SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

mhays May 23, 2020 7:38 PM

Typical for this thread...completely devoid of any attempt at logic or the most basic internet search.

https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/policies/law.../exposure.html

That's just the criminal law side.

the urban politician May 23, 2020 8:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhays (Post 8930669)
Typical for this thread...completely devoid of any attempt at logic or the most basic internet search.

https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/policies/law.../exposure.html

That's just the criminal law side.

That link changes nothing. The laws state that HIV infected people are required to disclose their HIV status to potential partners.

That differs immensely from your specific words earlier, which were “required to abstain”.

The former is a rule that few would dispute as a Constitutional infringement. The latter, however, would be far more troublesome.

About as troublesome as a law-abiding shopkeeper being ordered by one elected official to stop conducting business indefinitely until “I say so”.

Qubert May 23, 2020 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8930652)
It won't BE over until there's a vaccine and it'll be largely due to some fairly wealthy, if not billionaire, CEOs of biotech companies to do that. And some of it--not just the research but the production and global distribution of vaccine, may well be done by the Gates Foundation thanks to a certain billionaire. Incidentally, the wealthy execs of remdesivir maker Giead are donating at least the first 150,000 doses of that drug and pershpas more while the vaccine makers are all promising lots of free/at cost doses too.

Please stop spreading facts, it hurts the narrative.

The North One May 24, 2020 12:34 AM

The fact that the wealthy own the research, work and production of others? Ya we know. That's the system of capitalism lol.

Oh bless you billionaire saviors. Rescuing us from covid and totally not profiting from a crisis...

pdxtex May 24, 2020 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8930476)
I agree. In my neighborhood people have been getting together the whole time.

I think we should drop all of these laws at once and simply recommend strongly that everybody wear a face mask in public until the pandemic is over, as well as use hand sanitizer frequently.

It will achieve all of the same outcomes as these draconian laws that are utterly destroying our society and making life a living hell for millions.

They should have just done that from the beginning instead of willingly trashing the economy for years to come. This will go down as the world's biggest ruse....

dimondpark May 24, 2020 3:09 AM

Traffic is still light and I love it. The sky usually turns into a soupy haze after 2 consecutive days of sun but now it's amazing how pristine and crisp it has stayed since the lockdown.

jtown,man May 24, 2020 4:36 AM

Day 9 in Arkansas:

Went to my sisters house for my nephew's 2nd birthday party. About 20 people showed up(ILLEGAL IN MANY PLACES LOL). My brother-in-law's grandpa came up to me and shook my hand. I thanked the guy for giving me some semblance of normalcy back(he also happened to be the oldest guy in the room). About three of the guests worked at the hospital with my brother-in-law, zero masks. Beautiful day. Kids were going crazy. We had a side-by-side pulling some "train cars" to keep the kids entertained. Man, life is NICE when you feel normal again, so damn nice.

My brother-in-law's father is a preacher in rural Missouri. I asked him about how his church has been doing, and he said, to my surprise, "never been better." Their donations are up and he is going to keep the internet thing going and he's actually broadcasting on the radio within a 2-mile range of his church so the older people who are worried(and don't understand technology) can sit in their cars or at home and listen in. He said the social distancing protocols he's put in place has been universally appreciated by people there and things are moving along nicely. Great news.

Anyways, how is Covid-19 impacting my current city of Paragould Arkansas? Not much.

10023 May 24, 2020 8:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The North One (Post 8930845)
The fact that the wealthy own the research, work and production of others? Ya we know. That's the system of capitalism lol.

Oh bless you billionaire saviors. Rescuing us from covid and totally not profiting from a crisis...

They own the means of production. All of those valuable capital assets are what make our economy and society different from impoverished places in Africa where they plow fields by hand. Those people work hard as well.

mrnyc May 24, 2020 9:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8930705)

About as troublesome as a law-abiding shopkeeper being ordered by one elected official to stop conducting business indefinitely until “I say so”.

sure open up your shop. i catch a corona in there because you arent enforcing common sense rules i will sue you back to the stone age. you really want your already backed up courts clogged up with that? :shrug:

CaliNative May 24, 2020 10:22 AM

delete

glowrock May 24, 2020 11:39 AM

A few quick points here:

1) I swear, the self-righteous, selfish, "Me! Me! Me!" attitude I've been reading by so many fellow SSPers here is truly disgusting! All this whining about not being able to get your hair cut, go to a bar, sit inside restaurants, go to the gym, etc... What about the freaking employees of those establishments? Does anyone care about their health and safety?

