SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

mrnyc Jul 23, 2020 5:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8989922)
Ha, when they first opened outdoor bars in some parks in London they required food purchases. There were piles of unopened chip bags left on tables. If I were a homeless person in need of a free meal, that’s where I would have gone.

yes obviously same here and as you can see thats why they tightened the rules.

and speaking of homeless, unlike the apparant typhoid mary types such as yourself, it is heartening to see that generally even the more mentally ill homeless in ny are wearing masks. :tup:

Acajack Jul 23, 2020 5:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8989769)
Drinking is a social activity. The only time I really drink at home is when I’ve taken the time to cook a nice dinner (and everyone knows you can’t have better than a B- meal without wine or beer).

I wish I could post photos of bars in Milan at apertivo last Saturday. Some of you would be apoplectic. This week we are enjoying Lake Como with no American or Chinese tourists (except for one soldier and is family who drove down from Germany where he is deployed). I’m looking forward to visiting Venice while cruise ships are banned.

The (small) bar that I frequent the most here re-opened about a month ago.

I've been twice so far.

You need to check in when you arrive, wash your hands and wear a mask as you walk to your table.

You can take your mask off while seated. But if you get up (ie to go to the bathroom) you need to put it back on.

Servers all have masks or plastic visors.

You can't walk up to the bar to order a drink anymore. It's all table service.

The number of patrons is limited.

Minato Ku Jul 23, 2020 7:40 PM

Adverts have adapted.
Here, it's for high speed train travel

"Choyez les bienvenus à bord de nos trains" is "Soyez les bienvenus à bord de nos trains" (Welcome aboard our trains).
The "S" replaced by "Ch" expresses the distortion of pronunciation with a mask. :haha:
There is also a double meaning because the verb "Choyer" exists and means means "to pamper".

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...b09f9dd8_c.jpg
Pub TGV by Minato ku, sur Flickr

Trains stations are busy.
People are traveling all over the country.
Notice the big billboard with advices for fighting the COVID 19.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...a165d912_c.jpg
Gare Montparnasse by Minato ku, sur Flickr

chris08876 Jul 25, 2020 2:03 AM

Corona or not, this shit was gonna happen eventually. The tax rape continues!

= = = = =

:haha::haha::haha:

Murphy hints tax hikes in N.J. are likely because of coronavirus

Quote:

Gov. Phil Murphy has hinted in recent days that tax hikes and other “revenue raisers” will be necessary in New Jersey to help the state government recover from billions in lost tax dollars thanks to the coronavirus pandemic.

“I think everything has got to be on the table,” when said during an interview Friday morning with the Washington Post when asked if he’s prepared to raise taxes.

So which taxes might go up?

“It’s too early to tell,” Murphy said later in the day during his latest coronavirus briefing in Trenton.

The governor made the remarks on the same day he and his fellow Democrats who lead the state Legislature revealed they have agreed on a plan allowing the state government to borrow up to nearly $10 billion to help fill an expected multi-billion-dollar gap in the state budget in the wake of the pandemic.

Republicans immediately said they’ll sue to stop the borrowing plan, saying it’s not only unconstitutional but would saddle the state with debt for generations.

Murphy said the state will likely also need revenue raisers — such as taxes, fees, and tolls — as well as spending cuts and more federal aid to help balance the budget and avoid large-scale layoffs of public workers and drastic changes to programs.

“We need our legislature to give us the right to borrow from the Fed program, which gives me no joy, but we have no other choice,” Murphy said in the Post interview. “We need the federal cash, and we are likely gonna need revenue raisers. So the answer has to be everything is on the table.”
=====================
https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/...ronavirus.html

the urban politician Jul 25, 2020 2:05 AM

^ Are you laughing out of joy or laughing in tears?

chris08876 Jul 25, 2020 2:05 AM

^^^^

Some more comedy material below.

= = = =

N.J. Borrowing Bill Could Lead to Statewide Property Tax Surcharges

Quote:

A bill that would allow New Jersey to borrow billions of dollars without voter approval could result in an increase of the state’s sales tax as well as property tax surcharges, according to the bill’s text.

The bill, known as the New Jersey COVID-19 Emergency Bond Act, has drawn support from numerous labor unions and staunch opposition from legislative Republicans, who argue tax revenue shortfalls related to the coronavirus pandemic should be tampered by spending cuts rather than bonding. The state General Assembly is set to vote on the bill Thursday following its release from the body’s finance committee.

Sponsored by Eliana Pintor Marin (D-Essex), the measure authorizes issuance of state bonds totaling $5 billion plus additional borrowing from federal government. The borrowing would plug holes in the budget for employee salaries and benefits as well as other state expenses amidst a projected $10 billion drop in tax receipts through fiscal year 2021. State Treasurer Elizabeth Maher Muoio expects $2.7 billion in lost revenue this year, and potentially $1.3 billion cuts.

[...]
===================
http://tomsriver.shorebeat.com/2020/...ax-surcharges/

chris08876 Jul 25, 2020 2:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8991389)
^ Are you laughing out of joy or laughing in tears?

Like the Joker laugh. A maniac laugh. :haha:

https://media2.giphy.com/media/f4YHfVZZunZUQ/giphy.gif

Its funny because we have the highest property taxes in the nation, and now, a nice increase is "just" what folks need, and sales tax too! :tup:

Now, we'd think logically it would be a short term hike, to pay for Corona related rubbish, but I bet it will stick for years and years. Not going away. Corona is a good excuse to tax folks for a mismanaged budget to begin with.

