SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

SIGSEGV Apr 18, 2020 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8896907)
Wow, the IHME finally updated their models again and Arizona looks amazingly better. Rather than having weeks to go until our "peak", we have passed it:

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...167227/enhance
https://covid19.healthdata.org/unite...merica/arizona

Is the IHME model still based on the (possibly faulty) Chinese data?

Steely Dan Apr 18, 2020 1:30 AM

* one more thing *

anyone who refuses to use the official name for Covid-19 and instead replaces it with their own little trollish name for the disease can expect their posts to be summarily deleted.

ALL political trolling belongs with the other crap in the CE toilet, not here in one of the worthwhile parts of the forum.

Lear Apr 18, 2020 11:00 AM

Beaver conquers quiet shopping area in Berlin....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EV4DnSKX...g&name=360x360

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EV4DnSJW...jpg&name=small

mrnyc Apr 18, 2020 8:07 PM

dranks to go — local filipino joint — west village


http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/...pseor8x4bt.jpg

iheartthed Apr 18, 2020 8:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrnyc (Post 8897585)
dranks to go — local filipino joint — west village


http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/...pseor8x4bt.jpg

Hard pass on that.

mrnyc Apr 18, 2020 9:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8897598)
Hard pass on that.

why is that?

did you lose a relative in the battle of bataan?

iheartthed Apr 18, 2020 9:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrnyc (Post 8897612)
why is that?

did you lose a relative in the battle of bataan?

  1. Nothing against Filipino cuisine.
  2. What happens at the table? It doesn't exactly seem sanitary to make mixed drinks on a West Village sidewalk in this current environment.
  3. To the extent that my go to restaurants have remained open, I have tried to support. But paying bar prices for alcoholic drinks is about the experience. I won't be paying $12 for a margarita to drink while I sit at home streaming movies on Netflix.

mrnyc Apr 18, 2020 10:37 PM

^ thats exactly why i have never stopped there.

usually too many people hoovering around and too much $$$.

i like the idea of it more than the reality.

that said, we did buy probably some of the last cans of corona beer (!) and drink them in the park while waiting on a nearby restaurant takeout order. thats more my speed anyway.

muppet Apr 19, 2020 8:55 AM

I can imagine the missive sent from Corona beer HQ to its employees.

Covid 19 or C-19 is the official name of the mild flu currently going round. If anyone is heard using the term "Coronav*rus" their employment will be terminated with immediate effect.

I've heard it's had to stop production.

Acajack Apr 19, 2020 10:59 AM

I take it the Corona brewery shutdown is only temporary?

10023 Apr 19, 2020 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8896492)
Multiple vaccines are already in clinical trials or about to be. Moderna’s is. Johnson and Johnson’s is or is about to be. So is one from Novavax. There are 2 in China developed there.

70 Coronavirus Vaccines Are Under Development, With 3 in Human Trials, WHO Says

The most interesting vaccine candidates use niether live attenuated virus nor killed whole virus. Love to know what you do for a living so I could understand where you get your BS.

I know about all of the vaccine development programs. FierceBiotech keeps a good running list and is the best place for updates (it’s an industry blog).

What I am saying is that there is not and has never been a successful vaccine produced for any of this group of viruses. That doesn’t mean it isn’t possible, just that we don’t have a precedent example, which means it isn’t a foregone conclusion that they will be successful in producing one. Partly this is because most coronaviruses (the endemic ones in humans) produce mild cold symptoms and aren’t worthwhile to vaccinate against, and because the SARS and MERS vaccine programs were terminated at very early stages because these outbreaks petered out on their own.

When you say “the most interesting vaccine candidates” which are neither live nor dead virus, I assume you mean the mRNA (messenger RNA) approach, which is a gene therapy being developed by Moderna among others (indeed, it’s Moderna’s ticker symbol). But this has never resulted in an FDA-approved therapy for any disease. There’s good theoretical support for it, and some pre-clinical evidence, but it’s completely unproven.

