SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | Cirrus & Cascade (LSE) | 562' & 403' FT | 52 & 37 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239946)

BVictor1 Feb 17, 2021 1:06 AM

From an architectural aspect, I'm fairly unimpressed with these two towers.

Zapatan Feb 17, 2021 3:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 9192691)

They're simple but elegant IMO. I'm personally impressed, they seem VE'd just the right amount (w/o looking too boring)

Kumdogmillionaire Feb 17, 2021 5:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 9192691)

If nothing else, they are more interesting than most of the other towers in LSE

The Pimp Feb 17, 2021 6:33 PM

Nothing more than filler.... Boring; short and completely unremarkable. This is the front door to the city. Instead of something really beautiful we got something off the shelf at home depot. IMO.

Chi-Sky21 Feb 17, 2021 7:26 PM

Look pretty good to me, much better than some of their neighbors in LSE. Also we gain the connection to the lakefront with this also.

left of center Feb 19, 2021 3:53 AM

I think the proportions are off, they appear short and stubby. For such a prominent site, Magellan probably could have done better. Lets hope Site I dazzles us and draws the eye away from these ;)

Kumdogmillionaire Feb 20, 2021 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pimp (Post 9193425)
Nothing more than filler.... Boring; short and completely unremarkable. This is the front door to the city. Instead of something really beautiful we got something off the shelf at home depot. IMO.

Last time this was the front door to the city was like 1946

harryc Feb 21, 2021 9:20 PM

Feb 16

The Pimp Feb 22, 2021 2:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire (Post 9196535)
Last time this was the front door to the city was like 1946

In your opinion. Meh...

Bombardier Feb 22, 2021 2:24 PM

Came across this virtual tour that the CBC did back in December:

https://www.chicagobuildingcongress.org/media/

rivernorthlurker Feb 22, 2021 3:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 9195009)
I think the proportions are off, they appear short and stubby. For such a prominent site, Magellan probably could have done better. Lets hope Site I dazzles us and draws the eye away from these ;)

Yeah agree the forms are pretty banal - but I think the copper is :cheers:. These are 40-50 floor condo buildings and I think think they are batting over .300 for that genre.

rivernorthlurker Feb 22, 2021 3:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker (Post 9197573)
Yeah agree the forms are pretty banal - but I think the copper is :cheers:. These are 40-50 floor condo buildings and I think think they are batting over .300 for that genre.

The awkward form is pretty similar to 465 N Park actually, which I weirdly sort of like.

chicubs111 Feb 22, 2021 4:10 PM

Yes...both these are not very graceful by any means in there dimensions. The bigger building might be the shortest looking 550ft building I have seen. The glass might be there saving grace though because at least they strayed away from the repetitive variations of blue.

Toasty Joe Feb 22, 2021 4:37 PM

they both could use one more setback culminating in some sort of crown, but that still might not solve how squat these look.

chicubs111 Feb 22, 2021 9:39 PM

I mean i don't know about background towers... the smaller one yes but the larger one is straight on center unobstructed views of the lake and nothing will be in front of it so its kind of a hard tower to fade in the background...If this building could of been a little more interesting in design and had some height closer to 700ft range would of done a world of difference.

left of center Feb 23, 2021 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker (Post 9197578)
The awkward form is pretty similar to 465 N Park actually, which I weirdly sort of like.

Yes they totally remind me of 465 N Park! That tower has the exact same problem... if they were all maybe 100 ft taller it would be such a dramatic improvement.

That said, if I had to say something nice about these towers, I do like the glass. Nice to see something that isn't a plain sky blue. The contrasting gold/brown glass gives them an interesting 80's vibe, in a good way.

Toasty Joe Mar 9, 2021 4:26 AM

https://twitter.com/BuildingChi/stat...88251483545603

chris08876 Mar 11, 2021 1:00 AM

Shame it isn't taller OR more importantly, doesn't have a higher unit count. I suppose it adds a bit of symmetry to the area (from this angle) but IMO, seems a little blunted by the surroundings. You also have that sore thumb tower sticking out on the left.

Like some said in the past, nothing but a filler. Which is a shame when you consider the location, ya know? I mean prime waterfront (lake) views, and they squander it with underwhelming towers.

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/busin...535625b32.jpeg
Credit: Nenad Spasojevic

Zapatan Mar 11, 2021 1:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 9214368)
Shame it isn't taller OR more importantly, doesn't have a higher unit count. I suppose it adds a bit of symmetry to the area (from this angle) but IMO, seems a little blunted by the surroundings. You also have that sore thumb tower sticking out on the left.

Like some said in the past, nothing but a filler. Which is a shame when you consider the location, ya know? I mean prime waterfront (lake) views, and they squander it with underwhelming towers.

This is a whole complex including Parcel I. If that gets built it'll be the signature tower.

I guess there could've been several very tall buildings in such a prime location though, like Hudson Yards.

donnie Mar 11, 2021 1:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 9214393)
This is a whole complex including Parcel I. If that gets built it'll be the signature tower.

I guess there could've been several very tall buildings in such a prime location though, like Hudson Yards.

Hudson Yards was a remarkable idea that turned out very unremarkable results!:tup: