SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   CHICAGO | The 78 Site (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233449)

MorganChi Nov 1, 2018 5:07 PM

I’m surprise everyone is forgetting about apple wanting to build a second campus . I remember Rham saying the city would put their bid in either the 78 , Lincoln yards or the tribune master plan will be home to apple second campus

k1052 Nov 1, 2018 5:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MorganChi (Post 8365046)
I’m surprise everyone is forgetting about apple wanting to build a second campus . I remember Rham saying the city would put their bid in either the 78 , Lincoln yards or the tribune master plan will be home to apple second campus

Apple is extremely unlikely to do an urban campus anywhere under current management. It's not totally impossible but very very very improbable.

VKChaz Nov 1, 2018 5:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MorganChi (Post 8365046)

It was reported to land in the NC Research Triangle. But nothing was announced.

the urban politician Nov 1, 2018 5:56 PM

As long as I've been observing things, there has only been 1 local multitower mega-master planned community with 1 owner that has come to fruition (or at least is moving along as planned):

Lakeshore East.

I think of them has having beat the odds, frankly. I don't think it makes sense as a business plan, nor is it good for city-building. Flexibility through changing market conditions makes far sense.

To this day, I favor multiple lots with different ownership as the preferred means to get land developed, with the sole exception being if you're trying to land a huge campus like HQ2. The Master Developer concept is otherwise fraught with issues....

BonoboZill4 Nov 2, 2018 1:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8365118)
As long as I've been observing things, there has only been 1 local multitower mega-master planned community with 1 owner that has come to fruition (or at least is moving along as planned):

Lakeshore East.

I think of them has having beat the odds, frankly. I don't think it makes sense as a business plan, nor is it good for city-building. Flexibility through changing market conditions makes far sense.

To this day, I favor multiple lots with different ownership as the preferred means to get land developed, with the sole exception being if you're trying to land a huge campus like HQ2. The Master Developer concept is otherwise fraught with issues....

Do K-Station and Central Station not count? Also we already have another one well underway in Riverline. I get what you are saying, and I'm 100% with you that not all of these plans will get built, and none of them will be built as originally designed, since nothing is made that way, but don't you think there is a chance that at least a couple get built?

Especially with a company as big as Related at the helm of one. The 78 is peanuts to them! Sterling Bay's LY project is by far the biggest pipe dream IMO

Zapatan Nov 6, 2018 4:17 PM

So if I understand correctly, this'll basically be the Hudson Yards of Chicago?

That's insanely exciting :yes:

gebs Nov 6, 2018 4:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 8370304)
So if I understand correctly, this'll basically be the Hudson Yards of Chicago?

That's insanely exciting :yes:

Yep. I've been calling this area Chicago's Hudson Yards for a while now. Hope it actually happens as intended (note: with public transit upgrades)!

Zapatan Nov 6, 2018 4:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gebs (Post 8370315)
Yep. I've been calling this area Chicago's Hudson Yards for a while now. Hope it actually happens as intended (note: with public transit upgrades)!

Yea, it looks like it's zoned for potential supertalls too.

When would the first phase potentially start?

gebs Nov 6, 2018 4:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 8370366)
Yea, it looks like it's zoned for potential supertalls too.

When would the first phase potentially start?

There's a lot still to be worked out. The biggest initiative so far is the Discovery Partners Institute, which was a Rauner initiative. With today's election, if JP Pritzker is elected, it's unclear whether he will continue that initiative. I think he should, and so do a lot of people with considerably more business acumen.

And that's just one part of it -- the rest would depend on long-term demand and the speed at which neighboring developments (NEMA 2, Riverline, Old Post Office) get off the ground and fill up.

ardecila Nov 6, 2018 7:18 PM

^ As Pritzker keeps telling us on TV, he had a big hand in 1871... i'm sure he will support DPI or some revised version of the plan, especially if private backers are willing to come forward as Rauner claims. But Rauner kept deflecting, so it's likely that he wasn't able to find the private money he expected.

Not sure if DPI 2.0 will still go the The 78 as Rauner planned. There are plenty of other sites with good potential synergies. UI Labs is already on Goose Island, so they could expand there. Or they could look for a West Loop site that is close to Fulton Market tech companies and/or UIC.

BonoboZill4 Nov 7, 2018 4:34 AM

^ What is 1871?

marothisu Nov 7, 2018 4:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 (Post 8371279)
^ What is 1871?

Is that a serious question? Kind of a big reason why the amount of startups in Chicago went up quite a bit in the last handful of years

https://1871.com/about/

Natoma Nov 7, 2018 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 (Post 8371279)
^ What is 1871?

1871 was the year of the great fire. Pritzker had a big hand in it. He was spending the night in a barn and apparently kicks in his sleep...

F1 Tommy Nov 7, 2018 1:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natoma (Post 8371437)
1871 was the year of the great fire. Pritzker had a big hand in it. He was spending the night in a barn and apparently kicks in his sleep...

He also liked to snack in his sleep. I think Pritzker might actually help attract business to Illinois as he will raise taxes for the middle class to get the state finances in order. The 78 will move ahead, but with multiple companies. Maybe even Amazon if they keep splitting HQ2 into pieces.

BonoboZill4 Nov 8, 2018 1:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marothisu (Post 8371282)
Is that a serious question? Kind of a big reason why the amount of startups in Chicago went up quite a bit in the last handful of years

https://1871.com/about/

Yes... it was a serious question. Thank you for the link

Skyguy_7 Nov 13, 2018 9:18 PM

If Amazon discussions are not permitted in this thread, please advise where they are permitted.

Thanks.

Fvn Nov 13, 2018 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 8378110)
If Amazon discussions are not permitted in this thread, please advise where they are permitted.

Thanks.

Here I think?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...25033&page=118

Skyguy_7 Nov 13, 2018 10:52 PM

Thanks Fvn.

r18tdi Nov 15, 2018 7:48 PM

Plan Commission approved.

sentinel Nov 15, 2018 8:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r18tdi (Post 8380683)
Plan Commission approved.

Good. And Amazon can go fuck themselves.