SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | Cirrus & Cascade (LSE) | 562' & 403' FT | 52 & 37 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239946)

BonoboZill4 Aug 23, 2019 3:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiPlanner (Post 8667136)
Sales Center
Permit issued: 7/22/2019
Address: 408 E South Water St
NEW CONSTRUCTION OF A TRIPLE-WIDE TRAILER FOR USE AS A 3-YEAR TEMPORARY SALES CENTER FOR LENDLEASE AS PER PLANS.

Okay, good to know!

cozy Aug 23, 2019 4:51 PM

Thanks for the update bono

maru2501 Aug 23, 2019 5:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 (Post 8667192)
at this point would it be premature banaculation?

no I take pills now

phanta721 Aug 23, 2019 5:32 PM

8/23/19 - Aon 70th Floor
 
https://i.imgur.com/nb9hrwM.jpg?1

bgsrand Aug 23, 2019 5:58 PM

General question on caisson locations....obviously there is site survey work done before Case arrives onsite but is there someone there who premarks the locations of each caisson, do they measure the site based off plans? I only see pictures so I never see the work that gets done prior to the drilling.

harryc Aug 23, 2019 6:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgsrand (Post 8667464)
General question on caisson locations....obviously there is site survey work done before Case arrives onsite but is there someone there who premarks the locations of each caisson, do they measure the site based off plans? I only see pictures so I never see the work that gets done prior to the drilling.

After the site is prepped Somebody comes out and puts in stakes in the appropriate places. I think they then verify the exact location with surveyors before the bit bites the soil. Given the amount of driving around with big and small vehicles I don't think they even put the stakes in until the rig is in place.

Definitely UC, watched them pouring a pier today.

Tom In Chicago Aug 26, 2019 10:55 PM

Some snapshots from yesterday. . . looks like a good start. . .






















. . .

Skyguy_7 Aug 27, 2019 12:42 AM

The lack of bananas is Sad! C’mon guys, let’s enjoy this BOOM while we can. What a time to be alive!

:banana::dancing::banana::dancing::banana::pepper::dancing::banana::dancing::banana::dancing::banana::dancing::banana:

cozy Aug 27, 2019 3:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 8669828)
The lack of bananas is Sad! C’mon guys, let’s enjoy this BOOM while we can. What a time to be alive!

:banana::dancing::banana::dancing::banana::pepper::dancing::banana::dancing::banana::dancing::banana::dancing::banana:

I have been too lazy to upload the pics and videos i've taken at the site but boy oh boy do I have banana fever!!!! Dig, dig, dig!!!!

:dancing: :banana: :awesome: :dancing: :banana: :awesome: :dancing: :banana: :awesome: :dancing: :banana: :awesome:


:multibow: :multibow:

Donnie77 Aug 27, 2019 4:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cozy (Post 8669941)
I have been too lazy to upload the pics and videos i've taken at the site but boy oh boy do I have banana fever!!!! Dig, dig, dig!!!!

:dancing: :banana: :awesome: :dancing: :banana: :awesome: :dancing: :banana: :awesome: :dancing: :banana: :awesome:


:multibow: :multibow:

i'm in :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing:

Ricochet48 Aug 27, 2019 6:10 PM

Anyone sign up for the email list to get the floor plans? Curious to see what the $450K 1 Bedroom is like... more of a micro-apartment or a 900+sqft 1.5BA wit a small den / nook?

The list of amenities look very legit. Bike+dog washing, golf sim, great views for the fireworks, etc.

The Pimp Aug 27, 2019 6:17 PM

These two buildings are nothing but filler. I'm very disappointed. Such a prominent location only to have two turds go up.

Donnie77 Aug 27, 2019 6:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pimp (Post 8670377)
These two buildings are nothing but filler. I'm very disappointed. Such a prominent location only to have two turds go up.

Yes because who doesn't love living next to a noisy highway? Apparently now days all of Chicago is is a prominent location....:uhh:

kolchak Aug 27, 2019 6:46 PM

:banana: Nice development. Will be interesting to see how they navigate lakefront access.

chicubs111 Aug 27, 2019 7:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donnie77 (Post 8670391)
Yes because who doesn't love living next to a noisy highway? Apparently now days all of Chicago is is a prominent location....:uhh:

umm...you serious?...these building have unobstructed lake views forever...there are only so many of these types of open land plots available on the north side..let alone the heart of the city.....and yes lakeshore drive apartments next to a "noisy highway" are never a big seller :koko: … I understand they negotiated for smaller buildings here so the corner lot could get taller but I mean anything less than 60 floors at this locations does seem like a waste

Steely Dan Aug 27, 2019 7:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicubs111 (Post 8670456)
I understand they negotiated for smaller buildings here so the corner lot could get taller but I mean anything less than 60 floors at this locations does seem like a waste

from a skyline perspective, that's a pretty great trade.

i'd MUCH rather have a 950 footer with two shorter sidekicks than three ~700' buildings at this location.

Donnie77 Aug 27, 2019 7:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8670464)
from a skyline perspective, that's a pretty great trade.

i'd MUCH rather have a 950 footer with two shorter sidekicks than three ~700' buildings at this location.