2) It's abundantly clear that the average income level of most SSPers is 3-5x the national/world average, apparently. All this talk about huge bonuses and commissions, paying cash for homes, huge down payments, etc... Wow, it's like we're on another goddamned planet from most people!

3) As many of you know, I've gone from working in a professional industry (oil & gas services) to retail (specifically a huge liquor store chain). Let's just say that the last couple of months have been insane for me, both in terms of ever-changing rules and regulations to of course a massive increase in sales. It's gotten to the point where the lines outside to get in have as many people as those in the store! I deal with hundreds of people every single day, not sure if any of them are carriers of COVID-19. Obviously the masks help greatly in preventing the spread from one person to another, but there's still a certain level of risk in what I do right now.

4) To everyone saying to open everything now, get rid of social distancing, etc... How many new cases/deaths are acceptable to you? You really think restaurants should be back to being packed? Bars packed to the gills three-deep? No distancing at all? With no real treatment and no vaccine? Seriously? I'm not saying a vaccine is the be all end all here, but a reasonable treatment protocol that reduces severity of the illness would be nice!

5) As a retail/service worker for the last year or two, I've seen the good, bad and ugliest of people's behaviors. If anything, I truly hope that there is a much greater appreciation for the people that allow all of you bitching and moaning about not being able to do everything you want right now on a freaking whim now and into the future! Be thankful that there are still delivery drivers, cashiers, warehouse/stockers, restaurant employees, postal carriers, transit employees, etc., (and of course our amazing nurses!) that are risking their own safety by dealing with the public right now!

6) I still can't get over the absolute narcissism and selfish behaviors by so many here. It makes me sick to my goddamned stomach. :(

Aaron (Glowrock)

homebucket May 24, 2020 2:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glowrock (Post 8931083)
A few quick points here:

1) I swear, the self-righteous, selfish, "Me! Me! Me!" attitude I've been reading by so many fellow SSPers here is truly disgusting! All this whining about not being able to get your hair cut, go to a bar, sit inside restaurants, go to the gym, etc... What about the freaking employees of those establishments? Does anyone care about their health and safety?

2) It's abundantly clear that the average income level of most SSPers is 3-5x the national/world average, apparently. All this talk about huge bonuses and commissions, paying cash for homes, huge down payments, etc... Wow, it's like we're on another goddamned planet from most people!

3) As many of you know, I've gone from working in a professional industry (oil & gas services) to retail (specifically a huge liquor store chain). Let's just say that the last couple of months have been insane for me, both in terms of ever-changing rules and regulations to of course a massive increase in sales. It's gotten to the point where the lines outside to get in have as many people as those in the store! I deal with hundreds of people every single day, not sure if any of them are carriers of COVID-19. Obviously the masks help greatly in preventing the spread from one person to another, but there's still a certain level of risk in what I do right now.

4) To everyone saying to open everything now, get rid of social distancing, etc... How many new cases/deaths are acceptable to you? You really think restaurants should be back to being packed? Bars packed to the gills three-deep? No distancing at all? With no real treatment and no vaccine? Seriously? I'm not saying a vaccine is the be all end all here, but a reasonable treatment protocol that reduces severity of the illness would be nice!

5) As a retail/service worker for the last year or two, I've seen the good, bad and ugliest of people's behaviors. If anything, I truly hope that there is a much greater appreciation for the people that allow all of you bitching and moaning about not being able to do everything you want right now on a freaking whim now and into the future! Be thankful that there are still delivery drivers, cashiers, warehouse/stockers, restaurant employees, postal carriers, transit employees, etc., (and of course our amazing nurses!) that are risking their own safety by dealing with the public right now!

6) I still can't get over the absolute narcissism and selfish behaviors by so many here. It makes me sick to my goddamned stomach. :(

Aaron (Glowrock)

Welcome to America, land of the most spoiled people in the world. The fact that we have people comparing the lockdown (which was implemented in the interest of public health and safety, not because they wanted to prevent you from going to Chili's) to Communism and being ruled by Hitler, when they haven't lived a second of their lives in those environments, tells you all that you need to know.

