SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

chris08876 Oct 31, 2020 1:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suburbanite (Post 9090957)
There are obviously other things to do, but life is about balance. Most people's personalities aren't conducive to getting fucked up every single night for eight months, and on the flip side, neither do they want to stay inside or in groups of four for eight months straight.

I'm fine accepting what we need to do to manage caseloads, but there isnt really a Covid equivalent to taking some MDMA and partying with hundreds of people until 4 am. My plan is just to work my ass off for this winter, and take a leave of absence to South America or thr Pacific party islands when the vaccine is out and life gets back to normal.

Of course its about balance, but its kind of insane how undisciplined folks are. I'm speaking in general here, not towards anybody, but to society as a whole. Life will return to normal eventually, but man are people impatient. People are busy messing it up for others, causing cases to rise via irresponsible conduct. A big sense of entitlement.

Its a short term sacrifice to help save potentially millions of lives globally, and people are just botching it up. The vaccine will be here in time, soon in the grand scheme of things, and than life will return to normal.

What this pandemic has shown us is that when real shit hits the fan, some places are not ready AT ALL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 9090964)
If you have kids, you're kept busy during the pandemic.

But I agree this totally sucks, and work is now endless and 24/7, and neither my wife or I have the type of jobs that formerly require such herculean dedication. My wife was working till 1 AM last night, which is typical 2-3 days a week lately.

Cannot wait till vaccine and semi-normalcy ensues.

At least your disciplined. Doing the right thing... waiting it out. Not being reckless in your conduct.

Minato Ku Oct 31, 2020 2:01 PM

Quote:

But I agree this totally sucks, and work is now endless and 24/7, and neither my wife or I have the type of jobs that formerly require such herculean dedication. My wife was working till 1 AM last night, which is typical 2-3 days a week lately.

I like to have a commute between work and my home. It creates a break between my professional and my private life.
I like to have a clear separation between both.

On friday afternnon it wasn't so unusual for me to walk from my office to my home, a healthy two hours walk (it could be faster but I often took some detours).

I find working from home is quite unbearable (hyperbole :D), I'm doing work related thing much later than I usually do because the separation between work and home isn't there anymore.

Steely Dan Oct 31, 2020 2:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9090895)
Why does everyone have to be such a patronising dickhead?

because your incessant petulant whining about this situation is worthy of some ridicule.

yes, this has not been the easiest, most comfortable season of life for many, many people, but when has whining ever made a situation better?

i'm still jobless going on 7 months now, and i do worry about if/when i might ever find permanent employment in my field again, but i'm still ever so grateful for all of the many blessings in my life.

It's about perspective; try to acquire some.

JManc Oct 31, 2020 3:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9090895)
Why does everyone have to be such a patronising dickhead?

Do you enjoy waking up, going to work, coming home, going to bed, and repeating as infinitum?

Because there is not really anything else to do.

It does suck but like Steely mentioned, this has impacted everyone and not in a good way. We're all mostly stuck at home, forced to social distance, cut off from friends and family and some without incomes and livelihoods. The little things like going to a bar (which I miss dearly) seem almost trivial right now with every that's going on. I do hope normalcy can resume sooner rather than later because it will have adverse effects on mental health if this drags out another six months to a year.

destroycreate Oct 31, 2020 5:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stay Stoked Brah (Post 9090532)
Unless you're working for yourself, that's too much. it might be time to start looking for a new job.

Of course it's too much. However I work in online advertising, and my industry has taken a huge hit. Jobs are very scarce. It's not worth the risk for me right now to jump to another company, only to be laid off because "first in first out".

Never in my life would I have justified working these kinds of hours but like I said, most of us don't really have a choice. Whatever we have to do to keep health insurance and a paycheck right now...I only have $1500 in savings (after paying off credit card debt for years...luckily free of it now). My goal is to save $1500 for the next 6 months so I can finally have some peace of mind.

Emprise du Lion Oct 31, 2020 6:44 PM

The St. Louis metro area is completely trifurcated in terms what restrictions, if any, are in place.

The city and St. Louis County are some of the only places in the entire State of Missouri even attempting to somewhat take things seriously. Bars and restaurants are currently capped at 50% capacity with a 11 pm curfew for them in the city and 10 pm in the county. Some places have closed for the winter, but others are trying to make the most out of their patios while they still can. It feels somewhat normal.

