SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   The Brightline Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198371)

Hatman Nov 6, 2015 9:39 PM

As far as I know, AAF hasn't said anything about a stop specifically in Cocoa, even though they have alluded that they are open to more infill station in the future. I do remember that Brevard was interested in building the stop with county money, so that passengers could connect to the port and the cruise ships there. Here's a LINK for that.
The county would be justified in financing a stop because the easy passenger connection (direct from the airport, no less!) would bring more cruise ship business to the port.
And if there is one thing we all know, it's that if the prospect of government money exists in even the smallest possibility, no one will be willing to finance the station on their own. Not even AAF. So I wouldn't expect to hear much about this station until a deal with the county is announced, or the county completely trashes the idea.
I agree that Cocoa is an ideal location for a station; the trains will already be going pretty slowly through there to make the turn off the existing mainline onto the expressway line. It's just a matter of time before such a thing happens, though unfortunately that amount of time seems to be highly dependent on politics.

atlantaguy Nov 7, 2015 6:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist (Post 7224270)
Eightball-- I agree with you. I've heard Rep. Mica describe Amtrak countless times as "Soviet-style rail," irregardless that Amtrak has enjoyed growing ridership every year for the past decade and the Northeast corridor is a profitable service.

Wow! I had no idea, Eightball & 202.

I only know him from a Florida perspective, and frankly moved away years ago.

I stand corrected, and thanks for setting me straight.

I stand by my original statements to others though that this has absolutely zero to do with CSX.

Hatman Nov 9, 2015 4:32 PM

I guess I get to be the one to break the news!

All Aboard Florida = Brightline

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/d960...ine-Trains.jpg

LINK

Not the type of name or branding I was expecting - It's not really in the vein of 'classic American railroading' - but I do like it. I like it soooo much better than 'All Aboard Florida.'

Hatman Nov 9, 2015 5:03 PM

This is the video you will see if you go to www.gobrightline.com

Video Link

Also, from the SunSentinal:

Quote:

Bightline is the name of a new express train service that will connect South Florida to Orlando, a name that officials hope people will associate with a smart, new way of getting around Florida and an optimistic view of the future.

Officials for the private company All Aboard Florida unveiled the name and first images of the futuristic looking trains at a news conference Monday in downtown Miami, on the site of the service's new station under construction.

When the service starts in mid-2017, expect to see eye-catching silver trains accented in a spectrum of five colors — red, orange, green, blue and pink — and each pulled by a yellow locomotive. A ribbon of yellow with the train's "brightline" logo will adorn each car, tying the color scheme to the locomotives.

A total of 10 train sets are being built at a Siemens plant in Sacremento, Calif. The first trains will be delivered in the summer of 2016 and begin undergoing tests.

The locomotives will have sleek lines reminiscent of bullet trains in Europe and officials say they are being crafted to support the image of speed and quickness. The same colors will be an integral part of stations in Miami, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach with lighting and signs.

"Typically, trains have been one color, either gray or silver, and tend to blend into the background," said Michael Reininger, All Aboard Florida's president. "As our trains pull into the stations, their colorful entry will be another way that Brightline takes the gray out of travel."

The Rockwell Group, which has designed hotels and restaurants around the world and Broadway productions of Hairspray and Kinky Boots, developed the brand for the new train service, including the logo, train exteriors and interiors and the insides of the new stations. Also introduced Monday are the train's new website — www.gobrightline.com — along with social media sites on Facebook and Twitter.

Officials say the Brightline name was chosen about two years ago and kept a closely guarded secret until Monday. They say the name underscores that the new train service will be more than just a means of transportation, but a consumer-oriented hospitality service closely tied with the tourism industry.

Troyeth Nov 9, 2015 5:19 PM

The name is simple, easy-to-remember, and easily "verbified".

As long as the service is high-quality, it'll become a great brand.

Busy Bee Nov 10, 2015 2:40 AM

The name and paint scheme/graphic concept is pretty cool. Very French/Euro which is a welcome departure from most nostalgic, RV swirl and just plain bad brand identities for commuter systems in the U.S.

I will donate my kidney if those locomotives look like that though. We all know they've reported they are using Charger locomotives — and those are no way those locos. Not to beat a dead horse but we all know FRA regs wouldn't allow such a sleek euro style lightweight locomotive on trackage shared with freight.

bobdreamz Nov 10, 2015 3:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatman (Post 7228832)
I guess I get to be the one to break the news!

