SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

Pedestrian Apr 23, 2020 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8902068)
Reduced volume of fee paying passengers, revenue dropping to a much greater extent than operating costs can be cut, and they need to make some of it up in price to keep the service operating. It’s not complicated, and there’s no magic money tree to pay for it otherwise.

Quote:

BART and Muni to get largest share of $780 million in federal coronavirus stimulus funds
Rachel Swan April 22, 2020 Updated: April 22, 2020 8:02 p.m.

BART and Muni will receive the greatest share of the $780 million in stimulus funding doled out to Bay Area transit agencies, the first round of what will ultimately be $1.3 billion from the federal coronavirus deal struck by Congress.

Under a plan approved Wednesday by the regional Metropolitan Transportation Commission, BART will receive about $250 million, while San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency, which runs Muni, will collect $197 million. Both agencies are scrambling to stanch losses of hundreds of millions of dollars in fare revenue, and they stand to lose more if the recession causes sales tax dollars to dip.

The commission distributed the money using a formula that considered the budgets and operating costs of each transit agency in the Bay Area, as well as the amount of funding they typically draw from fares. Officials tried to prioritize agencies facing “immediate and deep holes” as riders peeled away and the economy withered, said Therese McMillan, executive director of the commission . . . .
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...0-15219313.php

jtown,man Apr 24, 2020 1:14 AM

New Orleans looks insane.

mhays Apr 24, 2020 4:27 AM

Washington, which used to lead the US, is now way back in the pack with fewer deaths than average per capita, though more than median.

Our regs are working, including office people like me working from home for six weeks so far.

SlidellWx Apr 24, 2020 4:39 AM

Things are definitely getting better here in New Orleans. New cases are significantly down, and the hospitals have plenty of capacity. Even with the sharp spike in cases in late March, the hospital system was fortunately never overwhelmed. Elective procedures will start up again on Monday, and the governor has indicated that most non-essential business can reopen in a limited capacity in May.

mrnyc Apr 24, 2020 5:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 8901428)
Interesting...

Los Angeles County's Metro is still operating, but on April 19, all buses and trains started operating on a modified Sunday schedule. All boarding on buses is through the rear door only, with exception of wheelchair users of course.

City of LA's DASH buses, as well as Foothill Transit buses (which serve the San Gabriel and Pomona Valleys) have been free since at least the stay-at-home order. Boarding is also through the rear door only.

same for nyc basically.

Pedestrian Apr 24, 2020 8:07 AM

^^Who would ride a bus who can afford to do otherwise? Frankly, I'm worried about getting into a taxi or Uber that may have just been vacated by someone spewing viri and I certainly don't want to be on a bus with multiple people. To be honest, I'm planning on getting a rental car to return to San Francisco in about 6 weeks and even that is making me nervous (you can't wipe down the entire interior with alcohol).

Crawford Apr 24, 2020 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8902838)
^^Who would ride a bus who can afford to do otherwise? Frankly, I'm worried about getting into a taxi or Uber that may have just been vacated by someone spewing viri and I certainly don't want to be on a bus with multiple people.

How else would essential workers get to their jobs in transit-oriented areas? Parking is limited-to-nonexistent (and many transient garages are shuttered), and I'm not clear why Uber/taxi would be safer than train/bus. People aren't gonna bike super long distances. Some people still need transit.

Pedestrian Apr 24, 2020 4:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 8902855)
How else would essential workers get to their jobs in transit-oriented areas? Parking is limited-to-nonexistent (and many transient garages are shuttered), and I'm not clear why Uber/taxi would be safer than train/bus. People aren't gonna bike super long distances. Some people still need transit.

That’s why I referred to “people who can afford to do otherwise”. Why is a taxi safer? Because it’s just you and the driver in it. Ideally, there would be a plastic shield between even these two as I understand is being done in parts of Asia.

iheartthed Apr 24, 2020 4:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhays (Post 8902783)
Washington, which used to lead the US, is now way back in the pack with fewer deaths than average per capita, though more than median.

Our regs are working, including office people like me working from home for six weeks so far.

I think we're on about the third or fourth cycle of U.S. covid-19 hotspots. The first hotspots were Washington State and California. The second NYC Metro. Third were New Orleans, Detroit, Chicago, Albany GA. The fourth looks like Boston, Florida, South Dakota, and some other places.

Interestingly, though, nobody has been as successful as containing it as Washington State. California was successful for a while, but has seen its infections rebound quite a lot. Most of the other hotspots have plateaued at a constant level of infections that is lower than peak but still quite substantial.

The plateauing indicates that a full rollback of the social distancing would cause a massive spike in cases. Since places like NYC, Detroit, and N.O. were already dangerously close to overwhelming their health care systems the first time around, if these places go back into hotspot growth mode their systems would quickly get be swamped. If you have plans for the summer, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Yuri Apr 24, 2020 5:08 PM

51,000 deaths in the US already. That's a whole Vietnam War in mere two months.

The whole thing is so depressing and without proper vaccines, this nightmare will keep going indefinitely.

Pedestrian Apr 24, 2020 5:39 PM

Quote:

Coronavirus Could Upend New York-New Jersey Infrastructure Projects
By Paul Berger
April 23, 2020 5:41 pm ET

The coronavirus pandemic is threatening billions of dollars earmarked for New York City’s airports and other major infrastructure projects.

