SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

Steely Dan Mar 12, 2020 7:57 PM

* MODERATOR NOTE *

all posts in this thread that touch upon the national political aspects of this event (and all of the attendant toxicity that goes along with it these days) will be moved to the cornavirus thread in the current events shithole.

this thread is more for discussion about the impact of the event on our cities and daily lives.

if you asshats just want to keep screaming at each other about trump all day long, we've already given you a toilet to crawl into to do so. don't spread your stupid cancer over here in the worthwhile parts of this forum.

sopas ej Mar 12, 2020 8:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chisouthside (Post 8859648)
From my experience in silicon valley alot of contract workers work 15 month contracts and then collect unemployment for 3 months and then return to that company if they havent moved on anywhere else.

Hmmm; I'm wondering if they're getting it from a previous full-time employer.

At my company, we've had a number of employees who have voluntarily quit (which disqualifies you from collecting unemployment benefits from the company you quit from) because they got a new job somewhere else. Some of them got laid off from their new jobs, and then our company gets an EDD form, and they qualify, and our reserve account gets charged (either partially or wholly, depending on the qualification). But I would think if it were over a year since their last full-time position with a company, that would disqualify them. I would have to look into this using my own company... but I don't have time for that right now. :P

One time, we let a temp worker go who was working for us temp-to-hire through a staffing agency. We had to let her go because they eliminated the position. We received an EDD form with her name on it. I had to dispute it because she technically was never an employee of ours; she should have listed her staffing agency as her employer, not us.

sopas ej Mar 12, 2020 8:21 PM

OK, I actually saw it in real life. I ran to Target on my lunch break, and saw people lined up with shopping carts full of toilet paper.

Me, I used the self-checkout to buy a dispenser of Neutrogena.

Pedestrian Mar 12, 2020 8:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 8859806)
I used the self-checkout to buy a dispenser of Neutrogena.

I bought one of the last bottles of Lubriderm at Safeway yesterday. :D

3rd&Brown Mar 12, 2020 8:26 PM

I work in the World Trade Center (in NYC).

As of yesterday, World Trade 1 (Freedom Tower) and World Trade 4 (Eataly Building) were rumored to have mandatory closures due to a handful of cases in those buildings. World Trade 4 is location of Port Authority, of which, it's been well publicized the head was diagnosed with corona. Conde Nast (among others) are in WTC 1.

I'm in World Trade 3. WFH was already optional but today we were told WFH is mandatory tomorrow and likely all next week until further notice.

Virtually everyone I know who isn't a service or medical worker is now mandatory WFH.

Stores are cleaned out of anything relating to disinfectant, toilet paper, or NSAIDS.

The subways have been far less crowded than usual and the only people who seem to be out and about in Manhattan are tourists.

Pedestrian Mar 12, 2020 8:32 PM

Disney closing California parks Saturday through the end of March (and, I'd bet, probably longer).

Steely Dan Mar 12, 2020 8:33 PM

There will be no madness this march.

hauntedheadnc Mar 12, 2020 8:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8859835)
There will be no madness this march.

On the contrary. We'll have plenty, more than any of us can stand... Just none of the fun kind.

Counties here are starting to declare local states of emergency. Especially in a tourist city like here, I can see a lot of restaurants and shops not being able to financially ride this one out...

Edit: Just saw where the governor of North Carolina recommends that all gatherings of more than 100 people either be canceled or postponed.

Edit, Part 2: Son of Edit -- Also just saw where Buncombe County government is in talks with local hotels about them providing space for people to isolate and self-quarantine. If you know anything about the history of this area, that's pretty eerie when you consider that during WWII, the federal government confiscated all the big hotels around here and used them as prisons and hospitals.

Pedestrian Mar 12, 2020 8:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown (Post 8859818)
I work in the World Trade Center (in NYC).

As of yesterday, World Trade 1 (Freedom Tower) and World Trade 4 (Eataly Building) were rumored to have mandatory closures due to a handful of cases in those buildings. World Trade 4 is location of Port Authority, of which, it's been well publicized the head was diagnosed with corona. Conde Nast (among others) are in WTC 1.

I'm in World Trade 3. WFH was already optional but today we were told WFH is mandatory tomorrow and likely all next week until further notice.

Virtually everyone I know who isn't a service or medical worker is now mandatory WFH.

Stores are cleaned out of anything relating to disinfectant, toilet paper, or NSAIDS.

The subways have been far less crowded than usual and the only people who seem to be out and about in Manhattan are tourists.

NYC now at 95 cases, 42 discovered in last 24 hours they are saying on CNBC. Deblasio declaring state of emergency and ordering lots of stuff shut.

jtown,man Mar 12, 2020 8:49 PM

So, I think most of us agree that the economic impacts of this will FAR outweigh the medical impacts(God willing).

So this weekend I will be going out on a poor man's shopping spree. Gonna get some shoes and maybe some shirts. Then me and the girlfriend will go get some food and tip our waiter well.

That is all.

hauntedheadnc Mar 12, 2020 8:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 8859873)
So, I think most of us agree that the economic impacts of this will FAR outweigh the medical impacts(God willing).

So this weekend I will be going out on a poor man's shopping spree. Gonna get some shoes and maybe some shirts. Then me and the girlfriend will go get some food and tip our waiter well.

That is all.

A post in a local facebook group here is making the rounds, and it's actually one worth considering:

Most restaurants, especially locally-owned ones, operate on a very thin profit margin. A lot of them are going to have a hard time keeping up with this kind of economic hammerblow. If possible, please consider buying gift cards from the restaurants you really care about, and save them for when things settle down. A lot of places, at least around here, will let you purchase such cards online.

Perhaps it's naive, but hope is a cardinal virtue, even when misplaced. If it gets to the point that pretty much no one is eating out anymore, I want to at least try to do my part to show the places I like that I care and that I'll be back as soon as the bad times are over.

BnaBreaker Mar 12, 2020 9:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 8859806)
OK, I actually saw it in real life. I ran to Target on my lunch break, and saw people lined up with shopping carts full of toilet paper.

Me, I used the self-checkout to buy a dispenser of Neutrogena.

I was at the store yesterday buying a six pack of local beer, an acorn squash, some fenugreek, and a reese's egg... and most people around me had carts piled up like they were prepping for the apocalypse. Perhaps I should be more concerned about this... but then again... perhaps those other people should dial it back a bit? I guess the sweet spot is somewhere in between. :shrug:

Centropolis Mar 12, 2020 9:06 PM

craziness hasn't quite hit the provincial out-midwest, yet. people are still traveling, even flying to jobsites that arent on coasts or chicago.

Steely Dan Mar 12, 2020 9:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BnaBreaker (Post 8859894)
I was at the store yesterday buying a six pack of local beer, an acorn squash, some fenugreek, and a reese's egg... and most people around me had carts piled up like they were prepping for the apocalypse. Perhaps I should be more concerned about this... but then again... perhaps those other people should dial it back a bit? I guess the sweet spot is somewhere in between. :shrug:

it's never a bad idea to have some non-perishable bulk foods on hand (like a 5 pound bag of rice and lots of cans of beans) in case shit truly hits the fan and food distribution is interrupted for a spell, but the 200 rolls of toilet paper nonsense, yeah, that's way beyond over the top.

Pedestrian Mar 12, 2020 9:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Centropolis (Post 8859902)
craziness hasn't quite hit the provincial out-midwest, yet. people are still traveling, even flying to jobsites that arent on coasts or chicago.

Well send you a few corpses (don't want you to feel left out of a national phenomenon once again):

Quote:

In one famous incident, the Tatars, a group of Turks, were battling Italians from Genoa in the Middle East when the Tatars were suddenly stuck down by the plague. Reportedly, they began catapulting dead bodies over the Genoans’ walls toward their enemy, who fled back to Italy with the disease.
https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...ated-allegedly

Northern Light Mar 12, 2020 9:49 PM

The province of Ontario, Canada, has just announced all schools will be closed from next week (March Break) to April 6th.

Obadno Mar 12, 2020 9:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern Light (Post 8859976)
The province of Ontario, Canada, has just announced all schools will be closed from next week (March Break) to April 6th.

With this and Ohio expect all schools in north america to follow suite.

No schools will want to be perceived as being unsafe so they'll follow pretty quickly

Steely Dan Mar 12, 2020 9:56 PM

^ yep, these closures seem to be working like dominoes right now.

woo-hoo! now my wife and i get to work from home AND have our 4 and 5 year olds interrupting us all day long.

sopas ej Mar 12, 2020 10:03 PM

Will hot weather give us some respite?

... Thought I, staring out my office window at the rain, while contemplating going out for mead and a chicken Cobb salad for dinner...

From Al Jazeera:

Will warmer weather slow the spread of coronavirus?

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...050819610.html

jd3189 Mar 12, 2020 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 8859747)

Even Coronavirus knows to avoid San Bernardino.

I'm kidding, I'm kidding!

Hey, I ain’t complaining :D