SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

chris08876 Mar 24, 2020 7:50 PM

Did anybody just hear the POTUS reference packed churches on Easter. Seems like he's aiming for Easter Sunday so that congregations can occur. Not tele-congregations, but packed churches... :koko:

Hopefully people avoid churches in their cities or the churches do the right thing or temples and remain closed.

chris08876 Mar 24, 2020 7:51 PM

2,400 NYC officers, or 7%, called out sick yesterday.

Pedestrian Mar 24, 2020 7:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8872558)
Ebay has a lot of that stuff.

Try ebay for some of the harder items. Although be warned, you pay a premium.

For groceries, I use Shoprite, which is a local tri-state grocery store chain, and they do home delivery or you can pick it up in person. Just place the order online or via phone. Given the demand, there is a processing period, so in my case, you gotta do it in advance.

I've tried all the local grocery stores. None of them have any available delivery dates--presumably booked up. I'm afraid of Ebay--scams/frauds/fakes. Actually, if grocery stores had what I want I could probably get it with Instacart but generally they don't. Walgreen's/CVS more likely but Instacart doesn't deliver from them.

Pedestrian Mar 24, 2020 7:59 PM

My AZ street. Not a human in sight. I stood in the driveway and watched for a few minutes. No one appeared (sometimes there's a dog walker). One car drove by.

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...079642/enhance

homebucket Mar 24, 2020 8:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8872490)
In what municiplaity and where did you hear it? I am calling BS on any such thing without an authoritative source.

Here's why I'm so skeptical. Take the beaches and parks: Did Gov. Newsome send the state police to them to walk around handing out citations? They could have handed out a lot. No. He closed the parking lots, but no individual enforcement. That's the sort of thing that's happening.

I'm not sure, it could be fake news. But I did see that they could fine if people are found disobeying the orders.

https://www.sccgov.org/sites/phd/Dis...er-031620.aspx

Quote:

Violation of or failure to comply with this Order is a misdemeanor punishable by fine, imprisonment, or both. (California Health and Safety Code § 120295, et seq.)

Steely Dan Mar 24, 2020 9:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handro (Post 8872303)
.It's good you're taking a high-minded approach, I know when I was laid off once before it really hit me hard after about a week. I hope you're able to keep taking this self-inventory every day to get through it.

It's certainly a lot easier to stay more upbeat with the safety net we've built for ourselves, and the prospect that my wife will hopefully start making some real money with her new business within the next 6 months (and now she has a live-in assistant for the time being who can help with some of the more menial tasks of building a new business), and the ridiculous privilege of both of us having well-off Boomer parents who are not going to let our family go into financial ruin/live on the street if my wife's new business completely flops and I can't find a new arch/constr. job for a long time.

Some people think that having faith is stupid, but I find it necessary.

But it's easy for me to say that. For the millions of paycheck-to-paycheckers out there who will also be joining me in the unemployment lines, their fear is orders of magnitude more real.

the urban politician Mar 24, 2020 9:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8872680)
It's certainly a lot easier to stay more upbeat with the safety net we've built for ourselves, and the prospect that my wife will hopefully start making some real money with her new business within the next 6 months (and now she has a live-in assistant for the time being who can help with some of the more menial tasks of building a new business), and the ridiculous privilege of both of us having well-off Boomer parents who are not going to let our family go into financial ruin/live on the street if my wife's new business completely flops and I can't find a new arch/constr. job for a long time.

Some people think that having faith is stupid, but I find it necessary.

But it's easy for me to say that. For the millions of paycheck-to-paycheckers out there who will also be joining me in the unemployment lines, the fear is orders of magnitude more real.

I’m truly sorry for you that you got laid off. That sucks, but I’m sure you will ultimately pull through.

But I have to say to everyone here, whether you loathe or love the President, or whether you loathe or love that Lt. Governor guy in Texas who talked about the elderly sacrificing for the economy—real people are getting utterly throttled by this quarantine right now.

There is nothing wrong with having the discussion about at what point it is worth it. Whole industries are about to collapse and millions of small businesses are weeks away (or sooner) from being completely wiped out of existence. Yes. This matters—a lot.