Good point

chicubs111 Aug 27, 2019 8:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8670464)
from a skyline perspective, that's a pretty great trade.

i'd MUCH rather have a 950 footer with two shorter sidekicks than three ~700' buildings at this location.

dont know...how about just two 900 ft buildings and no third building?...anyways i would prefer all 3 buildings to be allowed to build to maximum or atleast 900ft considering there all bordering the highway and have permanent lake views... i guess the zoning of lakeshoreast at the time didn't have that in mind.

cozy Aug 27, 2019 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolchak (Post 8670413)
:banana: Nice development. Will be interesting to see how they navigate lakefront access.

Pretty well, IMO

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/uzX5...fa3bd3bb_k.jpg

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/kRJC...920498_k.0.jpg

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/nWUc...6.15.23_PM.png

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Ouo3...6.17.21_PM.png

cozy Aug 27, 2019 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pimp (Post 8670377)
These two buildings are nothing but filler. I'm very disappointed. Such a prominent location only to have two turds go up.

I don't mind the turds (they really are such boring buildings, but huge buildings nonetheless). Help fuel the city's economy and drive construction for the next cycle - we can't always win with these profit-focused developers and we can't forget how much more room we have along the north and south branch of the river for the coming decades. Hopefully we will see our skyline expand (the 78, Lincoln Yards) as well as improve (Parcel I, Spire site).

:cheers:

LouisVanDerWright Aug 27, 2019 11:54 PM

^^^^

A. Are those gold stripes? That's pretty bold.

B. Between this pair and Vista LSE is going to really be transformed when it comes to connectvity. It will be possible to meanader in off the lakefront and right up onto Upper Wacker or over to Maggie Daley Park, no more endless flights of stairs and underground streets. A whole new pathway to the Lakefront and loop connecting the River, Lake, and Grant/Daley/Millenium Park.

cozy Aug 28, 2019 1:16 AM

Yes! Thank you louis. The main reason I'm excited for this project + the completion of Vista

HomrQT Aug 28, 2019 1:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donnie77 (Post 8670391)
Yes because who doesn't love living next to a noisy highway? Apparently now days all of Chicago is is a prominent location....:uhh:

To be fair this is Lake Shore East, and at this point most of downtown is a "prominent location" in relation to the rest of the city as we march ever along into the "Manhattanization" (read all lot parcels being gobbled up) of downtown Chicago.

rlw777 Aug 28, 2019 2:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8670464)
from a skyline perspective, that's a pretty great trade.

i'd MUCH rather have a 950 footer with two shorter sidekicks than three ~700' buildings at this location.

also having mostly somewhat shorter buildings at the lake shore allows for more depth in the skyline and is actually a better strategy for maximizing the value of the land both at the lake shore and further inland.

SamInTheLoop Aug 28, 2019 2:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pimp (Post 8670377)
These two buildings are nothing but filler. I'm very disappointed. Such a prominent location only to have two turds go up.


Turds is way harsh for these two. They're solid contributions. Not thrilling I'll grant, but they're a step up from the Lowenberg and DeStefano towers at LSE.

The Pimp Aug 28, 2019 3:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cozy (Post 8670752)
I don't mind the turds (they really are such boring buildings, but huge buildings nonetheless). Help fuel the city's economy and drive construction for the next cycle - we can't always win with these profit-focused developers and we can't forget how much more room we have along the north and south branch of the river for the coming decades. Hopefully we will see our skyline expand (the 78, Lincoln Yards) as well as improve (Parcel I, Spire site).

:cheers:

I completely agree.

The Pimp Aug 28, 2019 3:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop (Post 8670936)
Turds is way harsh for these two. They're solid contributions. Not thrilling I'll grant, but they're a step up from the Lowenberg and DeStefano towers at LSE.

They are solid contributions. No doubt. But, not for this location. It doesn't matter what we say any way.

Skyguy_7 Aug 28, 2019 5:54 PM

They are solid additions. The park/green space is a nice solution to connect to the existing street level to the West, but a handicap person's nightmare. Look at all those switchbacks!

Tom In Chicago Aug 28, 2019 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 8671646)
They are solid additions. The park/green space is a nice solution to connect to the existing street level to the West, but a handicap person's nightmare. Look at all those switchbacks!

Handicap people can simply take the elevator across the street. . .

. . .

Skyguy_7 Aug 29, 2019 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago (Post 8671965)
Handicap people can simply take the elevator across the street. . .

. . .

Of course; I am sure there are multiple options. Looking on the bright side, to some handicapped, the trip down would be a dream! They'd feel like they were racing at Monaco.

bhawk66 Aug 29, 2019 4:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 8672393)
Of course; I am sure there are multiple options. Looking on the bright side, to some handicapped, the trip down would be a dream! They'd feel like they were racing at Monaco.

wow

Donnie77 Aug 29, 2019 5:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 8672393)
Of course; I am sure there are multiple options. Looking on the bright side, to some handicapped, the trip down would be a dream! They'd feel like they were racing at Monaco.

:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

F1 Tommy Aug 29, 2019 5:31 PM

I think these two buildings are rather nice and will compliment the 900-1000ft corner tower nicely making it like a bookend. That has sort of been one of Chicago's trademarks with Sears on one end and JH on the other(don't really care what they call them now officially) Any skyline argument between NYC and Chicago gets trumped by the more balanced look of Chicago compared to NYC partly due to the big black bookends

BonoboZill4 Aug 29, 2019 5:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1 Tommy (Post 8672757)
I think these two buildings are rather nice and will compliment the 900-1000ft corner tower nicely making it like a bookend. That has sort of been one of Chicago's trademarks with Sears on one end and JH on the other(don't really care what they call them now officially) Any skyline argument between NYC and Chicago gets trumped by the more balanced look of Chicago compared to NYC partly due to the big black bookends

That's definitely one of the reasons I like how the skyline isn't totally filled to the brim with supertalls. The space between the buildings lets them breathe and creates wonderful peaks and valleys. If everything was tall, I just don't think it would look (as) good. If all the supertalls for the river confluence are built though, it'll be interesting to see, since we have never had supertalls clustered like that before. There will only be a handful of blocks separating Trump, Aon, Pru2, Vista, Site I, 400n LSD, Tribune 2 and potentially whatever takes up the NBC lots. Hopefully it turns out more like Shanghai and less like Dubai

dan ryan Aug 29, 2019 6:38 PM

The thing I keep coming back to is how messy the stretch of buildings on Wacker, from Vista to Parcel I, look.
https://i.imgur.com/By4toTS.jpg

Vlajos Aug 29, 2019 6:51 PM

^messy? I'm not seeing anything messy.

SamInTheLoop Aug 29, 2019 9:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhawk66 (Post 8672685)
wow



Ummm. Yeah. Not sure that's how many would see it.

Zapatan Aug 30, 2019 12:39 AM

My gosh I hope that view is real someday (like that those towers actually happen in real life instead of being visionary) :yes:

harryc Aug 30, 2019 2:53 AM

Aug 23










Aug 27


#TallShipWindy

Skyguy_7 Aug 30, 2019 3:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryc (Post 3767881)


Wow the site is really buzzing! Anyone know what the big hole is in the foreground? Swimming pool?


..;)

the urban politician Aug 30, 2019 3:26 PM

^ It gets hot in the midday and the workers sometimes need to take an afternoon swim to cool off

RedCorsair87 Aug 30, 2019 4:22 PM

^Don't tease us! Daddy needs a new terracotta skyscraper (or two!)

cozy Sep 1, 2019 5:54 PM

Footage from August 23rd:

Peering in through south fence at ground level


Looking down from N Harbor Dr

Misc pics:

https://i.imgur.com/yjSFYCC.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/mz9dWvH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8alJQJS.jpg

rivernorthlurker Sep 1, 2019 6:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cozy (Post 8675060)

Dats a big job site.

cozy Sep 1, 2019 6:34 PM

^ Right!!

With cars flying across LSD in the background, this site is so beautifully complex.

Very excited to see where the tower cranes pop up

aaron38 Sep 3, 2019 3:43 AM

Given that it's all one organization, wouldn't it make the most sense to put in all the caissons for Site I at the same time as these? What's the setup/teardown cost versus the incremental labor cost? And won't setup/teardown be harder with a smaller footprint next time?

skysoar Sep 3, 2019 4:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 8673700)
Wow the site is really buzzing! Anyone know what the big hole is in the foreground? Swimming pool?


..;)

This site is the Related, or former Spire site correct, and not the Cirrus and Cascade site at LSE?

harryc Sep 3, 2019 1:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skysoar (Post 8675959)
This site is the Related, or former Spire site correct, and not the Cirrus and Cascade site at LSE?

Correct - and 400 is still a nice open space with natural fauna.

Ned.B Sep 3, 2019 1:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron38 (Post 8675943)
Given that it's all one organization, wouldn't it make the most sense to put in all the caissons for Site I at the same time as these? What's the setup/teardown cost versus the incremental labor cost? And won't setup/teardown be harder with a smaller footprint next time?

They probably would see some cost savings to do them at the same time, both in saved mobilization and rising costs of future construction. But in order to do them at the same time, they would need to have the site I design and drawings completed to the point that they can fully develop and permit the foundation, they would need to be certain that future market forces or other factors would not significantly change the design of Site I to be able to use the same foundation, and related to that be certain enough that construction om Site I will happen soon enough and still under Related ownership to make early foundation construction make sense. So it's weighing cost savings against potential risk.

Skyguy_7 Sep 3, 2019 5:32 PM

^This brings us back to the recent post I made in Site I thread. On 8/16, Tom Kerwin posted a photo celebrating the groundbreaking of all these sites including site I. I doubt he made a gaffe. The Architect likely knows something we don't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skysoar (Post 8675959)
This site is the Related, or former Spire site correct, and not the Cirrus and Cascade site at LSE?

Yep, I was just yanking your chain.


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.