SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

pbenjamin Mar 10, 2017 8:30 PM

I can sometimes figure out whether one means Street or Avenue when referring to a numbered thoroughfare but not always. It would be really helpful to refer to 3rd St and Thomas rather than 3rd and Thomas. Not everybody has every project memorized.

ASUSunDevil Mar 10, 2017 9:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 7736307)
the Rennisance is a MASSSSIVE improvement holy cow, Completely changes the character of that block.

That's because Gensler was in charge of the redesign. Expect to see the same level of quality once they redesign the Arizona Center :tup:

ASU Diablo Mar 10, 2017 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil (Post 7736667)
That's because Gensler was in charge of the redesign. Expect to see the same level of quality once they redesign the Arizona Center :tup:

Same group?? Nice...i'm looking forward to it!

biggus diggus Mar 11, 2017 7:46 PM

This may turn out to be nothing but rumor in the neighborhood is West Elm is opening a store at 817 N Central. The downstairs space is currently occupied by Atmosphere which is a commercial interior furniture and design store.

It is true the address has an active building permit for second floor interior construction, this could be consistent with Atmosphere moving to the second floor allowing West Elm to move in downstairs. West Elm does have some online employment ads posted for a General Manager and Assistant Managers for a new "upcoming" store in Phoenix.

If true, this is it fellas. If West Elm, which is Williams Sonoma's furniture store, opens in Downtown Phoenix, prepare to see a massive influx of new chain retail locations. Yuppie moms in Land Rover Evoques with their "kiddos" and "puppers" in the back seat are on their way.

gymratmanaz Mar 11, 2017 7:57 PM

I was just downtown looking at all the construction and upcoming buildings..... I forget, why are there fences around the area East of Cooperstown?

ASUSunDevil Mar 11, 2017 8:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7737395)
If West Elm, which is Williams Sonoma's furniture store, opens in Downtown Phoenix, prepare to see a massive influx of new chain retail locations. Yuppie moms in Land Rover Evoques with their "kiddos" and "puppers" in the back seat are on their way.

Good. Hell of a lot better than the bums that used to hang out there.

You're making West Elm sound like a J.C. Penney... way off. West Elm is hip - perfect for Downtown.

Red Robot Mar 11, 2017 8:09 PM

Quote:

This may turn out to be nothing but rumor in the neighborhood is West Elm is opening a store at 817 N Central. The downstairs space is currently occupied by Atmosphere which is a commercial interior furniture and design store.

It is true the address has an active building permit for second floor interior construction, this could be consistent with Atmosphere moving to the second floor allowing West Elm to move in downstairs. West Elm does have some online employment ads posted for a General Manager and Assistant Managers for a new "upcoming" store in Phoenix.

If true, this is it fellas. If West Elm, which is Williams Sonoma's furniture store, opens in Downtown Phoenix, prepare to see a massive influx of new chain retail locations. Yuppie moms in Land Rover Evoques with their "kiddos" and "puppers" in the back seat are on their way.

West Elm is opening a store in Uptown Plaza, they recently posted coming soon signs in front of the largest retail space to the left of Lou Malnati's Pizza and Creamistry.

Given the proximity it seems less likely there would be a second store, but it's possible the office with Atmosphere would be for West Elm's own commercial interior operations.

biggus diggus Mar 11, 2017 8:14 PM

That makes far more sense to me, thanks for clearing it up.

fawd Mar 11, 2017 8:19 PM

Quote:

. Yuppie moms in Land Rover Evoques.

*Range Rover

👌 And perfectly fine with me!!

nickw252 Mar 11, 2017 8:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil (Post 7736667)

At first I wasn't sure white would go well, but I went by it today and agree, it looks great. Especially the facade on the street level floors.

http://i66.tinypic.com/14o4z9f.jpg

nickw252 Mar 11, 2017 8:54 PM

I'm continually impressed with what a presence the new Banner Good Sam tower makes along the highway.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2yozhu0.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/98xf2r.jpg

phx_arch_student Mar 12, 2017 4:12 AM

Hello everyone! I'm a Phoenix native and am currently studying architecture at Cal Poly. I've been following this thread for quite a long time now (years) and finally decided to join the discussion. Seeing as though I am in the process of learning about all of this stuff, I may ask an occasional question or two. Really excited about whats going on in Phoenix! Carry on! :cool:

Also, the Renaissance really does look fantastic. What a dramatic improvement at street level! HKS is doing a great job with the University Medical Center tower as well. Don't know if this old article has been shared yet:
http://www.hksinc.com/insight/hks-aw...enter-phoenix/

Jjs5056 Mar 13, 2017 8:20 AM

The Renaissance is definitely one of the most underrated projects, but probably one of the more important ones. Adams and Monroe from 2nd St - 2nd Ave are the most urban blocks downtown, so anything that fixes a previously poor design is welcomed. PHX Commons will be a great addition to 1st St/Adams, and hopefully there will soon be an economic incentive for the City to re-RFP Adams/Central and a ground level renovation of the Hyatt.