I was irritated by Illinois Gov Pritzker today—who is otherwise doing a great job—who brushed it aside as an economy that is “slowing down” but otherwise dismissed those concerns to adopt a tone of “We must stay the course till the end because that is what public health experts are telling me”. Fine, we don’t want people to die. Nobody does. But he is personally sitting on a $2.5 billion family fortune so he seemed just a wee bit out of touch when he said that.

This is only going to get worse economically. I’m sure there are at least a sizable number of people out there who’d rather just plain die than go bankrupt.

Another question is, if this stay at home order drags on for weeks and months, whether an increasingly agitated public decides to flagrantly disobey such orders en masse. At this point we have no idea what can happen, this is such uncharted territory for America today in 2020.

The North One Mar 24, 2020 10:19 PM

Pence is saying New York metro area has 60% of all new cases in the whole country and that people are leaving en masse. This is insane.

It was just some days ago I think somebody was posting on here that street activity and life was normal. It made me think maybe they were bypassing the crisis. How wrong I was.

sopas ej Mar 24, 2020 10:28 PM

First COVID-19 death of someone under 18 in Los Angeles County...

From Yahoo News:

L.A. County reports first death of a coronavirus patient under 18 as cases top 660


Link: https://news.yahoo.com/california-co...141504592.html

chris08876 Mar 24, 2020 11:18 PM

NYC related;

= = = =


Summary of DOB Current Service Changes in Response to COVID-19


chris08876 Mar 24, 2020 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The North One (Post 8872773)
Pence is saying New York metro area has 60% of all new cases in the whole country and that people are leaving en masse. This is insane.

It was just some days ago I think somebody was posting on here that street activity and life was normal. It made me think maybe they were bypassing the crisis. How wrong I was.

In my town and in general, I have been noticing some NY Plates on vehicles parked outside of houses. I'd imagine folks are staying with friends or family in NJ, but one of those things that possibly some NY folks are bringing contamination to parts of NJ or even parts of Eastern PA where some New Yorkers tend to have homes (2nd ones).

Usually you get a feel of what cars tend to be common in ones neighborhood, and I've been seeing an increasing amount of NY plates. And this was before Saturday nights lock down. Even just riding the bike for exercise, some of those NY plates are popping up.

Good thing Florida is requiring self-quarantined for certain state visitors.

chris08876 Mar 24, 2020 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8872727)

Another question is, if this stay at home order drags on for weeks and months, whether an increasingly agitated public decides to flagrantly disobey such orders en masse. At this point we have no idea what can happen, this is such uncharted territory for America today in 2020.

Based on the interpretation ( I think) of what this administration is planning (I know, every day is a new surprise) ... but I believe what they want to do is reevaluate the situation in like 2 weeks, and open up parts of the country that are not impacted as much and focus on areas via containment that are having issues.

Which sucks, because this means that the NY Metro pretty much is in for the long-run, unless this can be curtailed. IDK how the heck they are going to prioritize who gets to reopen and who remains in lock down and how they are going to keep the spread at bay with domestic travel, but we shall see.

I think we will probally see state to state restrictions (some open, some closed) which is going to make the whole thing confusing.

xzmattzx Mar 24, 2020 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The North One (Post 8872773)
Pence is saying New York metro area has 60% of all new cases in the whole country and that people are leaving en masse. This is insane.

It was just some days ago I think somebody was posting on here that street activity and life was normal. It made me think maybe they were bypassing the crisis. How wrong I was.

That would explain the mandatory isolation from anyone from New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut that enters Florida.

Do we ever get to a point where a state closes its borders? Would a state actually set up police and shut down an Interstate and check to see where drivers are going and why they are entering a state?

mhays Mar 25, 2020 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8872586)
Did anybody just hear the POTUS reference packed churches on Easter. Seems like he's aiming for Easter Sunday so that congregations can occur. Not tele-congregations, but packed churches... :koko:

Hopefully people avoid churches in their cities or the churches do the right thing or temples and remain closed.

With known US cases rising by 10,000 per day (9,861 today), advice like that will kill a lot of people if it's not stopped.

