SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

chris08876 Mar 13, 2020 3:51 AM

Might be time for investing in those Japanese toilets given the toilet paper shortage. I suppose water will do, water that is sprinkled into that area, a nice stream of water that if it had a conscious would have low job satisfaction.

pip Mar 13, 2020 4:15 AM

I worked remote today so I wasn't on the CTA trains but the day before they were as crowded as ever and everything else seemed the same. Walking around my neighborhood early tonight all seem normal except the grocery store which I went into to do my daily or weekly shopping, just wow it was busy.

Docere Mar 13, 2020 4:57 AM

Quote:

Thu., March 12, 2020timer1 min. read
Researchers from Sunnybrook, the University of Toronto and McMaster University in Hamilton have made a key breakthrough in the battle against COVID-19, the deadly virus that is causing a worldwide pandemic.

The team has isolated severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (known clinically as SARS-CoV-2), the agent responsible for the ongoing outbreak of COVID-19, the hospital said Thursday night on its website.

The isolated virus will help researchers in Canada and across the world develop better diagnostic testing, treatments and vaccines, and gain a better understanding of the biology and evolution of the virus, the hospital said.
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/202...ronavirus.html

dave8721 Mar 13, 2020 5:59 AM

Disney World has closed. I have not seen about Universal. Going to be a huge hit for Central Florida's economy.

suburbanite Mar 13, 2020 7:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Docere (Post 8860462)

I saw the University of Saskatchewan move towards testing:

https://i.redd.it/65nkfroitcm41.jpg

Makes for a good Onion/Beaverton headline, but doesn't really mean anything until they get to human trials.

ocman Mar 13, 2020 11:39 AM

I’m concerned stockpilers are going to hoard all the toilet paper. Why the hell do you need 6 months of toilet paper? Are you going in a bunker? I went to CVS and there was none. I went on Amazon, and all of it is out of stock.

Innsertnamehere Mar 13, 2020 11:56 AM

Me and my wife went to the grocery store quickly last night to pick something up we were missing for dinner and literally almost every person in there was scrambling for toilet paper. The place was super busy compared to normal too. I don’t get it? We stocked up on toilet paper at Costco like a month ago though so we have lots of stock and that’s why I’m not worrying... just doesn’t make sense to me.

hauntedheadnc Mar 13, 2020 12:32 PM

I'm a social worker, and got a grim email this morning from the state Department of Health and Human Services:

-- Expect a spike in occurrences of domestic violence, child physical abuse, and child sexual abuse, same as occurs on holidays or any other occasion when there is forced togetherness.

-- Expect children to go hungry if the schools close, because a lot of families cannot make up for the meal(s) the child won't be getting at school.

-- Expect a lot of foster families to request respite, where the child is temporarily housed somewhere else, or a change in placement where the child is completely removed from that foster home and placed in another. Expect this due to complications in finding childcare if the schools close.

-- Visits between parents and children go on, even if all of the staff but one is out sick.

-- "Deep clean" any rooms or facilities used for visitation. No further guidance.

-- In-home services and investigations continue. If one staff member falls ill, find another, and keep going until you run out of staff.

-- Many children are in the care of elderly kinship caregivers. Prepare for these caregivers to be ill or to die.

-- Expect the illness to sweep group homes and psychiatric residential treatment facilities

-- Fewer than 3% of youth who age out of foster care end up getting a 4-year college degree. Many of those who do, are living on college campuses -- if those campuses close their residential facilities, those youth will be effectively homeless.

Basically, the thrust of the email's gist was, "SURPRISE!! Here's a nasty present -- have fun figuring out how to deal with all of this! :))

Crawford Mar 13, 2020 1:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8859989)
^ yep, these closures seem to be working like dominoes right now.

woo-hoo! now my wife and i get to work from home AND have our 4 and 5 year olds interrupting us all day long.

I'm already stir-crazy. I don't know how I'm gonna survive a month (or more?!) like this.

chris08876 Mar 13, 2020 1:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 8860573)
I'm already stir-crazy. I don't know how I'm gonna survive a month (or more?!) like this.



Louis CK | My life as a father...

Video Link



This might be for you Crawford. :haha:

JManc Mar 13, 2020 1:25 PM

I have a 50 mile commute (each way) for my MBA once a week, at least I won't have to do that again until at least August as they're moving classes online.

10023 Mar 13, 2020 1:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8860398)
Might be time for investing in those Japanese toilets given the toilet paper shortage. I suppose water will do, water that is sprinkled into that area, a nice stream of water that if it had a conscious would have low job satisfaction.

You still use toilet paper with a Toto.

A detachable shower head on a cord with good water pressure can do wonders though. :haha:

hauntedheadnc Mar 13, 2020 1:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8860592)
You still use toilet paper with a Toto.

A detachable shower head on a cord with good water pressure can do wonders though. :haha:

Having spent time in London, I have to ask... If you do have such a wondrous device at hand, which switch on the wall do you flip to get it to come on? Or do you have to ask the neighbors to do something -- or does it involve semaphore? Whenever I've spent time in London, I've always spent it in places where the plumbing and electrical fixtures tend to function like a science fair project or something from a journal of theoretical architecture.

Northern Light Mar 13, 2020 2:18 PM

Just announced, Toronto's CN Tower is closed to the public as at end of day, til April 14th.

hauntedheadnc Mar 13, 2020 2:23 PM

Asheville in the time of coronavirus:

High demand for elderberry syrup amid coronavirus fears

Restaurants double down on cleaning, brace for coronavirus impacts

Answer Man: Coronavirus having local tourism impacts? More to come?

WonderlandPark3 Mar 13, 2020 2:26 PM

It certainly IS real, the TV show I work on is shutting down for the season. I just kissed $3 grand in pay bye bye, so a real material loss and a ton of uncertainty as to getting my next gig.

10023 Mar 13, 2020 2:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc (Post 8860597)
Having spent time in London, I have to ask... If you do have such a wondrous device at hand, which switch on the wall do you flip to get it to come on? Or do you have to ask the neighbors to do something -- or does it involve semaphore? Whenever I've spent time in London, I've always spent it in places where the plumbing and electrical fixtures tend to function like a science fair project or something from a journal of theoretical architecture.

I have 3 major pet peeves with this country:

1) a lack of air conditioning anywhere;

2) placement of combination washer/dryer machines (for clothes!) in the kitchen, taking up valuable storage space; and

3) no proper electrical outlets in the bathroom, as if it’s still the 1920s and there’s a live exposed current that will catch fire if exposed to steam.


The light switches being outside of the bathroom I have gotten used to (and will instinctively look for them there in other countries), and separate hot/cold taps mostly remain in places like pubs which are trying to be old-timey on purpose.

Crawford Mar 13, 2020 2:57 PM

Wait, in the UK, you wash your clothes in the kitchen? Odd.

montréaliste Mar 13, 2020 3:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8860656)
I have 3 major pet peeves with this country:

1) a lack of air conditioning anywhere;

2) placement of combination washer/dryer machines (for clothes!) in the kitchen, taking up valuable storage space; and

3) no proper electrical outlets in the bathroom, as if it’s still the 1920s and there’s a live exposed current that will catch fire if exposed to steam.


The light switches being outside of the bathroom I have gotten used to (and will instinctively look for them there in other countries), and separate hot/cold taps mostly remain in places like pubs which are trying to be old-timey on purpose.



Yes, but the good thing is you pay insane money for what little you got. At least You're making someone out there happy.

sopas ej Mar 13, 2020 3:57 PM

Overheard at work:

"Probably all the cure is for coronavirus is snake venom and tequila."


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.