Have any permits referenced the size of Barrister? The Jefferson tower can range from 6 - 20 stories, and with the Fry's across the street and it being such a major block, I am hoping it is closer to 20.

Nervous to hear that there are fences east of Cooperstown. That block and the 1 to its west are the only remaining places with potential for retail/entertainment.

ASUSunDevil Mar 13, 2017 7:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 7738667)
hopefully there will soon be an economic incentive for the City to re-RFP Adams/Central and a ground level renovation of the Hyatt.

That would make a lot of sense.

Also, there is fencing up around the vacant lot between McKinley and Garfield & 4th and 5th St. - did I miss something?

biggus diggus Mar 13, 2017 7:50 PM

I'm sitting in Ike's looking at that lot right now, my feeling is it will be used for staging for another building.

Obadno Mar 13, 2017 8:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil (Post 7739089)
That would make a lot of sense.

Also, there is fencing up around the vacant lot between McKinley and Garfield & 4th and 5th St. - did I miss something?

as someone said some days back, that's staging for Derby construction.

ASUSunDevil Mar 13, 2017 8:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 7739104)
I'm sitting in Ike's looking at that lot right now, my feeling is it will be used for staging for another building.

You're probably right. I'm hoping for an Optima residential building and a new tallest office tower on those 3 vacant lots. I'm assuming they're zoned for some serious height.

exit2lef Mar 13, 2017 8:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil (Post 7739124)
You're probably right. I'm hoping for an Optima residential building and a new tallest office tower on those 3 vacant lots. I'm assuming they're zoned for some serious height.

I believe that lot is city-owned and supposed to become part of the Biomedical Campus as it expands to the north. If it's not needed for that purpose, I assume it will eventually be RFP'd.

muertecaza Mar 13, 2017 8:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 7738667)
Have any permits referenced the size of Barrister? The Jefferson tower can range from 6 - 20 stories, and with the Fry's across the street and it being such a major block, I am hoping it is closer to 20.

Their pre-application plan review from 31 January 2017 states 20 stories:

Quote:

THE PROPOSED DEVELOPMENT WILL CONSISTS OF THREE PARTS. THE RENOVATION OF THE HISTORIC BARRISTER
BUILDING, A NEW 20 STORY RESIDENTIAL TOWER AND A PRIVATE PARKING GARAGE FOR USE BY THE RESIDENTS. IN TOTAL THE DEVELOPMENT
IS PROPOSING 134,900 SF OF MULTIFAMILY RESIDENTIAL (APPROXIMATELY 128 UNITS) AND 14,000 SF OF RETAIL STOREFRONT.

muertecaza Mar 13, 2017 9:57 PM

There was a discussion some pages back about proposal on 3rd/Pierce. I don't recall there being this level of detail:

https://www.phoenix.gov/cityclerksit.../170316006.pdf

Quote:

If approved, the project will result in three high-rise, multi-family rental residential towers, including 24,500 square feet of accessory commercial space, 646 structured parking spaces and resident amenities ("Project"). The 612-unit development will be constructed in three phases on a vacant 55,979 square-foot site...
Quote:

Developer will privately finance and construct the project in three phases as follows (all numbers are approximate):

a. Phase 1 – 29 story tower with 9,403 square feet of retail/mixed use space, 252 rental units and 225 structured parking spaces

b. Phase 2 – 25 story tower with 11,695 square feet of retail/mixed use space, 204 rental units and 275 structured parking spaces

c. Phase 3 – 19 story tower with 3,490 square feet or retail/mixed use space, 156 rental units and 146 structured parking spaces

2. Developer will attribute 5% of total units, per phase, to workforce housing. The workforce units will include a proportional mix of unit types.

3. Developer will provide 50% of the ground floor retail/mixed-use space for a term of two years to startup incubators, not-for-profits, artist lofts and rotating merchant pop-ups.
I don't have strong feelings one way or another on the use of GPLETs, but this does seem like a better return for the tax break than something like Derby, which I don't believe had any equivalent commitments to workforce housing and artist/non-profit retail space.