That being said, the time to reopen was a month ago, and should be, and is, gradual and carefully thought out. The curve has been flattened, hospitals have plenty of capacity, and people can make the personal choice whether they want to assume the risk or not.

Crawford May 24, 2020 2:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homebucket (Post 8931158)
That being said, the time to reopen was a month ago, and should be, and is, gradual and carefully thought out. The curve has been flattened, hospitals have plenty of capacity, and people can make the personal choice whether they want to assume the risk or not.

No way, man, you're way too selfish. Anyone would wants to avoid a second Great Depression and mass global starvation is selfish. Anyone who wants to sit at home the next three years watching Netflix, waiting for the death count to approach zero, is virtuous.

niwell May 24, 2020 3:05 PM

Quote:

A few quick points here:

Aaron (Glowrock)

Great post, and thank you. I am a professional working from home but a significant portion of my friend group works in various areas of the local restaurant and craft beer scene. They are affected a hell of a lot more than me, and in many different ways*. It's easy to whine while sitting at your computer because you can't go out after work - I get it, I normally do that and it fucking sucks.

But as to some of your points, seems like a select number of SSPers would gleefully shove the homeless / old people / relatives into a woodchipper if it benefited their portfolio.

*Almost everyone has gotten supported by the government at least, with the exception of the current failings of our small business program. I hate being a Canada booster but we haven't turned this into a Culture War in the same sense that the US seems to have managed.

JManc May 24, 2020 3:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 8931164)
No way, man, you're way too selfish. Anyone would wants to avoid a second Great Depression and mass global starvation is selfish. Anyone who wants to sit at home the next three years watching Netflix, waiting for the death count to approach zero, is virtuous.

Lockdowns should've wound down like homebucket mentioned but the Oscar for a leading role in a drama goes to...

Many people did lose their jobs in industries that had razor thin margins who never prepared for black swan events or those with one foot already in Chapter 11 but we were asked to social distance for a month of so and the hysterics ensued. Glowrock is correct.

eschaton May 24, 2020 3:27 PM

The correct answer on when to "reopen" is once adequate test-and-trace is in place. Reopening before then is useless, because cases will spike again within a few weeks. Australia shows we could do it - if we gave a shit.

FWIW, there's no evidence that reopening will "save the economy." Sweden is heading for a steep recession even though people there just stayed at home voluntarily. And in the U.S.'s case, Georgia has been "open" for about a month now. It seems like economic activity has only picked up slightly, and new unemployment filings continue to rise (apparently now over 40% - highest in nation).

mhays May 24, 2020 4:02 PM

One great fallacy among the know-nothings: The idea that going out only puts yourself at risk.

Another: A single partial measure (six feet, a mask, etc.) is all you need without the other measures.

dimondpark May 24, 2020 4:38 PM

Quote:

A few quick points here:

4 years of Donald Trump has literally hardened millions of hearts. He gave them permission to openly act like assholes.

Like who the F totes guns to the state house because they think theyre going to strong arm the governor into submitting to their selfishness? We are devolving very quickly and these idiots are nothing but brainwashed sheep.

And make no mistake, they are being prodded by online bots, just like in 2016.

SteveD May 24, 2020 4:38 PM

My high school buddy has an 80's cover rock band and they plays gigs throughout the southeast. They had a show in Dayton TN last night. I texted him asking what sort of crowd control / social distancing measures if any they had in place for the pandemic, and he told me "nothing at all...it's business as usual with normal crowds and activity up this way".

the urban politician May 24, 2020 4:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrnyc (Post 8931067)
sure open up your shop. i catch a corona in there because you arent enforcing common sense rules i will sue you back to the stone age. you really want your already backed up courts clogged up with that? :shrug:

Well, good luck not getting that suit thrown out. I imagine it would be nearly impossible to win such a case.

Besides, many States like Illinois have executive orders in place that provide tort immunity from Covid related litigation. Thankfully so, the last thing we need from this pandemic is to make more slimy lawyers rich....

Last but not least, even if you did “catch Corona” :rolleyes: and you were allowed to sue, what are you going to sue for? For being among that 99.9% of people who have either no symptoms or, at most, a fever, headache, and body aches for a week? Oh boy, that will win you millions!!