
On April 4th TX had 2935 cases.

SAME dates
NJ 4077
NJ 4363

NY 7656
NY 7997

MI 4142
MI 5797

AR 210
AR 160

I stand corrected, California is doing better than Texas, although heading in the wrong direction (slightly).

But my main point is that states that have little to no restrictions are doing better or about the same as states that are still acting like its April 2020. My point is confirmed by the above numbers. CA, NJ, NY, and MI are getting worse and this is mainly what the media is talking about when they say cases are rising in the US. No, its going up in a few select states, that also happen to have strong restrictions this far into the pandemic.

How do you explain the low and continuing lowering of the numbers in places like AR or TX? We are constantly told that restrictions are the ONLY way, well, it looks like restrictions don't make much a difference, do they?

I wouldn't say 100 more cases is really a big deal when we test almost double what Texas does.
California isn't getting worse.

But Texas is getting better than what it was.

sopas ej Apr 6, 2021 5:00 PM

From ABC7:

COVID-19 surges across multiple states as California numbers continue to drop

By JR Stone
Tuesday, April 6, 2021 8:38AM

SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- California has the best COVID-19 positivity rate in the country. But as this good news comes, there is also bad news as other states like Michigan are dealing with a surge of cases.

"There's almost a tale of two cases right now, how to prevent cases, to how to see cases rise and we definitely don't want to see the latter," says Dr. Alok Patel of ABC7's Vaccine Team. Patel is referring to masked crowds we've seen in San Francisco -- where the COVID-19 positivity rate is 1% -- and places where we've seen COVID-19 surges like Miami, Florida -- where there are unmasked crowds and a positivity rate of 10%.

"I won't get concerned as long as they don't come here," says Markeigh Ford of San Francisco.

Doctors that we talked with are concerned though, saying that the largest surges we're seeing across the country involve young people who have expanded their bubbles and now could be facing new variants.

"By in large, young individuals in this country are not vaccinated and I'm not just talking about those who are below the age of 16 who aren't approved. I'm also talking about those under the age of 30," says Patel.

Stanford's Dr. Grace Lee says it's a race against time to get the vaccine out there and better prepare everyone for any possible 4th surge in California.

"Until we can vaccinate the population that is continuing to have high rates of infection, which is really our young adult population, it's gonna be really hard to prevent the spread or transmission of the COVID-19 infection," says Dr. Lee.

Monday night, those we spoke with in San Francisco said they feel that those here in the Bay Area have been more cautious than other places and are therefore better prepared.

"Yes for sure, I mean people are more educated here and they take more precautions in general," said Tisha Dutta and Shuvhan Doel of San Francisco.

Doctors just hopeful that Californians keep their guard up as numbers continue to drop here but rise elsewhere.

Link: https://abc7news.com/covid-surge-in-...bers/10490051/

photoLith Apr 6, 2021 6:26 PM

^
There’s that ridiculous word surge again. Are deaths “surging”? No they aren’t. So this increase in covid doesn’t matter because younger people get a mild cold or nothing at all. Of course there are the outlier extremely rare cases when a young person dies or gets very sick but those are outliers. This continued fear mongering by the media is absolutely insane. Nearly all of the elderly and those at risk are vaccinated; I’m vaccinated and I’m only 33. Everyone is starting to get vaccinated. This continued fear is beyond nutso and continued wearing of masks is nuts.