SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | NEMA Chicago | 896 FT | 81 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218570)

BVictor1 Dec 18, 2018 5:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombardier (Post 8412134)
There is allegedly a 900' PGH tower being budgeted right now by Wood Partners called Alta Grant Park for the last parcel. Has anyone seen it or have renderings?

Never heard that Crescent Heights had sold that parcel.

gebs Dec 20, 2018 3:37 PM

Does everyone remember when the idea was floated to paint the Sears tower white/silver in hopes of (a) attracting more tenants and (b) minimizing its HVAC load?

I can't find the original Sun-Times story, but several outlets reference it (Huffington Post and io9)

Makes you wonder if Viñoly was inspired by that controversial suggestion.

Skyguy_7 Dec 20, 2018 4:12 PM

^ I do. I believe it also involved replacing all the bronze windows. I mentioned this once on the General thread; the tower would look absolutely awesome if they used the same clear glass as the new 3 story project at ground level. :yes:

The Lurker Dec 20, 2018 8:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gebs (Post 8415021)
Does everyone remember when the idea was floated to paint the Sears tower white/silver in hopes of (a) attracting more tenants and (b) minimizing its HVAC load?

I can't find the original Sun-Times story, but several outlets reference it (Huffington Post and io9)

Makes you wonder if Viñoly was inspired by that controversial suggestion.

Lol. He called huffingon post a news outlet.

jc5680 Dec 20, 2018 9:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Lurker (Post 8415400)
Lol. He called huffingon post a news outlet.

Pretty sure you are the one who added news in there

PopulusRomanus Dec 24, 2018 6:19 AM

I created an account just to post this after lurking here for months. Please forgive me if I have made any errors, etc.

The high rise I am building is finally tall enough to see the lake behind buildings when looking North

Summary: The author of this reddit post claims to be part of the construction crew for NEMA. In addition to posting a pretty sweet sick pic of the view from the tower, they also say that the foundation is in for the twin. I haven't heard anything about that on the forum yet, so that's pretty newsworthy. Looks like the twin is go?

aaron38 Dec 24, 2018 7:31 AM

That author is confused. Drilling caissons isn’t something that goes unnoticed in this town.

PopulusRomanus Dec 24, 2018 8:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron38 (Post 8418099)
That author is confused. Drilling caissons isn’t something that goes unnoticed in this town.

I'll ask him on reddit, hopefully he replies with clarification. That does seem like a really hard thing to slip under the radar.

maru2501 Dec 24, 2018 3:32 PM

meanwhile welcome to the forum

harryc Dec 24, 2018 3:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PopulusRomanus (Post 8418075)
I created an account just to post this after lurking here for months. Please forgive me if I have made any errors, etc.

The high rise I am building is finally tall enough to see the lake behind buildings when looking North

...snip...

Quite the view - ty and welcome to the group

Steely Dan Dec 24, 2018 3:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryc (Post 8418195)
Quite the viewgroup

but check out that shadow in the park.

so many kids are gonna get cancer.

Tom In Chicago Dec 24, 2018 3:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8418199)
but check out that shadow in the park.

so many kids are gonna get cancer.

. . . or rickets

. . .

PopulusRomanus Dec 24, 2018 4:43 PM

I have heard back!

Quote:

The foundation is literally complete. Right now the top of it functions as a concrete laydown area. As far as the second tower definitely happening, I have never heard otherwise, although the developer did say they may want to wait a few months after completing the first to generate some revenue before starting it.

the urban politician Dec 24, 2018 5:19 PM

^ Wait a few "months"? Damn!

Steely Dan Dec 24, 2018 5:28 PM

i just reviewed all of the construction pics posted in this thread from the caisson drilling phase of this project (look back round page 25).

there was not one single picture posted that showed any caisson drilling ever taking place on the western half of the property.

the report from this reddit users who claims that the foundations for the 2nd tower are already in the ground is almost certainly erroneous.

maru2501 Dec 24, 2018 5:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago (Post 8418200)
. . . or rickets

. . .


Or Ricketts..

BonoboZill4 Dec 24, 2018 6:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8418268)
i just reviewed all of the construction pics posted in this thread from the caisson drilling phase of this project (look back round page 25).

there was not one single picture posted that showed any caisson drilling ever taking place on the western half of the property.

the report from this reddit users who claims that the foundations for the 2nd tower are already in the ground is almost certainly erroneous.

Yeah I remember reading that guy's comment and I just let it pass. Nothing much to gain from calling a guy out and making him look dumb on his own post. You're definitely right, no way they put in any of the foundation or caissons for the second tower

BonoboZill4 Dec 24, 2018 6:01 PM

https://i.imgur.com/3AeP12z.jpg

SpireGuy Dec 24, 2018 7:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 (Post 8418296)

Is it topped out? Also, anyone know if it's going to have another step near the top or are they just going to build the box?

Fvn Dec 25, 2018 2:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpireGuy (Post 8418348)
Is it topped out? Also, anyone know if it's going to have another step near the top or are they just going to build the box?

Core looks to be... dunno about floors though. Maybe steel the rest of the way


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.