SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | NEMA Chicago | 896 FT | 81 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218570)

Zerton Jan 15, 2019 9:22 PM

I don't like that exposed core section. Is that just going to be painted white?

AMWChicago Jan 15, 2019 9:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zerton (Post 8437662)
I don't like that exposed core section. Is that just going to be painted white?

Couldn't they just put a fake façade on it and design it the same way as the rest of the building?

gebs Jan 15, 2019 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMWChicago (Post 8437689)
Couldn't they just put a fake façade on it and design it the same way as the rest of the building?

That was my guess, though I wouldn't be surprised if there were some code or structural issues that could limit that. But I'm neither a structural engineer nor a building code specialist, so who knows ...

Zerton Jan 15, 2019 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gebs (Post 8437754)
That was my guess, though I wouldn't be surprised if there were some code or structural issues that could limit that. But I'm neither a structural engineer nor a building code specialist, so who knows ...

There aren't any codes or structural/fire issues that I can think of if it is designed properly (I'm an architect).
It's typical to cover expanses like that in a "dummy facade", be it metal panel, glass to match, etc. Although given the facade treatment of the rest of the building it looks like they are just going to paint it white and leave it exposed.

SteelMonkey Jan 15, 2019 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maru2501 (Post 8435986)
I think the question is whether the white box frame top thing is still going up there or not

I have only seen the white box crown in the initial renderings. If you look at the model Vinoly had and presented (pages 1-3 on this topic) and also at the updated photos in Crescent Heights Portfolio it does not show the white box "crown". The above photo looks the same albeit the angle may make the highest vertical column seem more squat


https://www.crescentheights.com/portfolio/nema-chicago

SteelMonkey Jan 15, 2019 11:04 PM

[quote=

lakeshoredrive Jan 15, 2019 11:40 PM

Thinking about renting an apartment... the rent is reasonable for a one bedroom apt. There’s one that actually comes with a den. The downside is that the highest floor that it’s available in is the eighth floor. There’s a cheaper one bedroom apartment that would have a living room/kitchen view of grant park from the 43rd floor, but the bedroom doesn’t not have windows.

Fvn Jan 16, 2019 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zerton (Post 8437766)
There aren't any codes or structural/fire issues that I can think of if it is designed properly (I'm an architect).
It's typical to cover expanses like that in a "dummy facade", be it metal panel, glass to match, etc. Although given the facade treatment of the rest of the building it looks like they are just going to paint it white and leave it exposed.

I mean look at Vista, part of its facade is over the sheer walls and it looks like the rest of the windows

rgarri4 Jan 16, 2019 1:15 AM

It's the angle that's making the top look squat.

PittsburghPA Jan 16, 2019 1:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive (Post 8437898)
Thinking about renting an apartment... the rent is reasonable for a one bedroom apt. There’s one that actually comes with a den. The downside is that the highest floor that it’s available in is the eighth floor. There’s a cheaper one bedroom apartment that would have a living room/kitchen view of grant park from the 43rd floor, but the bedroom doesn’t not have windows.

Lakeshoredrive do you have any problem in sharing what the rates are?

Also my motto when choosing apartments is the bedroom is purely for function and little of my time is ever spent there other than sleep. It's all about 43rd floor with view of Grant Park, just my preference. Also which direction did it face? I'd think any view on the North or East side (assuming you can't see GP from West or South) would be pretty epic.

Best of luck on the apartment hunt!

BonoboZill4 Jan 16, 2019 1:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgarri4 (Post 8438026)
It's the angle that's making the top look squat.

That's definitely what it is. If you look closely you can tell that middle tallest portion on the view from below has different glazing than the rest of the tower, which is only like that on the tallest and skinniest portion in the aerial rendering. :tup:

BVictor1 Jan 16, 2019 9:21 AM

Final vertical thrust...

01/15/19

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...630273/enhance

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...630246/enhance

detroitmetro101 Jan 16, 2019 11:06 AM

so i am pretty sure others have noted the homage to the sears/willis tower by this building.

Skyguy_7 Jan 16, 2019 12:59 PM

^ Actually, it's a Sears tower copy-cat and should be demolished immediately. (Check back a couple pages) :haha:

Zerton Jan 16, 2019 4:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteelMonkey (Post 8437837)
I have only seen the white box crown in the initial renderings. If you look at the model Vinoly had and presented (pages 1-3 on this topic) and also at the updated photos in Crescent Heights Portfolio it does not show the white box "crown". The above photo looks the same albeit the angle may make the highest vertical column seem more squat


https://www.crescentheights.com/portfolio/nema-chicago

Aside from the crown, in this rendering the exposed core part has a dummy/fake glass facade covering. I hope they still do that. :fingerscrossed:

ithakas Jan 16, 2019 4:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zerton (Post 8438587)
Aside from the crown, in this rendering the exposed core part has a dummy/fake glass facade covering. I hope they still do that. :fingerscrossed:

Yeah, the exposed core at the top has had me a bit nervous about what's developed into an otherwise excellent tower. Hopefully they do cover it as depicted in the renderings.

BonoboZill4 Jan 17, 2019 2:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ithakas (Post 8438653)
Yeah, the exposed core at the top has had me a bit nervous about what's developed into an otherwise excellent tower. Hopefully they do cover it as depicted in the renderings.

I'm hardly concerned. All of Vista's concrete will be covered up, so I'd imagine the same here

Bombardier Jan 17, 2019 3:44 AM

wt

PittsburghPA Jan 17, 2019 3:48 AM

Yes! I love the cube. Very unique design aspect.

SIGSEGV Jan 17, 2019 4:24 AM

I wonder where 800 units ranks in terms of apartment buildings in Chicago. I know Presidential Towers has over 2000 units, but that's split over 4 towers...


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.