Its absurd.

xzmattzx Jul 25, 2020 2:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8991393)
Like the Joker laugh. A maniac laugh. :haha:

https://media2.giphy.com/media/f4YHfVZZunZUQ/giphy.gif

Its funny because we have the highest property taxes in the nation, and now, a nice increase is "just" what folks need, and sales tax too! :tup:

Now, we'd think logically it would be a short term hike, to pay for Corona related rubbish, but I bet it will stick for years and years. Not going away. Corona is a good excuse to tax folks for a mismanaged budget to begin with.

Its absurd.

Sounds like the Federal income tax, which was meant to be for the top 0.5% of the population when initially implemented.

chris08876 Jul 25, 2020 3:19 AM

That would be nice if its the case, but NJ has an excellent track record of doing the opposite. Things remotely tied to sales tax, tolls, property tax surcharges will effect a lot of folks.

This will burden folks even more (middle/upper middle class folks). What they really need to do, if they want to help people with covid recovery, is consolidate school districts (huge huge chunk of costs for folks and budgets) on the local level and reduce some public workers. NJ is over policed (suburban town salaries are well over 100k for towns where the biggest crime is a man making a noise complaint after his stock price dropped), with rampant abuse of funds. My town has a specialty fit fire truck that can fight airplane fires, and there isn't a bloody airport in my town). Abuse I tell yah. The 3500 sq ft colonials doesn't warrant Newark Airport worthy equipment.

Its going to be interesting how Covid will shape the budgets of "X" location. Not just NJ, but FL, TX, CA, and so on. This is taking a huge toll on states. Let's hope the Feds help states because if the burden is on the citizens in the acute sense (in NJ's case, these will permanent I bet, always is).

10023 Jul 25, 2020 8:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8991387)
Corona or not, this shit was gonna happen eventually. The tax rape continues!

= = = = =

:haha::haha::haha:

Murphy hints tax hikes in N.J. are likely because of coronavirus

=====================
https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/...ronavirus.html

Have to make sure working age people suffer even more because the elderly (like our own Pedestrian) refused to just stay in their own damn houses.

mhays Jul 25, 2020 4:41 PM

Actually because people like 10023 have to enjoy life. Don't blame others for your sociopathy.

JManc Jul 25, 2020 5:34 PM

God damn you Pedestrian! Stay the fuck home so guys like 10023 can hit the gym and have cocktails afterwards without being inconvenienced.

Vlajos Jul 25, 2020 5:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xzmattzx (Post 8991421)
Sounds like the Federal income tax, which was meant to be for the top 0.5% of the population when initially implemented.

Lol, taxes almost never go down in Illinois. In fact they are always trying to find something new to tax because our pols have no ability to control government spending.

mhays Jul 25, 2020 5:44 PM

We could have far better federal programs to support small businesses and the unemployed. It's not the shutdowns, but the lack of assistance.

10023 Jul 25, 2020 6:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8991709)
God damn you Pedestrian! Stay the fuck home so guys like 10023 can hit the gym and have cocktails afterwards without being inconvenienced.

It would be the same inconvenience, but forced on far fewer people, and with less opportunity cost. Let’s be honest, from about the age of 30 every year of life is worth less than the one that came before.

I’m not being a hypocrite, I feel exactly the same about my own later years.

I know you guys hate this, but tough. There has been generalised suffering when there only needed to be targeted suffering. And in terms of real economic harm, the lockdowns have only affected the young and not the old they were meant to protect. No one’s social security or pension payments have been reduced, but lots of incomes and career prospects and educations have suffered greatly. It’s all the result of a political power imbalance that favours the old.

Pedestrian Jul 25, 2020 7:18 PM

UCSF Grand Rounds: A tale of four COVID-19-ridden cities

From above link:
https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...704588/enhance

Pedestrian Jul 25, 2020 7:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8991525)
Have to make sure working age people suffer even more because the elderly (like our own Pedestrian) refused to just stay in their own damn houses.

Euthanasia is the answer.

It's clear your approach is to control the behavior of anyone whose behavior limits your own.

JManc Jul 25, 2020 8:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8991756)
It would be the same inconvenience, but forced on far fewer people, and with less opportunity cost. Let’s be honest, from about the age of 30 every year of life is worth less than the one that came before.

For you maybe but I am enjoying life more now in my 40's than I did in my 20's. I was broke then, out of shape and clueless about life in general. The only thing I was able to do then was party until 3AM and not sleep the next day away.

As for Pedestrian, it's selfish Zoomers and Millennials who refuse to take pandemic seriously the reason why the US is in the shape it's in with skyrocketing cases. If everyone wore masks and social distanced for a month or two, we all could go back to normal.

mhays Jul 25, 2020 9:19 PM

People like 10023 simply don't grasp the basics of Covid. It seems like he never will.

10023 Jul 25, 2020 9:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8991841)
For you maybe but I am enjoying life more now in my 40's than I did in my 20's. I was broke then, out of shape and clueless about life in general. The only thing I was able to do then was party until 3AM and not sleep the next day away.

As for Pedestrian, it's selfish Zoomers and Millennials who refuse to take pandemic seriously the reason why the US is in the shape it's in with skyrocketing cases. If everyone wore masks and social distanced for a month or two, we all could go back to normal.

I said “about 30” for a reason. Most people are broke and/or working too hard in their 20s to really enjoy them, but one’s 30s should be the time to have disposable income and the youth to enough it. It’s all downhill from there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhays (Post 8991880)
People like 10023 simply don't grasp the basics of Covid. It seems like he never will.

You have been frightened into thinking that the risks to younger, healthy people are greater than they actually are (i.e., infinitesimal) by a concerted public health and media campaign conducted to promote compliance with things like social distancing and mask-wearing amongst people who aren’t really vulnerable to this.

But people aren’t stupid, and everyone in their 20s and 30s knows that they are taking a greater risk crossing the street than going to a restaurant or meeting with friends without a mask.