Some leaders don't have the brains to grasp this, but until every stat is WAY down, any reduced effort will bring a big wave of new infections. I mean way fewer known infecteds, which is a vague indicator of unknown infecteds.

Another point: The death rate will rise substantially if patient beds, ventilators, etc., run out, and we have to start picking who gets saved. We can't let this get much bigger.

I suspect the responsible states will get flattening or declining curves soon. But anyone without a decent governor is heading for a disaster. And the responsible states will suffer along with them.

JManc Mar 25, 2020 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The North One (Post 8872773)
Pence is saying New York metro area has 60% of all new cases in the whole country and that people are leaving en masse. This is insane..

Upstaters on my Facebook feed are posting memes about how people from NYC/ Downstate should not head north and infect them.

A little too late, Upstate has almost a thousand cases already.

KevinFromTexas Mar 25, 2020 12:38 AM

Working age people are getting slammed here.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/trav...iO2B33UVtDvR7g
Quote:

56% of Travis County COVID-19 patients are younger than 40, HSEM says

by: Russell Falcon
Posted: Mar 24, 2020 / 07:04 PM CDT / Updated: Mar 24, 2020 / 07:12 PM CDT

AUSTIN (KXAN) — On Tuesday, City of Austin Homeland Security and Emergency Management released the latest numbers for COVID-19 cases in Travis County — broken down by age group.

The age breakdown, according to HSEM, is:

0-9 — 1 case
10-19 — 1 case
20-29 — 27 cases
30-39 — 26 cases
40-49 — 15 cases
50-59 — 14 cases
60-69 — 10 cases
70-79 — 3 cases
80 and up — 1 case

BnaBreaker Mar 25, 2020 12:54 AM

I think part of the reason the percentage of infected youth seems to be higher here in the US is that, along with many young people simply being flippant and careless and not taking this seriously enough, many more of them in this country still have to work to make ends meet due to the lack of adequate social safety nets in this country.

Qubert Mar 25, 2020 1:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BnaBreaker (Post 8872943)
I think part of the reason the percentage of infected youth seems to be higher here in the US is that, along with many young people simply being flippant and careless and not taking this seriously enough, many more of them in this country still have to work to make ends meet due to the lack of adequate social safety nets in this country.

The issue with this theory is if you look at countries like Italy where multiple generations live under one roof, if Grandpa gets it (and eventually dies), then it stands to reason the younger kids would get it too (like everyone). I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts there's something to this dynamic that explains why Mediterranean countries are becoming such hot zones.

jtown,man Mar 25, 2020 1:21 AM

At what point do we stop staying home? 2 weeks? 2 months? When?

At some point we have to realize we are doing more damage destroying people's lives than we are doing good. And don't give me the "we have to save lives!" line. Of course, we do, but we also have over 30,000 people die a year from car wrecks. Are we doing everything possible to limit those deaths? NO. We are not. We still have fast roads. Why? Because the economy would be so fucked if the speed limit nationwide went to like 10 mph.

We need some hard data from South Korea to find out who exactly is the most at risk(we can guess, but yeah we need facts) and then after two weeks of lockdown the rest of us go back to our lives and the at-risk population stays inside.

EDIT: No, I don't think what we are doing now is stupid or unwarranted. I just want some hope. I have no heard one word from a credible source on when we can go back to normal. Just estimates...from people I don't trust(Trump or my friend on Facebook).

SIGSEGV Mar 25, 2020 1:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 8872970)
At what point do we stop staying home? 2 weeks? 2 months? When?

At some point we have to realize we are doing more damage destroying people's lives than we are doing good. And don't give me the "we have to save lives!" line. Of course, we do, but we also have over 30,000 people die a year from car wrecks. Are we doing everything possible to limit those deaths? NO. We are not. We still have fast roads. Why? Because the economy would be so fucked if the speed limit nationwide went to like 10 mph.

We need some hard data from South Korea to find out who exactly is the most at risk(we can guess, but yeah we need facts) and then after two weeks of lockdown the rest of us go back to our lives and the at risk population stays inside.

Maybe we can let everyone who wants to risk their lives go outside after 2 weeks, while the rest of us watch and see what happens.


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.