All Aboard Florida = Brightline

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/d960...ine-Trains.jpg

LINK

Not the type of name or branding I was expecting - It's not really in the vein of 'classic American railroading' - but I do like it. I like it soooo much better than 'All Aboard Florida.'

A great day for the state of Florida and for the metros of Miami & Orlando. Now unto Jacksonville & Tampa!

The First Coast needs to get their "ducks in order" so AAF can expand to Jax and include Cocoa (Port Canaveral) and Daytona eventually. The lame duck city/ metro in all of this sadly is Tampa and when they will realize that they are being left behind?

Busy Bee Nov 10, 2015 4:30 AM

Tampa should push for true HSR in the 1-4 that would have been built if it wasn't for your birdbrained governor. That leg at least should remain a priority HSR project.

bobdreamz Nov 10, 2015 4:11 PM

^ Tampa can't even push for rail in it's own city nevermind HSR!

Hatman Nov 10, 2015 4:26 PM

Here is a rendering for the standard Siemens Charger:
http://c1cleantechnicacom.wpengine.n...unnamed-22.jpg

It doesn't look all that different. The changes would be an aerodynamic nose that covers the couplers and cables, and a lack of a snowplow. I don't think that would be enough for the FRA to ban Brightline's design.

lio45 Nov 10, 2015 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatman (Post 7230246)
Here is a rendering for the standard Siemens Charger:
http://c1cleantechnicacom.wpengine.n...unnamed-22.jpg

It doesn't look all that different. The changes would be an aerodynamic nose that covers the couplers and cables, and a lack of a snowplow. I don't think that would be enough for the FRA to ban Brightline's design.

That looks great... better even, IMHO, than the ones in the official Brightline pics.

I like the new name, as well.

lio45 Nov 10, 2015 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatman (Post 7226308)
I agree that Cocoa is an ideal location for a station; the trains will already be going pretty slowly through there to make the turn off the existing mainline onto the expressway line. It's just a matter of time before such a thing happens, though unfortunately that amount of time seems to be highly dependent on politics.

I don't mind if it takes time, as long as the door remains open for it to eventually happen. :)

Last I checked, I think there's a SCAT shuttle that goes to Port Canaveral from the Cocoa train station -- this leg of the trip to the barrier islands/beach/port can easily be covered by bus anyway.

electricron Nov 11, 2015 4:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lio45 (Post 7230820)
I don't mind if it takes time, as long as the door remains open for it to eventually happen. :)

Last I checked, I think there's a SCAT shuttle that goes to Port Canaveral from the Cocoa train station -- this leg of the trip to the barrier islands/beach/port can easily be covered by bus anyway.

It's already being covered by buses today from the Orlando airport. How else do you think most cruise passengers get to the cruise ships? A train station in the Cocoa area will just make that bus trip shorter.

lio45 Nov 11, 2015 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electricron (Post 7231097)
How else do you think most cruise passengers get to the cruise ships?

"Most"? I'd say, likely with their car (either their own or a rental).

eleven=11 Nov 15, 2015 5:30 PM

frightlined
http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news/...es-new-/npMnj/

Eightball Nov 16, 2015 4:44 PM

^^^ great transpo project, but dumb re-naming

What was wrong with AAF/ All Aboard Florida? Much more logical and better name imo

Busy Bee Nov 16, 2015 8:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eightball (Post 7237122)
^^^ great transpo project, but dumb re-naming

What was wrong with AAF/ All Aboard Florida? Much more logical and better name imo

Or how about Florida East Coast Railway?

It's the lure of the new at play here.

Hatman Nov 16, 2015 11:21 PM

This is a pleasant piece of news:
Boaters, All Aboard Florida make peace over New River bridge

LINK

It seems the 'Bridge Tender' idea works as advertised. Hopefully this satisfies some of the objections to this project and dampens some of the animosity towards AAF. I think it's weird that in this 21st century a 'high speed' rail company would need to hire a dude to sit next to a bridge and watch it open and close - I mean, why not have a bunch of cameras so the people in Jacksonville can see what the tender will see? - but I'm also proud of AAF for doing stuff to try and 'compromise' with the public, so that the animosity is kept to a minimum. After all, if the neighbors hate the Brightliners, then the opposition to any expansion (and to all other rail projects in the US) will be greatly heightened.

eleven=11 Nov 20, 2015 9:28 PM

try this link - good video
http://67.214.100.182/Player?ClipId=...ted=PV_3&pbp=N

N830MH Nov 21, 2015 4:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eleven=11 (Post 7243242)

Sorry, man. I won't watch it. I don't want to watch a whole news. Try to do something else.