Rick Cotton, executive director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, said Thursday that without federal assistance the agency may significantly scale back its 10-year, $37 billion spending plans.

Mr. Cotton, speaking during and after a virtual board meeting, didn’t specify which projects are threatened. He said that renovations at LaGuardia Airport, which began several years ago, remain on schedule, adding, “We are committed to finishing the construction that is under way at LaGuardia.”

The Port Authority is midway through renovations at Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey and is still in the early stages of a massive overhaul of John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York.

The Port Authority’s spending plan also includes a complete overhaul of its Midtown Manhattan bus terminal and an expansion of capacity on the Path rail system. Both normally carry hundreds of thousands of commuters between New Jersey and Manhattan.

Libby McCarthy, the authority’s chief financial officer, said in a presentation to board members that this year began well, with revenues up across most Port Authority facilities in January and February.

The authority budgeted for annual gross revenues this year of $5.8 billion. The biggest profit makers are its airports and six toll bridges and tunnels, which generated annual income from operations last year of $525 million and $915 million, respectively.

Ms. McCarthy said that by the end of March, in the wake of shutdowns, average weekday traffic at vehicular crossings was down 60%, while passenger numbers at the airports and on Path were down about 95%.

Last month, ahead of the first federal coronavirus bailout, the Port Authority requested $1.9 billion from the government. Mr. Cotton said the agency received $450 million, which was earmarked by the Federal Aviation Administration to cover losses at its airports.

He said that even those funds might not cover the authority’s airport revenue losses, as the crisis continues . . . .
https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronav...=hp_listb_pos3

The North One Apr 24, 2020 8:06 PM

Coronavirus Has Infected A 5th Of New York City, Testing Suggests

Quote:

It was already clear that the coronavirus has the capacity to spread at an alarming rate — that, of course, is why states across the country implemented sweeping measures to slow the rate at which it was filling hospitals. But new numbers released Thursday by New York, the state hardest hit by the virus so far, offered a startling glimpse of just how far the virus has spread there so far.

Based on the preliminary results of the first round of antibody testing conducted across New York, state officials estimate that 21.2% of New York City residents have contracted the coronavirus. Statewide, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said an estimated 2.7 million residents — or 13.9% of the state's population — have been infected.
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...sting-suggests

mrnyc Apr 25, 2020 2:57 PM

cute!

https://twitter.com/jerm_cohen/statu...575107079?s=20

softee Apr 25, 2020 4:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The North One (Post 8903334)
Coronavirus Has Infected A 5th Of New York City, Testing Suggests

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...sting-suggests

So the number of people that were infected (with most recovering without even knowing they were infected) is 10 times higher than what they thought it was, therefore the fatality rate is 10 times lower than what they thought it was.

Why isn't this bigger news?

The North One Apr 25, 2020 4:57 PM

^ Because that's kinda already been implied/known for months now. But we have no concrete data to confirm it.

mhays Apr 25, 2020 5:08 PM

Yes, the numbers are interesting but the concept was assumed.

We've been testing the people who seem to be infected, medical professionals, and relatively few others. We always knew that many others were infected (that's the reason for broad shutdowns) but didn't have even a decent sampling.

This really drives home the need for the shutdowns to continue...and I'd be even more leery of the average takeout place or random person on the street.

10023 Apr 25, 2020 5:51 PM

^ I would draw the opposite conclusion.

This confirms what many epidemiologists said back in February, and Angela Merkel was the first global leader to voice publicly. Most people will be infected sooner or later no matter what, and certainly before a vaccine exists.

If that’s the case, then what’s the difference if you get it next week or in 3 months? The only thing creating a risk of “excess deaths” was an overwhelmed healthcare system that led to people dying who could otherwise be saved. That risk is increasingly looking like it’s behind us, so the “herd immunity” strategy again becomes the more optimal balance between public health and economic, social and psychological damage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuriandrade (Post 8903129)
51,000 deaths in the US already. That's a whole Vietnam War in mere two months.

The whole thing is so depressing and without proper vaccines, this nightmare will keep going indefinitely.

Different casualties, however.

There’s a big difference between 20 year olds being killed in senseless fighting and people who are nearing or beyond average life expectancy succumbing to disease.

hauntedheadnc Apr 25, 2020 5:57 PM

This is a cheesy video of someone reading a badly-written "poem" while various members of the Asheville Symphony Orchestra play their instruments from their homes.

Video Link

Not gonna lie... When I watched it the first time, by the end I was a sobbing mess.

I find myself on the verge of tears a lot more lately.

jtown,man Apr 25, 2020 9:09 PM

Yeah, we all know we are banned from comparing the flu to Corona, so it goes without saying we should ban war and Corona comparisons, which make no sense.

Anyways, back to OT. My mayor has still not budged on allowing people to ride their bikes on the 18-mile lakefront trail. As soon as school ends I will be heading down to Arkansas to spend my money and enjoy life.

SIGSEGV Apr 25, 2020 9:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by softee (Post 8903956)
So the number of people that were infected (with most recovering without even knowing they were infected) is 10 times higher than what they thought it was, therefore the fatality rate is 10 times lower than what they thought it was.

Why isn't this bigger news?

In fact the numbers suggest an IFR of around 1%, which is exactly where experts expected it to be. Unfortunately the media has been conflating CFRs with IFRs which has resulted in mass confusion.