Recent article with some background:
https://www.fiercebiotech.com/biotec...ne-to-approval

mrnyc Apr 19, 2020 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acajack (Post 8897950)
I take it the Corona brewery shutdown is only temporary?


yes, but because of the corona, not because of the name. :cheers:


https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/04/03/b...ion/index.html

10023 Apr 19, 2020 2:32 PM

They seem to have given up on keeping people from hanging out and sunbathing in parks. If this leads to shutting them down I’ll be furious.

First thing they need to do is ban children from the parks. It’s impossible to socially distance with them swerving bikes all over a path, and families are never really there for “exercise” (if a walk with the kids is exercise for you, you are probably at high risk health-wise and should stay home). Then keep much older people out as they’re both at risk and the most inconsiderate in terms of sharing space (always, not just with coronavirus).

mrnyc Apr 19, 2020 3:34 PM

well, for now one can always use the one’s interweb or one’s imagination to frolick in parks.

as say, one might imagine a brisk stroll across an england glen from their basement abode in peoria.

:haha:

10023 Apr 19, 2020 4:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8897617)
  1. Nothing against Filipino cuisine.
  2. What happens at the table? It doesn't exactly seem sanitary to make mixed drinks on a West Village sidewalk in this current environment.
  3. To the extent that my go to restaurants have remained open, I have tried to support. But paying bar prices for alcoholic drinks is about the experience. I won't be paying $12 for a margarita to drink while I sit at home streaming movies on Netflix.

I kind of agree with your last point, and that’s why I don’t believe in food delivery. Haven’t ordered in once during lockdown and I don’t really plan to.

I’m not paying a premium over the restaurant prices to eat lukewarm food out of a cardboard box that was probably flipped upside down by the delivery guy, at least not unless I can expense it.

suburbanite Apr 19, 2020 7:13 PM

Sushi is relatively delivery friendly. Was ordering it every other day after the initial shutdown when I was still going into the office but grocery stores were being cleaned out.

I can't really justify ordering a warm sandwhich, buritto, or anything that gets cold and soggy.

10023 Apr 19, 2020 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suburbanite (Post 8898206)
Sushi is relatively delivery friendly. Was ordering it every other day after the initial shutdown when I was still going into the office but grocery stores were being cleaned out.

I can't really justify ordering a warm sandwhich, buritto, or anything that gets cold and soggy.

I absolutely despise cheap sushi, and I’m not keen on spending £90 on delivery for two that often.

montréaliste Apr 19, 2020 11:43 PM

[QUOTE=10023;8898342]I absolutely despise cheap sushi, and I’m not keen on spending £90 on delivery for two that often.[/QUOTE



Did you mean £90 for sushi delivered?

bnk Apr 20, 2020 1:07 AM

10023 is correct about delivered sushi even from good places.




Good sushi is not comparable to the experience in the restaurant esp when you are at the sushi bar communicating with the staff.


I have taken good sushi home from good sushi restaurants and it never compares to eating it in the restaurant ever in the many times I tried it.

And I'm not talking about gas station fake crap. I'm talking about high end sushi places. Even them than not replicate the experience of being there.

Its similar to good thin crust pizza places that will not deliver because of their crust not being cracker crust not being of the quality of eating it right out of an oven that is hot enough to cremate someone.

You cant put that in a cardboard box for 30 mins and expect to get what you expect when you eat it right there.


That's why good thin crust Chicago pizza places will not deliver and will not even allow takeout.


But getting back to Sushi.

The rice needs to be warm and the fish only slightly cold.


Getting delivered or take out sushi destroys the entire experience esp when its not a cheap meal to begin with.

Its the experience and the beer and drinks and the whole experience that makes dine in sushi worth the price. You simply cannot take that home and get the same effect. Trust me I tried it multiple times and was always disappointed enough never to do it again even from the best sushi restaurants.

Acajack Apr 20, 2020 1:21 AM

[QUOTE=montréaliste;8898398]
Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8898342)
I absolutely despise cheap sushi, and I’m not keen on spending £90 on delivery for two that often.[/QUOTE



Did you mean £90 for sushi delivered?

What's 90 quid for sushi when you spend 10000 bucks on a couch?


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.