SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | NEMA Chicago | 896 FT | 81 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218570)

BuildThemTaller Dec 26, 2018 4:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 (Post 8418296)

This view has me feeling some way.

I was back in Chicago on Monday and took the South Shore to visit the parents in Indiana. The views of Essex Tower, NEMA, and Paragon (or whatever they are calling the one south of Roosevelt on Michigan) are exceptional from street/rail level. That area clustered around the intersection of Roosevelt and Michigan is looking so good. Just need a couple more signature towers and some additional 300, 400, and 500 footers south along Michigan to complete the look.

Now I can't wait to see South Bank/Riverline/the 78 to start filling in to extend the central core of the downtown all the way south to Cermak.

pianowizard Dec 26, 2018 4:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller (Post 8419044)
Just need a couple more signature towers and some additional 300, 400, and 500 footers south along Michigan to complete the look.

Now I can't wait to see South Bank/Riverline/the 78 to start filling in to extend the central core of the downtown all the way south to Cermak.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw this photo/rendering posted two pages back. There is not much to see south of NEMA:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Baron (Post 8407917)


BuildThemTaller Dec 26, 2018 7:57 PM

^ That's a weird render. It seems to be missing the Hilton towers and Marriott Marquis at McCormick Place. The skyline could stand to add a few more towers than that, though.

BonoboZill4 Dec 27, 2018 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller (Post 8419172)
^ That's a weird render. It seems to be missing the Hilton towers and Marriott Marquis at McCormick Place. The skyline could stand to add a few more towers than that, though.

Yeah 1001 S State, and Essex too... they probably did that out of laziness to be honest. First time I've seen this specific rendering though

AMWChicago Dec 27, 2018 12:33 AM

I think we're making good progress there. I take the 'L' south to 35th a lot and you definitely feel the density while on the Green Line. The South Loop is doing a good job at filling in during the last two cycles. But it for sure dies once you pass Cermak. Basically just see 15-20 story Richard J. Daley Era projects along the coast.

BonoboZill4 Dec 27, 2018 3:11 AM

Quick snap when driving back South yesterday

https://i.imgur.com/TA4a8BE.jpg

harryc Dec 27, 2018 3:49 AM

^^ One heck of a nice snap.

BonoboZill4 Dec 27, 2018 1:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryc (Post 8419442)
^^ One heck of a nice snap.

Thanks, until posting it, I hadn't realized how well it was framed and lit! I mean look at the verticality!

gebs Dec 27, 2018 4:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMWChicago (Post 8419337)
I think we're making good progress there. I take the 'L' south to 35th a lot and you definitely feel the density while on the Green Line. The South Loop is doing a good job at filling in during the last two cycles. But it for sure dies once you pass Cermak. Basically just see 15-20 story Richard J. Daley Era projects along the coast.

Here's the view from the Cermak/Chinatown red line stop:

https://i.imgur.com/r30UzAUh.jpg

There is still a gap between the South Loop's construction boom and the one happening at McCormick place, but that'll just take one more cycle to bridge.

gebs Dec 27, 2018 4:17 PM

Seen from the south entrance to Soldier Field, 12/26/2018:

https://i.imgur.com/FldcjA4h.jpg

LouisVanDerWright Dec 27, 2018 5:12 PM

It doesn't look like they are topped out, it appears the center tube/core is going to rise a few more floors now that the south tube has set back. They probably can't use the existing self raising formwork for this since it's only a couple of floors and they've have to disassemble it pretty much right after they finish setting it up. I have a feeling they will be building three or so floors of form work by hand as they finish this up.

SolarWind Dec 27, 2018 8:02 PM

December 3, 2018





December 22, 2018






ChiRaz Dec 28, 2018 5:42 AM

Those are fantastic photos. I was driving up 90/94 to 55N to LSD - this tower dominates and reveals itself and peeks out at various points of that drive - all very impressive and actually quite stunning. Also, if you look at the models on post #1704 on p. 86 of this thread, if those are accurate, there are about 5 more floors to go on the South Central tube, which is the highest of all the tubes in those models. The Center Core/Tube appears to be about topped out, as it, per the model, it rises only about 3 floors higher than the NW Tube - which is obviously topped out. If they stay true to the model, my bet is they build up South Central tube 5 floors above the current highest point in the photos... Also, question for you all, the renderings all have windows on the N side of the Central tube - I can't tell from the above photos, but are those window openings covered with tarps? I couldn't imagine that would be 8 stories of a blank wall up there...

SteelMonkey Dec 28, 2018 6:33 PM

^^Great set Solar! Love the ferris wheel dueling towers shot

wojtek3 Dec 28, 2018 10:35 PM

beautiful tower , screams Chicago !

Greenview Dec 29, 2018 5:47 AM

Just took note looking at the skyline from the north side that this beast is quite visible from many vantage points. I've seen it from the brown line as it turns west after Belmont, I've also spotted this from Swedish Covenant Hospital out of the windows and from the roof of the garage. This is solidly in the south loop, but is already tall enough to make it's presence known from the north-northwest side of the city.

HomrQT Dec 29, 2018 1:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenview (Post 8420922)
Just took note looking at the skyline from the north side that this beast is quite visible from many vantage points. I've seen it from the brown line as it turns west after Belmont, I've also spotted this from Swedish Covenant Hospital out of the windows and from the roof of the garage. This is solidly in the south loop, but is already tall enough to make it's presence known from the north-northwest side of the city.

If the partner building to it is noticeably larger it could really effect the the shape of the skyline overall. Come onnn south loop supertall!

skyscraper Dec 29, 2018 3:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomrQT (Post 8421033)
If the partner building to it is noticeably larger it could really effect the the shape of the skyline overall. Come onnn south loop supertall!

its partner building cannot be a supertall. it wouldn't be much higher than 900 feet due to zoning restrictions. the ceiling on the highest occupiable level is 900 feet, but you can have mechanical levels above that, and there wouldn't be 100 feet of mechanical levels.

BonoboZill4 Dec 29, 2018 5:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyscraper (Post 8421063)
its partner building cannot be a supertall. it wouldn't be much higher than 900 feet due to zoning restrictions. the ceiling on the highest occupiable level is 900 feet, but you can have mechanical levels above that, and there wouldn't be 100 feet of mechanical levels.

Zoning changes happen all the time, and especially when a big developer is behind a project. This cycle alone we've seen dozens take place. Don't say "cannot"

jc5680 Dec 30, 2018 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 (Post 8421143)
Zoning changes happen all the time, and especially when a big developer is behind a project. This cycle alone we've seen dozens take place. Don't say "cannot"

Care to give some examples that would apply here?


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.