The rest of the Missouri counties in metro St. Louis are a free for all.

Over in the Illinois, the Metro East just slipped back a phase for the second time, so indoor dining is banned by order of the governor. This time, however, many bars and restaurants aren't following the orders, and some of the State's Attorney's Offices are dismissing the citations issued by the State Police. Whether Illinois goes to the next level and starts pulling liquor licenses remains to be seen.

Finally our area hospitals are reaching capacity again because when people get sick in rural Missouri they come here since we have the "good" hospitals, so that's great. The medical community is currently in full panic mode because of the increases.

So in short, things are open but it's starting to feel like we're on a rollercoaster nearing the top right before the drop.

C. Nov 1, 2020 2:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N90 (Post 9090904)
Supposedly former retail store spaces in NYC and other US cities are being converted into senior housing. I’m not against the idea but wouldn’t former commercial areas be too loud and invasive for senior housing?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...pment.amp.html

Better than homelessness, I suppose.

10023 Nov 1, 2020 2:47 PM

Quote:

You will be waiting for a long time.

Even if a vaccine is approved early next year, there will be a very cautious approach taken given unclear effectiveness. This social distancing bullshit is going to ruin 2021 as well.

the urban politician Nov 1, 2020 3:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9091754)
You will be waiting for a long time.

Even if a vaccine is approved early next year, there will be a very cautious approach taken given unclear effectiveness. This social distancing bullshit is going to ruin 2021 as well.

I would agree.

I’m with most of the others here that 10023 is complaining way too much, but there is one distinct matter where I think his concerns may have merit:

Our Governors have been doing a lot of goal post moving over the past 7 months. It is frustrating, and they are playing with people’s livelihoods and mental well being. I think it is very unfortunate.

For example, in Illinois the final phase is “Illinois restored” defined by a vaccine being available, and hence an end to the pandemic (and these emergency powers that Governors have so readily taken unto themselves). Mark my words that even after the FDA approves a vaccine, Governor Pritzker is going to be out with “Well, our own State health authorities need to review the data” followed by “We can’t back down my measures until X number of people receive the vaccine” and Lord knows what other new criteria.

It will drag on and on, and if everything isn’t spik or span perfect, the emergency pandemic orders will continue to drag out. Business owners and shopkeepers will continue to be held under, and I suspect the public will grow increasingly frustrated and angry over the uncertainty of it all.

Centropolis Nov 1, 2020 3:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emprise du Lion (Post 9091207)
The St. Louis metro area is completely trifurcated in terms what restrictions, if any, are in place.

The city and St. Louis County are some of the only places in the entire State of Missouri even attempting to somewhat take things seriously. Bars and restaurants are currently capped at 50% capacity with a 11 pm curfew for them in the city and 10 pm in the county. Some places have closed for the winter, but others are trying to make the most out of their patios while they still can. It feels somewhat normal. u

The rest of the Missouri counties in metro St. Louis are a free for all.

Over in the Illinois, the Metro East just slipped back a phase for the second time, so indoor dining is banned by order of the governor. This time, however, many bars and restaurants aren't following the orders, and some of the State's Attorney's Offices are dismissing the citations issued by the State Police. Whether Illinois goes to the next level and starts pulling liquor licenses remains to be seen.

Finally our area hospitals are reaching capacity again because when people get sick in rural Missouri they come here since we have the "good" hospitals, so that's great. The medical community is currently in full panic mode because of the increases.

So in short, things are open but it's starting to feel like we're on a rollercoaster nearing the top right before the drop.

every evening lately that i’ve passed cafe napoli in downtown clayton the divorceé set has been raging inside and out, with a PACKED patio. it looked even busier than pre-covid on a nice weeknight recently.

people are wearing masks but also i think covid is on track to be normalized as another occupational hazard of modern life like automobile accidents, with an asterisk.

Stay Stoked Brah Nov 1, 2020 4:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9091795)
I would agree.

I’m with most of the others here that 10023 is complaining way too much, but there is one distinct matter where I think his concerns may have merit:

Our Governors have been doing a lot of goal post moving over the past 7 months. It is frustrating, and they are playing with people’s livelihoods and mental well being. I think it is very unfortunate.

For example, in Illinois the final phase is “Illinois restored” defined by a vaccine being available, and hence an end to the pandemic (and these emergency powers that Governors have so readily taken unto themselves). Mark my words that even after the FDA approves a vaccine, Governor Pritzker is going to be out with “Well, our own State health authorities need to review the data” followed by “We can’t back down my measures until X number of people receive the vaccine” and Lord knows what other new criteria.

It will drag on and on, and if everything isn’t spik or span perfect, the emergency pandemic orders will continue to drag out. Business owners and shopkeepers will continue to be held under, and I suspect the public will grow increasingly frustrated and angry over the uncertainty of it all.

re: moving goal posts:
there are some people in government that are saying we won't return to normalcy until there are zero cases. zero cases?! there is a good possibility that a vaccine if and when it arrives, won't be a cure all. everybody is banking on a vaccine that may or may not be effective. the best situation is that this virus mutates out of existence and burns out after a year or two, like the Spanish flu, honk kong flu, asian flu, swine flu have done.

TWAK Nov 1, 2020 4:53 PM

So have any of you seen NEW businesses open in your area since covid started? I have...
I say area since I don't live in a city.

suburbanite Nov 1, 2020 5:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWAK (Post 9091874)
So have any of you seen NEW businesses open in your area since covid started? I have...

Cannabis retailers lol. I've only been a few times but they're always busy and one business probably benefiting from people being stuck inside all the time.

iheartthed Nov 1, 2020 8:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWAK (Post 9091874)

A new restaurant opened nearby that replaced a business that shut because of COVID.

Centropolis Nov 1, 2020 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suburbanite (Post 9091886)
Cannabis retailers lol. I've only been a few times but they're always busy and one business probably benefiting from people being stuck inside all the time.

same here. missouri cannabis sales and production is coming online now. we have a law like californias old law (“medical” but really loose) and are allowing way more licenses than illinois so i’m seeing a lot of cannabis shops opening.

10023 Nov 3, 2020 4:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9091021)
It does suck but like Steely mentioned, this has impacted everyone and not in a good way. We're all mostly stuck at home, forced to social distance, cut off from friends and family and some without incomes and livelihoods. The little things like going to a bar (which I miss dearly) seem almost trivial right now with every that's going on. I do hope normalcy can resume sooner rather than later because it will have adverse effects on mental health if this drags out another six months to a year.

Yes. It has made life not worth living.

A life that it not worth living for tens or hundreds of millions, in exchange for adding at most a few years to the lives of the very old. It’s not a good trade.

And it will be another six months or year, unless the consensus view shifts toward what I have been suggesting. There will not be a clearly effective, widely available vaccine that will make the experts comfortable with normal social interaction in less than a year, or even two.

craigs Nov 3, 2020 4:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9093468)
Yes. It has made life not worth living.

What a drama queen.

LA21st Nov 3, 2020 5:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 9090822)
As if nightlife is the only source of entertainment or fun.

Expand the horizons! :wiseman:

Too many weak minded folks out there. If people are bored during the lockdowns, might be a good time to expand the horizons and discover some new sources of fun or entertainment. Expand the minds entertainment preference portfolio.

There is more to life than bars and getting f'd up on alcohol.

This will all be over in time. Until than, might be a good time to discover a new hobbies or outlook on something new... as some folks did during the 1st wave.

I hike my ass off with the extra time. Not everything is shit.

Buckeye Native 001 Nov 3, 2020 6:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LA21st (Post 9093524)
I hike my ass off with the extra time. Not everything is shit.

What's considered shitty about this current state of the world is relative. It is indeed shit for damn near everyone, to varying degrees, at the moment and will probably continue to be so for the foreseeable future.

What I personally despise is the belief that some people's lives are worth more than others, and acting like that gives them the right to satiate their whims and pleasures at the expense of everyone else who isn't as fortunate, socioeconomically and physically.

There's more to people than their insurance's actuarial assessments/risks. It also assumes that there's a "right way" to be fulfilled in life and the pursuit of enjoyment, as if whatever everyone else does that they consider to be fulfilling and enjoyable is wrong.

I'm thinking of Steely and his kids, as one example.

Me? I'm just grateful to have a job (for now).

Jesus fuck, I sound like a goddamn college freshman in a fucking philosophy 101 class. I'm sorry.

Pedestrian Nov 3, 2020 6:51 AM

^^10023 is wrong on every count.